AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Suisei no Gargantia

Notices

Old 2013-04-07, 22:18   Link #321
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Actually, it's a bit strange when you think about it. It's been only six months, but he was "dug" up?

Was he translocated straight into the ocean or something? I'm assuming he was pulled out of the ocean.

I also wonder why they keep using minutes and hours for such long periods of time, and if there's a reason for that, or if it's just the writer/director attempting to be dramatic or something.

One thing I don't particularly like (and it's totally a matter of taste, obviously), is the fascination with putting "blush" on the female faces, which has become more and more common recently (Tempest did this too). But, I guess that's just the natural progression of artwork in anime these days.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 22:41   Link #322
Allium
Keep on keeping on

What a great premiere episode. I haven't watched mecha anime lately, but this one stood out to me. The sci-fi setting is very strikingly vibrant, and reminiscent of Macross Frontier's, only with much more depth to it, such as Earth being a declining civilization. Ledo makes for an interesting protagonist, and the characters look pretty solid too.

In my opinion, Gargantia's main advantage would be its rather unique premise, so I hope they pull off the explanations and details well. I liked how the staff put in effort to make the languages differ, ie from Ledo's POV and Amy's POV.

Overall, a very good start. Honestly, I can't see this becoming a tragedy, and hopefully it'll stay as light-hearted as it looks.
Allium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-07, 22:46   Link #323
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allium View Post
What a great premiere episode. I haven't watched mecha anime lately, but this one stood out to me. The sci-fi setting is very strikingly vibrant, and reminiscent of Macross Frontier's, only with much more depth to it, such as Earth being a declining civilization. Ledo makes for an interesting protagonist, and the characters look pretty solid too.

In my opinion, Gargantia's main advantage would be its rather unique premise, so I hope they pull off the explanations and details well. I liked how the staff put in effort to make the languages differ, ie from Ledo's POV and Amy's POV.

Overall, a very good start. Honestly, I can't see this becoming a tragedy, and hopefully it'll stay as light-hearted as it looks.
I feel like they're already hinted at less than light-hearted things, with the seemingly totalitarian/utilitarian society of the protagonist, as an example.

Also, are they using Polish/German/Other eastern european words?
Also, cake.
Old 2013-04-07, 22:58   Link #324
Kirarakim

This was my favorite first episode of the season for sure. However I am trying not to raise my expectations too high because Gen never completely fulfills them in the end.

On another note I love Chamber.
Old 2013-04-07, 23:59   Link #325
ginger02

Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post

I also wonder why they keep using minutes and hours for such long periods of time, and if there's a reason for that, or if it's just the writer/director attempting to be dramatic or something.
I feel like a lot of mech and future-set shows do this to make it seem more...hi-tech, or maybe just set it apart from being normal. Perhaps trying to show the fact that these people might think differently.

I'm curious how the language barrier is gonna work.
ginger02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 00:10   Link #326
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger02 View Post
I'm curious how the language barrier is gonna work.
Looks like Chamber can translate.

But, it's also possible that their learning is sleep/dream induced (based off the whole "sleep development time" in the beginning of the episode), in which case it's entirely possible that Chamber can flash the language into Red's head.
Also, cake.
Old 2013-04-08, 00:15   Link #327
Haruyasha
名前は?
*Scanlator

Very well done episodes 1 and 2.. I have somewhat high expectations. (Just hope it doesn't run the course of Guilty Crown )
Haruyasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 00:58   Link #328
Pacify

How is everyone watching episode 2?

I really liked the opening, kinda sad its only a one cour
Pacify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 01:33   Link #329
ginger02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacify View Post
How is everyone watching episode 2?

I really liked the opening, kinda sad its only a one cour
I don't anyone is. Only 1 episode is out I believe.
ginger02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 01:46   Link #330
apsody243

No no episode 2 is also available its raw tho, Google is your friend at times like this.
apsody243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 02:01   Link #331
garbage

Oh man I'm loving this , this is my favorite type of shows adventures into unknown territories. Episode 1 was quite an opener, i'm willing to declare this my favorite this season, if they just continues as is,( and I have a feeling they will it's urobochi writing after all). and yes I love Hisako kanemoto and Ai kayanon much much, so yeah this is so much of a treat for me...

but why only 13 episodes >.<, for great world building & adventure I think at least 2 cour is needed, well hopingthey will continue with another season.

side note : the ship culture in gargantia reminds me a lot of Sakasama no Patema another show I like

hmm now that I reflect on it a bit this "town" is more like that engineering town in final fantasy 8( the one with the big solar panel) whose name escapes me at the moment.

Last edited by garbage; 2013-04-08 at 02:15.
garbage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 03:14   Link #332
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Out of all the premier episodes from this new season, this was the best one. I was actually expecting Attack on Titans to be the best, but although the pilot episode of that was good, it did come across as incredibly over the top and hammy... and Yuki Kaiji is in it does not bode well for me.

This on the other hand was spectacular. Visuals are are amazing, the mecha designs are amazing and at least for now, you could have fooled me that Gen was writing this. Perhaps the guy wants to get rid of the image that he's all about tragedies, dark and serious business. Although I wouldn't say it's lighthearted, it sure as hell has a more light hearted atmosphere than any of the other series I've seen by him.

I'm sure the drama and conflict will come later, but I love it when series develop it first and not rush headfirst into the deep end (which was something I also disliked about Attack on Titan).

On a sidenote, looks like Production IG (and by extention Wits Studio) is on fire this season.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 03:37   Link #333
neshru

So, why exactly was the kid pointing his gun at the big guy instead of the hostage he just took? Kind of defeats the point of taking an hostage, doesn't it?
neshru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 03:42   Link #334
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neshru View Post
So, why exactly was the kid pointing his gun at the big guy instead of the hostage he just took? Kind of defeats the point of taking an hostage, doesn't it?
Chances are his military training didn't include anything like this. The Hideauze don't seem like the kind of aliens who would care about one of their kind being held hostage and would just laser you both, so...

His point of carrying her was to prevent them from shooting at him for fear of hitting her. He was trying to not be too provocative.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 04:05   Link #335
neshru

I wonder if the producers simply thought that it would be too mean to show the main character pointing a gun at a little girl, so they went with a safer scene that doesn't make a whole lot of sense instead.
neshru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 04:09   Link #336
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
Chances are his military training didn't include anything like this. The Hideauze don't seem like the kind of aliens who would care about one of their kind being held hostage and would just laser you both, so...

His point of carrying her was to prevent them from shooting at him for fear of hitting her. He was trying to not be too provocative.
I got same impression from episode. Also it seems 2nd episode were removed from google search
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 04:29   Link #337
Tiberium Wolf

For speculation it seems Ledo civilization were the humans that wandered in space for long and built city in space. Still it is limited coz limited resources and of population numbers that's why only few could go to the city. I guess they are the descendents of the ppl that left earth after some calamity and have long forgotten about it.
Old 2013-04-08, 04:54   Link #338
apsody243

Quick question, has anyone found a subbed version episode 2 yet?

All I seem to find are the raws.
apsody243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-08, 05:29   Link #339
Om Nerabdator
~Maru~

i cant even find the raws on nyaa, so im guessing its crap quality and the subbers cant be bothered until a good one comes out.....im guessing though i havent seen the raw
Old 2013-04-08, 05:36   Link #340
MartianMage

Episode 2 is already out? That's good to hear.

Anyway episode 1 was ok so it seems he time travelled to the past?

And it's prolly "mfer pos" right? :P
Kyubey: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.
Homura: Your words are as empty as your soul! Lolis ill-needs a savior such as you!
Kyubey: What is a loli? A miserable little pile of moe! But enough talk...have at you!
MartianMage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, harem, mecha, post-apocalyptic, sci-fi, urobuchi