AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Visual Novels, Mobage & Anime Spin-Off Games

Notices

Old 2011-03-24, 07:04   Link #1441
Elvin

^Male characters are pretty archetyped as well, and they have fewer archetypes at that
Elvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-24, 14:38   Link #1442
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvin View Post
^Male characters are pretty archetyped as well, and they have fewer archetypes at that
A lot of male seiyuu are known for having really unique and memorable voices, though, moreseo than female seiyuu. 'Talent' for men is less about being able to play every role under the sun and more about being able to play a few specific roles well.

I would also argue that male characters conforming to fewer archetypes does not mean that they are less diverse but that they are harder to fit into neat little boxes.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-24, 16:47   Link #1443
Elvin

^Your first point sounds a bit like type-casting to me, but I may be misreading it.
Second point is duly noted; I can't think of a character that I can't classify, though I guess it's unfair that them both being the "protagonist-type" (driven by the story, get stronger over time) put Shiki from Tsukihime in the same archetype as Mashiro from Bakuman inside my head.
Old 2011-03-24, 17:03   Link #1444
winkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
This, yes. Unless you're a particularly famous voice actor, the roles you used to play will quickly be filled in by younger people before long.
But that's the point, the seiyuu we're talking about in the case of Ever 17 are one of the more famous seiyuu. They definitely would not have problems finding major roles, which is why I feel they're slowing down due to choice (settling down, age) rather than because they're being pushed out by the new age of seiyuu.
winkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-24, 17:36   Link #1445
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkel View Post
But that's the point, the seiyuu we're talking about in the case of Ever 17 are one of the more famous seiyuu.
Kasahara and Mochizuki? No, they don't have near the number of roles that many voice actresses do especially considering the number of years they've been active, and altogether have very few lead roles, unlike the rest of Ever17's cast.
Old 2011-03-24, 17:37   Link #1446
Elvin

Quote:
But that's the point, the seiyuu we're talking about in the case of Ever 17 are one of the more famous seiyuu. They definitely would not have problems finding major roles, which is why I feel they're slowing down due to choice (settling down, age) rather than because they're being pushed out by the new age of seiyuu.
Did you not read my post about them being too poor to turn down major work or was that not enough to convince you?
Old 2011-03-24, 18:27   Link #1447
winkel

But that is your assumption, no? We don't know their financial status, and what if they're doing other work besides voice acting now? (Like how Kikuko Inoue manages her own talent firm aside from her tiny bits of voice acting here and there nowadays.) Sure, for an up and coming or seiyuu in their peak, it's advantageous for them to accept all and any roles necessary, but for ones that have already made their mark, I'm pretty sure they are perfectly capable of toning down and moving on. Look at Megumi Hayashibara, for example.

Quote:
Kasahara and Mochizuki? No, they don't have near the number of roles that many voice actresses do especially considering the number of years they've been active, and altogether have very few lead roles, unlike the rest of Ever17's cast.
No, we were talking about Asakawa and Ueda. Kasahara and Mochizuki if they don't return it's because they have been MIA for two years now not because they've been stuck with minor roles.
Old 2011-03-24, 19:55   Link #1448
Elvin

Quote:
Sure, for an up and coming or seiyuu in their peak, it's advantageous for them to accept all and any roles necessary, but for ones that have already made their mark, I'm pretty sure they are perfectly capable of toning down and moving on.
That's your assumption, no? Seiyuu don't pick and choose their roles like big name hollywood actors. The vets win (and lose) auditions just like the newbies. There just aren't enough roles to go around.

From Yuu Asakawa's english tweets around a year ago:

How difficult to earning. We need ability,experience,talent and luck. I don't see how many things are needed for me.

Sorry, I get this once in a while be like a crybaby.

Thank you for your warm masseges! I know I'm inexperienced for acting but to act,there're lots of things to study. That makes me confuse sometimes.

But however it's difficult, I can hang tough to make you guys happy by my acting I love you too guys!

Does that sound like someone who's toned down and moved on? I won't say anymore because we're terrifically off topic, but the VA industry isn't as lucrative as you think. Saying they have it easy enough to "tone down" is kind of crapping on how hard they try to get the work they do.

Last edited by Elvin; 2011-03-24 at 21:08.
Old 2011-03-24, 21:16   Link #1449
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
No, we were talking about Asakawa and Ueda.
Both have major roles coming this year, I should mention.

But we're long off topic.
Old 2011-03-24, 21:54   Link #1450
winkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvin View Post
The vets win (and lose) auditions just like the newbies. There just aren't enough roles to go around.
I highly doubt that. And not to mention I don't mean some middling seiyuu who's been around the industry for years so are considered "veterans", but popular ones, like the two we're mentioning.

Quote:
From Yuu Asakawa's english tweets around a year ago
I honestly wish I could understand what she was trying to convey. I sense the distress, but I am unable to discern the cause of it. Did she perchance say the same thing in Japanese? It might clarify things.

Quote:
Saying they have it easy enough to "tone down" is kind of crapping on how hard they try to get the work they do.
I know very well about how bad the sieyuu industry is. I read the same horror stories you guys probably have. The point is, we have two prolific, high-level seiyuu, and my opinion is that should they seriously be targeting bigger roles, just putting on their serious-mode would easily take them very far. We've seen it in the past. That is to say, if they were actually working hard to secure roles, people like them would definitely get them.

It's like saying Kugumine Rie wouldn't get a loli tsundere role if she pushed her hardest for one. It's just not likely.

Quote:
Both have major roles coming this year, I should mention.
If both are the same titles I am thinking of, then I should mention both are sorta "grandfathered" in roles, where they have been associated with previous works/projects of that series, so not having them reprise their roles is more blasphemous to fans than having them.
Old 2011-03-24, 22:28   Link #1451
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

Why don't we just drop it for now? We're just repeating the same conversation over and over again. The point is, it's far too early to assume the seiyus aren't reprising their roles just because the main artist isn't the supervisor. That doesn't mean it's the end of the world or that this remake is doomed to failure. Just give it time before jumping to conclusions.
GundamAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-24, 23:01   Link #1452
Elvin

^Just let me clarify the tweets since it disproves winkel's theory (at least for Yuu).

How difficult to earning. We need ability,experience,talent and luck. ->It's difficult to make an earning. We need ability, experience, talent, and luck.
I don't see how many things are needed for me-> not sure about this part

Sorry, I get this once in a while be like a crybaby. ->Sorry, I get like this once in a while and act like a crybaby.

Thank you for your warm masseges! I know I'm inexperienced for acting but to act,there're lots of things to study. That makes me confuse sometimes. ->This is self-explanatory

But however it's difficult, I can hang tough to make you guys happy by my acting ->But however difficult it is, I can hang tough to make you guys happy with my acting.

You should also know that she still goes to voice acting classes to improve her skills because she thinks she still needs them. Not the conduct of someone trying to slow down.

Last edited by Elvin; 2011-03-24 at 23:45.
Old 2011-04-01, 08:32   Link #1453
winkel

A bunch of new screenshots. Character reveal say the same names as the old CV, but we can't be sure that's accurate or just the editors being lazy and C&P the info from the original game.

More surprised they actually are using the old CGs for the game, I thought I heard somewhere that the old ones were unusable because the assets were never done in high resolution.

Don't you just love the models?

Old 2011-04-01, 10:54   Link #1454
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

Well, the character models look a little weird- they look like character models from an RPG. But I'm sure in time, I'll get used to them.

The new CGs sure seem interesting. Has Sara's locket been removed or something? It's not in either of the CGs where she had them originally. Hmm... well, I guess we'll see. Is Coco telling the Mermaid story in a different place than the gift shop? The background sure different.

I'm sure that they're using the same voice actors. I think they'd piss a lot of people off if they revealed that all of that information is fake. It may be April Fools Day, but I don't think they'd go that far.

The information reveals that like the original versions, Takeshi and the Kid will not be voiced during their own routes. It also reveals that the game will come with a soundtrack.

It also seems that there will be two ending songs, though the singer of the second ending is obscured. I'm assuming this will be like the PSP version of Never7, where at the end of every route there, the new ED played, while in the True Ending, the original ending song (Treasure Dream) played. And the second ending is for the True Ending, so I wonder who it'll be.

On a side note, today is April 1st, 2011. Never7 begins in 8 years!

Last edited by GundamAce; 2011-04-01 at 11:09.
Old 2011-04-01, 11:15   Link #1455
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

Oh, on one more note, the game's release date is in July.
Old 2011-04-01, 11:44   Link #1456
Polarem
Dango Digitizer

...wait, what? THIS July? So soon?! I thought they just started work a few months ago!
Polarem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-01, 11:59   Link #1457
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarem View Post
...wait, what? THIS July? So soon?! I thought they just started work a few months ago!
Well, they had already said they were planning a Summer 2011 release, right? They must have been working on this for a while.
Old 2011-04-01, 12:16   Link #1458
Polarem
Dango Digitizer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamAce View Post
Well, they had already said they were planning a Summer 2011 release, right? They must have been working on this for a while.
Oops, I must have missed that bit. I don't suppose any stores are taking pre-orders yet?
Polarem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-01, 12:18   Link #1459
GundamAce
Traveler of Infinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polarem View Post
Oops, I must have missed that bit. I don't suppose any stores are taking pre-orders yet?
No, though I'll keep an eye out on Amazon JP (which is finally back up). I'll be pre-ordering the Limited Edition, that's for sure.

There are pre-orders up for the new ED CD, however.
Old 2011-04-01, 12:19   Link #1460
waffo
25% Unknown

Send a message via AIM to waffo Send a message via Yahoo to waffo
My friends overheard the music on the new Ever17 site and said Karma sounds peaceful and relaxing. Obviously, they never played the game. >_>
waffo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
visual novel