AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Fan Creations

Notices

Old 2008-08-10, 21:30   Link #1
amjzz

Question Ehh...photoshop help?. (Light/shiny/glow effects).

Um...i dont use photoshop alot so i dont know alot about it...just the basic.

How can i make glow effects with it? ehh....im not talking about give a glow effect to a photo took with a camera...im talking about make a graphic and give it a glow and color it with a glow-ish tone of color...

Same with an image (again, not a photo took with a camera)...how can i give it a glow effect?.

Oh by the way...i have see many many tutorials on the web, but most of them are not really useful, they teach how to make a glow effect....but not how to add a glow effect to an image made in photoshop or add a glow effect to an image, the tutorial just teach how to make a glow effect...that cant be use in any kind of image.

Im looking how to add glow effect to ANY image (not a photo took with a camera)

Most of tutorials just tell how to give illumination angles or use the glow filter...which dont help...

Also, how can i eh...color an image with a shiny tones instead of solid ones?.

Its a quite long topic for just 2 questions but in summary....how can i add a glow effect to an image (not made in photoshop) and to a graphic made in photoshop and how can i color an image with a shiny tone instead of photoshop solid tones?.

Last edited by amjzz; 2008-08-10 at 21:49.
amjzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-10, 21:33   Link #2
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support

Send a message via Yahoo to Furuno
Double click on the layer you want to give a glow and it to bring up the Layer Style dialogue box. In that dialogue box you should find the Outer Glow and Inner Glow effects. I hope this is what you looking for...

Note... Maybe this thread is supposed to be in Sig/Avatars tutorial thread...

Check my Blog / Thread / Twitter for some random stuffs...
Furuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-10, 21:37   Link #3
amjzz

Oh, thanks...that solve the add glow to an image.....now i need to discover how to "color" an image with shiny tones instead of photoshop default solid tones...

For example...photoshop default green tones are solid tones....how can i get/find shiny tones?.

Also....is allowed to ask questions in the tutorials thread?.

EDIT:

And how can give a glow effect to a graphic made with photoshop? for example a trace made using the pen tool? i try to give it a glow effect, however it doesnt affect the image, it affect the border of the image, not the trace...
Old 2008-08-10, 21:38   Link #4
Evil Rick
Black Dragon
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjzz View Post
Um...i dont use photoshop alot so i dont know alot about it...just the basic.

How can i make glow effects with it? ehh....im not talking about give a glow effect to a photo took with a camera...im talking about make a graphic and give it a glow and color it with a glow-ish tone of color...

Same with an image (again, not a photo took with a camera)...how can i give it a glow effect?.

Oh by the way...i have see many many tutorials on the web, but most of them are not really useful, they teach how to make a glow effect....but not how to add a glow effect to an image made in photoshop or add a glow effect to an image, the tutorial just teach how to make a glow effect...that cant be use in any kind of image.

Im looking how to add glow effect to ANY image (not a photo took with a camera)

Most of tutorials just tell how to give illumination angles or use the glow filter...which dont help...

Also, how can i eh...color an image with a shiny tones instead of solid ones?.

Its a quite long topic for just 2 questions but in summary....how can i add a glow effect to an image (not made in photoshop) and to a graphic made in photoshop and how can i color an image with a shiny tone instead of photoshop solid tones?.
You mean like this?

EDIT: Yeah, you can ask that kind of questions in the tutorial thread
Old 2008-08-10, 21:48   Link #5
amjzz

I want to add an effect like this to an image (not exaclty like it....just similar):

However most of tutorials teach how to make this but not how to add an effect like this to an image.

By the way i edited my first reply (not topic, reply).
Old 2008-08-10, 21:53   Link #6
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support

Hmm... that's rather hard. My tought is by using a large size outer glow and multiply that layer several time and changing the blending mode to something else (probably screen/overlay/linear dodge/color dodge/whatever). Maybe Filter > Render > Lightning Effect, or maybe by just changing the exposure (Image > Adjustments > Exposure) or adjusting the level (Image > Adjustments > Level) or curves (Image > Adjustments > Curves)... Or maybe by merging the overexposure, normal, and underexposure image into a HDR file... nevermind...

Well, I guess there's many ways to do this...

EDIT : Tracing glow
After you create the path with the pen tool. First grab your brush tool and adjust the size/hardness/color to suit you line and then back to the pen tool. Right click > Stroke Path... > choose brush and OK. Then add the effect to the layer where you stroke it.

Old 2008-08-10, 22:06   Link #7
amjzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furuno View Post
EDIT : Tracing glow
After you create the path with the pen tool. First grab your brush tool and adjust the size/hardness/color to suit you line and then back to the pen tool. Right click > Stroke Path... > choose brush and OK. Then add the effect to the layer where you stroke it.
Yeah i did that but at the moment of choose the layer styles (inner/outer glow) it doesnt seem add glow to the trace...
Old 2008-08-10, 22:09   Link #8
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support

Did you stroke it properly on another layer beside of your "original" image layer? Is that another layer is the one with the layer style? Also, you need to hide your "original" image first for clearer view (that is, only leave that another layer visible)...

Well, I'm not a "tracer" and it's kinda hard to imagine your situation without screenshots... so sorry for bad reply...

Old 2008-08-10, 22:15   Link #9
amjzz

Quote:
Did you stroke it properly on another layer beside of your "original" image layer? Is that another layer is the one with the layer style? Also, you need to hide your "original" image first for clearer view (that is, only leave that another layer visible)...

Well, I'm not a "tracer" and it's kinda hard to imagine your situation without screenshots... so sorry for bad reply...
Oh no, it helped me alot.

I duplicated the layer before begin, made the trace and then on the duplicated layer (not the original one....that for some reason is locked) made the layer styles...but nothing happens.

Thanks for the answers.
Old 2008-08-10, 22:17   Link #10
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support

That's it, you need to stroke the path at another layer beside of those two. Create a new layer called stroke or something and stroke the path on that layer.

Old 2008-08-10, 22:27   Link #11
BearShare
I'm a commin'
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Oh, thanks...that solve the add glow to an image.....now i need to discover how to "color" an image with shiny tones instead of photoshop default solid tones...

For example...photoshop default green tones are solid tones....how can i get/find shiny tones?.

Also....is allowed to ask questions in the tutorials thread?.

EDIT:

And how can give a glow effect to a graphic made with photoshop? for example a trace made using the pen tool? i try to give it a glow effect, however it doesnt affect the image, it affect the border of the image, not the trace...
Are you using layers properly?
If you used the pentool to trace the picture, did you stroke it?
BearShare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-10, 22:39   Link #12
amjzz

Quote:
That's it, you need to stroke the path at another layer beside of those two. Create a new layer called stroke or something and stroke the path on that layer.
Yes, i did it...but when applies outer glow nothing happened....and when added inner glow this happened:

Spoiler for Image:

The grey thing is the inner glow, which makes me think that the outter glow is outside the image instead of be part of the pen trace....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearShare View Post
Are you using layers properly?
If you used the pentool to trace the picture, did you stroke it?
Yes, i stroked it.
Old 2008-08-10, 22:51   Link #13
Furuno
Fuwaaa~~~
*IT Support

When I mean new layer as in my previous post. I mean that it is a completely blank layer without anything on it (event bg color). This layer is created by Layer > New Layer... Or just pressing the new layer icon in the bottom of your layer pane. And stroke it on that new blank layer...

Your problem is because your layer already have a content it it (that is a withe bg color). So the outer glow will be beyond that layer scope (out of the drawing canvas), that's why the inner glow visible while the outer glow not. Glow effect is only applied to the layer border.

Example :
Before outer glow applied to the render layer :

After outer glow applied to the render layer :

You can see that on the first image, my render layer is only contain the character (the "render") without any background color or anything...

Old 2008-08-10, 23:15   Link #14
amjzz

Oh, now it worked!. Thanks for the help.

Now that i know how to make the glow need to dikscover how to get a shiny color tone instead of solid ones that are default colors of the photoshop...

Last edited by amjzz; 2008-08-10 at 23:30.
Old 2008-08-10, 23:38   Link #15
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
I am not really sure what you mean by 'shiny tones', but most of the fancy color effects you see on images around here are made with a combination of simple and basic colors.

-> -> ->

From there on, you can play with the color values (or add effects) to make them more vivid. All this of course, after you have built something to work with first.

In the end, it's all about how much you want to add to your image.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amjzz
instead of solid ones that are default colors of the photoshop...
There's no such thing as "default colors" in photoshop.

Last edited by Daniel E.; 2008-08-11 at 01:32.
Daniel E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-08-11, 10:14   Link #16
Scep
commands you to...!
*Artist

Quote:
Oh, now it worked!. Thanks for the help.

Now that i know how to make the glow need to dikscover how to get a shiny color tone instead of solid ones that are default colors of the photoshop...

If you mean things like above, thats the gradient tool. Hold on the paint bucket tool and a pop up menu will appear, choose gradient from there. Or just press shift-g. Click, drag and release to create one.
Scep is offline   Reply With Quote