AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2017-01-21, 19:26   Link #21
RedKey
天界の異端審問官

I was surprised by the fact this first episode (technically 2 episodes) was actually good. I was nearly expecting KonoSuba S2-level animation, but thankfully that wasn't the case, animation was consistent and most of the time not lazy - then again, I tend to forget CyGames swims in our money.
Can't wait for Sturm and Drang to make their appearance
RedKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-21, 22:53   Link #22
Requiem-x
The slacking one

Now, this is a pleasant surprise. Having read some of the manga, I was prepared for dissapointment, but that was a strong beginning to an adventure, with things getting exciting pretty much from the get go, and everyone relevant getting a chance to show some character. Also, I'm gonna join everyone who says both OP and ED are great.

Definetly looking forward to this now.
Requiem-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-21, 23:04   Link #23
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

It seems they used some novel material here.
Good to know the staff had enough intelligence to do that.
shmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-22, 03:58   Link #24
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Have to say the only downside to this start is that it's going to make the wait until Spring harder . That was a good start. An enjoyable beginning to an adventure.

Just really enjoyable. Visual style made it feel like I was watching some kind of classic fantasy series. Like the main cast so far as well. Kind of nice that Gran has some skills, but obviously room to grow. Isn't just randomly picking up a weapon, but did spend a long time doing what he could to prepare for the eventual journey he wanted to take.

Katalina is a good badass. Kind of makes sense though that she struggled to actually fly the darn thing. Just because you are a great fighter and had rank in a military doesn't mean you are a pilot . Still did a great job in the action portions of the episodes.

Lyria is a nice character as well. Needs help, but also is their trump card. A pretty unfortunate backstory being basically in captivity for as long as she can remember. But stepped up and risked a lot to help Gran.

Good start.
Old 2017-01-22, 04:47   Link #25
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Why is it that lately every time an anime series has this creature/mascot thing it's voiced by none other than Rie .. Ugh. Used to think she's okay but lately it's been just outright annoying. eidLIVE was pretty crappy series to begin with but with how ridiculously annoying that creature was - that was the reason I dropped it. Feel like the same for this one.
Old 2017-01-22, 10:24   Link #26
Sacredus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Have to say the only downside to this start is that it's going to make the wait until Spring harder . That was a good start. An enjoyable beginning to an adventure.

Just really enjoyable. Visual style made it feel like I was watching some kind of classic fantasy series. Like the main cast so far as well. Kind of nice that Gran has some skills, but obviously room to grow. Isn't just randomly picking up a weapon, but did spend a long time doing what he could to prepare for the eventual journey he wanted to take.

Katalina is a good badass. Kind of makes sense though that she struggled to actually fly the darn thing. Just because you are a great fighter and had rank in a military doesn't mean you are a pilot . Still did a great job in the action portions of the episodes.

Lyria is a nice character as well. Needs help, but also is their trump card. A pretty unfortunate backstory being basically in captivity for as long as she can remember. But stepped up and risked a lot to help Gran.

Good start.
I fully agree with this. As for flying part, I really thought that they will crash and will need to find some boat
Sacredus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-22, 15:30   Link #27
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Count me in among those who were pleasantly surprised by this one. My only exposure to the franchise as a whole before these episodes was some chapters of the manga adaptation, which weren't bad - I felt these were a bit more enjoyable though.

Then again, I tend to enjoy the ole fantasy sword and sorcery type stories, so maybe I am biased in this case.
Old 2017-01-22, 16:56   Link #28
Applehell

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB079 View Post
My only complaint is the animation and the fights, they look so below average.

While I wouldn't go quite that far myself, but yeah it wasn't quite as good as I was expecting. Out of the two high fantasy mobage based adaptation Chian Chronicle definitely wins in this area.

However beyond that, while GBF was more paint by the numbers storywise than CC it's execution and individual story beats and characters sold itself to me better. Gran is certainly the standard fantasy hero, but his interactions with the other characters avoid him coming off as too bland. The other secondary characters are pretty ok to decent as far as first impressions go, though the mascot is pretty meh at the moment. Setting-wise it's pretty nice, reminds a lot of Skies of Arcadia, Bahamut Lagoon and Baten Katios which shared the similar theme of worlds being made up of floating landmasses with airships being the only real means of travel between them. Artstyle and direction is very vibrant too, everything from background to the characters has a "soft" pastel look to it which makes all really pleasing to look at. OP and ED are good as expected considering the artists behind them.

I don't have high expectations of plot as of right now, but the first 2 episodes did good enough in setting things up without being too fast or slow. Do wish that Pommern guy had go down with the Hydra tho, so I wouldn’t have hear his irritating voice again.
Applehell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-22, 18:45   Link #29
Phantomlurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
. Do wish that Pommern guy had go down with the Hydra tho, so I wouldn’t have hear his irritating voice again.
But his desu ne is great!

Anyway, I wonder how much of the main story the anime will cover. It sure would be nice if they got enough cours to get to chapter 63.
Phantomlurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-23, 01:54   Link #30
Darthtabby

Does anyone else think Lyria looks like an Idolmaster character? I'm not even sure what the name of the character she reminds me is, but I'm pretty sure its an Idolmaster character.

The portrayal of action in this series seems pretty clumsy compared to Chain Chronicle, but on the plus side its less blatantly a game adaptation. The characters and story are a bit thin so far (I'm especially not keen on Lyria being a blatant McGuffin girl) but Chain Chronicle wasn't exactly a standout in that regard either (though it did have the interesting twist of beginning with the hero failing in what would ordinarily be the climactic final battle).
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-23, 02:44   Link #31
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Even more than Lyria, it's Gran that bored me to tears. I get that Lyria is, indeed, just your classic McGuffin girl. But at least they didn't spend so long explaining it. Or maybe it felt that way because they explained a bit of the world at the same time? Either way, I'd have preferred Gran's backstory to be dealt with in 30 seconds, tops.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-23, 02:58   Link #32
Tenzen12

I actually enjoyed animation and fights quite lot, it was smooth and characters skill were pretty obvious. I actually like it more than CC.

It's still not Shingeki no Bahamut though...
Old 2017-01-23, 03:08   Link #33
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep1:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-23, 09:18   Link #34
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
Does anyone else think Lyria looks like an Idolmaster character? I'm not even sure what the name of the character she reminds me is, but I'm pretty sure its an Idolmaster character.
Idolmaster mobage is owned by the same company that owns GBF.
Add to that she voices characters from the game as well.

Btw, it's Nao Toyama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehell View Post
Do wish that Pommern guy had go down with the Hydra tho, so I wouldn’t have hear his irritating voice again.
Hey, Pommern is a fun villain even in defeat.
He actually gets stronger to fight the hero party, though it's funny because just when he is powerful enough to beat them down, a third party appears to curbstomp him
Kuroageha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-23, 09:46   Link #35
RedKey
天界の異端審問官

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
Does anyone else think Lyria looks like an Idolmaster character?
More than you think.

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
RedKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-23, 10:38   Link #36
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
Even more than Lyria, it's Gran that bored me to tears. I get that Lyria is, indeed, just your classic McGuffin girl. But at least they didn't spend so long explaining it. Or maybe it felt that way because they explained a bit of the world at the same time? Either way, I'd have preferred Gran's backstory to be dealt with in 30 seconds, tops.
He is a silent main who does not think and only act because he is told to. What character you can expect out of that?
He is only there because the game needs a MC. He barely us a character.
shmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-23, 12:37   Link #37
Boukenxha

I got interested after watching the PV awhile back, so far so good. The first 2 episodes basically just the setup, feels like there will be decent amount of depth and it's going at a steady pace which I hope will stay constant for the series.

I also really like the visual designs which is imo reminiscent of fantasy classics like Lodoss War, the character are clean looking, nothing too flashy and nothing too awkward, though Lyria could probably use some footwear, pity the poor girl had been running all the way barefooted on some pretty harsh terrains.
Boukenxha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-23, 17:27   Link #38
Darthtabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroageha View Post
Idolmaster mobage is owned by the same company that owns GBF.
Add to that she voices characters from the game as well.

Btw, it's Nao Toyama.
I don't mean the the voice, I mean the character design. Isn't there some idolmaster character that looks pretty much the same except for darker hair?
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-24, 13:39   Link #39
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

Saw the first two episodes, and it's nothing too drastic for now, though the animation is nice at least.

Also, Haruna Lyria is DAIJOBU

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-28, 19:56   Link #40
RDNexus

As soon as I finished watching the 2 episodes, I ended up liking this story better than Chain Chronicle. Spring will have a nice one to be watched.
And thank goodness the art-style was changed from the one seen in that first trailer posted here, I prefer this one better.
Regarding Avatar MCs portrayed in Anime Adaptations, right now I don't remember a story in which I've disliked the MC. They may seem generic, alright, but they still end up fulfilling their roles. Also, Gran having all that backstory related to his father and such added a nice bit of attitude to him.
RDNexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fantasy setting, video game adaptation