AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-03-11, 10:06   Link #201
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Send a message via ICQ to MrProphet
I can't say anything about the names right now, but I must say that I just love to listen to Atsuko Tanaka's deep sexy voice (she plays Derrida).

She is one of my favourite seiyuu's, that's for sure. 8)
MrProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-11, 12:49   Link #202
monir
cho~ kakkoii

She screams RESPECT everytime she is involved in a show given the roles is of a badass female. What is GitS without her? Yeap, she has been my favorite Seiyuu before I even knew what Seiyuu meant. She is pretty hot too for a 40+ year old.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-11, 14:41   Link #203
7Th
Mixtape

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion
It wasn't just Lil that was different. The crowd in the mall also had a decrease in animation quality.
Not a decrease, but a different animation focus, more stylish and focused on movement dynamics but less realistic. This noticieable disparities were also present in Samurai Champloo, but for me they're more a plus than a problem.
7Th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-11, 15:42   Link #204
mentis

Song in first eps

What was the song in the first eps playing on the radio and who is the composer?
Also is the italian poem from the first eps famous as I it seemed the character River from Firefly mixed some of it in to her ramblings.
Thanks
mentis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-11, 16:06   Link #205
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentis
What was the song in the first eps playing on the radio and who is the composer?
Also is the italian poem from the first eps famous as I it seemed the character River from Firefly mixed some of it in to her ramblings.
Thanks
It's stanza of a poem by Michealangelo.

Basically, an unknown poet wrote a poem celebrating one of Michaelangelo's creation, the statue of "The Night", praising it for its life-like features, saying that it was almost as if the statue is ready to come alive.

Michaelangelo wrote a reply, saying that in such terrible times it is in fact better to be a lifeless statue, not to have any feelings and emotions. That poem is the epigraph of the series, shown in the beginning of the first episode.

Quite telling, if you conside the whole Proxy/autoreiv subplot.
Old 2006-03-11, 19:25   Link #206
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

His name is spelled as Michelangelo. His full name is Michelangelo di Lodovico Buonarroti Simoni. He is also known as Michelangelo Buonarroti. Just clarifying what MrProphet said as his spelling was inconsistent ... unless he's talking about a different Michelangelo.

He is known for his Sistine Chapel ceiling design, and also for a few sculptures, like David and Pieta. He is among the most prominent artists in the Renaissance.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-11, 21:03   Link #207
Tamatebako

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentis
What was the song in the first eps playing on the radio and who is the composer?[...]
Thanks
It was a part from Bedřich Smetana "The Moldau" (Original "Vltava") and this is a part from "Ma Vlast" ("My Country").
The part from "The Moldau" describes the following scenario: In the night, the moon is reflecting in the water. Nymphs appears.

(Sorry for my bad english, but I'm from Germany).

Here at "Moonlight Nymphs" you can hear the beginning.

http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Palace/5825/moldau.htm (Real-audio player required).

Last edited by Tamatebako; 2006-03-11 at 21:46.
Tamatebako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-12, 13:30   Link #208
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
Romdeau? Lawl... Real? rofl...
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-12, 16:04   Link #209
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

For some reason, several websites, including Wikipedia and ANN list Atsuko Tanaka as voicing Lacan in this series.

This is not correct. Atsuko Tanaka is acting as Derrida's seiyuu.

http://www.wowow.co.jp/anime/ergopro...ast/index.html
Old 2006-03-12, 22:46   Link #210
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Episode 3...Wow!!!

Gorgeous opening animation and a romantic OP! (from what I could make of it.)

@MrProphet: But wouldn't a biomechanoid be picked up on physical exam? Certainly Vincent would have gone thru some, especially after being arrested. What about a genetically altered human? You would have thought that someone would have noticed. He has an amazing eye color. Wow!

Pino is so cute in those pjs!

I hope that we learn more about this "new" Vincent.

Spoiler:
Old 2006-03-12, 23:31   Link #211
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

It makes no sense.

1) Raul makes absolutely no remark at his supposed wife and child being murdered before his eyes. None whatsoever.

2) Pino makes no remark about him when he arrests Vincent in episode 3, even though she is always harping about the "father".

3) He has enough on his hands to be stressed about (Proxy, Ril, dealing with the Sages), so there is no surprise he is tired and depressed (hence the "piano scene").
Old 2006-03-13, 04:13   Link #212
wao
OK.

Yes!! Episode 3 was great.(Although I agree that it was annoying that the episode was rather dark and I had to strain my eyes to see what was going on.) I was unsure about this series in the first 2 episodes - sure it had the nice gloomy atmosphere and the posthuman setting which are fine by me for now, but it just felt a little too cliche - more than that, it felt like it was missing some "X-factor" that would make me want to watch more of it. And it has come in the form of Vincent Pino - I'm extremely interested in his character now.

Spoiler for dumping everything in here:

Well, reading whateveryone has said, I guess it's a case of distinction between "what is a conscious being and what isn't" - if you refer to Descartes' Cogito ergo sum, then simply by the act of thinking about your existence, you have proved it, since existence is a precondition to cognition. You assumedly can't think if you don't even exist in the first place.
So in a world where androids are so similar to human beings in many ways, you have two things to compare that blur the line between machines and humans:
-Humans that are so brainwashed they're like androids
-Androids that have "awakened" - gained something that seems like cogito so that they act like humans. Opening your eyes...

All of this, of course, has been explored in countless science-fiction stories, but I didn't come in expecting some wham-bam original concept...
The proxy thing might be superficially referring to how many Autoreivs are acting as proxies for their human counterparts. See how Iggy is controlling Ril's life. But on a deeper level, the connection between the concept "Proxy" and the actual phenomenon of non-conscious beings gaining consciousness, is still not entirely clear at this point of time (to my fuddled brain, anyway). Except for the bit where the cigar-smoking monster is always around the praying Autoreivs: perhaps they're acting as a proxy because he himself is unable to do something.

Last edited by wao; 2006-03-13 at 09:23.
wao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-13, 07:58   Link #213
WabukiSensei
Chillin out

Something that's been bothering me....

Spoiler for question about ending of ep2 and start of ep3:
WabukiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-13, 09:09   Link #214
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by WabukiSensei
Something that's been bothering me....
Spoiler for question about ending of ep2 and start of ep3:
Spoiler:

And it's weird that they've changed the seiyuus around...

Spoiler:
Old 2006-03-13, 09:25   Link #215
wao
OK.

I wouldn't put it past Dai Sato to do that, personally speaking, but I ain't going to discuss Dai Sato for now...

Now that you mention spiky red hair it really reminds me of that thing from the beginning of ep 1 that was holding Vincent's pendant.
Old 2006-03-13, 09:26   Link #216
DaFool
Resident devil

So why is the doctor Daedalus such a young boy...and he seems to have the hots for Lir.

It's amazing some of the discussions going on here...I thought I was well-read and knew my literature...but damn!
DaFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-13, 09:32   Link #217
WabukiSensei
Chillin out

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrProphet
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
WabukiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-13, 09:35   Link #218
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

And another question....

Spoiler:

Maybe there's more than 1 person roaming around with this pendant. It was associated with "Moscow", whatever that is.
Old 2006-03-13, 09:45   Link #219
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
Now that you mention spiky red hair it really reminds me of that thing from the beginning of ep 1 that was holding Vincent's pendant.
Perhaps the Spiky Hair is Vincent's "Inner Proxy"? 8)

Vincent is obviously schizophrenic, since he can't rememeber what the hell he is doing at times. Perhaps the monster is his other conscieseness?

As for the men that hunted Pino, i assume it's just a spandart operation procedure. After all, autoreivs are androids, maybe they can kill a person if they go berserk. Even cute and cuddly ones like Pino...

PS: I think "Moscow" (or "Mosc.", I don't remember) was in Vincent's file, indicating a place where he imigrated into Romdeau from.
Old 2006-03-13, 09:53   Link #220
MrProphet
The Commissar Vanishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by wao
I wouldn't put it past Dai Sato to do that, personally speaking, but I ain't going to discuss Dai Sato for now...
I remember a time when mainstream culture was plagiarising ideas (stylistic, plot, etc.) from anime left and right. Now it seems like the wellspring of originality has dried up.

Of course, I hope it's not true, but I fear that it is...

Tags
manglobe, science fiction