AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-01-15, 21:55   Link #441
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmaca View Post
WTF!?! An All-Girl's School owns a pirate ship?!?!...
Of course it does.

This is anime, after all.
Old 2012-01-15, 22:02   Link #442
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
And to think, when I first clicked on this thread today: one of my thoughts asked, "I wonder what color is Chiaki's underwear?" Well, that's answered.
White as newfallen snow. Truly this must mean she is innocent and pure of heart.

Quote:
And the whole damn ship scene was wasted panty shot potential, completely wasted.
Good! We don't need a massive tide of panty shots. If that's what you want there are plenty of shows that will cater to you. No, this show has them so rare that the only way to find the very few they sneak in is to watch in slow-motion. And all the better, that way! Let other shows stand based on their fanservice: this one doesn't need it. The art and animation are good enough on their own without adding any girls' unmentionables, and the writing and character work are both pretty good so far.

You also aren't the first to object to the pacing, but I say there's no need to rush. They've got 26 episodes to play with, and they're taking the time to set things up properly.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 22:03   Link #443
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie_Nix View Post
Its the future, I'm assuming that their skirts are engineered not to "go all over the place" in zero g. Anyway I really liked how they didn't resort to massive panty shots.
Magic skirts in the future... The future for panty shots looks bleak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie_Nix View Post
I would love to know how they came into possession of that ship. Theory: either the ship's original captain or one of their descendents founded the school. Heh, I would love it if the school was actually founded to train girls to become crews of privateers!
Well they do have a yatch club(?), and an actual pirate ship. I wonder if the original ordinances that comes with the ship still intact?
djmaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 22:08   Link #444
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
WTF!?! An All-Girl's School owns a pirate ship?!?! I would love to turn that school into an actual pirate base.
They own a hundred year old ship that was used by pirates at one point. There's no reason to assume the Bentenmaru is typical and the other privateers of that era are still in business. Some of the captains must've died without an heir or decided to switch to less dangerous lines of work, or just retire peacefully, leaving their ship to be sold off on the second-hand market.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 22:09   Link #445
Kyuu
=^^=

I - Kyuu - will watch each episode at least twice.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 22:17   Link #446
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
Good! We don't need a massive tide of panty shots. If that's what you want there are plenty of shows that will cater to you. No, this show has them so rare that the only way to find the very few they sneak in is to watch in slow-motion. And all the better, that way! Let other shows stand based on their fanservice: this one doesn't need it. The art and animation are good enough on their own without adding any girls' unmentionables, and the writing and character work are both pretty good so far.
This! While fanservice is nice once in a while, it's not what makes the show.
Old 2012-01-15, 22:36   Link #447
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post

You also aren't the first to object to the pacing, but I say there's no need to rush. They've got 26 episodes to play with, and they're taking the time to set things up properly.
All of this quoted for truth. Couldn't have put any it better myself.
Old 2012-01-15, 22:45   Link #448
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
WTF!?! An All-Girl's School owns a pirate ship?!?! I would love to turn that school into an actual pirate base.
This is anime, and this is the future. Anything can happen if you just believe~
Old 2012-01-15, 23:38   Link #449
leokiko

I dropped this for now. I usually drop series that moves this slowly, so that I can watch it when it's finished. I appreciate the fact they are going this route though(with all the build-up), makes this anime special, since most first chapters these days have been...er...''explosive'' .
leokiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 01:13   Link #450
AbZeroNow
North American Haruhiist

This is so-far my favorite series of Winter 2012. Chiaki, Marika, and Ririka are all great, interesting characters and I really like seeing this story unfold.

Chiaki saving her parfait was just a great moment, and later on when she actually leaves money for it, that was a good little moment.

Loved the scenes between Marika and Ririka, and I concur with others liking how Ririka mentioned how pirates(or in this case privateers) take guns to impress.

Really liked the scenes of Kane moving around in zero-g, and the various girls moving about including one hilariously not used to zero gravity girl. As far as the skirts acting the way they did, either they developed some sort of electromagnetic way for the fabric to cling to the body and/or the girls wear bike shorts under the skirts so looking under them would be pointless.

I don't mind the slow pace because I am enjoying seeing Marika become the Captain that she will have to be, and it looks like she is going to be going through her first real trial to grow into her role.

This episode is a 9/10, and I can see this show just building up to some awesome privateering moments.
AbZeroNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 01:15   Link #451
cerrian

Show gets some extra bonus points from me for showing that the girls in the space yacht club are actually competent and to some level quite professional at crewing the ship.
cerrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 01:47   Link #452
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerrian View Post
Show gets some extra bonus points from me for showing that the girls in the space yacht club are actually competent and to some level quite professional at crewing the ship.
Yet, that makes me skeptical of a mere school club having access to a very large ship. Why would any planetary government would allow that?

But yes, on the other hand, agreed. It gives a pretty good plot setup on the girls' capabilities as a crew. Thus, who cares what a government would think.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 02:17   Link #453
Soconfused
Old God Member

Send a message via AIM to Soconfused
After the Last Exile OP, I am hyper sensitive to clothing not moving as it should. I will not simply sit here and watch as skirts act in abnormal fashion as these girls fly and flip around a ship in zero gravity! Either put them in space suits or condemn them to their fate of fan service, it's the only sensible option.
Old 2012-01-16, 02:29   Link #454
cerrian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Yet, that makes me skeptical of a mere school club having access to a very large ship. Why would any planetary government would allow that?

But yes, on the other hand, agreed. It gives a pretty good plot setup on the girls' capabilities as a crew. Thus, who cares what a government would think.
I think you under estimate the potential amount of resources a school club can have, especially if the the club is backed by an affluent school with significant financial backing. It can be ridiculous at what some modern day high school clubs can get their hands on with the right connections and money to back it up. It's not outside the realm of possibilities that in this world where pirate ships are inherited by direct descendents of the captains that the Odette II was "gifted" to the club by an heirless Captain
cerrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-16, 02:56   Link #455
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soconfused View Post
After the Last Exile OP, I am hyper sensitive to clothing not moving as it should. I will not simply sit here and watch as skirts act in abnormal fashion as these girls fly and flip around a ship in zero gravity! Either put them in space suits or condemn them to their fate of fan service, it's the only sensible option.
Dear Soconfused

Assuming that anime is actually a different dimension where humans from this dimension can somehow imagine, we can also reason that physics will not work the same way here as it does there. Therefore it is possible to have no panty shots in space in their dimension. We just don't understand the physics.

Signed: djmaca (quantum physicist and string theorist by hobby...)
Old 2012-01-16, 03:11   Link #456
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Dear Soconfused

Assuming that anime is actually a different dimension where humans from this dimension can somehow imagine, we can also reason that physics will not work the same way here as it does there. Therefore it is possible to have no panty shots in space in their dimension. We just don't understand the physics.

Signed: djmaca (quantum physicist and string theorist by hobby...)
Or just,if in this anime mankind has the technology for intersellar space travel there might also be technology to be able to make mini skirts with which you can go in space.
Old 2012-01-16, 03:14   Link #457
djmaca
My Girl ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Or just,if in this anime mankind has the technology for intersellar space travel there might also be technology to be able to make mini skirts with which you can go in space.
I doubt the best minds in space exploration would waste their time thinking about miniskirts.
Old 2012-01-16, 03:41   Link #458
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
I doubt the best minds in space exploration would waste their time thinking about miniskirts.
Unless among the best minds in space exploration there's a woman that likes to wear miniskirts,then the issue becomes personal!

That's all I've got
Old 2012-01-16, 03:51   Link #459
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
I must admit that I did not expect a tangent discussing and debating miniskirt motion in outer space in an anime series initially inspired by an indignation at being denied "realistic/laws of physics based fanservice"....
Old 2012-01-16, 06:07   Link #460
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber Cherry View Post
Marika: "I don't know anything about electronic warfare, but I'm going to hack into this other ship to prove how decisive I am!"

Oh, really?

I liked episode 1 better, but at least so far, the chara designs have me hooked.
Yarly, gotta wonder if she got any hacking lessons at school

It's a fun show, I expected it to be a lot less serious. Not that there's much going on, but it's a good way to pass time, for now
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light novel adaptation, science fiction, seinen, yuri