AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2006-03-08, 00:11   Link #181
questmark

I also rather liked ep 16. I like how sometimes things just don't work out right-- life's like that sometimes, and stories that reflect that can move me. It was odd though, how the episode really ended up being about the boy, more than anyone else. I didn't expect that at the beginning.

Also,
@DeathWolf-- yeah, DVD encodes would be wonderful. I was thinking about doing that myself, once the Japanese DVDs came out, but all the fansubs have hardsubbed subtitles and aren't, say, ogms with different streams, so I can't think of any way to take the sub file and lay them on a DVD-video rip. But yes, if DVD-fansubs were to be done eventually but one of the fansub groups (like ANBU!), that would be wonderful, of course-- and very much appreciated! But I don't wanna sound greedy (too much....) . What we've got now is great.

Thanks for all the info again on your encoding process. Bummer no one from C-1 or AF-F responded, I'd like to hear about their processes as well-- see what's really different between you three.
questmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-08, 00:37   Link #182
Muir Woods
Disheartened and Retired

Saw episode 19 as well.
Spoiler for Comments on ep 19:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFool
Ginko is now officially my role model for life, also precisely because his lifestyle of always moving places since he was a child, meeting people, getting involved in their lives only to bid them farewell, precisely mirrored mine as a TCK. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_culture_kid)

I'd say Ginko is a romantic character, the type of romantic as in not-idealized but realistic...a solid literary character. Romance, Ginko-style! ^_^
Heh heh, the idea of Ginko being a role model has crossed my mind before. He sure possesses much admiring qualities, but after much thought and comparision, I soundly decided to stick to my old role model, that is, Humbert Humbert of Lolita. A character I believe one of the highest pinnacle of a fictional entity. The main reason is the discoursive manner these characters are presented. Ginko and H.H. may be comparable in depth and complexity (albeit with different traits), but Ginko is exhibited through the medium of anime and manga, while H.H. is portrayed through a novel (also in shallower movie format, but that fact will not affect my point). Due to the fact the discourse of novels is far more heavy in words, and of course written by Nabokov, a master writer, consequently H.H. is constructed with more intricacy and detail than Ginko is. H.H. is an entity composed of tens of thousands of words, which gives far more little subtleties and sustenance for my mind to procure. Even to this day I muse of H.H. If Ginko was presented to me in the depths of a book that I read, perhaps I would've had a tougher decision. Plus, H.H. has served me well as an example for nearly half a decade (yes, I first laid my naive and inquisitive eyes on that book during my early teens). His profound and sophisticated qualities are guiding hands that have influenced me in behaving and becoming the person I am today...so far...

Ponderings of my mind. Forgive me for my ramblings.
Muir Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-08, 07:13   Link #183
choia

I was looking at the website (http://www.mushishi.jp/product/index.html) and noticed they've listed the DVDs (I think). In which case you'll notice that the last volume will have episodes 21-26.
choia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-08, 11:47   Link #184
DeathWolf

@quest -- of course i'd be doing softsubs, mp4 and avc probably
DeathWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-10, 22:25   Link #185
Siye

Mushishi 17 is OUT!!

Let's get DOWNLOADING and a BIG thanks to C1.
Siye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-10, 23:26   Link #186
EmptySoul
C1Anime

Mushishi 17 was a really weird episode...

Spoiler for episode 17:
EmptySoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-11, 01:25   Link #187
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muir Woods
Saw episode 19 as well.
Spoiler for Comments on ep 19:

Heh heh, the idea of Ginko being a role model has crossed my mind before. He sure possesses much admiring qualities, but after much thought and comparision, I soundly decided to stick to my old role model, that is, Humbert Humbert of Lolita. A character I believe one of the highest pinnacle of a fictional entity. The main reason is the discoursive manner these characters are presented. Ginko and H.H. may be comparable in depth and complexity (albeit with different traits), but Ginko is exhibited through the medium of anime and manga, while H.H. is portrayed through a novel (also in shallower movie format, but that fact will not affect my point). Due to the fact the discourse of novels is far more heavy in words, and of course written by Nabokov, a master writer, consequently H.H. is constructed with more intricacy and detail than Ginko is. H.H. is an entity composed of tens of thousands of words, which gives far more little subtleties and sustenance for my mind to procure. Even to this day I muse of H.H. If Ginko was presented to me in the depths of a book that I read, perhaps I would've had a tougher decision. Plus, H.H. has served me well as an example for nearly half a decade (yes, I first laid my naive and inquisitive eyes on that book during my early teens). His profound and sophisticated qualities are guiding hands that have influenced me in behaving and becoming the person I am today...so far...

Ponderings of my mind. Forgive me for my ramblings.
Nah, he can't beat Quentin Compson. William Faulkner is a master writer as well ...
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-11, 03:36   Link #188
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Loved episode 17. The communication system was really clever, and (as usual) the story was fascinating. But, I didn't like the rushed conclusion. Only bad thing in this episode, though.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-11, 12:33   Link #189
Beitel
Mushishi

Episode 17 was a bit of a letdown. I really loved the explanation of communication via Mushishi and people who need help, but the ending kinda sucked. This is the first time in many episoded that something like that happened. I really had the idea of "Hey, is it finished already?" Ah well, if the following episodes are still great.

Mushishi has turned into a love now, by the way. I love the setting, the mysterious Mushishi, the main character Ginko and the fact that you have so many stories. It hasn't got many highlights (with the exception of episode 12) but that's because every story is so damn brilliant.
Beitel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-11, 16:31   Link #190
Cal-Reflector

The consensus seems that episode 17 appears to be one of the less remarkable episodes of the show. I would certainly agree that it was one of the strangest ones; compared to the mushis which appeared in the other episodes, how the Usora (sp?) manage to carry the mail itself still eludes me somewhat, as well as the dimensional travel thing. The story seems less strong in its coherency as well.

And, let's face it, the ending was just the weirdest thing ever. *chuckle*
Old 2006-03-11, 19:32   Link #191
Simon
気持ち悪い

First of all, a big "thank you" to all the people who've been promoting Mushishi in other threads - after reading so many positive comments about it I've just watched the first two episodes, and, well you can guess the rest The fact that such a high-quality show has had its TV run cut short for lack of popularity makes me want to cry.

Anyway, as well as catching up on the subs I want to support the series by investing in the DVDs. According to the official site, the V1 Limited Edition came out 2006-01-25, which would normally make me pessimistic about finding it this late. However, Amazon seem to suggest the LE was delayed until March 31st, two days after V2! Does anyone know what's going on here? Have Amazon got their listing wrong (again), or am I looking at the wrong product?

Thanks for any info.
Old 2006-03-11, 21:22   Link #192
wao
OK.

Well, I hope you guys like ep 18, personally it was better than 17 - no rushed conclusions, and it presented a rather bittersweet story of a guy who left his hometown and became famous, but forgot about his hometown only until it became convenient to him... and it's sad because deep down he is a nice guy.

I don't know whether I can say ep 19 is better or worse, I still can't decide. The colour theme for it was white so everything looked a little faded out, but it worked for me. The story itself was ok at first but got a lot better later. Thoguh I wish the characters could've been fleshed out a bit more.

Well, finally the last TV episode of Mushishi has aired *sigh* May the gods of anime throw nasty sharp things at you, Fuji TV, for not letting such an excellent show air all the way through. If it's your fault that is (and I suspect it is!).

Now all I have to do is, like, download it... ._.
Old 2006-03-12, 00:50   Link #193
Emil Scherbe

a news flash

Mushishi episode 21 and later will be aired weekly on BS Fuji from May 14.
They announced at the end of episode 20.
Emil Scherbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-12, 00:51   Link #194
EmptySoul
C1Anime

I also liked episode 18 better than 17. The story is much more interesting and it's not really cut short. Also I have some great news. It seems that the last episodes will be airing in may and not september after all. So we only have a while to live without our mushishi fixes. I wonder what bumped mushishi out of its timeslot. Well... either way I see it as great news that we dont have to wait until september! Yay!!
EmptySoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-12, 02:41   Link #195
Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil Scherbe
OMG... so we don't have to wait till september?
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-12, 02:58   Link #196
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptySoul
I wonder what bumped mushishi out of its timeslot.
An entertainment industry that caters to an anime community that feeds on mediocrity and banality. Either that or something really, really, really good. I'll bet on the first one.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-12, 05:41   Link #197
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil Scherbe
Yahoo!!! That's great news. At least we won't have to wait all the way for the DVDs to come to be able to watch them. Otherwise we'd have to wait until August!

This is roughly what they did with Samurai Champloo as well, IIRC. Except they moved it halfway through the series rather than later on... good thing that didn't happen to Mushishi.

I like the cover of the Mushishi soundtrack CD... only 12 more days till it's sold. Soundtrack II comes out around June... 
Old 2006-03-12, 16:56   Link #198
aardvark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon
First of all, a big "thank you" to all the people who've been promoting Mushishi in other threads - after reading so many positive comments about it I've just watched the first two episodes, and, well you can guess the rest The fact that such a high-quality show has had its TV run cut short for lack of popularity makes me want to cry.

Anyway, as well as catching up on the subs I want to support the series by investing in the DVDs. According to the official site, the V1 Limited Edition came out 2006-01-25, which would normally make me pessimistic about finding it this late. However, Amazon seem to suggest the LE was delayed until March 31st, two days after V2! Does anyone know what's going on here? Have Amazon got their listing wrong (again), or am I looking at the wrong product?

Thanks for any info.
The 1st LE DVD actually came out in January. Amazon simply managed to get a restock, which is pretty unusual. Can't complain as I missed out on the first LE so ill be getting it along with LE2. Thank god the LEs are out every two months though because at ~ 10,000 yen a pop ^^;
aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-12, 19:14   Link #199
Snoop'

Or rather, Artland decided to make some more"limited edition" packs when they saw that many people were demanding it... (according to the official site) God bless them. BTW the LE boxset is very nice, I really loved the booklet and the big postcards.

I watched ep.16 the other day and to me it was an excellent episode. Sometimes amusing (Sayo is cute !), yet the thought of having one's own memory eaten is terrifying. The scene where Sayo left her seat and the shadow laid still was scary. Nice bittersweet twist at the end, too.

Ep.17 just downloaded, but I guess I'll go to bed and enjoy the so-called "less remarkable" episode another day...
Snoop' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-03-12, 22:50   Link #200
chucky
Always impatient

I would like to defend for ep. 17 -- it is imo the best episode i have seen (for all 20.... i liked the last one myself anyhow). The metaphor is beautiful (two sisters and a pair of cacoons) the emotion is controlled and the pace of story is just about right (though some may not like the ending but I think it is a good contradiction to the idea of loss) ep. 18 is a tad overdone, the redemption through raising the kid is a tad contrived and conventional, and the pace to me is not very satisfactory cuz the story is a little bit too long.
chucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, historical, seinen, supernatural