AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2007-12-22, 12:54   Link #21
Zero Shinohara
I'll keep walking.
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to Zero Shinohara
@hobbes_fan:

Haha that's true. I've had that happen a couple of times to me, although it's pretty rare that I get to that level of skill during gameplay. And I've got to agree that CS has some of the craziest stunts around. I mean, I didn't stop playing it for nothing .

"Lemme shoot this guy!" - Dude reads Zero's mind, turns back and it's a 1-hit KO.

One thing that aggravates me in FPSs is how people are douches. I'm usually the last one to buy a Heli or a VTOL in Crysis - and when I do, my awesome luck either gets me killed instantly or I take heavy damage in the first 30 seconds of play. So I go back to base to get repairs... WOOT, someone steals the thing! Oh jebus. . . I yelled so hard at that ass that I think he quit.

Sometimes I look back and think to myself, "how the hell did I manage to screw this up?"
Zero Shinohara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-22, 13:05   Link #22
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Yeah I always loved it when someone would stand out in the open and shoot at someone. I always nearly got 2 or 3 kills with that. (Headshot to open guy/ headshot to the guy shooting back and headshot to someone else running in to vulture a kill). I always believed a little finesse would win me most matches.
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=26308
hobbes_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-22, 14:15   Link #23
Twisted Reality
Is Neither Goth Nor Emo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scala Caeli View Post
What role do you play in an FPS the most?

Are you usually the...

Charger, who rushes into fights recklessly and rips everyone apart?

Sniper, who takes everyone down at a distance?

Ducker, who uses a lot of cover and takes a few shots every so often?

Bunny, who jumps around dodging bullets and shooting people at the same time?

Human Shield, who gets in everyone's way and ends up getting pumped full of holes?

Grenadier, who likes to toss grenades at the beginning of every round?
A little bit of everything.

I tend to find that I am the mid to close combat skirmisher. I guess I'd be that combination of "ducker" and "charger." I occassionally do sniping, but I typically detest snipers. Sniping does not necessarily equal finesse or intelligence.

Anyway, if you play FPS's long enough, you start defying easy categorization since you typically find value in a wide-range of game methods and techniques. That's just what happens when you start getting better at the game.

In Natural Selection (Half Life mod), you play an alien or a marine fighting over map resources and you upgrade guns or forms or whatever. Aliens encourage a more stealth/speed/tear-your-face off approach. So it's much easier to use hit-and-run tactics to preserve your health while reaping kills.

As a marine, you typically find that range and accuracy is your best friend. You find yourself finding methods of keeping aliens exposed long enough for you to put holes int them. Maneuverability is not your thing until you get ahold of a jetpack later on. Power armor, by contrast, affords you the extra few seconds you need to do the bullet-riddling. Power armor phalanxes and heavy weaponry is a favorite endgame strategy of many commanders.

In the infamous Halo, I was that auto-sniping whore everybody detests. You know, the pistol that Bungie so nerfed out of fright. (Halo 1 was excellent multiplayer. Halo 2 sucked in every aspect. Halo 3 is good.) In any case, nobody seems to enjoy the mid-range battles of duck-and-cover and blindsiding with pistols and grenades. Good times. Good times.
Twisted Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-23, 10:10   Link #24
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

I never understood the concept of hacks in fps. ( I sort of get it in MMORPG's where levelling up/gold/cash helps with the grind ). But in FPS I just don't get it. Wall hack/map hacks are uneccessary if you know how to play. I mean you play long enough you know where the hiding spots are. I mean 99% of the time standard intrusion techniques (watch any good swat doco) will prevent you from getting fragged repeatedly.

Oh when I mean finesse I don't mean sniping at distance. I generally meant a little common sense. Don't lock in on the kill zone, check around. Use silenced weapons, listen to where the gunfire is from, if you listen properly you should be able to figure out how many players in the firefight maybe a little more specific direction where they are in relation to each other. Use appropriate weapons, shotties/grenades and rapid fire weapons in cramped spaces. I can't belive how many noobs run around with rifles/pistols in tight environments.

I try to get through games without getting fragged once.
Old 2007-12-23, 14:00   Link #25
Twisted Reality
Is Neither Goth Nor Emo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes_fan View Post
I never understood the concept of hacks in fps. ( I sort of get it in MMORPG's where levelling up/gold/cash helps with the grind ). But in FPS I just don't get it. Wall hack/map hacks are uneccessary if you know how to play. I mean you play long enough you know where the hiding spots are. I mean 99% of the time standard intrusion techniques (watch any good swat doco) will prevent you from getting fragged repeatedly.

Oh when I mean finesse I don't mean sniping at distance. I generally meant a little common sense. Don't lock in on the kill zone, check around. Use silenced weapons, listen to where the gunfire is from, if you listen properly you should be able to figure out how many players in the firefight maybe a little more specific direction where they are in relation to each other. Use appropriate weapons, shotties/grenades and rapid fire weapons in cramped spaces. I can't belive how many noobs run around with rifles/pistols in tight environments.

I try to get through games without getting fragged once.
Mind you, I'm not commenting on your idea of finesse. I was really talking about this annoying sniper-fetish some people have. If you've ever played Halo PC, or Halo 2 (God help you) then you will understand the phenomenon where you are team-killed because you're "not skilled enough to use the sniper rifle." This same person who killed you has the self-control and intellectual maturity of an 8-year old. Ironically, this means that this person is actually worse than you at sniping. Inevitably, you run into people named stupid things like "5niper" or "Sniper645" or "AwesomeSniper2445." (They all suck at sniping.)

But my favorite newbie flaw, of all time, has to be misfired rockets. Rockets are almost impossible to miss with at close range, yet there are people who will insist on shooting over your shoulder instead of at your feet. Said rocket whizzes over your shoulder into the distance. This is pretty much the moment you gleefully smash-in your assailant's face for failing. It is hilarious.

And I agree with you that effect:death ratio is the truest measure of skill. In death match, it isn't about the number of kills you score, but the kills-to-death ratio. On objective maps, this will be an flagcap-to-death ratio (and so on). Any sot can score a one-to-one kill ratio, but that pretty much means you haven't advanced your team in a death match at all since you've been feeding points to the other team as fast as you gain them.
Twisted Reality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-23, 21:27   Link #26
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

One thing I tend not to use too much is Grenade launchers, anyone can rack up a big kill count with them, but when everyones doing it just isn't much fun.

I think there should be another role - The Noob: those that keep going the same way and getting killed over and over and over again, generally they don't seem to have a clue what they have to do, altho thats pretty much impossible in a online FPS.

also the blockers ya gotta watch out for, those that think 7 ppl can fit through a 1 person doorway at the same time
Old 2007-12-24, 03:13   Link #27
Nite
-------

Usually always a charger. Its much more satisfying getting kills with simple direct combat, even better if its with melee weapons.

Sometimes I'm a sniper or any other support unit if I'm really good with a sniper rifle or my attention is busy with something else (homework, eating, etc).
Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 18:09   Link #28
Jaden

Charger, I abandon all defenses for a chance of quick victory.

One weakness that human opponents often show is that they believe others, at least veteran players, to always be cautious, efficient. And so they make these assumptions. "We had such great defense here in the previous rounds, there's no way the enemy would just rush in." "There's no way he would willingly receive this potentially mortal blow just to get one hit at me." "There's no way he would try to capture the flag from here again, after getting owned so many times."

And true enough, these deductions usually allow for more efficiency and better scores than my relentless, brash playstyle. But they are also weaknesses waiting to be exploited...and it's by far more rewarding to me and humiliating for the opponents to win this way.
Old 2007-12-26, 18:14   Link #29
fuzzles
anal retentive

Send a message via AIM to fuzzles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimkill7 View Post
Charger. My friends always complain because I never consider strategy. For some reason sneaking around/ambushing opponents never works out for me. It has sort of become customary for me to end up with both the most kills AND most deaths to cancel out my kills . I rarely use the weapons on the maps too. Another thing I get often criticized for. I usually just go with the starting weapon and mow people down. I'm not above rushing into crowds of 4 if I think that I can take even 1 of them out before they drop me. All-in-all, I'm not that great as a team player I guess .
jc you're like a clone of me or vice versa wasting time picking up guns is for nubs
fuzzles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-26, 18:16   Link #30
shinobiknight0
I'm a Senior Member!
*Graphic Designer

I try to be a charger, but I usually end up as a sitting duck. I completely stink at all FPS games.
Old 2007-12-27, 06:46   Link #31
Keahi19

I usually pick neither. I get my little brother to be the charger to flush them out and I stay behind to be artillery or sniper. Depends on what I picked up. If I got nothin, but a machine gun. Smash in the face.

Also depends on the game. How come I sense I am the oldest one here? -_-
Keahi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-27, 11:26   Link #32
GomuBlade
Bugger

I think I'm something between a charger and a ducker, with a bit more weight towards the charger role. I always run straight into combat, while still sticking to the walls and using cover when possible.
Sure, I die a lot, but I usually manage to take 1 or 2 with me.

Doesn't really matter what game it is, this tactic still applies
GomuBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-27, 11:32   Link #33
Scala Caeli
Assassin Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Reality View Post
But my favorite newbie flaw, of all time, has to be misfired rockets. Rockets are almost impossible to miss with at close range, yet there are people who will insist on shooting over your shoulder instead of at your feet. Said rocket whizzes over your shoulder into the distance. This is pretty much the moment you gleefully smash-in your assailant's face for failing. It is hilarious.
I gotta agree with this one. ^^ People think firing at the upper body of an enemy will result in an easy instant kill because of the large size. However, what they don't take into consideration is the possibility that an opponent could simply strafe, roll, or dive to the side, then quickly blast your face off with a shotgun or some other close-combat weapon.
Scala Caeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-27, 16:43   Link #34
Davad
We're soul-brothers.

Send a message via MSN to Davad
I'd say charger and granadier. Becouse i always throw granades before i charge at the enemy. But yeah depends on the game, if possible i always get a melee weapon though.
Davad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-27, 20:38   Link #35
tkdtiger

Well I use to be a sniper until people became smart and didn't go near snipering areas, but it really depends what game...once sniping got boring I became a human shield lol
tkdtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-27, 22:05   Link #36
Keahi19

Well thats why you aim for the stomach.
Keahi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-27, 22:30   Link #37
celcius
Aspiring but lazy

Mmmm... last FPS I played was CS1.5 or something.
For casual gaming, I usually went charger-grenadier going in with an SMG/assault rifle + grenades and stun bombs. Strat on that was same for every round; get into position before they do regardless of grenades or stun bombs. From time to time, I go around with AWP+Deagle but I never stay in the same place for long. I usually hunt and out-snipe camping noob snipers xD Of course, when I'm the last one or just generally need more assault, I tend to drop my sniper rifle and pick an SMG/assault rifle lying around to surprise people (well, they're expecting me to be a sniper )
For more serious games, I'd usually stick with assault rifles + full set of grenades then change strats every round (sticking together, pincer, back attack, camp, etc).
celcius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-12-29, 09:49   Link #38
Haliya
Undesperate Housewife
*Artist

In CS: Sniper/Bunny... it depends on how much money I have or what gun my fallen comrade was carrying... XD
Haliya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 12:58   Link #39
CheoChiem

Send a message via AIM to CheoChiem Send a message via MSN to CheoChiem
Im the charger in counter strike just need a UsP an a ump
CheoChiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-30, 18:54   Link #40
hobbes_fan
You could say.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keahi19 View Post
I usually pick neither. I get my little brother to be the charger to flush them out and I stay behind to be artillery or sniper. Depends on what I picked up. If I got nothin, but a machine gun. Smash in the face.

Also depends on the game. How come I sense I am the oldest one here? -_-

err you're not I guarantee it.

Battlefield 2 is what i played for a while as well. 6 million was to die in that game. Particularly if you autojoin rooms. I've never gotten any better than 1:1.5 ratio from what I remember. I really like the night missions/maps. half the time you just walk into the enemy and holy crap - firefight!!!! After a while though you get used to it and it's really challenging.

I also hate when people turn off friendly fire. I want realism. It sucks to get shot by some trigger happy noob but it's far more rewarding IMO because you really have to communicate and work hard.

LOL I just remember the proximity mines in goldeneye on n64 great fun. Spent many hors LMAO with the stupid stuff we did in that game.