AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2017-07-15, 17:57   Link #1
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Villain and aware of it

I'm looking for an antagonist who is fully aware that what he or she is doing is evil but doesn't care about it. None of this pretending to be bad but actually be hidden good guy nonsense. The villain has a have a clear goal and does whatever he needs to do to get it. He doesn't have to win but he should have a well defined character. They don't bother to explain it to the hero, if he doesn't understand it then so be it. He doesn't have time to waste explaining. If the hero asks just how the antagonist can do all these things then he just replies with 'stop me or shut up'.

Bonus points if the story is told from the PoV of the bad guy.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-15, 20:08   Link #2
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

We don't yet know how things will turn out, but Charioce in Shingeki no Bahamut Genesis: Virgin Soul seems like a good fit.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-16, 09:12   Link #3
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Kind of hard to say; to an extent this depends on how strict you are on the person being aware of the fact that they're the bad guy. I mean, in the strictest sense, it's practically impossible to do bad and know it. Making the choice to do it directly implies that either you deem there to be a reason that in your moral code trumps the "evil" aspects of the act or you excuse yourself with some claim that it's "unavoidable" and you "had no choice", either way making your action either "good" or at least inevitable and therefore neutral.

That said, here are a few that I feel come close since they know that they won't be "understood", they know that they're hurting people and causing all sorts of disaster, and they're still completely unrepentant in their actions.

First is Assassination Classroom, but there's a bit of a spoiler here...
Spoiler:

Next, there's Boku Dake ga Inai Machi, AKA Erased. The guy killed three children in the hero's hometown, and probably many more in other places, set other people up to take the fall, and killed the hero's mother to keep her quiet when she wised up to him.

The Nanoha series villains have at least one like this. The first is broken by her path and is willing to do anything and hurt/kill anyone to regain what she lost, and she continuously uses her daughter Fate to make this happen, then beats her enough that I imagine even the really sick S&M fans start to cringe. In the third season, Strikers, the villain is basically something like an inventor of military superweapons who's big on demonstrating what his weapons can do, and how easily they can be used to attack anyplace without warning. He literally thinks about nothing but his research, making weapons and selling them.

Gonna Be the Twintails is a fair example. The villains are going from world to world stripping the inhabitants of their... fetishes? It doesn't sound bad, but they literally steal the people's ability to feel any love or passion for things, leaving the place very dull indeed. They particularly fit because they generally have the passions and fetishes they feed upon, so they're taking something they love and destroying everyone's ability to share that love; they on occasion bemoan how tragic it is but conclude with "oh well, it's what we do".

Also, while I haven't watched it myself, I'm pretty sure the antagonist from Monster would fit your bill quite well. From the things I've heard he's practically meant to be the Antichrist, or at least something very close to that level of absolute, unrelenting, unashamed and unrepentant evil.

Last edited by BWTraveller; 2017-07-16 at 10:21.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-16, 10:51   Link #4
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Junko from Danganronpa comes to mind.
Old 2017-07-16, 12:25   Link #5
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWTraveller View Post
First is Assassination Classroom, but there's a bit of a spoiler here...
Spoiler:
That's the masked guy right? I can't remember his name but I read the whole manga so it's not that high of a priority for me.

Quote:
Next, there's Boku Dake ga Inai Machi, AKA Erased. The guy killed three children in the hero's hometown, and probably many more in other places, set other people up to take the fall, and killed the hero's mother to keep her quiet when she wised up to him.
I should really watch this.

Quote:
The Nanoha series villains have at least one like this. The first is broken by her path and is willing to do anything and hurt/kill anyone to regain what she lost, and she continuously uses her daughter Fate to make this happen, then beats her enough that I imagine even the really sick S&M fans start to cringe. In the third season, Strikers, the villain is basically something like an inventor of military superweapons who's big on demonstrating what his weapons can do, and how easily they can be used to attack anyplace without warning. He literally thinks about nothing but his research, making weapons and selling them.
Precia never left that much of an impression on me. Jail Spaghetti was more a comedy villain in my eyes though. To be fair it didn't help that the show itself wasn't exactly the greatest either.

Quote:
Gonna Be the Twintails is a fair example. The villains are going from world to world stripping the inhabitants of their... fetishes? It doesn't sound bad, but they literally steal the people's ability to feel any love or passion for things, leaving the place very dull indeed. They particularly fit because they generally have the passions and fetishes they feed upon, so they're taking something they love and destroying everyone's ability to share that love; they on occasion bemoan how tragic it is but conclude with "oh well, it's what we do".
Oretwin is the only show I ever rated and I gave it 10/10. Twintails is the best fetish after all.

Quote:
Also, while I haven't watched it myself, I'm pretty sure the antagonist from Monster would fit your bill quite well. From the things I've heard he's practically meant to be the Antichrist, or at least something very close to that level of absolute, unrelenting, unashamed and unrepentant evil.
Monster has been on my list forever but 70+ episodes ;a; I'll watch it one day I promise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Junko from Danganronpa comes to mind.
Have heard a lot of good things about this show but never came around to actually watch it. Once I find some time I'll get to it.
Eisdrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-22, 17:55   Link #6
kitten320

I had a list with description but my internet glitched and it all got deleted -_-

So I'll keep it short.
I second Boku Dake

You also should check:
Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom (All about mafia and assassins that don't joke around)
Monster (Just big manipulator who does not care for anyone)
Psycho Pass (Has a point to prove and he will kill and manipulate to prove it)
Hunter x Hunter (Meruem, Spiders and etc who take pleasure in killing or want to rule or whatever, Basically do whatever they please)
Soul Eater (Medusa, even experimented on her own child)
Old 2017-07-23, 04:12   Link #7
dragon1412

Are you fine with Chinese novel though, there is one come immediately to my mind, personally one of my top picks.
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-11-11, 15:19   Link #8
0cean
Transfer Adventurer

There's this really cool SNES game where you play as the Maou (Overlord) going around killing people in villages and doing bad guy stuff. It's called Dark Half. It would be cooler if you didn't also play the Yuusha (Hero) half of the time.

Anyway, first, let's clear up that the antagonist cannot be the protagonist. The protagonist is the guy whose story is told. If the protagonist is evil, the antagonists are either also evil or the good guys. So if you want the point of view of the bad guy, you're getting a protagonist, not the antagonist.

So what anime are there, that fit the description?

[2004] Sunabouzu
He's the devil of the desert and a true villain at heart. In a hilarious but also serious way. And he stays true to his villain self. The best part is when he gets involved with some goodie two shoes and the usual routine of hey, maybe this guy isn't a villain after all plays itself out. Only for him to utterly reject that.

[2005] Gallery Fake
So con artists ain't exactly up there on the evil scale, but who cares. This guy does impressive work, knows it and gets away anyway.

[2006] Black Lagoon
The protagonists are outlaws and in the business of transportation. Like abducted children. It is more or less a story about a morally ambiguous protagonist becoming a real villain.

[2006] Boku no Pico
It's a story about two dudes doing really bad things. To each other. And they just don't care. It's not for the faint of heart, though.

[2007] Baccano
If everyone's a millionaire, no one is. If everyone's a villain, you get Baccano. It's just plain fun. Everyone knows they are the bad guys and they all get in each others ways.

[2008] Golgo 13 (also two movies from '83 and '98)
He's an assassin. He gets a target and he gets the job done. Pretty villainous, if you ask the next guy, but he doesn't position himself as evil, but as a killer. People pay, he kills. But not in the way of Noir (2001) where they are killers but also kind of tragic heroines. More in a I don't give a fuck way.

[2010] Cobra The Animation
This guy, Cobra, he is an outlaw. But he's just too charismatic to hold it against him. Also, he's kind of immortal and instead of an arm got a laser gun. He gives off the feeling of a space cowboy, chasing after pretty women while stealing treasures. No, you don't have to check out the show from the Eighties. You could, but this new series is more or less a reimagination.

[2012] Fate/Zero
It's not the ideal way to get into Fate, but this is pretty much an entire series about two broken characters having a fight. One of them thinks of himself as good, the other thinks of himself as evil. But both are more or less exactly the same.

[2012] Ashura
A movie about this kid, Ashura, who grew up in a famine and had to eat inappropriate stuff to survive. Like his mother. He doesn't really have a feeling for what's good and evil, but oh boy, is this guy good at doing evil stuff and not caring.

[2016] Overlord
Protagonist is the Overlord and he plans world domination. Nuff said.

[2016] Drifters
You just died fighting and now you find yourself in a new strange world. Turns out you're not dead after all. What to do? How about killing everyone you don't personally like and have a shot at conquering this world?

[2017] Youjo Senki
Subtitle: Saga of Tanya the Evil. And that's pretty much what you get. In an awesome way. Though, if you go by the book Tanya is more of a true neutral. And Tanya is playing it by the book. Just like lawyers, the most evil people of all time.

I could go on, but this is taking rather long, so I won't.