AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2014-01-26, 12:43   Link #301
Blaat

I don't think filler episode is the right description several things happen and got introduced in this episode which may or may not be important later on. The thing is if this were a two cour show then I'd feel like this show is on track. But it's a one cour show and we're already one third through the series which is kind of worrying to be honest.

I did enjoy the episode though, the second half was rather funny.

Next episode, it looks like the blonde long haired woman finally makes her appearance and Yukine moves up in the world of manhood and sleeps with Hiyori.
Old 2014-01-26, 13:31   Link #302
Libros
I never hid my hurts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
I don't think filler episode is the right description several things happen and got introduced in this episode which may or may not be important later on. The thing is if this were a two cour show then I'd feel like this show is on track. But it's a one cour show and we're already one third through the series which is kind of worrying to be honest.

I did enjoy the episode though, the second half was rather funny.

Next episode, it looks like the blonde long haired woman finally makes her appearance and Yukine moves up in the world of manhood and sleeps with Hiyori.
When you said "sleeps with Hiyori" I didn't think you meant he just slept in the same bed as her. Though it's not as if the alternative had any real chance of happening.(Just cause this doesn't seem like that kind of show)

Back to this episode: It was hilarious and learning a bit about Yato is always good. He talked about being a war god but I guess I didn't see him as the kind of god that lurked on battlefields, slaying foes. Just the whimsical stray hobo, I guess I was wrong. I hope we learn what caused this change as well as Nora's backstory.

I think the pacing is fine for a 1 cour. It seems it's only going to cover 1 arc so the show taking it's pacing nice and easy is probably for the best. I've still got high hopes for this show anyway.

Lastly about the OP: I like the full version, it's just a matter of taste I guess.
Old 2014-01-26, 13:45   Link #303
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libros View Post
Nora's backstory..
Just wanted to point out that "nora" is not a name. It's a term. It means "stray."
Old 2014-01-26, 13:49   Link #304
Libros
I never hid my hurts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
Just wanted to point out that "nora" is not a name. It's a term. It means "stray."
That's very interesting, I won't ask for any spoilers but thanks for this bit of info.
Old 2014-01-26, 14:43   Link #305
Bern-san

Quote:
Yeah but that's the way Yato referred to her and they'll explain what is a Nora in the future.

As much as I enjoyed the episode I think they're exceeding a bit on the comedy side. Probably this will be more balanced from now on with Bishamon's debut next week. I liked how they used Noragami Shuishuu's first chapter as a way to describe Kofuku's real nature as a binbogami.

From that scene with Nora (weird to listen Kugimiya in this type of role) I suspect they're going to make her presence as the trigger for Yukine's behavior.
Old 2014-01-26, 14:57   Link #306
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bern-san View Post
Yeah but that's the way Yato referred to her and they'll explain what is a Nora in the future.
I don't know about the future episodes. My point is just that they should have translated that word, especially since CR usually goes for localized translations. It looks inconsistent this way.
Old 2014-01-26, 15:05   Link #307
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libros View Post
When you said "sleeps with Hiyori" I didn't think you meant he just slept in the same bed as her.
Oh I meant that I was just having fun because it usually means something different.
Old 2014-01-26, 15:07   Link #308
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Question: You're a restaurant employee/owner. One winter day you notice a young girl lying on the steps. She appears to be out cold, doesn't react to anything. What do you do?
a) Shrug, pick her up, carry her into the restaurant, dump her somewhere inside and leave it at that.
b) Call an ambulance.

I mean, really.
Either one of your scenarios still involve helping the girl out somehow, not leaving her lying out cold on the street, which only proves my point. People will help out somehow, therefore her body shouldn't be in any danger when she leaves it.

Also unlike Bleach, there doesn't seem to be a (direct) possession mechanic in this series, so there is no worries about threats from Ayakashi either. We've seem an Ayakashi almost drive a child to suicide, but even then, they only influenced and tempted him instead of directly controlling his body.

Quote:
Narcolepsy is a real thing that's also a serious condition that requires medication and monitoring, it's not just "why is this girl lying randomly on the street? oh she must be narcoleptic, okay then"...

Sure, we're probably not meant to think too deeply about what happens to Hiyori's body when it's left behind (it reminds me of the early days of Bleach where people had to lug Ichigo's body around when he wasn't in it xD), but realistically she should wake in a hospital or at least in a crowd of concerned people most of the time.
Narcolepsy is also underdiagnosed because physicians and others often mistake it for more common things, like depression, general fatigue from irregular sleeping habits or overworking, etc.

The primary issue with narcolepsy also isn't that it's a malignant disease, but that it causes major inconvenience to a person's schedule, especially if they're students or have a job. With Hiyori being only 15, she still has a lot of growing to do, and missing out on school and socializing with friends would negatively impact that growth.
However, it doesn't look like Hiyori has been flunking out, and her school friends are still her friends. Her mood hasn't taken a downturn from being sleepy so often. Other than it being an inconvenience, most of her daily life hasn't been impacted as it should be.

Quote:
I don't know about the future episodes. My point is just that they should have translated that word, especially since CR usually goes for localized translations. It looks inconsistent this way.
Translating names is usually a line that most subbers don't cross. You don't see anyone translating the billion Sakura characters out there as "Cherry Blossom", do you?
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-26, 15:09   Link #309
Bern-san

Quote:
I agree that they should have translated the term, they did translate shinki after all although I don't have much problem with it. I suppose it's going to be mentioned in future episodes, it wouldn't make sense introducing her without saying what she is.
Old 2014-01-26, 15:11   Link #310
Blaat

Or maybe they haven't translated it to let the viewer assume it's a name, and later the viewer will find out it's in fact a term.
Old 2014-01-26, 15:28   Link #311
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Translating names is usually a line that most subbers don't cross. You don't see anyone translating the billion Sakura characters out there as "Cherry Blossom", do you?
Some words make good name material and others don't. For example, you wouldn't use "baka" as a name. Besides, there's also context to consider.

All in all, I feel CR dropped the ball here.
Old 2014-01-26, 15:29   Link #312
Excorsism

Nice episode. I haven't read the Shuuishuu volume yet so it's hard to say anything as a manga reader. Although judging by the preview for the next episode, it looks like they're still doing a chapter an episode. Is this really going up to chapter 23?
Old 2014-01-26, 15:30   Link #313
Shadow5YA

I really don't see the problem. Nora is something people call her by, therefore it's a name. It may not be the Shinki's proper name, and it definitely isn't a name given with integrity. But it's still a name that is identified with one girl.

Quote:
Some words make good name material and others don't. For example, you wouldn't use "baka" as a name. Besides, there's also context to consider.

If you feel that it's a bad name, then that's exactly why it's appropriate. You should already know that it was never meant as something to take pride in.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-26, 15:36   Link #314
Kafriel
Senior Guest

It's a real name, just not this one's real name and it also translates to stray - that is all. As for the episode, that's one crazy Gintama-like suicide fall +3 interesting characters added to the roster and, judging from the preview, there's more where that came from...

I love how Noragami transitions from slapstick comedy into mystery/horror mood in like, 2 minutes. Really looking forward to the rest of this!
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-26, 15:43   Link #315
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
I really don't see the problem. Nora is something people call her by, therefore it's a name.
Adjectives can be used as nouns. That doesn't make them names.
Old 2014-01-26, 15:47   Link #316
ookamigirl

Yato's dream was LOL
He's like a million years away for that ever happening.
Damn, sometimes he's truly a hopeless, childish, naive idiot...
It was kinda refreshing seeing Yato get what he deserves.
The new story was pretty fun to watch.
Especially the whole falling down conversation LOL
Wow! How knew Yato was so different in the past..

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-26, 15:51   Link #317
kuromitsu

Quote:

This is anime, so anything goes as far as names are considered. The majority of names you hear in anime/manga you wouldn't ever encounter IRL, and yet they're treated as perfectly normal in their own canons. Besides, by your logic Yuki should be called "Snow" because hey, that's what his name means, and he used to be a snowflake-like spirit.

Anyway, nice episode, finally we get the first sign of a plot. Kofuku and Daikoku were fun (though I wish they'd gotten Morikawa Toshiyuki to play Daikoku, for more seiyuu fun ), and the really long fall was funny, too. I'm still not sold on Yato, though. What with the Dark and potentially Angsty past, he's getting pretty clichéd. Oh well, Kamiya Hiroshi more than makes up for that.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-01-26, 15:53   Link #318
Kazu-kun

Quote:
by your logic Yuki should be called "Snow" because hey, that's what his name means, and he used to be a snowflake-like spirit.
I think you missed the point.

Anyway, I derailed the thread enough with this. Let's move on.
Old 2014-01-26, 16:26   Link #319
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Wow.

Lots of info revealed in this ep.... And it finally got interesting enough for me to push itvoff the fence and into the actively following sections.

Hmm.

Well, still could dispense without the over exxagerated dreams of grandeur Yato has - for some reason they just don't strike me as funny. Most everything else in the series is pretty solid, though.
Old 2014-01-26, 17:18   Link #320
Excorsism

Having looked over the chapters animated, looks like the next episode will cover the first half of chapter 5 and parts of chapter 6.

Although Nora meeting Yukine (and Hiyori for that matter) this early seems a bit weird.

I can feel the original ending coming already.

A few more weeks until the OST is released too!