AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2006-10-06, 21:47   Link #81
Li Jianliang
This is my ____ face

Send a message via AIM to Li Jianliang Send a message via MSN to Li Jianliang Send a message via Yahoo to Li Jianliang

Spoiler for Another speculative observation:

I'm loving this nationalism stuff. It's so intriguing.

TV Size lyrics for opening theme, if anyone needs them:

COLORS (TV Size Version)
Vocals: FLOW
Lyrics: Asakawa Kohshi, Hayashi Keigo
Composition: Asakawa Takeshi
Arrangement: FLOW & Tsutaya Koichi

Jibun o Sekai sae mo kaete shimaesou na
Shunkan wa itsumo sugu soba ni

Kakusenu iradachi to
Tachitsukusu jibun o mitsume

Mayoinagara Nayaminagara Kuyaminagara
Kimereba ii sa
Kimi ga kureta kotoba hitotsu Tomadoi wa kiesari

Karappo datta boku no heya ni hikari ga sashita

Miageta oozora ga aoku sumikitte yuku
Tozashita mado o hiraku koto o kimeta
Jibun o Sekai sae mo kaete shimaesou na
Shunkan o kanjiru Ima koko ni

The moment that seems to able to change me and even the world
Is always right by my side

Gazing at unconcealable irritations
And the me who stands completely still

While I’m confused, while I’m troubled, while I’m grieving
I should decide on it
With the one word that you gave me, my perplexion vanishes

In my room that seemed empty, light shined

The great sky that I looked up at grows serene in blue
I’ve decided to open the closed window
Here and now I feel the moment
That seems to be able to change me and even the world

Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru episode 6: Dawn of the golden witch
Translations & summaries & screenshots
Part I | Part II In progress

Last edited by Li Jianliang; 2006-10-22 at 00:06.
Li Jianliang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-06, 22:44   Link #82
aardvark

After rewatching the episode, despite whatever other misgivings I had, I suddenly realised the biggest.

The after episode illustration! This is one of the staples of Taniguchi's shows! Of course maybe it was the raw I had that cut it off. Anyone know if there was one? I'td be shame if they dropped this especially considering how nice Kimura's ones were for Gun x Sword...
aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-06, 22:48   Link #83
Not_At

Uh, so I don't watch that much anime anymore, but I was getting really, really excited about this series. The animation looked great, the costume design looked great, the mecha and fight scenes looked great, the characters looked great....

and then I read the plot summary. This is the 21st century, the century of globalization, internationalization, friendships across boundaries. If this show's target audience is teenagers, then they do not need to be shown anything that fosters nationalism. Sure, they're concerned about North Korea. Why take it out on the poor white British gaijin?
Believe me, I'm a teenager, I know how impressionable some of us can be. x_x Especially if, in Japan, only a portion of Japanese schools teach a World Geography course (not all US ones do, but some realize how important it is)

Ohh dear, I was so looking forward to this. Now I'm starting to get worried, especailly since Abe took over Koizumi's job as the Prime Minister of Japan.....

P.S On the bright side, isn't this aired at like 2:00 AM in Japan? If it is, thank God, because I shudder to think the difference this would make in that prime-time spot that's so popular.
Not_At is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-06, 23:23   Link #84
JarOfMayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_At View Post
Uh, so I don't watch that much anime anymore, but I was getting really, really excited about this series. The animation looked great, the costume design looked great, the mecha and fight scenes looked great, the characters looked great....
and then I read the plot summary. This is the 21st century, the century of globalization, internationalization, friendships across boundaries. If this show's target audience is teenagers, then they do not need to be shown anything that fosters nationalism. Sure, they're concerned about North Korea. Why take it out on the poor white British gaijin?
Believe me, I'm a teenager, I know how impressionable some of us can be. x_x Especially if, in Japan, only a portion of Japanese schools teach a World Geography course (not all US ones do, but some realize how important it is)

Ohh dear, I was so looking forward to this. Now I'm starting to get worried, especailly since Abe took over Koizumi's job as the Prime Minister of Japan.....

P.S On the bright side, isn't this aired at like 2:00 AM in Japan? If it is, thank God, because I shudder to think the difference this would make in that prime-time spot that's so popular.
Yes it is late late night.

I do think in the sense of images protrayed to young people... it should be away from imperial/nationalism tides. The special's interviews suggested that story wise, viewers themselves may become confused with who they really like, who they think is right. As we already have seen the "Attack" and the "Counterattack" both have shown ugly sides. One being oppressive and one being terrorists... Little difference to people who become victims.

C.C. in her contract sequence also mentions that the Geass power ("King's" power i think its referred as) will "isolate", "make solitary" the user, Lulu. Like many have already mentioned, just the power itself will probably corrupt Lulu just like it has corrupted the empire already. And the story... some mix of Lulu... Terror vs. Empire and all the people who are ignorantly innocent...

mmm Now I wonder if C.C. is only gonna be spiritual presence... ---; kinda sucks lol Then again she did grab his wrist after being .. killed? lol... the way Suzaku and C.C. got bonked makes it this feel like were going to have one of those...
Quote:
Asuran (turns around): "Oh sheet Fraga shoza!" (Aren't you supposed to dead?)
Muu: "No I'm Neo Norarok(w/e)!"
Asuran: huh?
Moments...
JarOfMayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-07, 01:51   Link #85
solomon

finally saw the show, it was a whiz bang of an opener. It reminds me of scryed in a sense. Hopefully, it'll balance the action with the strong overarching themes AND keep the plot above too many cliches (scryed got stupid in the last 3rd part of the show with mujo). Lelouch will be an interesting character to follow. The animation didn't blow me away but it was still good, i've grown to like Kimura's interpretations of the CLAMP designs too (his ending illustrations are awesome). Music was good, like how BGM intergrates so well that you don't even really notice it. That being said, i like Nakagawa's scores but does anyone else think his trademark saxophones just jarred with the feel of the last bit of Lulu axing those soldiers just a teense?
Let's hope we keep this level of seriousness constant through the show (i read originally that this was to be a mix of campus and robot anime and after seeing that bleak opener, i think those trademark "high school hijinks" would just totally ruin the shows jive.)
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-07, 02:15   Link #86
Li Jianliang
This is my ____ face

Send a message via AIM to Li Jianliang Send a message via MSN to Li Jianliang Send a message via Yahoo to Li Jianliang
Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
The animation didn't blow me away but it was still good, i've grown to like Kimura's interpretations of the CLAMP designs too (his ending illustrations are awesome).
I think the ending sequence illustrations were directly done by CLAMP. The painting style is similiar to their recent artwork.

Umineko no Naku Koro ni Chiru episode 6: Dawn of the golden witch
Translations & summaries & screenshots
Part I | Part II In progress
Li Jianliang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-07, 02:34   Link #87
aardvark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li Jianliang View Post
I think the ending sequence illustrations were directly done by CLAMP. The painting style is similiar to their recent artwork.
Nah, they're 100% by Kimura. I'm certain of that. The coloring and finishing is pretty much exactly like his illustrations for Gun x Sword as well.
aardvark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-07, 07:36   Link #88
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_At View Post
As a poor white British gaijin, I find the whole concept rather laughable. If it was an alternate future based on an alternate history where Britain won the War of Independance and expanded her powerbase throughout the colonies then yes, that would be a neat concept.

Okay it's fiction and fantasy, but really Britain taking over the world? God save King Lulu!
Sonhex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-07, 08:17   Link #89
wao
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon
Let's hope we keep this level of seriousness constant through the show (i read originally that this was to be a mix of campus and robot anime and after seeing that bleak opener, i think those trademark "high school hijinks" would just totally ruin the shows jive.)

YES. I totally agree. We'll wait and see, but there's a very high possibility of it happening - I hope it doesn't. Screw lightheartedness. If you want to have that don't do it with high school hijinks! Please...

Not_At: Perhaps it's precisely because of those themes that it's aired at 2:00 rather than 6:00 pm (where it might earn the ire of more than a few leftie parents).

The whole thing about there being more girls like CC (and the way they're lined up like that) reminds me a bit of Coralians in Eureka 7... Actually that was one of the things I liked about that show, I wonder if they'll do something similar here.
Old 2006-10-07, 08:42   Link #90
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Hopefully the high school setting is nothing more than a short-lived gimmick setting which will be used to just reinforce Lelouch's "out of place with the rest of the world due to teh King's power" in which in both his rationalized fake life where he lives normally as a student, and his alter-ego's life as the Black King (( the Batman Lelouch )) where he would probably ally himself with the Japanese terrorist, and his attempts to walk both ways would end up backfiring, and creates nothing but turmoil for the rest of his normal friends.....hopefully.

I said that, but looking at Suzaku wearing the school uniform, I think the setting will be there for a while unless there's the whole Suzaku infiltrates school and spies on Lelouch/terrorist thingy.

I hope the school gets bombed in due time. Hopefully it won't take too long.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-07, 12:45   Link #91
DoReMiFaSo
Samba!!

This one exceeds my expectations, because I didn't have much before I watched it.

I am intrigued by this..

Spoiler:
DoReMiFaSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-07, 13:12   Link #92
Retsoor

How ever did the Britons succeed in conquering half the known world when they're practically incapacitated during five o'clock tea time? Regardless, you'd think they'd have read the Evil Overlord guidebook by now, even if you think your subjects have less worth than vermin in private but you're trying to enlist their cooperation in public, do not name a country "Area 11". That's just not sensible.

I hope they don't broaden Lelouch's power's abilities too much, but seeing as it is a "King's" power, i.e. domination, I don't think I'll be disappointed. I am, however, going to cry foul if this has a happy ending for all parties involved (... except the Empire naturally), it isn't going to fit with the path Lelouch has set on. Personally I'm hoping for a Prince of Nothing -esque ending to this piece.

I have high hopes for the - as Nightengale put it - Batman. Capes can only be used by the most badass of individuals, and Lelouch does seem determined to not be a slouch in that particular department.

Do not deviate from the path of the Legend of Ragnarök, Lelouch.
Retsoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-07, 14:06   Link #93
solomon

you know its just me probably, but the violence in the episode seemed much more visceral as opposed to other shows with this much violence. I think it has to do with the designs which look far too "cute" for all the violence. (once again design theory, i don't expect to see wide eyed characters engaging in such well CARNAGE, eeeeee). Then again they said the same thing happened in V gundam and Now and then, Here and There (which i havent seen yet, really wanna see V tho)
solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-07, 16:26   Link #94
Oberon

Quote:
Originally Posted by solomon View Post
you know its just me probably, but the violence in the episode seemed much more visceral as opposed to other shows with this much violence. I think it has to do with the designs which look far too "cute" for all the violence. (once again design theory, i don't expect to see wide eyed characters engaging in such well CARNAGE, eeeeee). Then again they said the same thing happened in V gundam and Now and then, Here and There (which i havent seen yet, really wanna see V tho)
Concerning the violence I actually got a little annoyed by it, as it was used as an overly dramatic way to manipulate the audience into seeing how bad bad bad the empire is. "LOOK HERE! THEY'RE KILLING OLD PEOPLE! AND CRYING CHILDREN TOO! COME ON, BE DISGUSTED AND HORRIFIED ALREADY!!11!"
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-08, 00:12   Link #95
Sakuya
*Artist

Did I hear right, did the orange-haired girl call Lelouch "Lulu" for short? Funny nickname. I love the designs.
Sakuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-08, 00:24   Link #96
Owaranai Destiny
Nick of Time~

Send a message via AIM to Owaranai Destiny Send a message via MSN to Owaranai Destiny
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
Concerning the violence I actually got a little annoyed by it, as it was used as an overly dramatic way to manipulate the audience into seeing how bad bad bad the empire is. "LOOK HERE! THEY'RE KILLING OLD PEOPLE! AND CRYING CHILDREN TOO! COME ON, BE DISGUSTED AND HORRIFIED ALREADY!!11!"
That's a little dramatic of you, but it is true. Perhaps it had been a little overly dramatic of them to put in scenes where we see (or hear) harmless people with hardly any means of fighting back getting slaughtered.

While I say that, sometimes these things do happen. It's just that we deem it to be humanely impossible, because it would simply be denying the humanity in the soldiers who do the dirty work for their leaders.

Watched the RAW, and from the POV of a mecha lover, I wouldn't be too happy...yet. The mecha designs aren't as flashy as those from the Gundam series, that's for sure, but if anything left an impression on me after the first episode, it certainly wasn't the mecha battle sequences or the designs.

It would be interesting to see how Lelouch develops as a character, though, because I find it hard to imagine him returning to peaceful life so soon when a whole section of soldiers ordered to secure the terrorists' truck were mysteriously killed.
Owaranai Destiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-08, 01:52   Link #97
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Hey Clovis is Nobuo Tobita famous for his role as Kamille Bidan and for playing psychotically evil characters who laugh like maniacs.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-08, 03:27   Link #98
JarOfMayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owaranai Destiny View Post
Watched the RAW, and from the POV of a mecha lover, I wouldn't be too happy...yet. The mecha designs aren't as flashy as those from the Gundam series, that's for sure, but if anything left an impression on me after the first episode, it certainly wasn't the mecha battle sequences or the designs.
I think we all have to crank our mecha love knobs... from

Quote:
Kira: OMG everybody quit fighting (please) *Everybody in scene goes pink kaboom*
Sort of semi-Super Robo sense...

To something like Gasaraki... Thats what Nightmares (especially the backside cockpit) reminds me of the most. I believe the Gasaraki mechs were called... uhh T.A.? I forget. Think of Nightmares like that and I think we have a neat mecha series. (hopefully)
Old 2006-10-08, 08:07   Link #99
Owaranai Destiny
Nick of Time~

Send a message via AIM to Owaranai Destiny Send a message via MSN to Owaranai Destiny
Quote:
Originally Posted by JarOfMayo View Post
I think we all have to crank our mecha love knobs... from

Sort of semi-Super Robo sense...

To something like Gasaraki... Thats what Nightmares (especially the backside cockpit) reminds me of the most. I believe the Gasaraki mechs were called... uhh T.A.? I forget. Think of Nightmares like that and I think we have a neat mecha series. (hopefully)
You misunderstand. I was just referring to the designs, that's all. "Flashy" isn't really a positive word in my vocabulary, and it would be most refreshing to see a main character like Lelouch take centrestage instead of do-gooders with seemingly pure intentions in their minds. In fact, your quote about Kira just made me remember why the hell I didn't really LOVE GSD in the first place.
That being said, I don't mind CODE Geass having a pinch of humor added in.
Owaranai Destiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-08, 12:21   Link #100
JarOfMayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owaranai Destiny View Post
You misunderstand. I was just referring to the designs, that's all. "Flashy" isn't really a positive word in my vocabulary, and it would be most refreshing to see a main character like Lelouch take centrestage instead of do-gooders with seemingly pure intentions in their minds. In fact, your quote about Kira just made me remember why the hell I didn't really LOVE GSD in the first place.
That being said, I don't mind CODE Geass having a pinch of humor added in.
I see what you mean. lol I like Lulu too. Can't wait for next week's episode... So many questions left to answer.