AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Umineko

Notices

Old 2011-10-13, 05:46   Link #25081
Bluemail
Zero of the roulette

I don't actually believe Ronove being George in that scene, but I just threw that into the discussion.

I too noticed how George's talk with Gaap might have been directly with Shannon. It does fit better than her being Jessica. But Beatrice and Gaap's relationship is a bit similar to Shannon and Jessica's. I don't think it would be too far-fetched to think that Gaap would be some kind of representative of Jessica-as-accomplice, even if not in the fight scene of EP4. George is more suspicious, but they might both be in it. Though I don't like how much it's going to the direction that almost everyone is taking part in it.

Random joke theory time:
You remember anime and game adaptions having a slim George in them?
Of course REAL George is fat in both. The adaptions use an alternate timeline where Kanon is impersonating George in the adaptions using glasses (foreshadowed in EP6 naming George Kanon, and the EP2 thing about Kanon in someone's earlier post). Kanon actually exists! Shannon is probably still trans-meido when Kanon and George appear in the same place. Maybe he actually has a pillow under his shirt in the original versions too, which would make this an universal theory.

Last edited by Bluemail; 2011-10-13 at 08:41.
Bluemail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 13:06   Link #25082
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Or George never came to the island. George died of diabetes and Eva and Hideyoshi had to hire a stand-in.
Old 2011-10-13, 13:18   Link #25083
Bluemail
Zero of the roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
Or George never came to the island. George died of diabetes and Eva and Hideyoshi had to hire a stand-in.
Correction to the last post, real George WAS fat in both before dying of diabetes. Kanon or some other impersonator works. Maybe Okonogi lent young Amakusa to Eva and gave him a secret mission to wipe the Ushiromiyas out of existence.
To be continued in When They Cry 5, Yamainu no Naku Koro ni...
Old 2011-10-13, 16:18   Link #25084
Cao Ni Ma

If I was writing umineko I'd definitely have two sets of sprites for George. Normal fat George (Fatter than he normally is in the original sprites) and slim-fit martial artist George for the fantasy scenes. Also, flat as a board Jessica and more voluptuous Jessica for the fantasy scenes.

Quote:
*Eva in her death bed next to Ange*
Eva- George! If you hadn't eaten those cakes
Cao Ni Ma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-14, 20:55   Link #25085
Cao Ni Ma

Reading some old things, particularly the Witches Tanabata, is Maria's god complex foreshadowed here? Or is it referring to another girl? Why would you even add that blurb there, seems out of place.
Old 2011-10-14, 21:32   Link #25086
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

The girl is heavily implied to be Miyo Takano from Higurashi.
Old 2011-10-14, 21:36   Link #25087
Cao Ni Ma

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
The girl is heavily implied to be Miyo Takano from Higurashi.
Ah that makes more sense, didn't really pay a whole lot of attention to Kai.
Old 2011-10-14, 21:38   Link #25088
ErenselTheJester

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldendust View Post
Though couldn't that just mean that people seeing golden butterflies in the story, it just means that it is a fantasy scene? Have they appeared anywhere else?
In EP1 Kanon saw golden butterflies during his rant against Beatrice, it either implies that he's going insane or that he's simply mistaking it for something else, such as smoke and embers coming from Kinzo's burning corpse. Before that, Shannon presumably noticed a golden butterfly flying passed her, there is nothing else indicating her going insane, though.

In any other episode, golden butterflies would basically appear anywhere, so if they are indication of insanity, then basically everybody's insane... which could explain alot.
ErenselTheJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 00:51   Link #25089
Kealym

Pretty sure we can just take the servant's word for it that the golden butterflies signify "Beatrice's presence", and serve to notify us of her obfuscating fantasy narrative.

The only people who seem to clearly become a bit unhinged due to the stress, on the gameboard, are Natsuhi / Eva in Legend and Turn, and probably Yasu in Alliance. :-/
Kealym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 02:36   Link #25090
Bluemail
Zero of the roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErenselTheJester View Post
In EP1 Kanon saw golden butterflies during his rant against Beatrice, it either implies that he's going insane or that he's simply mistaking it for something else, such as smoke and embers coming from Kinzo's burning corpse. Before that, Shannon presumably noticed a golden butterfly flying passed her, there is nothing else indicating her going insane, though.

In any other episode, golden butterflies would basically appear anywhere, so if they are indication of insanity, then basically everybody's insane... which could explain alot.
I don't think Ryukishi meant that in the scenes where people see golden butterflies means the people are going insane. It's more of a sarcastic comment that if they really saw golden butterflies they would be going insane. But they never really saw any because they were sane enough people, meaning that the scenes with butterflies didn't happen exactly as we see them. Well, that should be obvious by now.
Old 2011-10-16, 19:31   Link #25091
Oblivion

In episode 7 during the Tea Party, who was the game master? Bern says that she wasn't the game master.
Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-16, 20:02   Link #25092
Kealym

Well, either :

1. That wasn't even a game (a valid view for several reasons), just a tasteless ... display, or
2. Bitch be lying

Take your pick?
Kealym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-16, 20:29   Link #25093
Kylon99

I forget how the scene goes, but didn't they hear Eva-Beatrice's trademark line at the beginning of the play or something? All I remember now is that that is the clue we're supposed to use when Bernkastel said she wasn't really the storyteller this time around.

So, that's what leads me and some others here to believe that EP7 was more a story from Eva's diary or something.
Kylon99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-16, 20:37   Link #25094
haguruma

Send a message via ICQ to haguruma Send a message via MSN to haguruma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylon99 View Post
I forget how the scene goes, but didn't they hear Eva-Beatrice's trademark line at the beginning of the play or something? All I remember now is that that is the clue we're supposed to use when Bernkastel said she wasn't really the storyteller this time around.
At the beginning of the play, when the stage is still dark, we hear Eva-Beatrice's trademark line and some stuff that is definitely in her manner of speech. Also Ange responds that it is definitely "that old hag's", "aunt Eva's" voice and that she should just show herself. We also know that the spirit of Yasu has already been excorcised from Clair, thus she as a vessel would be free.

Bern's comment that their is no gamemaster is way too much used as a weapon against Ange, even keeping it from her until it really hurts her, so I think it's actually true. It being a scene from Eva's diary is quite likely,especially it shows almost oly scenes from Eva's perspective or guessable area and also shows events that are beyond Beatrice's passing.
haguruma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-16, 20:59   Link #25095
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion0101 View Post
In episode 7 during the Tea Party, who was the game master? Bern says that she wasn't the game master.
I personally think she's lying, or at the very least is stretching the truth, as in her last conversation with Featherine she claims "I never got to do any real Gamemastering anyway", despite being the Gamemaster of the MAIN part of EP7.

Moreover, the Tea Party wasn't really a Game so much as a SHOW, so there's quite a few ways she can claim she's not the Gamemaster.
Old 2011-10-16, 23:26   Link #25096
J the Drafter

Well, Bern really didn't do much gamemastering. She created the patchwork kakera with Lion and Yasu co-existing, and she watched Will solve Beatrice's game.

Incidentally, I have an idea for why Yasu started dressing up as Kanon. Imaginary beings and items need to be acknowledged by at least one outside observer or they stay as mere delusions, right? Yasu wanted to validate the truth of Kanon's existence by making other people believe and act like he existed. True, the motive does depend on Yasu's nonstandard frame of mind, but it's an action that's in-character for her.

Someone else came up with this argument for how no one was able to notice the illusion, which I'm taking and modifying, but I can't remember the name of this person. The theory for how says that Kanon spent a lot of time serving Kinzo, and that when he was busy working as a regular servant, Shannon was busy serving Kinzo instead. Both 'Kanon' and Shannon could take turns working privately with Kumasawa or Genji to stay out of sight. Lastly, if you make Kanon a servant who only works at the island on some days, and have Genji claim that Shannon's schooling has been expanded to the point where she's away from the island more frequently, you may be able to create a Shkanon ruse capable of fooling Natsuhi and Jessica.
Superman: “You know what, Ein? Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us into something better. And on my soul, I swear — until my dream of a world where dignity, honor and justice becomes the reality we all share — I'll never stop fighting. Ever.”

“Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom” and “Superman vs. the Elite”

(Mostly accurate dialogue, but with a little editing to make it mesh better.)
J the Drafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-17, 00:51   Link #25097
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Quote:
Well, Bern really didn't do much gamemastering. She created the patchwork kakera with Lion and Yasu co-existing, and she watched Will solve Beatrice's game.
She also wrote the scenario, controlled the actions of every character aside from Will and possibly Lion, and controlled the flow of time and space like a god. What more do you want?

Quote:
Incidentally, I have an idea for why Yasu started dressing up as Kanon. Imaginary beings and items need to be acknowledged by at least one outside observer or they stay as mere delusions, right? Yasu wanted to validate the truth of Kanon's existence by making other people believe and act like he existed. True, the motive does depend on Yasu's nonstandard frame of mind, but it's an action that's in-character for her.
I agree.

Quote:
Someone else came up with this argument for how no one was able to notice the illusion, which I'm taking and modifying, but I can't remember the name of this person. The theory for how says that Kanon spent a lot of time serving Kinzo, and that when he was busy working as a regular servant, Shannon was busy serving Kinzo instead. Both 'Kanon' and Shannon could take turns working privately with Kumasawa or Genji to stay out of sight. Lastly, if you make Kanon a servant who only works at the island on some days, and have Genji claim that Shannon's schooling has been expanded to the point where she's away from the island more frequently, you may be able to create a Shkanon ruse capable of fooling Natsuhi and Jessica.
You may be referring to my idea, being that since they're supposed to be different servants, and servants have shifts where they can serve weeks or months on the island and then weeks and months OFF the island, and given that the conference is noted as a SPECIAL instance requiring them both there, that the two are usually apart save for rare times in the year where they overlap. Yasu can spend several weeks as one character or the other and say that the other is on leave.
Old 2011-10-17, 02:43   Link #25098
J the Drafter

I was thinking along the lines of creating a story for everyone to act out, though your points about Bern writing the setting and controlling the characters had slipped my mind. In Bern's game, though, everyone simply stands around (maybe talking) until Will and Lion show up to talk to them. In the other games, by contrast, there's a definite plot.
Superman: “You know what, Ein? Dreams save us. Dreams lift us up and transform us into something better. And on my soul, I swear — until my dream of a world where dignity, honor and justice becomes the reality we all share — I'll never stop fighting. Ever.”

“Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom” and “Superman vs. the Elite”

(Mostly accurate dialogue, but with a little editing to make it mesh better.)
J the Drafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-17, 03:29   Link #25099
LyricalAura
Dea ex Kakera

I've been working on a translation of that interview that was linked in the Translation Project thread. I'm not finished yet, but here's a rather interesting part as a teaser, talking about the scene in EP8 of Beatrice and Battler jumping in the ocean. The interviewer is Ryuukishi's editor, incidentally.

Spoiler for May 2011 interview (just a small part):

Last edited by LyricalAura; 2011-10-17 at 04:48. Reason: Translation updated
LyricalAura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-17, 04:12   Link #25100
Nachtprophet

Seriously? Ryuukishi seriously said that?!

That would make Yasu's entire motivation to get a declaration of love from Battler, George and Jessica and then kill herself.

Ryuukishi thinks women don't want to live with their loved ones. I think that dequalifies him to talk about any emotion ever.
Nachtprophet is offline   Reply With Quote