AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Upcoming Series > Upcoming Archive

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2016-05-27, 04:16   Link #1
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Violet Evergarden (Winter 2018) Anticipation

Kyoani just released a teaser video about an anime adaptation of Violet Evergarden that's "in the works".

Violet Evergarden is a light novel series written by Kana Akatsuki and illustrated by Akiko Takase. It is known for being the winning the Grand Prize in the 5th Kyoto Animation Award.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Publisher Summary for Part A
“Auto Memories Doll.” It’s already been a long time since that name was first popularized. It’s a machine that Dr. Orlando created that talks in a natural voice. At first, he only made it to help out his loving wife, but before long they spread out into the world. and companies were made to lend them out.

I’m Violet Evergarden, the Auto Memories Doll who will
rush to provide service anywhere you wish.

That translucent voice comes from a robotic beautiful girl with blonde hair and blue eyes like she came out of a storybook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA Comment on Violet Evergarden
A work suitable for our first Grand Prize. The writing clearly and simply conveys the author's message as well as allows the reader to imagine the character's emotions and scenes. It makes a strong case.
Its appeal draws the reader in and makes them want to finish it all in one sitting. Connected with how it strongly moved a lot of our judges, it was elected to win the Grand Prize.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Old 2016-05-27, 04:44   Link #2
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

This is a completely unprecedented announcement that I totally did not anticipate.

Spoiler:
Old 2016-05-27, 04:59   Link #3
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

When I watched the teaser, I felt like an entire century passed by while I was on my seat.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Old 2016-05-27, 06:01   Link #4
tsunade666

the animation is top notch but I can't say for kyoani. Kyoani has lots of miss for me lately... okay that was wrong. its full of miss. the last time I watched kyoani works that I enjoy was hyouka and that was years ago.
Old 2016-05-27, 07:30   Link #5
Router25
World Connector. I think

Is this another movie?
Old 2016-05-27, 07:34   Link #6
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Is this gonna have fighting in it? KA hasn't exactly been stellar with their combat-themed offerings.
Old 2016-05-27, 07:35   Link #7
drawr

Looks beautiful but I can't say that's enough to sell me when it comes to kyoani.
Old 2016-05-27, 07:50   Link #8
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
Is this gonna have fighting in it? KA hasn't exactly been stellar with their combat-themed offerings.
Maybe, but from what little of the summary the studio's shared, and this PV, I'm under the impression that Violet herself seems to have been made as a chronicler first and foremost, an observer of human lives. That would be something.
Old 2016-05-27, 07:50   Link #9
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Kyoani fantasy. I think i will pass. All thier inhouse fantasy animes have been shit.
Old 2016-05-27, 07:52   Link #10
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Based on the synopsis, it won't be completely fantasy in the vein of swords and magic.

Old 2016-05-27, 09:22   Link #11
Kuroageha
Mystic Musician

They'll find a way to ruin storytelling with Kyoani antics TM.
Old 2016-05-27, 11:03   Link #12
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

The problems with their previous adaptations of their own LNs was with plot. Maybe this time it won't be shit as it actually won the Grand Prize.
Old 2016-05-27, 11:03   Link #13
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
the animation is top notch but I can't say for kyoani. Kyoani has lots of miss for me lately... okay that was wrong. its full of miss. the last time I watched kyoani works that I enjoy was hyouka and that was years ago.
It's exactly the same for me. Since Hyouka, the only KyoAni show that's remotely held my interest as a story was S1 of Chuunibyou. Yeah, their visuals are great - top-shelf. But this sham of giving so-called "awards" as a way to fuel the hype machine for producing stuff they own has stifled them creatively (even more than normal). They've always been a bit of an ouroboros studio - very insular and self-contained - but their business model has made things much worse.
Old 2016-05-27, 11:25   Link #14
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

I'm really itchy to argue about Hyouka but I won't. IMHO the only good KyoAni show after Disappearance was Euphonium. Chu2Koi and Amagi were watchable but nothing to write about.
Old 2016-05-27, 11:31   Link #15
Sagitta Luminis
Yousoro~

That's Ufotable level of animation. Hopefully KyoAni will will return to themselves with this one, minus the yuri-baiting, of course.
Old 2016-05-27, 12:37   Link #16
AB079
Banned

Oh this looks amazing!

>Kyoani

Okay abandon the ship.

Leaving sarcasm aside, that teaser was incredible but I lost all the faith in Kyoani thanks to the last 4 or 5 series produced by them, always praising their works but ended on being trash or something completely different from the source material full of yuribait, yaoibait or something else.

I still have hope on Koe no Katachi tho but the news about it are nonexistant.
Old 2016-05-27, 12:53   Link #17
AntonKutovoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB079 View Post
I still have hope on Koe no Katachi tho but the news about it are nonexistant.
Yeah, we only know staff, cast and release date. Absolutely no info at all
Old 2016-05-27, 13:06   Link #18
rulfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
It's exactly the same for me. Since Hyouka, the only KyoAni show that's remotely held my interest as a story was S1 of Chuunibyou. Yeah, their visuals are great - top-shelf. But this sham of giving so-called "awards" as a way to fuel the hype machine for producing stuff they own has stifled them creatively (even more than normal). They've always been a bit of an ouroboros studio - very insular and self-contained - but their business model has made things much worse.
This is the only award they've given though. So what awards are you saying?

Honorable Mentions? I think we've had enough experience now that we can't call those awardees.

Yes it's true that KyoAni in house novels have been so shit to the point that the it's hurting them. Maybe that's the reason they got Hibike Euphonium and Koe no Katachi. It's a sacrifice they're making to make a more sustainable business. You'd be surprised how much a studio can only get on one contracted work. By now SHAFT or even Studio WIT should have had more growth now that it currently does considering those huge sales their past shows garnered.

One could just easily say, why won't they work with the likes of Okada or some renowned writer and just make a story of their own. Such names probably cost so much. That's probably the reason why they're known to get obscure materials and even new comer VAs.

So let's just sit back and relax. Wait and hope this is actually something worthwhile.

Also why does it sound like Hibike Euphonium was trash.
Old 2016-05-27, 13:17   Link #19
com_gwp

Personally, cautious anticipation. That trailer was absolutely gorgeous, and the material looks like it could be something a bit more mature in the veins of Hyouka. (Hah, I know, we said that for KnK as well.)

Here's a bit of extra synopsis on the anime website that I didn't see in the OP (translated by anon):
Quote:
Violet Evergarden is an "Auto Memories Doll," a robot made to help those who cannot write put their thoughts on paper. Throughout her life, Violet meets many people and connects many hearts together through their letters to one another. Though her time with each person is short, the bonds formed during her time with them will not easily be forgotten.
This makes it sound like an episodic fantasy series, sort of like how Kino's Journey is structured.
Old 2016-05-27, 14:29   Link #20
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

I don't want to be drawn in by KyoAni's lies again... But... B-But dat animation...