AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-08-12, 23:04   Link #721
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperlion View Post
Just saw first episode of Lucky Star it was boring, I don't get why people liked it. It was like high school anime version of Seinfeld expect Seinfeld was funny and Lucky Star wasn't. I don't like the intro it annoyed me, and the character were boring.
Uh...because every single episode after that was a lot better? It's really an acquired taste, though. And how much do you know about the characters after just one single episode, especially in a slice-of-life character-driven show?
Old 2007-08-12, 23:40   Link #722
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
Uh...because every single episode after that was a lot better? It's really an acquired taste, though. And how much do you know about the characters after just one single episode, especially in a slice-of-life character-driven show?
Well for me this show did not make me laugh only time that was slightly amusing was reference to street fighter. And I heard that it has lot of reference to other anime and that just means that lazy writer and bad comedy. If they are forcing comedy through reference to other shows that is just laziness and not creative. When they were talking about food in the beginning that just boring and not funny at all and if this is what will be like in the future episode I am expecting nothing much. The character were pretty generic from what I saw, there were nothing special about the character so they felt boring. Of course this is all opinion.
Old 2007-08-12, 23:44   Link #723
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Well for me this show did not make me laugh only time that was slightly amusing was reference to street fighter. And I heard that it has lot of reference to other anime and that just means that lazy writer and bad comedy. If they are forcing comedy through reference to other shows that is just laziness and not creative. When they were talking about food in the beginning that just boring and not funny at all and if this is what will be like in the future episode I am expecting nothing much. The character were pretty generic from what I saw, there were nothing special about the character so they felt boring. Of course this is all opinion.
You're asking originality for a parody show?
Well I guess, that means, you would absolutely hate a show like Robot Chicken.

Your statement reminds me of the critique who dissed a Jet Li kung-fu movie for "not having good storyline", to which another critique said "I don't know what you're looking for in this type of film, but I went to see Li kick some ass, which it delivered".
Old 2007-08-12, 23:48   Link #724
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Quote:
To its credit, the references in LS were much better integrated than most other referential shows, such as Hayate the Combat Butler. It feels more character-driven, not gag-driven. And if references always mean lazy writers and bad comedy, then there exists no such thing as a good parody in this world. I just can't agree with such a statement.
Old 2007-08-12, 23:51   Link #725
cicido
I'm so moe I kill myself
*Artist

well reference is what makes a comedy show funny, it is not laziness or lack of creativity. Besides, to me it's hard to find the characters boring when you have an otaku girl that you can most certainly relate to, a tsundere that is just uber moe, and two super cute natrual girls.( I'm almost sounding like a fan boy which I hardly find myself doing)
Old 2007-08-13, 00:02   Link #726
Nenkitsune

Send a message via AIM to Nenkitsune Send a message via Yahoo to Nenkitsune
LS changed directors after the first 4 episodes as well if I remember, and it got WAY funnier after that. It's a parodyish show that works. It's about a bunch of girls school life, one of then is an anime freak, of course she'd reference anime/games lol. Funny thing is, my group of friends do the same thing.

I wouldn't mind throwing Tenjo Tenge out the window after I watched the whole series. I thought I was half way through it then BAM "THE END" WTF?!

もいちど。。。
Old 2007-08-13, 00:10   Link #727
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
You're asking originality for a parody show?
Well I guess, that means, you would absolutely hate a show like Robot Chicken.

Your statement reminds me of the critique who dissed a Jet Li kung-fu movie for "not having good storyline", to which another critique said "I don't know what you're looking for in this type of film, but I went to see Li kick some ass, which it delivered".
Well I actually like Robot Chicken and it does more then parody, for example one of my favorite skit was little Hitler which wasn't a parody. If the show is only funny because of parody then that it just laziness it does not try to create it's own comedy that is why it's bad.
Quote:
To its credit, the references in LS were much better integrated than most other referential shows, such as Hayate the Combat Butler. It feels more character-driven, not gag-driven. And if references always mean lazy writers and bad comedy, then there exists no such thing as a good parody in this world. I just can't agree with such a statement.
If they over use it then, yes it becomes laziness. I do like reference to other show that's why I said that the street fighter amused me, however if they used parody over and over then it is a bad writing.
Old 2007-08-13, 00:26   Link #728
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Quote:
Well I actually like Robot Chicken and it does more then parody, for example one of my favorite skit was little Hitler which wasn't a parody. If the show is only funny because of parody then that it just laziness it does not try to create it's own comedy that is why it's bad.
If they over use it then, yes it becomes laziness. I do like reference to other show that's why I said that the street fighter amused me, however if they used parody over and over then it is a bad writing.
Actually, several of the episodes have very few anime references. The only episodes that are reference-heavy are episodes that focus on a situation where you would naturally expect to see lots of anime, such as when the characters visit Comiket or when they go to Konata's cosplay cafe. As I said, the references are well-integrated into what's going on in the show, and not just random shout-outs that could have been taken out without changing anything.

But then again, you ARE judging a show just by the first episode and what some other people have said about it. If that were my criteria for judging a show, I'd consider Death Note to be one of the worst anime in recent times. After all, I found the first episode to be rather boring and poorly paced, plus I heard about how the later episodes are filled with incredibly convoluted plot twists that suggest poor, sensationalist writing. However, I have more respect for Death Note than that...
Old 2007-08-13, 00:53   Link #729
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Actually, several of the episodes have very few anime references. The only episodes that are reference-heavy are episodes that focus on a situation where you would naturally expect to see lots of anime, such as when the characters visit Comiket or when they go to Konata's cosplay cafe. As I said, the references are well-integrated into what's going on in the show, and not just random shout-outs that could have been taken out without changing anything.

But then again, you ARE judging a show just by the first episode and what some other people have said about it. If that were my criteria for judging a show, I'd consider Death Note to be one of the worst anime in recent times. After all, I found the first episode to be rather boring and poorly paced, plus I heard about how the later episodes are filled with incredibly convoluted plot twists that suggest poor, sensationalist writing. However, I have more respect for Death Note than that...
But Death Note is not a comedy, for show like Death Note I usually watch till 3 to 5 episode to see if the get interesting. For a comedy I usually I watch one episode to judge it, since for a comedy there is no plot twist of some kind and the writing of the first episode basically reflect the rest of the seires. So to me Lucky Star wasn't funny enough to watch it, still I might be misjudging it if as Nenkitsune is correct and they change the director then I might give it an another shot. But if the rest is the same as the first one then this show deserve to be used frisbees.
Old 2007-08-13, 01:03   Link #730
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

Quote:
But Death Note is not a comedy, for show like Death Note I usually watch till 3 to 5 episode to see if the get interesting. For a comedy I usually I watch one episode to judge it, since for a comedy there is no plot twist of some kind and the writing of the first episode basically reflect the rest of the seires. So to me Lucky Star wasn't funny enough to watch it, still I might be misjudging it if as Nenkitsune is correct and they change the director then I might give it an another shot. But if the rest is the same as the first one then this show deserve to be used frisbees.
Actually, I dislike such a criterion for comedy as well, since jokes are vastly subjective and usually always will swing from boring and trite to fun and enjoyable even when coming from the exact same source. It sounds rather cynical to assume that no comedian can alternate their style, or that all jokes of a particular style won't make you laugh. If that were the case, then I wouldn't think very highly of Ouran High School Host Club or Azumanga Daioh at all...because neither first episode got me laughing all that much, and it's suppose to be a comedy/parody. However, from what I can see, it would naturally get better as you become more familiar with the characters that perpetuate the comedy. This is true of almost all comedies that are character driven rather than mere inane slapstick. And that's the reason that I've seen many Lucky Star fans give.

(Strangely enough, I seem to know more Lucky Star fans in RL than fans of most other non-mainstream anime, including those that I didn't even know watched anime. Just today, I found out that a friend of mine who's never even heard of Haruhi Suzumiya actually loves Lucky Star as well.)
Old 2007-08-13, 01:27   Link #731
Nenkitsune

Quote:
still I might be misjudging it if as Nenkitsune is correct and they change the director then I might give it an another shot. But if the rest is the same as the first one then this show deserve to be used frisbees.
Yutaka Yamamoto was the director from 1-4, then his boss (Yasuhiro Takemoto) wasn't happy with the way he was doing things and pulled him. Or something along those lines. The way the show flows now is much smoother, and the jokes don't seem so out of place/randomish. I think it does a good job of having all the parody without getting old or anything.

もいちど。。。
Old 2007-08-13, 04:36   Link #732
fantasiser2004

Send a message via Yahoo to fantasiser2004
Sakura Diaries. Lunar Legend Tsukihime. Yumeira.
Old 2007-08-13, 04:44   Link #733
Nenkitsune

O_O How could you say Tsukihime!! I'm on episode 6 right now and I love it! (especially the fighting games)

もいちど。。。
Old 2007-08-13, 06:14   Link #734
shimboismyhusband
Otaku in training.

Send a message via AIM to shimboismyhusband Send a message via MSN to shimboismyhusband
ack.
naruto, pokemon, digimon, dragon ball Z and the escaflowne movie.
little kiddy stuff, and escaflowne just didnt catch my eye.
Old 2007-08-13, 06:29   Link #735
shimboismyhusband
Otaku in training.

Send a message via AIM to shimboismyhusband Send a message via MSN to shimboismyhusband
Nor would I mind Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Old 2007-08-14, 06:46   Link #736
Itachi-evil
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimboismyhusband View Post
ack.
naruto, pokemon, digimon, dragon ball Z and the escaflowne movie.
little kiddy stuff, and escaflowne just didnt catch my eye.
You are right.

Are you really just 13years old?

But i started with these animes.

Ah not to forget one thing which is also just trash imo, "Kickers"!
Just lmao^^
Old 2007-08-14, 06:53   Link #737
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nenkitsune View Post
O_O How could you say Tsukihime!! I'm on episode 6 right now and I love it! (especially the fighting games)
That's because Tsukihime did not do most of the characters the justice they deserves. I am starting to believe that Type-Moon is cursed with underwhelming animated adaptations, especially regarding the level of praise each of their games gets, while Key is enjoying good ones thanks to their buddies from KyoAni.
Old 2007-08-14, 11:24   Link #738
Nenkitsune

I suppose you're right on that, but I still like it.

もいちど。。。
Old 2007-08-14, 11:27   Link #739
anselfir
Style Über Alles

LS is pretty good anime. It is definitely not a show for people who treat anime plot srsly (LOL). so yeah it is not a show for kids.
Old 2007-08-14, 13:08   Link #740
Itachi-evil
Banned

LS ?

Well something to add to this list :

Tenjo Tenge

Manga is good

Anime is just absulutely bullsh§$ and nonsense. There is just no real plot, nor much explanations.
Waist of time.
Closed Thread