AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > AnoHana

Notices

Old 2011-04-16, 14:04   Link #221
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

nah, i think its just how he envisions her if she was grown up. they hinted that she died via drowning, so i doubt that'll put her in a coma.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 14:09   Link #222
mysterious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3120 View Post
Ah, yes. It truly is a sight.

The more astonishing question is she appears in an adult body. Saying she's "back in her mature body" sounds like you're saying she died at that age, but it contradicts what Episode 1 implies that happened: that she died the day "the tomorrow which never came," which Jinta regrets. I think you read that wrong.
Sorry, I make it confused. What I want to say is "Do she come back to life in a mature body with a child mentality?"
mysterious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 14:34   Link #223
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
nah, i think its just how he envisions her if she was grown up. they hinted that she died via drowning, so i doubt that'll put her in a coma.
But is she just a "vision"?It looks as if she can interact with the real world,like how the glass fell in her parent's house.

So right now Jinta considers her a "vision" but I wonder if he'll start to reconsider that soon,and I wonder if the other characters are going to be able to see her.
Old 2011-04-16, 14:46   Link #224
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

He thinks she's a vision born of his emotional state, but I think she is really supposed to be some kind of ghost.

Anyway, good start to a promising story.

Around half of all the shows I like are from the noitaminA timeslot, so its disappearance would be a tragedy, for me. If they have to turn to some otaku tropes to get viewership/purchasers, that's okay by me, as long as the shows retain their quality.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 15:41   Link #225
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
He thinks she's a vision born of his emotional state, but I think she is really supposed to be some kind of ghost.

Anyway, good start to a promising story.

Around half of all the shows I like are from the noitaminA timeslot, so its disappearance would be a tragedy, for me. If they have to turn to some otaku tropes to get viewership/purchasers, that's okay by me, as long as the shows retain their quality.
ITA. But I'm still wondering what otaku tropes this hits. Is it just because Menma is cute? There have been kawaii girls on other NoitaminA shows...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 15:50   Link #226
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

The other two girls are so far from being otaku bait that I tend to think Menma's moe appeal is incidental.
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 15:53   Link #227
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
If it's just his hallucination of her then there's no way the scene with her family could've possibly happened since he wasn't there. And as has been stated she can clearly affect the physical world.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 16:36   Link #228
kagato3

I just noticed something, Menma is shocked Jin can see her when she first answered her back. She's been doing this for who knows how long and it's the first time anyone answered back. It's no wonder she goes into full pester mode when he trys to ignore her.

I doubt Jin's vison of her would have any influnce on her as He is stuck in the past and even asks why she looks like that.
Higurashi: Its a bit like watching a trainwreck, except you keep getting to see different trains wrecking with roughly the same passengers, into a variety of different objects. Also, the trains are driven by monkeys. On LSD.
kagato3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 16:49   Link #229
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
The other two girls are so far from being otaku bait that I tend to think Menma's moe appeal is incidental.
I'd say Menma's characterisation is based on whatever Japanese tropes Moe was originally drawn from.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 17:09   Link #230
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquigleone View Post
I'd say Menma's characterisation is based on whatever Japanese tropes Moe was originally drawn from.
I kind of wish her hair and eyes when she was alive were black. She’s really a oddball compared to the other characters.
Old 2011-04-16, 18:04   Link #231
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellissier View Post
Sure, the 160 px height comes as the standard version but it's always modifiable.

Did you also want your name by any chance?
Nah, its ok. I use my sig more to advertise the shows I like; putting my name would like defeat the entire purpose.

Thanks a lot btw! Just too bad I'm too much of rep stingy that I can't rep u lols.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 18:07   Link #232
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic

I was completely annoyed for the first ten minutes. So this is what anime has come to in 2011... a shut-in otaku hallucinating about his childhood friend. It was painful to watch. Jin's enthusiasm decided to pack it's things and move to another country.

The second half was equally painful to watch. But instead of being another boring waste of time, the story turned into the saddest thing I've seen. And I've seen Pokemon: The First Movie.

Anohana struck many chords with me. I go to a competitive high school, have a relatively small group of close friends. But why can I truly relate? I had a lot of elementary school friends. We would go to camps, play chess, do homework, and even watch anime together (yeah, I was born an otaku). I never saw any of them once I left elementary school. We simply went to our separate ways.

Do I think this is the best first episode of 2011? I can name quite a few I enjoyed better. But I can think of none that killed me inside as much as Anohana. So yes, I think this is the best.

The question is whether I want to be an emotional masochist for another 11 episodes... I just hope there are moments of happiness interlaced as well, to "ease" the pain.
Deconstructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 18:54   Link #233
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
I kind of wish her hair and eyes when she was alive were black. She’s really a oddball compared to the other characters.
I think Menma's only half Japanese. Her mother seems to be Russian (look at the names outside her home).

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 19:14   Link #234
applejuice
I kill you
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deconstructor View Post
I had a lot of elementary school friends. We would go to camps, play chess, do homework, and even watch anime together (yeah, I was born an otaku). I never saw any of them once I left elementary school. We simply went to our separate ways.
I didn't, at least in Korea. Because there are so many schools in small region due to ridiculous population density, I always had to meet all my elementary school friends inevitably. As long as living in the town/region, I could still meet and play with them occasionally. Same for Japan, I think.
Old 2011-04-16, 19:33   Link #235
Kokoru Asami
*Graphic Designer

Well i have to say that after watching this first episode it has so far been the most enjoyable for me to watch out of this season. That being said i wasn't expecting it but i know I'm going to love this show, the story is very realistic and with that ED how can i not love it!
Old 2011-04-16, 20:20   Link #236
kyouray
2D > 3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deconstructor View Post
Anohana struck many chords with me. I go to a competitive high school, have a relatively small group of close friends. But why can I truly relate? I had a lot of elementary school friends. We would go to camps, play chess, do homework, and even watch anime together (yeah, I was born an otaku). I never saw any of them once I left elementary school. We simply went to our separate ways.
Same here. I think that's the case or something similar for several people who watched this series.
Old 2011-04-16, 20:22   Link #237
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
I think Menma's only half Japanese. Her mother seems to be Russian (look at the names outside her home).
I just checked, and you're right. Her mother's romanized name is approximately Irene.

If her mother is Russian, then it's a bit weird for her to be taking part in Japanese Death rituals.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 20:33   Link #238
Kouvley

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
I see what you mean now, thanks for the heads up (though I probably should've paid more attention to the ending credits).
Heh, I was just about to post a link up for the vid aswell since I currently have the song on loop again.
Kouvley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-16, 20:54   Link #239
Taufiq91

Quote:
Originally Posted by donquigleone View Post
I just checked, and you're right. Her mother's romanized name is approximately Irene.

If her mother is Russian, then it's a bit weird for her to be taking part in Japanese Death rituals.
Maybe Menma's dad is a Shinto and the mom became a convert?

And don't forget that there are Shintos in east Russia before the Revolution you know. Most of the Russian shintos fled to Japan after the Revolution.

Oh, and this was one of the heaviest melodrama animes i've seen in the past few years. If the first episode manages to make me feel sad, i know that this will be a huge tearjerker in the end.

This is one of those animes that makes you feel like you want to watch something happy after that. It'll make you feel bad for whatever you're doing after watching this.
Old 2011-04-16, 21:04   Link #240
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

... the first episode didn't really manage to make me feel side at any point in time, I was just intellectually enjoying the good script writing. Does that make a monster?
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coming of age, drama, noitamina, slice of life, supernatural, tragedy