AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-07-16, 01:15   Link #8241
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

All right. That's enough. Now let us discuss something else.

Venezuela hands over alleged Colombian drug lord to US

Well at least there's one thing Venezuela and the US have something to do together.

Tea Party activists fund sign linking Obama to Hitler

I can already imagine what the majority of the Tea Baggers doing right now: Faceplaming and screaming "You Idiots! What were you thinking!?" at the guys who made that Sign.

Workers unearth 18th Century ship at 9/11 site

Robbie Williams rejoins Take That on new album

Oh Yes. As a Take That fan, all i can say is....
Old 2010-07-16, 05:06   Link #8242
killer3000ad

BP finally stops leak

Not getting my hopes up, but lets hope nonetheless.
Old 2010-07-16, 08:39   Link #8243
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Israeli attack on Iran would start long war: report

Quote:
(Reuters) - An Israeli attack on Iranian nuclear facilities would start a long war and probably not prevent Iran from eventually acquiring nuclear weapons, a think-tank said on Thursday.

Oxford Research Group, which promotes non-violent solutions to conflict, said military action should be ruled out as a response to Iran's possible nuclear weapons ambitions.

"An Israeli attack on Iran would be the start of a protracted conflict that would be unlikely to prevent the eventual acquisition of nuclear weapons by Iran and might even encourage it," it said in a report.

It would also lead to instability and unpredictable security consequences for the region and the wider world, it added.

The United Nations Security Council imposed a fourth round of sanctions on Iran last month over a nuclear program the West suspects is aimed at developing atomic weapons in secret. Iran says it wants nuclear energy for peaceful uses only.

The report, by Paul Rogers, professor of peace studies at the University of Bradford, said U.S. military action against Iran appeared unlikely but Israel's capabilities had increased.

"Long-range strike aircraft acquired from the United States, combined with an improved fleet of tanker aircraft, the deployment of long-range drones and the probable availability of support facilities in northeast Iraq and Azerbaijan, all increase Israel's potential for action against Iran," it said.

Israeli leaders usually speak only of leaving all options on the table, although Israeli Deputy Prime Minister Moshe Yaalon said in May that Israel had the capability to hit Iran.

Israel is widely believed to have the Middle East's only nuclear arsenal. The Jewish state neither confirms nor denies this.

THREE TO SEVEN YEARS

The Oxford report estimated it might take three to seven years for Iran to develop a small arsenal of nuclear weapons if it decided to do so. It said there was no firm evidence such a decision had been taken by the Islamic Republic.

Any Israeli strike would be focused not only on destroying nuclear and missile targets but would also hit factories and research centers and even university laboratories to damage Iranian expertise, the report said.

This would cause many civilian casualties, it added.

Military action would include the direct bombing of targets in Tehran and probably include attempts to kill technocrats who managed Iran's nuclear and missile programs, the report said.

Iranian nuclear scientist Shahram Amiri alleged on Wednesday that had been abducted in Saudi Arabia and flown to the United States. Washington denies kidnapping him. Iran's Foreign Ministry said Amiri was on his way back home.

Iran's responses to an Israeli attack could include withdrawing from the nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty and immediate action to produce nuclear weapons to deter further attacks, the report said.

They could also include missile attacks on Israel, closing the Strait of Hormuz to push up oil prices and paramilitary or missile attacks on Western oil facilities in the Gulf.

After a first strike, Israel might have to carry out regular air strikes to stop Iran developing atom bombs and medium-range missiles, the report said. "Iranian responses would also be long-term, ushering in a lengthy war with global as well as regional implications," Rogers said.

Other options open to the West were to redouble efforts to get a diplomatic settlement or accept that Iran may eventually acquire a nuclear capability and use that as the start of a process of balanced regional de-nuclearization, the report said.
You know, it kind of sucks to have a group of idiot radicals surrounding one president on one side, and an idiot radical president manipulating his followers on another.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-07-16, 09:28   Link #8244
cors8
Kuu-chan is hungry

The next great threat for our troops in Afghanistan:

Jihad Monkeys!

Old 2010-07-16, 09:38   Link #8245
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Is it ever OK to call someone a Nazi?
Old 2010-07-16, 12:33   Link #8246
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
As a commenter noted, you'd have to eliminate terms like "vandal" or "draconian" as well --- they all refer to actual people who some found scary.
Old 2010-07-16, 12:35   Link #8247
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
As a commenter noted, you'd have to eliminate terms like "vandal" or "draconian" as well --- they all refer to actual people who some found scary.
the Vandals are scary, they sack Rome afterall.
Old 2010-07-16, 13:01   Link #8248
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

However in that article there is one big QFT....

Quote:
People use the term for impact but it's wasted - people focus on the word, not what's being said.

Jason Vit

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2010-07-16, 14:24   Link #8249
JMvS
Rawrrr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
the Vandals are scary, they sack Rome afterall.
Actually they got badmouthed a lot for that (they weren't the only ones to do it), occluding the fact that they built a rather enlighted in North Africa. Actually it's kinda ironic, as they somehow resuscitated the Punic Empire, both in the same place and as maritime foes of Rome.
Old 2010-07-16, 16:54   Link #8250
Mr. DJ
Schwing!

Peter "Speed Racer" Fernandez passes away at the age of 83.

http://www.retroist.com/2010/07/15/r...dez-1927-2010/

So he was pretty much the godfather of anime being brought to the US.
Old 2010-07-17, 01:16   Link #8251
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjTrizz View Post
Peter "Speed Racer" Fernandez passes away at the age of 83.

http://www.retroist.com/2010/07/15/r...dez-1927-2010/

So he was pretty much the godfather of anime being brought to the US.
Speed Racer was one of a handful of anime I watched as a kid. The first was Kimba the white Lion, then Speed Racer and Star Blazers. There is no question that my childhood enjoyment of these three shows led directly to my continuing fascination with anime today.

Rest In Peace, indeed.
Old 2010-07-17, 01:26   Link #8252
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

It's All in Your Head

Quote:
It's been said that there is no stronger, faster or more powerful tool on earth than the human brain.

Yet when it comes to our businesses, too few of us fully tap into our brains' vast and proven ability to make things happen. Perhaps we get tied up in daily details, focus more on what is practical and tangible or dismiss the idea that our thoughts can affect our reality as "new-age-y hocus pocus."

Regardless of our opinions, the cold, hard subjective data of science tells us that the power of our brains can be harnessed to change, create and influence results and outcomes in all areas of our business lives.

So how can you begin to build your powerful business mind-set?

Begin with the end in mind.
Working without a clear goal or defined end-point can result in lots of effort with no real results. Unless you know where you are headed and make your moves with purpose and intention, then you are likely directionless and inefficient. Take some time to determine what your business is all about. What are your financial goals? Goals for services or products? Sales goals? Marketing? Reputation? What's important and what's not? The more clear you are in these areas, the more likely it is that you will reach (and later exceed) your goals.

Opt for positive. Have you heard the term "self-fulfilling prophecy?" It is a statement you make or a thought you have that alters actions and events so that what you say or think eventually comes true. In other words, if you say or think you will sign (or lose) a big client or that you will bomb (or ace) your big presentation, guess what? Chances are you will be right. As Henry Ford said, "Whether you think you can or can't, you're right." Instead of skeptical or deflated, why not choose confident or hopeful?

Choose your posse. When it comes to committing to maintaining a positive mind-set, it's important to not overlook your sphere of influence. Who are you getting advice from? Which people are supporting you? Do you have more cheerleaders than naysayers in your business life? Negativity and negative people can suck the energy from your worthwhile pursuits and derail you from your focus. Taking an honest look at hangers-on who might be sapping your positivity and dragging you down takes courage and can be painful. The alternative, however--allowing them to drag you down with them--will likely be far more painful.

Take off your blinders.
Clarity regarding where you want to be is like fuel for your brain. Set your mind to it and be specific, and opportunities, breaks and offers will begin to come seemingly out of nowhere. That said, be open to the idea that you can get from Point A to Point B in many ways, including ways you may never have considered or realized. The more open you are to options and possibilities--however they come--the more those options and possibilities will actually come your way.

Expect it.
True business success takes more than simply launching a website, printing business cards and opening a bank account. If your actions are not lined up with your thoughts, your external results will be as jumbled as the internal. Instead of taking what comes and being reactive to the circumstances of your business, why not grab the reins and see what you can do to create things as you would like them to be? While you are at it, take those efforts one step further; don't just hope for what you want--find ways to make it happen. Believe in what you are doing, and when it comes to the results you want, have confidence that what you seek will find its way to you--and you to it.

The bottom line is that developing and honing your positive mind-set is not about make-believe and naive wishes. Nothing takes the place of good old-fashioned effort and work. But when your thoughts and actions are in alignment and you are clear and focused on what you seek and where you are headed, amazing things can--and do--happen.

Old 2010-07-17, 02:06   Link #8253
Joojoobees

Quote:
Venezuela hands over alleged Colombian drug lord to US

Well at least there's one thing Venezuela and the US have something to do together.
Incidentally, there is a new movie out by Oliver Stone that is largely about USA/Venezuela relations (and the way Venezuela is represented in the media).
http://southoftheborderdoc.com/
It isn't being shown in any theaters in this part of the country, so I can't see it.
Old 2010-07-17, 06:49   Link #8254
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

The battle for Nelson Mandela's legacy

I feel sorry for Mr Mandela.
Old 2010-07-17, 12:41   Link #8255
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosauz View Post
I swear you are an enigma of hypocrisies and contradictions that just don't make any sense at all.
Typical leftist response; resort to insults and baseless accusations when faced with anything you disagree with. Why can't you just argue your position calmly without flinging poo?

And seriously, do you really not understand that the politicians behind this whole thing are basically saying, "LOOK HOW PROGRESSIVE AND TOLERANT WE ARE!" which simultaneously makes the people opposing it (for reasons probably unrelated to believing all Muslims are terrorists) look like colossal intolerant jackasses.

All because they're a just little concerned that building a palatial, ridiculously ornate and expensive mosque two blocks from where a shitload of people were murdered by Islamic extremists just might piss off families and loved ones of the victims.

I would think it's pretty obvious.

Quote:
Tea Party activists fund sign linking Obama to Hitler

I can already imagine what the majority of the Tea Baggers doing right now: Faceplaming and screaming "You Idiots! What were you thinking!?" at the guys who made that Sign.
The Tea Party already fucked themselves by associating with FOX News. This is just a symptom of that.

It's very frustrating to me. I know some Tea Party people and they're sensible, level-headed citizens who just hate taxes, and who the hell doesn't? They certainly aren't raving, frothing-at-the-mouth Glenn Beck fanatics, which is what most of the world seems to think the Tea Party is. And the worst part is, for the most part this image is the truth.

I really wish these groups of morons would stop associating my political beliefs with drooling insanity.
Old 2010-07-17, 13:35   Link #8256
Joojoobees

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
And seriously, do you really not understand that the politicians behind this whole thing are basically saying, "LOOK HOW PROGRESSIVE AND TOLERANT WE ARE!" which simultaneously makes the people opposing it (for reasons probably unrelated to believing all Muslims are terrorists) look like colossal intolerant jackasses.
Do you really think this mosque is some plot devised by lefty politicians? Don't you think it is possible that there is an existing Muslim community in New York?

I searched for info about the organization behind the building of the mosque. I found this interview with the guy behind it all: http://www.asmasociety.org/home/p_press_14.html It says he became the head of a mosque "12 blocks north of the World Trade Center" in 1983. According to the article, he has denounced Islamic violence on any number of occasions. Rather than being a plot by lefty politicians to trick right-wing folks into looking like "colossal intolerant jackasses", the initiative seems to be two-fold: 1) serve the spiritual needs of an existing Muslim community, 2) strengthen the voices of "moderates" in the Islamic community, who preach against violence, and for rapprochement with America.

Just to be clear, I don't live in New York, so I really don't care what the people there choose to build. I don't have a dog in that fight.
Old 2010-07-17, 13:44   Link #8257
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic

NEEEEOOOOORRRRRMMM

Completely Missing the Point

I am not talking about the mosque. I could give a shit about the mosque, other than their chosen location. Otherwise I do not even give a flying rat's ass.

I care about how politicians are latching onto/showing support for this idea as a way to a) make themselves look more "tolerant" and/or "progressive" and b) a not-so-subtle Take That at the (typically right-wing) politicians who are opposing the idea.

Now if there's no more confusion (or possibly intentional misconception) about what I'm getting at, let's move on to a better topic.

How about this one? (original article here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38263228/)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSNBC

Apple gives free bumpers to all iPhone 4 owners
Customers get a free case and an apology, but no hardware fix

by Wilson Rothman

Today, as expected, Steve Jobs announced that Apple would offer free rubber "bumpers" to anyone who bought an iPhone 4 in order to fix the problem caused by the antenna's design flaw. However, Jobs did not promise a hardware fix which would alleviate the problem without marring the phone's aesthetic.

"We're not perfect," Jobs told reporters. "Phones aren't perfect either," adding, "but we want to make all of our users happy."

The free offer is available through Sept. 30, and a full refund will be issued to those who already bought the $29 case. The deal will appear on Apple's website "late next week," and if the supply of bumpers runs out, Apple will offer "a choice of cases," presumably all in the $29-or-less price range.

"It's very hard to escape the conclusion that there is a problem," Jobs said, "but that problem is affecting a very small percentage of our users."

During the Q&A period following the press conference, Jobs did offer an apology to customers: "To our customers who are affected by the issue, we are deeply sorry," adding, "To those investors who bought the stock and are down by $5, I have no apology."

Apple opened the event with a jab at the media's overreaction to the antenna issue, playing a video of Jonathan Mann's "The iPhone 4 Antenna Song," which includes the lyrics: "If you don't want an iPhone 4 don't buy it. If you bought one and you don't like it, bring it back ... but you know you won't."

Jobs announced that Apple had sold more than 3 million iPhone 4s in three weeks, and that it's been judged the No. 1 smart phone by many publications, including Consumer Reports, who had withheld a "recommended" rating because of the antenna issue.

Jobs also said that the problem itself had not caused an unusual upsurge in customer-support calls. He said that just 0.55 percent of iPhone 4 owners have called tech support, adding "historically ... this is not a large number."

According to AT&T's dropped-call analysis, the iPhone 4 dropped 1 percent more calls than its predecessor, the iPhone 3GS.

The antenna problem has plagued the iPhone 4 since the first days of its release. Though its impact on calling has perhaps been overdramatized, it is a demonstrable issue: Hold your hand too tightly around the bottom of the phone, and in many cases you will lose reception, and perhaps drop a call.

Yesterday, some speculated that Apple might offer a hardware repair , an invisible fix that Rodman & Renshaw analyst Ashok Kumar called "a rubber bumper on the inside."

This is the third time Apple has publicly addressed the antenna issue. The first time was on June 24, when a company statement said that this was a general problem that all phones experience, and that when using the iPhone 4, people should "avoid gripping it in the lower left corner in a way that covers both sides of the black strip in the metal band, or simply use one of many available cases."

Later, on July 2, when Apple, "surprised" to learn of these problems, attributed the flaw to a software issue, wherein the cellular reception bars displayed more signal than was actually available. "the formula we use to calculate how many bars of signal strength to display is totally wrong."

The firmware update, which came out yesterday, recalibrated the reception bars to better represent actual cellular coverage, but most agree this did nothing to mollify actual reception loss.
Is Steve-o physically incapable of saying, "I fucked up, I'm sorry?" The whole time he was delivering the "apology" it looked like he was in physical pain!

What a tool.
Old 2010-07-17, 14:33   Link #8258
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joojoobees View Post
Incidentally, there is a new movie out by Oliver Stone that is largely about USA/Venezuela relations (and the way Venezuela is represented in the media).
http://southoftheborderdoc.com/
It isn't being shown in any theaters in this part of the country, so I can't see it.
did Stone get into the Shutdown of opposition media, the setting up a separate office after the opposition won Mayor in major cities? and how did Stone comment on the getting rid of terms limits by Chavez?
Old 2010-07-17, 15:07   Link #8259
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
[I]I am not talking about the mosque. I could give a shit about the mosque, other than their chosen location. Otherwise I do not even give a flying rat's ass.
I've got a serious question here. Since the Mosque isn't actually on the site of ground zero, how far does it have to be away for people to be happy? From what I can see of this image, it's not like the property is in direct line of sight with ground zero.

Should Muslims not be allowed to build a Mosque anywhere in lower Manhattan?
Old 2010-07-17, 16:26   Link #8260
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Should Muslims not be allowed to build a Mosque anywhere in lower Manhattan?
And, if they were forbidden from doing so, I'd be the first to speak up in favor of their rights under the First Amendment. Suppose there were a piece of land available on which a religious structure might be built. It would be blatantly unconstitutional to permit the construction of a Christian church there, but forbid the construction of a mosque or synagogue.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international