AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Visual Novels, Mobage & Anime Spin-Off Games

Notices

Old 2016-06-30, 23:18   Link #1
Kafriel
Senior Guest

[iOS/Android] Final Fantasy: Brave Exvius

official site

So, apparently, this is now a thing! I found out about this game yesterday, it is at its most early stage right now - and offering a good deal of free stuff for half a month or so.

The story

This is basically the SQUEE version of a collector's game: you play as Rain and Laswell, two knights who run into a girl encased in crystal, Fina. She warns them that the balance of the world is in trouble (surprise!) and they head off to the earth shrine (even more surprise!), where an evil knight, Veritas, manages to overpower them and break the earth crystal, wreaking havoc on the planet. Afterwards, Fina grants the two knights the power of visions, effectively making them able to summon phantoms of ancient heroes to aid them in battle.

I know, it all sounds very familiar, but it has a certain charm about it...

Gameplay overview

The battle is turn-based, with you owning a party of 5+1 members, the sixth being a friend you bring along. Characters are drawn at random (the visions from the Farplane) and you can get all kinds of characters. T1s are generic FF BE grunts reminiscent of Tactics recruits, T2+ are known FF characters, both good and villains (I befriended a Garland). You spend friend points for regular summons, and Lapis, the game's $ currency, for rare summons (T3+).

Specifics

Exploration: there are two kinds of exploring to do in this game. One is exploring towns, where you go around collecting side quests and trading at the shops, while the second one is exploring dungeons, with a notoriously high encounter rate, treasure chests, materials and a boss at the very end. There are secret passages in both; the movement is a bit clunky, especially around corners, but at least the game supports diagonal movement.

Story questing:most maps have 3 stages which you have to beat in order to unlock their exploration mode. Each stage has 4 fights, with the final one being a boss battle. The story unfolds in bits and pieces before every battle the first time you go through them; most of it, however, is told in towns via event cutscenes.

Energy: dungeon crawling costs energy. This is a mobile game, what did you expect? NRG is replenished on every level up as a bonus; you also recover 1 NRG every five minutes.

Awakening: when a unit hits their level cap, they can be awakened to further push those limits. Awakening costs a set of particular items which can be found either at dungeons or at the vortex world. The current cap is T5 for some of the strongest units; mid-tier ones cap at T4, while low-tier units cannot awaken beyond T3. A T6 version of certain units will be released in the future. Every tier adds an extra 20 levels to a unit, along with some skills. When a unit is awakened, they level down to 1 with higher base stats and have to hit the new cap before awakening any further.

Vortex world: Once per day, you can open up a portal from the Farplane to enter a realm of treasures. The rest of them are locked down until server reset (0:00 GMT) and the one you enter yields a special bonus, of the following: crafting materials, awakening materials, exp, gil. A special world may be open at times as an event during weekends.

Attack chains: By timing your attacks properly, you can start off a combo. There are two types of attack chains, normal and elemental. Basic attacks are easier to chain, but yield less limit power, unless the units attack more than once, in which case they are better for building up limit breaks, while elemental spikes hit a lot harder only once, but cost MP and are, as such, limited and best reserved for bosses. Boss fights can be deceptively hard, do not let the prior 3 battles determine a dungeon's difficulty.

Limit breaks: every character has a special move they can use when their limit bar fills up. The more you use a limit break, the stronger it becomes, till LV15.

Enhance: you can scrap trivial visions and fuse them into your mighty party in order to increase their power (as in, get an exp boost, not actual stats).

Trust mastery: when you fuse the same vision into another version of itself, its trust percentage rises. Upon reaching 100%, your unit learns a unique ability; Meteor for Galuf, Thundaga for Krile, Holy for Exdeath, etc. You may also unlock unique gear like the Excalibur from Cecil, along with other weapons from various visions. So far I've only experimented on Maria, who gains 5% per copy, so that's 20 copies necessary for a normal T3. Trust mastery also has a small chance of increasing by 0.1% for a single unit after a dungeon fight.

Espers: once you defeat them in combat, you can wield the power of an esper, in a very FF8-like fashion; you equip them for stat bonuses, summon them in battle when their gauge is full and teach them extra abilities to help out the junctioned character. Espers level up via magicite. Although you can feed any type to any esper, they gain exp x1.5 when using magicite corresponding to their color [Siren-blue, Ifrit-red, Golem-orange, Shiva-purple].

The Farplane:oddly enough, King Mog resides here. If you value your little life, DO NOT awaken the spirit of the blade, as the silver dragon has 55k HP despite being "LV25".

Summoning: you can summon visions from beyond the stars to fight by your side. In order to do so, you must spend 200 FP, a rare summoning ticket, or Lapis. You can find the same character on a different Tier, e.g. a T3 Shantotto or a T4 one. Their most obvious difference is their limit break (T4s get stronger ones), their stat growth should differ a bit as well. Here's a list of unit rankings if you want to check their endgame stats, growth and abilities.

Crafting:although you can buy your equipment and magic, it is cheaper to craft them, using enemy drops and quest rewards, provided you have the recipe for them. Of course, you are limited by crafting slots and timers. Items, materials, abilities and equipment all have a limit of 50. You can expand your inventory limit for each one of them separately by using up 100 Lapis for 5 slots.

Friends: you have a maximum number of friends you can have registered. Every one of them can give a few gil to each other as a gift every day and, of course, help in battles. After assisting, they will be on a cooldown before becoming available again. Every fight with one of your friends yields 10 FP - with 200 FP, you can summon a single vision, i.e. draw a random unit. It is possible to get carried hard, so pick wisely.

Colosseum: this feature unlocks once you reach Grandsheldt; you basically fight monsters in an arena, like in FF7. You start off at beginner rank D-1 and proceed upwards for every 10 battles you win. Each battle costs an orb. You have a maximum of 3 orbs and recover one per hour.

Daily quests: forging, exploring, interacting with friends, winning at the arena etc. all give small bonuses every day. If you get them all, you are rewarded with 50 Lapis. They also replenish a lot of your NRG.

Lapis: when your gacha skills need a boost, or you can't wait for timers and such, paying up to bypass the game's limitations is always an option. Oh, there's also a special kind of treasure chest that is locked. Guess what you need to open it...keys that you buy in the cash shop! You may also craft said keys with a few rare items, but the shop is much more available. There aren't many offers around, which is probably why the exchange rate is 120 Lapis/€.

I've just started out, if anyone wants to add me, my ign is Dyne [ID 539,987,858].

Last edited by Kafriel; 2016-07-30 at 23:53.
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-01, 00:22   Link #2
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

I had tried FF recorder keeper for awhile with it's standard ATB combat (-mp) but been gradually losing interest in it for months on end now, meanwhile this Final Fantasy sounds a bit more interesting since recorder keeper as a habit of pushing certain popular characters to be the best balance wise (my friend calls it FF cloud/squall/lightning keeper ) and it gets tiring. And graphics seem better. I'll give it a try later.
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-01, 00:27   Link #3
Kafriel
Senior Guest

It is fun to play, at least when the party is at the same level as the monsters you're fighting, otherwise it's an epic steamroll that encourages auto-combat (yes, that exists here too). As an online game, its grind bar is set pretty high; limit breaks need 300 uses to reach LV2, and that's only for T3 characters (T4 ones need 700+). All characters seem balanced, although there are special units, like Biggs, Wedge and Terra in magitek armour, the way you see them at the beginning of FFVI...at least I assume they're special, because they have no trust mastery, so they're probably limited.
Old 2016-07-01, 00:37   Link #4
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
It is fun to play, at least when the party is at the same level as the monsters you're fighting, otherwise it's an epic steamroll that encourages auto-combat (yes, that exists here too). As an online game, its grind bar is set pretty high; limit breaks need 300 uses to reach LV2, and that's only for T3 characters (T4 ones need 700+). All characters seem balanced, although there are special units, like Biggs, Wedge and Terra in magitek armour, the way you see them at the beginning of FFVI...at least I assume they're special, because they have no trust mastery, so they're probably limited.
That's good to hear, in RK get limit breaks were limited by item & certain characters basically always got the newest tier items first & the highest level caps first, which fairly large gaps in power between highest tier items & previous tier...
MAL
Kotohono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-01, 05:37   Link #5
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Veritas? So you're fighting "truth"?
Old 2016-07-01, 07:22   Link #6
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Well, his name is Veritas of the Dark, so yeah. You're not really fighting though, more like coming too late/getting owned. The game draws heavily on FF 2/4/6 from what I've seen so far, with lots of magicite/esper references, the whole crystal mess with a mysterious figure behind it and the infinite dungeon crawling.

OP updated.

Quote:
That's good to hear, in RK get limit breaks were limited by item & certain characters basically always got the newest tier items first & the highest level caps first, which fairly large gaps in power between highest tier items & previous tier...
The game really does balance out. So far, the only units I strongly recommend are a versatile magician like Shantotto and a white mage like Maria. Dancers can be very useful too (yes, even Penelo), because at higher levels when the battles drag on for a few rounds, their utility can be put to good use.

Last edited by Kafriel; 2016-07-02 at 14:01.
Old 2016-07-09, 04:09   Link #7
Kafriel
Senior Guest

The new additions event has begun since yesterday. After spending 5k lapis for 11 tickets, I actually pulled Golbez, Kefka, Bartz and Chizuru with 7 of them! Chizuru is even at 5 stars already, talk about a great success

After playing for a week, I've advanced to ~30% of the story (as I see it). The energy costs to enter maps gets higher, the maps start having more stages in them and progress does indeed get slower, especially if you're hellbent on doing the side-quests. While some quests are fun and interesting, there are some that require procuring materials that you only have a chance of obtaining through exploration maps, or killing rare monsters that appear roughly once every four attempts at certain maps. Besides being tedious, these quests also drain a LOT of energy, leaving you behind in terms of game completion and party strengthening.

The one thing I didn't regret was hitting the earth shrine over and over for 1 NRG in order to farm 1500 FP from friend invites :P

Colosseum gets hard from the A-3 boss onwards. TONS of dmg and health, lots of CC.

Last edited by Kafriel; 2016-07-12 at 07:42.
Old 2016-07-13, 11:09   Link #8
LowCholesterol
Teacher : The Awakening

how much is the game data size? gonna download it via mobile data if it isn't too big, or via wifi if it's big

FGO ID : 261,201,342. IGN: Manfred
FGO wishlist : i didn't wish anything but a better gacha rate & luck
LowCholesterol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-14, 04:22   Link #9
Kafriel
Senior Guest

You'll be needing WiFi, I got 431 MB in it - however, a good lot of it is the towns and exploration maps, which you download before playing, so as to have quick access to them henceforth.
Old 2016-07-15, 08:23   Link #10
LowCholesterol
Teacher : The Awakening

is there any option to download the entire data? it'll be simpler.

btw, can we exchange our friend id?

edit : nvm, i'll add you once i'm on, ign is Altera

FGO ID : 261,201,342. IGN: Manfred
FGO wishlist : i didn't wish anything but a better gacha rate & luck

Last edited by LowCholesterol; 2016-07-15 at 19:37.
LowCholesterol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-18, 15:49   Link #11
Kafriel
Senior Guest

My friend list may have been full, I've posted my ID in the OP. Your phone keeps the data stored in cache until deletion, but you still have to download it first.

I broke through to intermediate colosseum, the boss fights are getting much harder...I think I'm done with the story, at least as far as it has been implemented in the game. Currently farming magicite for my espers...it's progressing slowly.

Tags
final fantasy, mobile game