AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2008-01-15, 23:54   Link #1121
kujoe
from head to heel

A white one? Isn't that a JP model? (Well, it hardly matters anyway since PS3 games aren't region-coded.)

I actually wish we have more color options.
kujoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-16, 01:46   Link #1122
ramune

So any words on when the DualShock 3 is gonna be released in the US? I kinda want it before DMC4 comes out. Or maybe I'll just import it...

On the issue of backward compatibility, it sucks for Sony removing it from the Japanese PS3's also. I was planning to get a Japanese PS3 in the distant future so I could play my Japanese FFX on it.
ramune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-16, 03:06   Link #1123
Jays

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramune View Post
So any words on when the DualShock 3 is gonna be released in the US? I kinda want it before DMC4 comes out. Or maybe I'll just import it...

On the issue of backward compatibility, it sucks for Sony removing it from the Japanese PS3's also. I was planning to get a Japanese PS3 in the distant future so I could play my Japanese FFX on it.
I've heard between March to May. I just imported one from Japan thanks to Play-Asia, was pretty expensive, around 70 dollars or so. I wonder how much dutty I'm gonna have to pay on it. :@
Jays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-16, 03:09   Link #1124
Papaya
Sup

Send a message via AIM to Papaya Send a message via MSN to Papaya
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramune View Post

IIRC, and correct me if I'm wrong, but PS3's aren't region locked--it's the Blu-Ray discs that are, and I think you can set your PS3 to whatever region you want to in the settings.

Not that it has any bearing on BC though =P

As for the DS3, I believe the only "date" given is Spring 2008. Of course, if you're not a sticker for first-party products, there are *already* third-party DS3 knockoffs... ahem, alternatives, on the market. Considering the price of current-gen controllers (50-60 bucks), it really may not be a bad idea to pick one up.
Papaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-16, 05:29   Link #1125
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

PS3 isn't region locked for PS3 content only.

Anything else is still region locked, including Blu-Ray, DVD, PS2 and PS1 content. You can not specify a region for Blu-Ray. So:

- US PS3 will play any PS3 content, but only play region A BD, region 1 DVD, US PS2 and US PS1 games.
- Japanese PS3 will play any PS3 content, but only play region A BD, region 2 (NTSC) DVD, Japanese PS2 and Japanese PS1.
- European PS3 will play any PS3 content, but only play region B BD, region 2 (PAL) DVD, European PS2 and European PS1 games.

(actual PS2 compatibility depends on model as I explained earlier)
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-16, 10:08   Link #1126
Zoe

Perhaps he's confusing the fact that most BD movies aren't region-locked anyway (only Fox is consistently so).
Zoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-16, 13:30   Link #1127
kujoe
from head to heel

That's what I heard too. Region codes aren't enforced on BD movies. It's all up to the studio to decide. Well, not sure about that, but another thing to consider is that region codes for BD aren't the same as that of DVD movies.

For example US and Japan, along with South Korea and SE Asia, have the same region code (region A). Now for those would like to watch their Asian films in HD, that makes things a hell lot simpler.
Old 2008-01-16, 15:53   Link #1128
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoe View Post
A white one? Isn't that a JP model? (Well, it hardly matters anyway since PS3 games aren't region-coded.)

I actually wish we have more color options.

I believe the White PS3 is not only limited to JP but is also released as an Asian model. Mine was released in Hong Kong -- I'm now in China so I had to get it from over there. It is pretty damn sexy but Beijing is unbelievably dusty; I am really worried about the innards of the PS3 accumulating dust but I'll clear it out some other time.

I also have a White DS3 controller which I got for ~50 US, and it works beautifully. What's awful is that I also have a packed in Sixaxis but oh well.

For multiple reasons my PS3 is also unconnected to the internet now; I can't wait till I get a connection for it..
arias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-17, 04:12   Link #1129
Lebron
I hear voices

Anyone having problems playing GT HD? I downloaded it earlier today, but somehow can't get it to play. It'll get to the PD logo then it just goes black which will lead to me having to quit the game. Only seems to do that with that particular demo.

Also, I believe the DMC4 demo is going to be released on Jan 31st for PSN/XBL. Kind of pointless with the retail game releasing a few days later, but whatever, I'll take it.
Lebron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-26, 13:01   Link #1130
Sides

Wow, just joined the club and proud owner of a jpn ps3 ^^. Anyone else playiong DMC4 demo?
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-26, 16:43   Link #1131
Spitfire
Mr. Bushido

I've had a PS3 for almost a year now...and in all honesty...I regret buying it. It was a total waste of money at this time. I myself prefer the 360, mainly because all my friends have one, so I can play online with them (and I prefer the games for 360 more at the moment), and for me, there are almost no games worth buying right now. The only one I actually like is the latest Ratchet and Clank game (which owns I might add)

But really, thats sad. I really hope they start releasing some more games I can get into soon, otherwise my PS3 is just going to sit on the shelf and collect dust, even more so than it already has.
Old 2008-01-26, 18:50   Link #1132
arias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I've had a PS3 for almost a year now...and in all honesty...I regret buying it. It was a total waste of money at this time. I myself prefer the 360, mainly because all my friends have one, so I can play online with them (and I prefer the games for 360 more at the moment), and for me, there are almost no games worth buying right now. The only one I actually like is the latest Ratchet and Clank game (which owns I might add)
Patience, kid. The 360 was similarly shite in its first year, and came into stride this year (which is its second year). The PS3 has a couple of gems including Uncharted, Warhawk and Resistance. The PSN is also offering quite a good bit (Everyday Shooter, Pixel Junk Monsters, Super Stardust HD etc).
Old 2008-01-26, 20:22   Link #1133
Spitfire
Mr. Bushido

Quote:
Originally Posted by arias View Post
Patience, kid. The 360 was similarly shite in its first year, and came into stride this year (which is its second year). The PS3 has a couple of gems including Uncharted, Warhawk and Resistance. The PSN is also offering quite a good bit (Everyday Shooter, Pixel Junk Monsters, Super Stardust HD etc).
Resistance sucked and Warhawk doesn't interest me very much. I do think Uncharted looks pretty good, and I have no interest in any of those PSN games.

Right now, the only games that can make the PS3 worthwhile for me are the rumoured Zone of the Enders 3 and MGS4. And thats not a lot really.
Old 2008-01-26, 20:35   Link #1134
arias

Quote:
Resistance sucked and Warhawk doesn't interest me very much. I do think Uncharted looks pretty good, and I have no interest in any of those PSN games.

Right now, the only games that can make the PS3 worthwhile for me are the rumoured Zone of the Enders 3 and MGS4. And thats not a lot really.
Then sell the system and stop whining.
Old 2008-01-26, 20:50   Link #1135
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

Or get UT3 or Call Of Duty 4
Old 2008-01-26, 21:07   Link #1136
Spitfire
Mr. Bushido

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Lycans View Post
Or get UT3 or Call Of Duty 4
I have UT3...on the PC, where it is far superior. And I'm not a big COD fan, anyway.

And why would I sell my system? I said there are games I want that haven't yet come out yet, so it would be a waste for me to sell it now.

And in all honesty, FPS games suck on the PS3, or any sony console for that matter. If I'm gonna get an FPS, its gonna be on either my PC or the 360.
Old 2008-01-26, 22:04   Link #1137
Aka
Green Trees
*Artist

Thumbs down

Quote:
And in all honesty, FPS games suck on the PS3, or any sony console for that matter. If I'm gonna get an FPS, its gonna be on either my PC or the 360.
By your opinion that is? I find the PlayStation 3 Controller more comfortable than the Xbox 360/Pc.
Aka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-01-26, 23:23   Link #1138
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Quote:
I have UT3...on the PC, where it is far superior. And I'm not a big COD fan, anyway.

And why would I sell my system? I said there are games I want that haven't yet come out yet, so it would be a waste for me to sell it now.

Ur really missing out on CoD4, its just too awesome.

have to say that any FPS is best when played with mouse and key.

Some games do come across as aload of crap compared to their console counterpart but thats down to it being most likely a simple port which never really works then. I hate games that are simple ports, they should really make it work in there own way for each platform.

what I'm looking forward to is Home, GTA4, MGS4, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed and surprisingly the new Tomb Raider
Old 2008-01-27, 00:18   Link #1139
kujoe
from head to heel

I've been wondering about this. Why do people say that FPS games are better on the 360? If you're referring to Live support, then I can understand the sentiment since the PSN still has a long way to go. But in my experience, FPS games feel better on a PC, and control pads (for any console) simply can't match the level of control a keyboard and a mouse offer—at least as far as this genre is concerned.

Then again, PC snobbery can only go so far when you take into account the requirements of newer games. I hope UT3 on the PS3 having keyboard and mouse support will turn into a trend of better things to come. However, it feels as if everything in the PC and the 360 is a shooter nowadays, so I actually find myself playing less.
Old 2008-01-27, 00:27   Link #1140
mcruz1014
Eye Have You

Send a message via Yahoo to mcruz1014
I actually find the ps3 more comfortable for fps games than the 360 as well. Having owned Call of Duty 4 on both systems, I find the ps3 controller actually suits it better. But thats merely my preference.

As far as the ps3 overall, I think there are a lot of reasons to be excited to be a ps3 owner in 2008. Ps Home shows a lot of promise as far as making the playstation network a more enjoyable experience. There are also great exclusive titles coming out like LittleBigPlanet, Gran Turismo 5, Final Fantasy XIII, Tekken 6, Killzone 2, Resistance 2, and lest we forget, the biggest one of them all, Metal Gear Solid 4.
mcruz1014 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
console, ps3, sony