AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-09-04, 21:31   Link #41
4Tran

Even if there wasn't any official announcement, everyone knows that Atlus is working on Persona 5 right now. We even know details like the fact that the game is going to use a new internal engine.

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/08/30...ite-some-time/
Old 2013-09-05, 16:49   Link #42
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Even if there wasn't any official announcement, everyone knows that Atlus is working on Persona 5 right now. We even know details like the fact that the game is going to use a new internal engine.

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/08/30...ite-some-time/
Damn... My mind is going "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!" at Atlus right about now. I just finished P4: Golden recently and am on a major Persona withdrawal. They could at least announce a western release for the Persona 4: Arena sequel. That would be enough to tide me over for a bit
Old 2013-09-17, 22:24   Link #43
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

Sega buys Atlus

I don't know what to feel

Frailty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-17, 22:29   Link #44
Rias

I know what to feel. More of your favorite Atlus titles going to pachislot or social games.
Old 2013-09-17, 22:30   Link #45
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

I don't feel nearly as disappointed by this announcement as others seem to be.
Old 2013-09-17, 22:33   Link #46
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frailty View Post
Sega buys Atlus

Eh, I should probably point this out.

It was not Sega Corporation, the games publisher currently in financial woes, who purchased Atlus.

It was their parent company Sega Sammy, who are very well off from all those pachislot machines printing money for them, that purchased Atlus.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-17, 23:05   Link #47
4Tran

It should be noted that it's not Sega buying Atlus; it's Sega's holding company, Sega Sammy buying Index. What this means is that whatever is going on with Sega may not have any impact on Atlus.

Atlus has been profitable so there's a decent chance that Sega Sammy would leave them alone rather than fold them into Sega. Potentially, this can mean good things for some fans since while Atlus has no presence in Europe, Sega can handle localizations in that region. On the flip side, it probably means that NISA won't get any more Atlus games.
Old 2013-09-17, 23:24   Link #48
Rias

I can't remember if it was NISA or Sega that likes to take their translations to an extreme.

In VP1, when you face the last boss. I don't remember word-for-word, but it was something close to:

Original version: "I must praise you for getting this far."
English version: "You bastards you have messed up all my plans."
Old 2013-09-17, 23:36   Link #49
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

So far I don't remember what Sega did that make people feel that much uneasy about the buy out.
Old 2013-09-17, 23:54   Link #50
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Depending on how far along SMTxFE is, it may be the last handheld SMT before the franchise is annexed to mobile. Mobile is making a killing in East Asia and the nature of SMT lends itself well to a mobile card trading/battling format.

If in the coming months we get news that many of the senior staff get reassigned to mobile, well, then we should panic.
fict_ticious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-18, 00:01   Link #51
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by fict_ticious View Post
Depending on how far along SMTxFE is, it may be the last handheld SMT before the franchise is annexed to mobile. Mobile is making a killing in East Asia and the nature of SMT lends itself well to a mobile card trading/battling format.

If in the coming months we get news that many of the senior staff get reassigned to mobile, well, then we should panic.
... SMTxFE is a home console title for Wii U, not a handheld title.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-18, 00:49   Link #52
Rias

Sega has now posted that they did not release the news regarding the merger/buyout.

However, stating that they did not release the news is not the same as denying the merger/buyout.
Old 2013-09-18, 01:04   Link #53
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Quote:
Sega buys Atlus

Better than Sony, BandaiNamco, Konami, and Square Enix, at the least.

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-18, 01:04   Link #54
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokkan View Post
... SMTxFE is a home console title for Wii U, not a handheld title.
In addition to that, I doubt there is any developer in Japan who would say no to Nintendo money.

But on the subject of the news itself, I'm mixed. On one hand, it's great that someone in the industry is buying the company as opposed to some vulture investor. On the other hand, Sega's output isn't what it used to be. As a gaming company, they're barely a shell of their former glory days. At least for now we don't have to worry about the gamer rage of Atlus going strictly to one console.
Old 2013-09-18, 01:55   Link #55
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Send a message via MSN to SOGESNAKE
Quote:
Sega buys Atlus

Y'know... this isn't the worst thing that could've happened. Like... odds are the worst we'll see is less tuff being localized.... like Growlanser, or smaller titles like Hexys Force (as much as I loved it) not being brought over.
Old 2013-09-18, 02:04   Link #56
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
So far I don't remember what Sega did that make people feel that much uneasy about the buy out.
I think saying Valkyria Chronicles should be enough to show tell you what Sega did to upset fans

I personally like to remember that Sega brought Project Diva F to the west and recently released what's probably the best Mario Kart competitor since Crash Team Racing on the original ps1.
Old 2013-09-18, 02:19   Link #57
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

Hopefully Sega Sammy would allow Atlus to stay independent in their publishing business.
As long as this happens, I am certain Atlus' future is bright.
shmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-18, 02:39   Link #58
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Hmmm, I feel Sega Sammy was the 'safe' choice. While the number of games that they can 'convert' (like for example maybe having Atlus do old-school Shining, Phantasy, Sakura Wars, or maybe even another Valkyria title?) or crossovers isn't as much as the other companies (I personally wanted Konami to get them for the small chance that Suikoden gets a ressurection)... I feel that there really isn't much in common Sega Corp has with Atlus that warrants Sega Sammy merging Atlus's game making/publishing efforts into Sega Corp.

Like for example, what does Atlus bring to the table for the Yakuza franchise? Or Viruta Fighter? Sonic? I just can't (or maybe I just don't want to) imagine that they'd change up how a company is run when it's still making money. I just hope they think that if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-18, 08:10   Link #59
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Well this certainly isn't the worst case scenario. It's maybe not clearly a win scenario, but it could be. If they just leave Atlus to their own devices then things will work out alright. Just something we're going to have to wait and see with.

Does seem possible they will just see that Atlus is plenty profitable as is and won't really want to interfere much with what they are doing. Does seem like they wouldn't really need to merge them. Not like Atlus can really contribute much to the next Sonic game.

Crossing my fingers this will work out fine and Atlus can continue delivering the great games we love to play.
Old 2013-09-18, 08:14   Link #60
Duo Maxwell
A Proud Lolicon

You know, Sega could just leave every of their small games in the hand of Atlus localization. That'd be the best case scenario that could happen.

I'd say just keep calm and wait.