AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-01-07, 16:44   Link #201
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassingby View Post
I was planning to wait for more characters and the mechanics section to appear, but eh? Are the staffs themselves are less enthusiast about this show? Or they're "We've waited long enough, we can still wait some more"?

But here goes. From the anime Characters page (My literal + liberal translation, not official)

Spoiler for Characters:

Oh lordy, imgur file name for Chiaki
Looking forward for OP and ED songs, and their sequence. Here hoping for "歩く系" or "走る系"

Also, have some illustrations from the LN author, Matsumoto Noriyuki.

Edit: I couldn't stream it, but judging by the caps at 2chan, the ED is "歩く系", just like Rinne
Thank you for the rundown of the characters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
I'm glad to know my expectations of this show was correct. A great sci-fi anime and a tribute to old space opera animes.

I got hooked with the 1st episode, the characters are interesting and the story has potential. Can't wait for next week!
Awesome, was totally looking forward to it for this. Can't wait to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
A slow start, but the series is supposed to be 26 episodes so they can afford to have actual exposition instead of jumping straight into the action.

I'm guessing the letters of marque are the only things keeping the war from officially ending and the governments on both sides are trying to stop Marika from becoming the new captain.

The subs said Marika's the captain's only daughter -- is that a clue?
So freaking glad this is getting a full 26 so it can be a bigger story and adventure and they can build the scifi setting like this.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 16:51   Link #202
Dark Wing

It was everything I expected and them some!

OP and ED was amazing!
Old 2012-01-07, 17:17   Link #203
xizro345
King's Justice

Ever since its announcement I was interested and the first episode delivered completely for me. As long as Sato doesn't lay a single hand on the script I think it'll be fine.
xizro345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 18:43   Link #204
ShiroiRyu

Fuck yeah OP and ED !
For the story, so good !
When the full OP/ED please ? (because it's the same group)
Old 2012-01-07, 19:33   Link #205
00Coyote

I can't comment too much on this show yet, it seems interesting, with some pleasant character design, loving the MC long spiky hair. I wasn't expecting too much, but it was entertaining.
00Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 20:37   Link #206
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
That was quite fun.There is definatly a bit of an oldschool feel to it.

My brain tells me I should be hating all the CG but yet for some reason it works,I really like the show's looks.

I also really liked the main character and I feel that's strongly due to Komatsu Mikako's performance, first time I hear her.

Definatly looking forward to more
Old 2012-01-07, 21:25   Link #207
Dark Wing

Quote:
I'm already seeing people saying how boring this episode and this series going to be. Good for me then :P
Agreed man kids these days...The same stuff that happened with Horizon too always with action should be right out the gates stuff...I mean why can't they all just let the story build.

Yea let them chock on their words with the plot really kicks in...
Old 2012-01-07, 21:29   Link #208
DangerMouse

That was a lot of fun.

Oh man you guys were right with early feedback on the ep, this felt like exactly what I've been missing and hoping it would be, that bit of oldschool but updated, big scifi action adventure show with top notch modern visuals, we haven't even gotten to space yet and I was locked in by the natural pacing and nicely realized scifi setting and tech for the setting and quickly likeable characters. Marika pulled off being the MC quite well in the premiere and I love her design.

Really loved the music track that opened the episode! Nice supporting background music for the light stuff, loved the bits of more noticeable music throughout and towards the end, can't wait to hear the bigger tracks as we go forward. Like ShioiRyu, really got into the up-beat OP/ED.

Spoiler:

Man I miss shows like this.

This (obviously potentially since we'll see once they get into space and get the real space action but with how like-ably they handled one of the hardest parts I'm quite hopeful) and Last Exile: GnF have finally delivered the action adventures we used to get a lot more often, feels great getting two of these in back-to-back seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by philip72 View Post
Wow! was the dub for Mustangs voice ever ugly, maybe I won't buy the series after all..
Hmmm...I'll just let that one pass for crazy talk or that you're someone who never saw more of FMA in dubbed form since english dubbed Mustang is badass.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2012-01-08 at 02:01.
Old 2012-01-07, 21:29   Link #209
Midonin
Last Engage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Wing View Post
This isn't a competition. I'm not really sure how you can be "right" in watching a show.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 21:33   Link #210
Saber Cherry
Marionette

I was not really sure what to expect, but came out very impressed. The character art reminds me of Full Metal Panic. I guess the overall feel is reminiscent of FMP and Nadesico, and I loved both of them. Eagerly awaiting episode 2!

Also... the transfer student, and her entrance, were very Madoka-ish.
Old 2012-01-07, 21:41   Link #211
Dark Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
This isn't a competition. I'm not really sure how you can be "right" in watching a show.
Maybe I am getting a little too worked up about all the complaining for what seems to be no other reason but to complain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber Cherry View Post

Seriously? I really don't know why people keep coming back to this one scene and comparing it to Madoka?

The mysterious transfer student plot device thing has been done to death in anime for decades...
Old 2012-01-07, 21:41   Link #212
DangerMouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber Cherry View Post
I was not really sure what to expect, but came out very impressed. The character art reminds me of Full Metal Panic. I guess the overall feel is reminiscent of FMP and Nadesico, and I loved both of them. Eagerly awaiting episode 2!

Yeah I liked it, I wonder if it was the sharpness of the designs. Director is the guy who directed Nadesico too according to the staff list, not surprised it definitely felt like a really skilled long time director did this, feels he's still got that oldschool scifi love.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2012-01-07 at 22:15.
Old 2012-01-07, 21:45   Link #213
justpassingby

Quote:
While I'm happy for your optimism, don't diss others for what they like/watch. Me myself won't probably be happy with the adapted parts when the staffs are done with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
The subs said Marika's the captain's only daughter -- is that a clue?
Clue for?
Spoiler:

And my my, did Black Beard reached the Fountain of Youth or something?
Spoiler:

Last edited by justpassingby; 2012-01-07 at 21:57.
justpassingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 21:53   Link #214
DangerMouse

justpassingby: Hmm, if I remember correctly haven't they already warned manga readers of changes?

Quote:
Agreed man kids these days...The same stuff that happened with Horizon too always with action should be right out the gates stuff...I mean why can't they all just let the story build.

Didn't really like Horizon so far (but I'll probably give it another go due to liking shows that kind of scale) with that lead and the ridiculous fanservicey designs getting in the way of the potentially great setting and large scale story since the storyline prior to it airing certainly had me with different expectations of the character art rather than fanservice fest but I totally agree with this. It's like if a show doesn't blow it's load spoiling every plot thread and type of action it's got within the first ep or fanservice all over the place... nothing's allowed to start from the beginning and build anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midonin View Post
That's true but still boring after one ep even with the obvious teases of action and things to come like in this ep in both the OP and towards the end of the ep and that preview (just look at the OP of this show and all the different space locations and big ship scenes), we've just scratched the surface of the big action adventure part.

Quote:
Clue for?
Spoiler:
LOL.

Spoiler:

Quote:
And my my, did Black Beard reached the Fountain of Youth or something?
Spoiler:
Cool design.

Last edited by DangerMouse; 2012-01-07 at 22:27.
Old 2012-01-07, 22:35   Link #215
Saber Cherry
Marionette

Quote:
Seriously? I really don't know why people keep coming back to this one scene and comparing it to Madoka?

The mysterious transfer student plot device thing has been done to death in anime for decades...
Must be the hair color Seriously though, the transfer student's demeanor (aside from when she ate dessert) and attitude toward the heroine (seemingly resentful yet protective at once) are very similar. Far more so than any other mysterious transfer student events I've watched.
Old 2012-01-07, 22:55   Link #216
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Clue for?
Spoiler:
Clue as in "only daughter" isn't the same as "only child." The way it was phrased in the episode left open the possibility that Marika has a brother who's being passed over for some reason, but from your description it sounds like an oversight in the script rather than a clue.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 23:25   Link #217
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Well, that wasn't much of a first episode, too much slow stuff and girls eating desserts that really falls under the cute girls doing cute things that I don't really want yet. It'd be better in the middle. Also, the OP is terribad.

Plusses included the BGM and no crappy fanservice despite the title. Oohh, tasteful?

However, it does have a kuudereish glasses chick voiced by KanaHana and that's enough to convince me to stay as they'll probably get into the action.

Episode 1 gets a 6/10; better than expected.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-07, 23:34   Link #218
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Well that was about as slow moving an opener as you can get, but ultimately pretty amusing, then again maybe that's just low expectations taking hold. Still the cast gives a good impression in the first episode by at least being likeable and amusing in their interactions and I kind of like the idea of piracy being a sort of legacy thing with Marika's mother being a legendary pirate hero and Marika being asked to follow in her footsteps. I could do without maid cafes and schools in my space pirate anime, but alas I'm well aware of the era we live in now and will probably have to be willing to make some concessions since this is after all based on a light novel.

Where I won't make a concession though is the opening. Hyadain should never be allowed to do another anime theme ever again because I swear to god they all just sound like horrendously off key noise and lack any rhythm and musicality. It's like Ali Projects second coming with this guy...just really atrociously awful...thankfully it can be skipped though.

Stand out character was probably Chiaki. Something about characters that are just so stoic and always seems to get some sort of grand entrance gets me chuckling. I can see Marika being a fun character in the future too with her sort of ditzy but earnest and energetic attitude that kind of reminds me of Noriko from Gunbuster!

Now what we need is for plot relevant stuff to start happening and consistently for about a month, which is something a lot of shows have struggled with of late I've found....especially ones based on light novels. Just start and keep up with the content, keep it amusing and fun and we'll have a nice little winter show on our hands. This first episode unfortunately doesn't give me the best of hopes that interesting stuff is going to start happening any time soon though. It's one thing to have a slow stretch after about a month, but too have a slow opener where almost nothing happens except some vague introductions to the back story...that's a warning bell that will have to be silenced in the follow up and quickly at that.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 00:02   Link #219
JaLooNz
Longtime Member

This seems to be a keeper for the new seasons. Quite refreshing to see a show with some plot potential in a long while, with the last being Space Pirate Cobra...
JaLooNz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-08, 00:45   Link #220
Silverwyrm

Went into this show clueless, like what I have seen so far. Looks like it will be fun!
Silverwyrm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light novel adaptation, science fiction, seinen, yuri