Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-09-17, 13:34   Link #21
cors8
Kuu-chan is hungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plun View Post
I'm curious to.

I stopped playing and collecting Yu-Gi-Oh when I was 12. I spend over thousands of dollars on the cards. Biggest mistake in my life.
I resorted to stealing to get my MTG cards. Luckily, never got caught.

Something to watch out for if you decide to cut him off financially.
Old 2008-09-17, 14:26   Link #22
agar07

Send a message via Yahoo to agar07
he's 16!!! smack the crap out of him, take your card back and tell your parents about the meth use.
Old 2008-09-17, 14:31   Link #23
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

I played the Pokemon TCG for like a year because I wanted to try out a TCG since everyone around me was playing it. I played one game with my friend and gave up right after that.

I could not for the life of me understand how this is fun. It costs upwards of $100 to make one possible winnable deck from the whole booster pack lottery, and that only if you know the cards to begin with, barring that probably costs twice to three times more for experimentation. Meanwhile, for every booster pack, half of it is useless common cards that you never use.

What was your kid brother crying about? Lack of shiny rares, losing, or what?
Old 2008-09-17, 14:57   Link #24
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Oh. My. Lord.

He is trying out crystal meth, and all you care about is his YuGiOh addiction? Worse yet, you only really care about getting certain cards back?! I really hope this whole thread is a joke to get a rise outta us.

Seriously, **** the YuGiOh 'problem'. Do you have any idea how bad meth is for a person, and how fast it can degrade a person's health if they become addicted? Stop worrying about the YuGiOh thing, and do all that you can to help with his dabbling in crystal meth. Seriously, before that becomes a major problem.
Old 2008-09-17, 15:06   Link #25
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Send a message via AIM to mxg Send a message via MSN to mxg Send a message via Yahoo to mxg
Guess i'm not a family man, my brother really means nothing to me he is like the baby of the family and get what he wants all the time, I'll probably tell them about the meth problem but what is that really going to do ? He will just bitch and moan till he gets his way.
Old 2008-09-17, 15:20   Link #26
cors8
Kuu-chan is hungry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxg View Post
Guess i'm not a family man, my brother really means nothing to me he is like the baby of the family and get what he wants all the time, I'll probably tell them about the meth problem but what is that really going to do ? He will just bitch and moan till he gets his way.
You don't let him get his way. Let him bitch and moan all he wants. A line has to be drawn somewhere other than the cemetery or prison.
Old 2008-09-17, 15:24   Link #27
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Hmmm, missed the "meth" problem announcement .... okay - YuGiOh is the least of his problems. He's 16???????? O.o, I thought we were talking about a child.

He could be totally screwed (and your family) if it appears he has an obsessive addictive personality in general. Meth is possibly one of the most stupid things to try outside of snorking gasoline and glue. Intervention is the mildest thing I can say.....
Old 2008-09-17, 15:25   Link #28
MidnightViper88
HI, BILLY MAYS HERE

Send a message via AIM to MidnightViper88
It's not the kids I worry about, but people like my co-worker David, who's of college age around 20, and still actively goes into Yu-Gi-Oh regional tournaments, and brags about winning money by beating a bunch of kids in a trading card game...And then he has other friends of around the same age that play the game too...

Jesus...Everytime I see a time-off request from him at work stating that he has to "go to a regional tournament", I feel like cramming it down his throat...
"I just want to lie in my own crusty filth, eating rancid egg sandwiches, until some unfortunate paramedic has to blow down my door to find my bloated and pasty corpse wedged between the nightstand and mattress stained with Bengay and Robitussin DM." - Greg Gutfeld on sex and seniors
"Syphilis does not stay in Vegas. Debt collectors do not stay in Vegas. Dead hookers stay in Vegas, but the guilt stays with you forever." - Bill Schultz
Old 2008-09-17, 15:49   Link #29
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'd say it looks like Tolkien's "coming of age for hobbits" at age 33 is becoming the norm for humans..... problem is that humans don't live 130+ years in a state of high functionality.

I'll hedge a bit on the David's gaming habit in the previous post since we've long had world Scrabble, Monopoly, and Chess tourneys (ad nauseum)... but otoh it does sound mostly like a bully's gambit on his part and makes me wonder why/if there aren't age categories for card tournaments.

Kind of odd to me that someone has to give a public reason for "time off" to begin with....
Old 2008-09-17, 16:26   Link #30
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
everyone with a drug addiction bitches and moans to get their way when someone important knows about it that is nothing new

if he's doing meth then yes tell your parents but dont aproach him about it straight away and direct forward, heck I would just kidnap him in the middle of the night and ditch him at a good rehab centre, like said above me yugioh is the least of your problems if he's into that kind of stuff let alone he's 16 and thus underage, hell call the cops on them when they are making meth, jail will surely set him straight

edit:

another thing, no matter how useless you think he is, he's still your brother you should atleased find soem worry in your heart for him. your family is the most important thing in the world and if you split ways you'll regret it later on. this doesn't mean you have to baby him or anything but it means you have to step up for him and yourself for his safety, you wouldn't want him to OD or anything would you
Old 2008-09-17, 16:30   Link #31
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

People like to collect. The obsession with young boys and collecting has existed for ages. Before card games, there was simply cards you collect (i.e sports cards), but you add a game on top of collecting you got yourself a money maker.

Theres no mystery behind it, its just a hobby.
Old 2008-09-17, 16:46   Link #32
Claies
Good-Natured Asshole.

So I also should learn2read and not miss the meth post.

Forget Yu-Gi-Oh. Unlike Yu-Gi-Oh, meth is not funny no matter how you put it. Tell your parents now, but also advise them not to go immediately screaming mad (because they would), and figure out a way to talk to your little brother.

I can understand you not caring about your little brother when it's about Yu-Gi-Oh, but meth actually kills. That you don't leave alone.

If your parents don't care either, well, you got a bigger problem.
Old 2008-09-17, 17:15   Link #33
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

meth... leads directly to personal disaster and disaster for all those around them. We're talking about an addiction that leads people to steal temple bells and sewer manhole covers, that leads them to steal pellmell from their family and then physically harm them if they interfere.

Large quantities of it are toxic disasters - where is he getting it from?
Meth is just a minefield of stupid on a huge scale -- he's better off doing weed and LSD than that stuff. I just really can't over-express the situation.
Old 2008-09-17, 17:28   Link #34
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
meth... leads directly to personal disaster and disaster for all those around them. We're talking about an addiction that leads people to steal temple bells and sewer manhole covers, that leads them to steal pellmell from their family and then physically harm them if they interfere.

Large quantities of it are toxic disasters - where is he getting it from?
Meth is just a minefield of stupid on a huge scale -- he's better off doing weed and LSD than that stuff. I just really can't over-express the situation.
let alone his face will look like crap after a couple of years, if you don't know much about meth go read into it and be prepared cause to get rid of an addiction like that you'll need all the courage let alone patience you need, your brother will need you on this one no matter how annoying he may be right now, remember someone with a drug addiction has a change in behavior because their urge for a fix, you might think he's an ass now but the drugs make him that way and it always gets worse before it gets better but when it all is over you'll find yourself in a completely different situation that can only be better than what it is now

if you leave this be then I would find it really irrisponsible, because he's family and also if you don't do anythign about this it may cause more problems for your family in the future, stealing from relatives to fights and in a worst case he'll run away and you'll find him dead in the ditch or alley somewhere, you don't want to wish that fate on anyone
Old 2008-09-17, 17:28   Link #35
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
I have a little brother and he is obsessed with this card game. I tried making him come out of it but he will refuse and has a tantrum over it. He causes problems with our family. What do I do ?
beat him at his own game. Meaning just play with him and make him lose a lot and he'll quit. Well... that stopped me on some card games.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Old 2008-09-17, 17:50   Link #36
stubby42

Were around the same age so I'm willing to bet you were either into pokemon or digimon, from our stand point those series (depending on which you preffered) were a hell of alot better than Yu-Gi oh but the fact is they were both designed to do exactly the same thing, to get us to buy cards, buy toys and watch/buy the programs.

All it is, is different characters same format.

So I dont really see why you'd want to stop him all thats going to happen is you'll look like an ass.

Part of the problem is at his age alot of the anime's that you'd consider good probably arent suitable for him.
Old 2008-09-17, 18:58   Link #37
mxg
The Lone Gamer

Send a message via AIM to mxg Send a message via MSN to mxg Send a message via Yahoo to mxg
Well I don't know maybe I will talk to my parents and let them know
Old 2008-09-17, 19:47   Link #38
HiroInazuma
Boss of Ecchi Yazuka

WTF?! YOU CARE MORE ABOUT YOUR BLUE EYES GOLD DRAGON THAN A HIS METH ADDICTION! You sir are just...I don't even have a word, how can you be so heartless, you brother is wasting his life away and you just say 'Ah well, I'm not a family man, I just want my red eyes blue dragon back....' tell your parents now then beat him up, flush his meth and take it back, send his ass to therapy and have an intervention.

You better be joking, cos this is just sick...
Old 2008-09-17, 19:54   Link #39
Haseo Vi Awesome

I quit that a year ago and even then I hardly played it
Old 2008-09-17, 20:09   Link #40
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiroInazuma View Post
WTF?! YOU CARE MORE ABOUT YOUR BLUE EYES GOLD DRAGON THAN A HIS METH ADDICTION! You sir are just...I don't even have a word, how can you be so heartless, you brother is wasting his life away and you just say 'Ah well, I'm not a family man, I just want my red eyes blue dragon back....' tell your parents now then beat him up, flush his meth and take it back, send his ass to therapy and have an intervention.

You better be joking, cos this is just sick...
Um, you're jumping all over him when for all we know his brother has only used meth once. A little less bashing and judging with so little information, eh?