AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

View Poll Results: Who are your favorite characters?
Alto Saotome 202 36.59%
Sheryl Nome 388 70.29%
Ranka Lee 159 28.80%
Brera Sterne 75 13.59%
Ozma Lee 127 23.01%
Cathy Glass 62 11.23%
Klan Klan 203 36.78%
Mikhail Blanc (aka Michel) 156 28.26%
Luca Angeloni 24 4.35%
Nanase Matsuura 23 4.17%
Canaria Berstein 18 3.26%
Leon Mishima 13 2.36%
Howard Glass 6 1.09%
Grace O'Connor 41 7.43%
Bobby Margot 61 11.05%
Nene Rora 14 2.54%
Raramia Rerenia 13 2.36%
Jeffrey Wilder 18 3.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 552. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-11-20, 10:33   Link #721
justavisitor

Well, from what I know, the term "moe" started from a character named "Tomoe Hotaru" from sailormoon (She even have the word "moe" in her name, both in japanese and english).

Her image is, yes, young (she is 13), but still looks like a nomral teenage girls, sometimes she even looks like a mature girl (it's everywhere in the web, you can take a look)...So that was the prototype of moe

But time changes everything, now when the character of lucky star can win the moe contest. You know the meaning of "moe" has been changed somewhat, at least in some of the okatu.

I like the drawing of "Tomoe Hotaru" in sailormoon a lot more than the charcter drawn in lucky star. My feeling for "moe" is still to the "Tomoe Hotaru" type of girls. Hey but I am perfectly aware that now the definition of moe is probably swifting to the character type in the likes of lucky star.

It's really a subjective issue anyway. (stop drawing characters lolier and lolier, give me back "Tomoe Hotaru" XD)
I am a Ranka fan and I have significant experience in defending various "crimes" committed by Ranka, from her evil plan to terminate human races, to feeding inapporiate food to unknown lifeforms. If you think you find "new" charges aginst Ranka and you are interested, or you care to see how a particular Ranka fan would respond, please feel free to check my previous comment. There is a good chance that I have answered a similiar issue. And of course, my viewpoints do not necessarily represent other perspectivs from numerous Ranka fans in this planet
Old 2008-11-20, 11:01   Link #722
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

A Japanese fan can use 'moe' to describe a brick if only it possess eyes and a blush.

'Moe' is nothing more then that.

AD 2314 Mobile Suit Gundam 00
~A wakening of the Trailblazer~

Old 2008-11-20, 11:16   Link #723
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urei View Post
A Japanese fan can use 'moe' to describe a brick if only it possess eyes and a blush.

'Moe' is nothing more then that.
Hmmm, that's not enough.

Because just eyes and blush is not enough to make the brick moe. I do not have the skills to make a brick moe though, but I can tell it still lacks certain features to be moe.

And if the brick was made to look moe, then it will fufil the part of superficial moe.

If the brick is given an identity, a personality and is able to express some sort of emotion, it will fufil the part of inner moe.

This will then make the brick a true moe character.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2008-11-20, 12:09   Link #724
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Hmmm, that's not enough.

Because just eyes and blush is not enough to make the brick moe.
You, sir, clearly underestimate the potential of Japanese Otakus

Quote:
If the brick is given an identity, a personality and is able to express some sort of emotion, it will fufil the part of inner moe.
I can agree with that. Then again, most if not all 'moe' personalities are the all common cliche ones. At least that's what I've read and witnessed. Can't generalize the term, because right from the very start it does not possess a proper range of meaning and thus, anything can be 'moe' if you really wish it.

Old 2008-11-20, 12:25   Link #725
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urei View Post
You, sir, clearly underestimate the potential of Japanese Otakus

I can agree with that. Then again, most if not all 'moe' personalities are the all common cliche ones. At least that's what I've read and witnessed. Can't generalize the term, because right from the very start it does not possess a proper range of meaning and thus, anything can be 'moe' if you really wish it.
Not really that, I know how extreme otakus can be lol

But maybe like what the discussion has brought up so far, its subjective and depends on the individual.

Someone probably has a strong love for blushing face moe, then the eyes and blush may very well be enough moe for him.

Moe comes in many forms and different moe lovers love theirs differently.

My view of moe is just another quality along with sexiness, cuteness and such, like what I've mentioned earlier on. And I can acknowledge your view of moe as having many cliches, but I can also incoporate the same view into sexiness cuteness and such.

There are many cliched ways to make a character sexy, likewise for making one look cute, even looking wise/brainy(just give her a pair of specs).

Old 2008-11-20, 13:14   Link #726
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Not really that, I know how extreme otakus can be lol

But maybe like what the discussion has brought up so far, its subjective and depends on the individual.

Someone probably has a strong love for blushing face moe, then the eyes and blush may very well be enough moe for him.

Moe comes in many forms and different moe lovers love theirs differently.

My view of moe is just another quality along with sexiness, cuteness and such, like what I've mentioned earlier on. And I can acknowledge your view of moe as having many cliches, but I can also incoporate the same view into sexiness cuteness and such.

There are many cliched ways to make a character sexy, likewise for making one look cute, even looking wise/brainy(just give her a pair of specs).
Ok, I think we summed up the topic of 'moe'ness' pretty well. Honestly, I never expected one poll to be able to create a discussion of this caliber.

Old 2008-11-20, 13:32   Link #727
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Yes, I'm quite surprised myself lol

I'm surprised at the fact that mods didn't see this as off topicness and that we didn't have any sort of flaming at all, but I sensed a bit of tension at parts.

Old 2008-12-07, 18:50   Link #728
incorrupts
Banned

Send a message via MSN to incorrupts
Sheryl takes the cake. Man, i do love charas that can make me rofl and be serious when they need to be serious. {same with Michael, the guy was epic}
Also voted Alto+Ozma+Luca.
Old 2008-12-09, 11:42   Link #729
nanatsusaya
C.C. & Sheryl worshipper

NEWTYPE ACADEMY 2008:

Best Anime: #3 Macross F (after Code Geass R2 and Gundam00 though I personally think the latter doesn't make any sense )

Best Male Character: #7 Saotome Alto (corrected )

Best Female Character: #6 Sheryl Nome, #7 Ranka Lee

Last edited by nanatsusaya; 2008-12-09 at 22:23.
Old 2008-12-09, 16:38   Link #730
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanatsusaya View Post
NEWTYPE ACADEMY 2008:

Best Anime: #3 Macross F (after Code Geass R2 and Gundam00 though I personally think the latter doesn't make any sense )
I don't disagree, Gundam 00 started off with a bang, but it failed to convince me of any relative-realism, and I am not talking about the Gundams.

However, keep in mind that both franchise are at least 50 episodes long, Macross F only had 25. But while MF failed to reach first place, it certainly defeated the latter two in terms of merchandising, according to official figures.

Quote:
Best Male Character: #8 Saotome Alto
He doesn't deserve it.

Quote:
I need not mention anything about this one, as everyone should be more than aware of what I am going to say about these two.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-12-10, 03:51   Link #731
herbert

Quote:
NEWTYPE ACADEMY 2008:

Best Male Character: #7 Saotome Alto (corrected )

These rankings are accumulated from months votes, right? Then it's not a surprise if you followed every month's issue.

And according what I heard about Newtype Jan 2009 chart lists, Sheryl ends in 2nd place again, and she is the only MF characters (male or female) remains top 10.
Old 2008-12-10, 05:47   Link #732
Westlo
Lets be reality

The movie could push Sheryl to the #1 spot.
Old 2008-12-10, 08:25   Link #733
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbert View Post
And according what I heard about Newtype Jan 2009 chart lists, Sheryl ends in 2nd place again, and she is the only MF characters (male or female) remains top 10.
I recall the golden days when Misa won the anime grandprix as best female character...

*sigh*

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2008-12-10, 08:52   Link #734
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

She did? Wow... I didn't know that. So, she really was more popular than Minmey?

Old 2008-12-10, 10:08   Link #735
nanatsusaya
C.C. & Sheryl worshipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
She did? Wow... I didn't know that. So, she really was more popular than Minmey?
I looked it up and yeah she did, way back in 1983 Not only that, she is the only one from Macross ever won Grand Prix though Minmay's Ai oboete imasu ka also won best song.

Japaneses still have hope it seems ^^ At least they're not totally blinded by the MOE
Old 2008-12-10, 13:53   Link #736
kujoe
from head to heel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
I recall the golden days when Misa won the anime grandprix as best female character...

*sigh*

- Tak
Wow, I didn't know that too.

I always figured that Minmay was still the more popular one despite the number of people criticizing her.

My faith in humanity has been restored... a bit.
Old 2008-12-10, 16:48   Link #737
Urei
Star Designer
*Graphic Designer

It's not that she was more popular. Her songs made her eternal. She became an icon of Macross. People forget everyone else.

Old 2008-12-10, 16:54   Link #738
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Well, she conveyed her real self through her songs and she put all her soul into it. She definitely reached the hearts of people with Ai Oboeteimasuka. I know I cried to the song twice or thrice, she was the first character that ever made me cry I think. For that Minmay will always be my favourite Macross character.

Old 2008-12-10, 16:58   Link #739
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Well, I get quite emotional hearing that song, myself... but I'm always reminded more of Misa, than Minmey. I guess it's really a matter of taste, then.

Old 2008-12-10, 17:04   Link #740
herbert

I don't think it's a good idea (and necessary) to decide who is the most popular one between the two. It's not the stupid MF, in which you don't much choice. In original, you can like both Minmey and Misa.

Or, forget about the triangle.

All hail Milia-sama!!!

Tags
characters, favorite