Haak
Me, An Intellectual

* I meant to say aspect.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-24, 08:25   Link #462
Blaat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Why, why, WHY doesn't Miyano get more roles like this instead of roles where he just has to use his generic angsty/sexy pretty boy voice that can drive me up the wall? >____<)
Not sure if you watch the series but the latest episode of Watamote answered that question perfectly for you.

Anyway I hope Miyano gets a hammy role in Jojo (plenty of those in Jojo), Dio gets back and Miyano's character and Dio teams up, the hamminess would be glorious.

In other news the single of the OP has been released, and the lyrics makes as much sense as it did before the single release.
Old 2013-08-24, 08:32   Link #463
Hamster

Hajime is a miracle of the universe.

Spoiler:
Hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-24, 08:59   Link #464
human6861

OD power can destroy a world , and he's the one who destroy 1 or maybe 2 worlds in the last fight with Berg .
And do anyone notice that OD and Berg K look alike , maybe they came from same world (that ready destroyed)
human6861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-24, 09:17   Link #465
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
Not sure if you watch the series but the latest episode of Watamote answered that question perfectly for you.
I don't watch Watamote, but it was a rhetoric question, anyway. It's just that I don't like his sexy/angsty pretty boy voice nor his usual performance in those roles, and I often have a feeling that he's phoning it in a lot of the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaat View Post
In other news the single of the OP has been released, and the lyrics makes as much sense as it did before the single release.
About that. Actually, the chorus makes perfect sense (there's like three verses of actual and relevant lyrics in there).

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2013-08-24 at 09:29.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-24, 09:50   Link #466
Dop
Mmmm....

Have to agree that Miyano has got a good range and it's great to hear him in parts where he can really let it rip.

Berg-katze was the highlight of the episode where we get to see what they're capable of.
Taking out the CROWDS in a few seconds killing almost a hundred people (the three who were kicked out of CROWDS just before the battle can think themselves very lucky), thrashing Rui, and then not merely giving Jou a beating, but openly mocking him before defeating him psychologically.

Katze clearly found Hajime unusual for a Gatchaman, and I wonder if he'll try to corrupt her into joining his side.

Will JJ ever do anything but cut things up?
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-24, 10:16   Link #467
Irenesharda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
It's more likely that OD limits his power where Berg does not. It's the Achilles's Heel of having power while trying to use it to help the world. What good is defeating the villain if the end result is as if the villain had won in the first place?

And seeing what type of psycho Berg is, that is exactly what he'd want. Push someone like Rui or OD into doing the dirty work for him. He already has the power to kill everyone and destroy the world by himself.....but it's not interesting or fun to do it that way.
I don't know about that. If there was someone serial killing whole worlds, I don't think you would hold back. The indication really is that Berg is the stronger one and that OD is the only one who is even close to being equal to him. I think this is the reason OD called Paiman foolish when he and the girls decided to go out there themselves. OD knows that even of all the Gatchaman, he's the only one with even a hope of beating Berg. However, he knows that the amount of power required for him to take Berg down, will have horrible costs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by human6861 View Post
OD power can destroy a world , and he's the one who destroy 1 or maybe 2 worlds in the last fight with Berg .
And do anyone notice that OD and Berg K look alike , maybe they came from same world (that ready destroyed)
I actually thought of that too! When I saw Berg spinning on his heels, his red eyes, and then considered how powerful he must be, I thought to myself, what if he is from the same world or is even related to OD?

They both are very powerful, dress effeminately, wear lipstick and nail polish that matches, and both have crimson eyes and act over the top. It could be a coincidence, but I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be true.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-24, 10:27   Link #468
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Why, why, WHY doesn't Miyano get more roles like this instead of roles where he just has to use his generic angsty/sexy pretty boy voice that can drive me up the wall? >____<) Gaaah. He was awesome during the fight with Jou and then the talk with Hajime. DO YOU HEAR ME, CASTING PEOPLE, GIVE HIM MORE ROLES WHERE HE ACTUALLY HAS TO ACT AND MAKE AN EFFORT AT IT, KTHX. (And roles where he can put his hammy tendencies to good use.)
I couldn't agree more. I would even go as far as to say his performance was the highlight of the episode for me. He's beyond amazing as Katze. He desperately needs to get more fabulous roles like this.
Old 2013-08-24, 12:12   Link #469
Shadow5YA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenesharda View Post
These are actually pretty grounded assumptions based on what you just said. OD has alluded that his powers if unleashed could destroy worlds. It has been further then inferred that he is the most powerful of the Gatchaman. OD stated that he fought Berg Katze using said powers, however that was not enough and Katze got away. Therefore, logically speaking, if OD used his powers to against Katze and Katze survived, then it would stand to reason that Katze is strong enough to be able to endure, at least for the most part, against OD. It is stated that Berg is responsible for the destruction of several worlds, and killed Paiman's friend, so I'm doubting OD would not have done everything he could to take him down. However, since Berg obviously survived, that means that Berg is at least as strong or stronger than OD's power.

This all is logically what can be inferred from the facts given so far.
Assuming battle strength is linear and two-dimensional is a logical fallacy in itself. There is nothing to suggest that OD can bend reality.

There are also several possible explanations behind Katze surviving a fight against OD, like OD holding back himself or Katze being swift enough to avoid the finishing blow. A fight is not some turn-based RPG where both sides take hits head on and the winner is the character with the highest stats. Judging a character to be "stronger" based simply on the end result is a logical fallacy, especially when Katze doesn't play fair and does things like turn invisible and play mind games.
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-24, 14:24   Link #470
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Along with his remarkable work during the destruction of Jou, I also thought Miyano's parodies of the other voice actors were spot on. He's quite good at getting the correct intonation and pitch for the characters he mocks.

This episode took Gatchaman Crowds to another level. Nakamura has a knack for taking ridiculous premises and infusing them with enough dramatic power to make them persuasive. Sometimes he fails at this as in [C], but in both Crowds and tsuritama he has shown the ability to make the absurd plausible and, as in this show and the Apothecary stories, disturbingly frightening as well.

I found the score for this episode one of the most complex I have heard in a long time. I'd have to watch the episode again to count the number of different musical genres that were used. For me, the most striking piece was the modernist piano solo and soprano performance that concludes at the opening credits. I listened closely but failed to determine the language of the libretto. It could be Japanese, of course, but I'm unable to tell. I've only ever heard Japanese sung in anime or in traditional forms, not songs that sound like they were written by Anton Webern. Regardless it was a very unsettling piece and heightened the very unsettling scene it backed.

After that I began listening to the sound track by Iwasaki Taku more intently. He's had a long career as a composer for anime, dating back to shows like Angel Heart and Getbackers. I recall liking his work in half-dozen or so shows that I've seen in that list, but this is the first one to make pay attention to the composer. I intend to watch this series again from the beginning; listening to the sound track will be an important part of that experience.

Any speculations on the fascination with origami in this show?

I thought Paiman's transformation was utterly hilarious. How come he can't fly? Wouldn't becoming a vehicle make him fairly useless against most Gatcha opponents like Berg? What's Pai-Pai going to do? Run Berg over?

I've actually come around to enjoying Uchida Maaya's performance as Hajime. For a long time I thought her voice too high-pitched and grating, but after listening to her for a while I can see the subtleties she brings to the role. Her conversation with Berg in this episode is a good example of how Uchida can modulate a character who is essentially full-on all the time.

I was thinking about how this show fit into the genre of parallel worlds where events occur that influence humans generally, but they are largely invisible to everyone except a small contingent. Madoka Magica, Dennou Coil and Noein are examples of this type of story, but then I realized this seems to be a persistent theme in Nakamura's work. The Apothecary stories all concern supernatural influences largely unseen by the humans in the show; [C] posits a parallel "financial district" with effects on the actual money supply; tsuritama depicts a threat to the earth from sea-loving aliens opposed by the secret organization D.U.C.K. (Kuuchuu Buranko doesn't fit the pattern, but it's also the only adaptation that Nakamura has directed for noitaminA. These other shows are all anime-originals.)

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2013-08-24 at 14:57.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-24, 14:46   Link #471
Shadow5YA

I find that all the Gatchaman (other than OD and Hajime) received some development this episode.
Katze displaying Jou's insecurities hinted that his motivation for taking Katze on alone may have been his own desire to play the hero and make something out of his mediocre life.
Paipan also displayed that he is capable of acting based on what he firmly believes is just, even if he regressed to being passive halfway down the road.
Utsutsu continues to slowly break out of her shell and is now willing to risk her own life to help others in need.
Most of all, Sugane continues to grow. He's no longer the rookie who only follows orders, criticizing those who do not, and is now able to decide for himself on what is right like when he rescued Rui and when he intended to defy Paipan's orders and transform to help Jou. He also no longer loses his cool against Hajime.

I don't think there is much room for Hajime to grow. Sure, she will learn more factual information about the enemy and such, but the way her character is designed, she is already the ideal hero who already knows what to do in any situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I thought Paiman's transformation was utterly hilarious. How come he can't fly? Wouldn't becoming a vehicle make him fairly useless against most Gatcha opponents like Berg? What's Pai-Pai going to do? Run Berg over?
He can at the least ferry allies away for a strategic retreat. That speed has its uses and is better than doing nothing which is what he has been doing for the entire series so far.
Old 2013-08-25, 12:27   Link #472
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The lyrics of the OP make even less sense than I expected. It's like a whole new level of Engrish.

Quote:
fly amaze it crore vavry rough
spin up and know feel in
brender lonely
estrad and me under graven me
on the starnet

write the mean destroy baby rat
stay up and no fear
into end aloud these sir prize
on me
unders heavenly on the clone it
the world your word is
we are not alone
Yowakute tsuyoi hitorihitorida
Sō tori no yō ni
have to fight and go the
distance
I really love the song but come on. There are words that don't even exist!
Old 2013-08-25, 16:23   Link #473
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
The lyrics of the OP make even less sense than I expected. It's like a whole new level of Engrish.
If you read back a little, that's the entire point. Also, just because the English doesn't make sense doesn't mean the Japanese doesn't make sense either. There are three completely coherent verses of lyrics in the song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
Paipan also displayed that he is capable of acting based on what he firmly believes is just, even if he regressed to being passive halfway down the road.
That's either Paiman or Pai-Pai. (Normally I wouldn't correct a typo, but "paipan" means something completely different... )
Old 2013-08-25, 16:49   Link #474
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

meh I dont really care about lyric. as long it sound nice

is not like I understand 90% of japanese song to begin with :P

RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-25, 16:51   Link #475
Shadow5YA

Quote:

It's intentional gibberish for the sake of sounding cool. Think of something like one of Yuki Kajiura's songs
Old 2013-08-25, 17:38   Link #476
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
If you read back a little, that's the entire point. Also, just because the English doesn't make sense doesn't mean the Japanese doesn't make sense either. There are three completely coherent verses of lyrics in the song.
That doesn't make the English lyrics which make up the majority of the song any less nonsensical. I get that it's meant to sound cool, but including random English words in songs has never been cool. Is it really that bad to have songs entirely in Japanese?

Quote:
It's intentional gibberish for the sake of sounding cool. Think of something like one of Yuki Kajiura's songs
It didn't seem that way to me since a few sentences do mean something but if it's entirely intentional then it's alright, I guess. Would have been better to use a fictional language though, or at least something more unusual than English.
Old 2013-08-25, 18:38   Link #477
kuromitsu

Quote:
That doesn't make the English lyrics which make up the majority of the song any less nonsensical. I get that it's meant to sound cool, but including random English words in songs has never been cool. Is it really that bad to have songs entirely in Japanese?
It's not the lyrics that are meant to sound cool, it's the vocals and the song itself. If you don't think it is then that's your opinion, but as someone who spent much of my childhood listening to English songs without understanding the lyrics, being able to make out only a handful of words at most, I see what they're getting at, and I think it's a neat idea. Sure, they could've had the entire song in Japanese but clearly that's not what they wanted to do (any Japanese band can do that).

Quote:
Would have been better to use a fictional language though, or at least something more unusual than English.
Well, they're singing for a Japanese audience, including people who grew up/are growing up listening to English language music, which is what the gimmick emulates.
Old 2013-08-25, 18:46   Link #478
Irenesharda

Quote:
Assuming battle strength is linear and two-dimensional is a logical fallacy in itself. There is nothing to suggest that OD can bend reality.

There are also several possible explanations behind Katze surviving a fight against OD, like OD holding back himself or Katze being swift enough to avoid the finishing blow. A fight is not some turn-based RPG where both sides take hits head on and the winner is the character with the highest stats. Judging a character to be "stronger" based simply on the end result is a logical fallacy, especially when Katze doesn't play fair and does things like turn invisible and play mind games.
You're just making specific instances of things that I've already mentioned. In the end, it would still mean that OD and BK are pretty equal in terms of power and durability. BK might be a little stronger, but they're pretty much on equal ground.

- Major Kyosuke Hyobu
Irenesharda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-25, 21:05   Link #479
Upscaled

I hope this isn't a dumb question, but what happened to the press (as well as all the other groups who might take an interest in who the Gatchamen are?) Don't they know where Hajime lives? Or is their entire apartment block protected by some variation of the Amnesia Effect? If yes, then how did Hajime get all her stuff shipped to the right address?
Upscaled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-25, 21:18   Link #480
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Maybe Pai-Pai transformed and drove Hajime's stuff to the apartment.

Hajime doesn't actually seem to have all that much stuff, though, beyond paper, notebooks, and scissors. She does have a sufficiently diverse wardrobe so that we have seen her in a variety of outfits, but I suspect all the other stuff in the apartment is supplied by Gatchaman Furnishings, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Gatchaman Enterprises, LLC.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reimagining, science fiction, superhero