4 out of 10: Poor... 0 0%
3 out of 10: Bad... 0 0%
2 out of 10: Very Bad... 0 0%
1 out of 10: Torturous... 0 0%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-01-22, 09:22   Link #21
Sides

Well that is it for AGE-1.
Was alright, unfortunately there was no sword fight between Flit and Yark Dole.
Kind of funky that the colonist managed to build a massive construction around mars. But then again they had enough time doing that. Unless it also had some kind of camouflage there is noway that the EFF did not knew where the UE came from.
Sides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 09:26   Link #22
fcu

Uncle Frit looks so old...
fcu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 09:26   Link #23
brightman
Ancient Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sides View Post
Well that is it for AGE-1.
Looks like AGE-1 will be back next week judging from the preview.

Anyway, good ep, got this foreboding vibe. Hope the 2nd gen picks up this pacing and atmosphere.
Old 2012-01-22, 09:27   Link #24
Meltyred

Good thing to know: Ract doesn't die (Fardain may be important again later on) Nobody on Diva dies (Adam will you turn important and rescue Grodek?). Oh and hey, Largan is still alive! (He died like in one chapter in the manga, who knew the Anime version liked him.)

Bad things to know: Emily, even at the end you are still shafted. Flit is a emotional wreck.
Meltyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 09:43   Link #25
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

Great episode. I was somewhat let down by the rather anti climatic final battle. I was expecting the huge MS/MA was able to give Flit some trouble but Flit beat him rather easily with just a beam saber. It was a rather sad ending for Flit's arc. In the end, he failed to archive anything significant. Yurin's death probably scarred him for life and I wonder how his character will turn out in the second generation.

UE's truth is revealed, as Mars colonies forsakened by the useless Federation. Their leader is named as well. With the truth coming out, I wonder how will the war turn out

Grodek's end is just sad. Imprisoned and all his credits taken, the EFF is rotten to the core. He will probably show up in the second arc, and maybe the UE commander's son will take revenge on him.

More potential future plotline:

A new UE mothership coming to Earth sphere

Desil's whereabout

Yark Dole's son

Rotten EFF

Sir Ezelcant's plan?

It's a shame that we get zero development on Flit and Emily's relationship, not even she consoling him after the battle. We will have timeskip of two decades and their relationship unexplored, I'm hoping there will be some side stories that might deal with what Flit's up to after this Ambat war
Old 2012-01-22, 09:54   Link #26
Realist_Classic
Casual prosumer of anime

And thus concludes the Flit's arc. I didn't think it was possible to top last week's episode in terms of raw emotional output. However, knowing that the UE has a legitimate grudge against the Federation makes them an even "better" enemy than being aliens. I think an interplanetary conflict would be quite an epic to cover. I certainly hope there are more than a few skirmishes here and there.

More importantly, I wonder how our characters will fare next arc, knowing they are fully aware of the Federation's treachery. This kind of coverup is the stuff of civil wars.
Realist_Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 09:54   Link #27
ReddyRedWolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by casval cehack View Post

The biggest question for me is how much Millias know about the incident. She easily broke the UE defense systems just like that. Is she related to to the UE/Veigans lead by this Sir Ezcelcant?
Ambat was a Federation fortress before. So the ports are compatible.

Millie made a speculation the Martian colonists died off. Gerra Zoi corrected her that the colonists survived but with a 20% mortality rate.

As I said it is pretty stupid to colonize Mars as it has a weak magnetic field. As it does not have a Van Alen Belt as Earth does to protect it from cosmic radiation.

Sound to me the Veigans are pretty much brainwashed by propaganda by their great leader.

Also the portrayal of the Federation is that of negligent and incompetent. As with the Euba-Zalam conflict before the treaty and the non-protection of colonies the Federation lacks the will for enforcement.

This is different from other portrayals of a Federation in the Gundam franchise. Where as others are control freaks this Federation lacks the political will to govern.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 10:05   Link #28
Znozzy
Praise the sun!

have to say the finale was a bit of a downer. i expected atleast some of the Diva's crew to die (and no, i don't consider nameless random animated faces to be part of the actual crew) but then again, they didnt have alot of them to kill of to begin with, oh well.

Flit really had a mental breakdown, if he keeps acting like that i wonder if emily loved him or if Asem is the result of a Pity shag? would explain alot, lol

Yark Dole/Geera Zoi? was pretty cool and all, silly Grodek show him in the back.

i really disagree with Grodek's fate, being inprisoned like that? they could've atleast well .. killed him off and ended his arc with him being happy he got revenge, bittersweet ending i guess?

Overall 6/10
Znozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 10:11   Link #29
Meltyred

Thank god they were not real Aliens, cause those would suck.
Seriously.
I prefer rehashed crossbone plot rather than 00 trailblazer plot.
Meltyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 10:14   Link #30
ReddyRedWolf

Grodek pulled something right off Kill Bill. He told the little he killed his father. Who was the one who killed Grodek's family.

Decil and that brat would come and haunt the Federation in the 2nd generation.
ReddyRedWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 10:22   Link #31
casval cehack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddyRedWolf View Post
Ambat was a Federation fortress before. So the ports are compatible.

Millie made a speculation the Martian colonists died off. Gerra Zoi corrected her that the colonists survived but with a 20% mortality rate.

As I said it is pretty stupid to colonize Mars as it has a weak magnetic field. As it does not have a Van Alen Belt as Earth does to protect it from cosmic radiation.

Sound to me the Veigans are pretty much brainwashed by propaganda by their great leader.

Also the portrayal of the Federation is that of negligent and incompetent. As with the Euba-Zalam conflict before the treaty and the non-protection of colonies the Federation lacks the will for enforcement.

This is different from other portrayals of a Federation in the Gundam franchise. Where as others are control freaks this Federation lacks the political will to govern.
That's right. But during her logging about the Ambat cover-up, Millias said "Even though that foolish action was the start of this..." referring to something in relation to the same cover-up 150 years ago. Very suspicious of her (and she didn't even aged a bit in the previews).

I suspect this is about the psycomet "Mucell", a stuff Geera Zoi cited about enhancing the X-area during his battle with the Flit, the untrained X-rounder. Maybe Mars, even with the disease inducing Mars Rays, is the only resource for this cyber-Newtype thing. But this is for the speculation thread.

So Flit's chapter is about the UE origins, leaving the revalation of their reasons for attacking for the later chapters. Plus the significance about the memento that Woolf acquired.
Old 2012-01-22, 11:08   Link #32
Key Board
Carbon

First arc rating

as a stand alone: 6.5/10
as a setup: 7.5/10

I look forward to seeing Flit growing up into a vengeance obsessed Grodek mk2

How the hell did the colonists survive much less build such advanced mobile weapons, though?

They must have found an alien relic on Mars
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 11:28   Link #33
LightningZERO
You are Dominated!
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znozzy View Post
i really disagree with Grodek's fate, being inprisoned like that? they could've atleast well .. killed him off and ended his arc with him being happy he got revenge, bittersweet ending i guess?
Agree. His fate is definitely worse than death imo, but I think it is necessary for him to carry on the guilt in order for the EFF to spare the Diva crew
Old 2012-01-22, 11:54   Link #34
Znozzy
Praise the sun!

Yeah, but he could've gotten synapse'd and had his " entering the room with his family in it " as something shown before he got shot/executed instead, and it would've been a .. well, happier ending for him.

He got his flashback, and he got thrown into jail for the rest of his life instead, seems like a waste of his character, you know? he has no purpose anymore, he is just going to sit in his cell for the rest of his life (unless they break him out of prison in the second generation)
Znozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 12:10   Link #35
KaiDamien
Sua-ve-ke-va

The 1 good thing from this episode was that the art and animation of AGE-1 in combat was better then what we had so far. AGE-1 looked kinda like his FW model counterpart. I liked Grodek's ending in gen 1, its kind of brutal but awesome. He's pretty cool when he told the little kid that he killed Yark. I'm really hoping that in Gen-2 Grodek gets screwed over real bad by the little kid, i don't mind if in the end Grodek gets killed by the little kid.

I'm hoping that Gen-2 turns out to be better then Gen-1. Gen-1 was lacking in quite afew departments: art, animation ,action chereography etc. It will be really interesting to see how they handle Flit and other main characters from Gen-1.

There are many stories out there that always had a problem dealing with characters from the previous-series/generations, i'm hoping they wouldnt make Flit too unworthy of someone who was the protagonist of gen-1. Though i get a feeling the creators probably have a 'Asem-save-Flit-big-time' scene in their mind.I always hate the plot device the new guys have to be the one saving the previous gen heroes .
KaiDamien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 12:11   Link #36
Deacon Blues
Supreme Grocer
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Deacon Blues Send a message via MSN to Deacon Blues
Someone tell me as I don't watch the subs... Veigan is the official spelling? Yes?
そして、戦っている人間が汚れて見えないのも事実だ」

So why do people fight, anyway?
Perhaps the meaning of existence lies within their will to fight.
People feel a sense of accomplishment through battle.
And it’s also a fact that the ones actually fighting are never perceived as being tainted.
Deacon Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 12:13   Link #37
asaqe
Augumented Paranoia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
First arc rating

as a stand alone: 6.5/10
as a setup: 7.5/10

I look forward to seeing Flit growing up into a vengeance obsessed Grodek mk2

How the hell did the colonists survive much less build such advanced mobile weapons, though?

They must have found an alien relic on Mars
Mars' mineral resources are more abundant than what the Space Colonies have to offer. They use it to construct the Gafrans and similar MS which was why they gave the Earth Feds so much trouble until AGE gundam arrived.

And this pretty much seals Flit's fate, a bitter man in the second era, training his son to become his hand of vegence
Old 2012-01-22, 12:21   Link #38
KaiDamien
Sua-ve-ke-va

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Blues View Post
Someone tell me as I don't watch the subs... Veigan is the official spelling? Yes?
Yea Veigans, that's how its been translated to.
KaiDamien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-22, 12:24   Link #39
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

The episode scripts and everywhere else of official material have been fairly inconsistent with one another... so really, we're not sure.
Old 2012-01-22, 12:29   Link #40
Vena
Carpe Diem

While some parts of the episode were well done and some of the new hints towards the larger narrative were delivered neatly and (at times) covertly, other parts of this episode felt poorly executed. Grodek's conclusion is neither a surprise nor is it bad, in my opinion, as it was really the only alternative to him dying, and it leaves his character available for the next generation (and seemingly a necessity because of his role in the little blue-kid's life). So Grodek, Millias, and the plot's progression were handled decently at least.

But the end of the episode left me wanting more from the other main characters. I understand that Flit is an emotional wreck now but they really could have done more with him and Emily, especially if their future relationship is going to be so pivotal to Age-2 with Asem. It just leaves me with a feeling of being shafted on a key character defining point, especially for Emily and to a lesser degree for Flit. This "resolution" just leaves the whole YurinxFlitxEmily relationship feeling very poorly executed with only half of the triangle being given any real development while the half that leads to the most important developments for the future generations (Asem being born) is left feeling inconsequential. This won't really be fixed even if the second arc focuses on the rift in Flit's family because the family is never effectively established on screen and is just a: "It happened when you weren't looking." Not a very fulfilling development or method of writing.

Tags
weekly episode discussion