AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Old 2011-08-04, 06:39   Link #2481
Westlo
Lets be reality

They had no choice but to combine 3 series into one since otherwise they would never had got Robotech on tv since it didn't have enough episodes. I really don't mind Robotech since if I didn't see it as a kid I doubt I would've been an anime fan.. and I'm sure I'm not the only one that would apply too.. though I found it pretty funny I always thought the second and third parts were crap when I was 7-9 and than found out they were completely different series when I was older and watching NGE and stuff.

I'm more annoyed @ Harmony Gold for what they've done since Robotech.... trying to argue that Macross is their property or some bullshit, fuck outta here. Sucks we'll never see Frontier licensed due to this bullcrap.
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-04, 07:26   Link #2482
Falcor

Send a message via MSN to Falcor
Spoiler for Beginning to get a bit OT:

Macross deserves to stand apart from robotech - if only harmony gold could be convinced to release their strangle-hold. I understand this was their attempt to support the anime industry in the USA, but the time for such measures is long past. All they are doing now is standing in the way, forcing people to find alternative methods to acquire newer Macross-based products. Atleast those of us who aren't fluent in Japanese....
Falcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-04, 08:47   Link #2483
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
I sang in English, but it's the same tune as the original.
LOL. Did they think you'd made up the English lyrics?

------

Live action Macross? urk...I hope they NEVER do that...

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-04, 11:34   Link #2484
sa547
*Author

Offtopic/soapbox: Let's get to one thing before we move on: all the "squatter" does is nothing but to sue (even after the death of their vociferous champion and self-proclaimed "legend", who while alive repeatedly derided the original creators), but then as time passes by consumer interest in their products would decline, leading to possible filing of bankruptcy; furthermore with the stigma associated with them for causing the worst schism in fan history, no one will try to associate with them, ever.

The truth's already out, and should they try to do yet another profit-making stunt, it's bound to fail like a Uwe Boll, and they'll be the laughingstock and might have to file for Chapter 11.

So should a live-action version be made, let's leave it to Kawamori and company in Japan to pull it off, and maybe along with Weta to beef it up to supergrade spec.

Ontopic: This year, Sheryl, Ranka and Klan are in Saimoe, and right now the Galactic Fairy is in the... lesee...

Damn.

http://saimoe.wordpress.com/2011/08/...ill/#more-2133

Sheryl got bumped to 6th place (and earlier I made a mental bet on her; all other girls were unfamiliar to me); Feris (Stein's Gate) is on top at the moment.

But this is the prelims (Group 1/Second Prelim Round), they say.

All right, Ranka's in the 2nd group for the 2nd prelims; as expected she has a lot of competition (including a Madoka Magica boss enemy).

You go, girl, and better get a full loadout. Good luck.
Old 2011-08-04, 12:13   Link #2485
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
Offtopic/soapbox: Let's get to one thing before we move on: all the "squatter" does is nothing but to sue (even after the death of their vociferous champion and self-proclaimed "legend", who while alive repeatedly derided the original creators), but then as time passes by consumer interest in their products would decline, leading to possible filing of bankruptcy; furthermore with the stigma associated with them for causing the worst schism in fan history, no one will try to associate with them, ever.
The truth is, Kawamori & co. could challenge Harmony Gold based the decision reached by Japanese courts several years ago, where it was ruled that Kawamori & co. owned the rights to the designs of the original Macross (allowing them to create sequels based on those) while Tatsunoko (and by extension, Harmony Gold) owns the rights to the distribution of the first series, only. Eventually, I believe a serious challenge to HG would come to fruition, especially after the overwhelming success of Macross Frontier.

Quote:
So should a live-action version be made, let's leave it to Kawamori and company in Japan to pull it off, and maybe along with Weta to beef it up to supergrade spec.
Lets not. I do not wish to see the spirit of a series destroyed. Japanese studios aren't much better at converting anime to live-action. While Yamato was definitely entertaining, it failed to correspond with the spirit of the original.

Quote:
Ontopic: This year, Sheryl, Ranka and Klan are in Saimoe, and right now the Galactic Fairy is in the... lesee...
Sheryl in Saimoe never made much sense to me. I... cannot really think of anything too moe about her. Hell, Alto is more moe than her!

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by Tak; 2011-08-04 at 12:24.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-04, 12:25   Link #2486
sa547
*Author

Unfortunately, we only have Hollywood to blame for instigating the trend of adapting as much properties as possible to the big screen, no matter how mediocre, along with the 3D hype; it's bound to continue.

As for the Saimoe thing... Actually, and contrary to my earlier disappointment, Sheryl has now advanced further than in the first round.

(I got quite interested in this little game after hearing about it from Madoka fans, and out of curiosity I decided to see for myself just how big is this thing is in scope and, not surprisingly, how seriously the Saimoe competition is taken by fans as if it's cockfighting; I look at it just for fun, however, and besides a competitor doesn't have to look too cute or sweet to enter the competition; even a MILF character can join.)
Old 2011-08-04, 13:17   Link #2487
Tak

Quote:
Unfortunately, we only have Hollywood to blame for instigating the trend of adapting as much properties as possible to the big screen, no matter how mediocre, along with the 3D hype; it's bound to continue.
Yet, movie studios (Japan & Hollywood) sometimes produce efforts that I applaud them for. Sure, their final product may be peculiar at best, but I find their efforts often worth complimenting.

Couple years ago, I saw the live-action version of Sakigake!! Otokojuku 魁!!男塾. For people who don't know what that is, it was a very (in)famous manga published in the mid 80s to the early 90s involving unbelievably over-the-top situations. The final product wasn't superb, but it was faithful (or as faithful as it could get), and worthy of a Saturday night popcorn session.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
Live action Macross? urk...I hope they NEVER do that...
While I have a very slight interest in seeing a live-action conversion of Macross, most of myself is afraid of the end-product. Moreover, sometimes these live-action conversions end in 1 movie, leaving no room for continuity. Take the recent Yamato, for example...

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Old 2011-08-05, 04:29   Link #2488
magnuskn

Hey, you know how long I've waited for BattleTech: The Movie? ^^

The problem with a Hollywood Macross adaptation is that it would be a RoboTech adaptation, and Harmony Gold don't deserve the accolades which should be rightly due to Kawamori & Co.
Old 2011-08-05, 05:26   Link #2489
Westlo
Lets be reality

In frontiers first year Sheryl made Top 32 (or maybe 16) in the Korean Best Moe which has a fuckload more voters than Saimoe. Really it's just a popularity contest as well as certain factions combining to knock out threats that can beat their character.
Old 2011-08-06, 09:59   Link #2490
Lancel

I've been waiting for a Battletech movie forever too.

If I made the live-action Macross, I'd do it in two movies, faithful as the Pope to the original, and I would call it Macross. Not freaking Robotech.

Only trouble is I have a feeling Harmony Gold would rear its ugly head and cram the Robotech version down our throats and the Hollywood studio would go "Oh hay, perfect, now we can make the lead an American."
Lancel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-13, 01:09   Link #2491
Tak

So this may be uber late, but since it wasn't posted here... Anyway, Maaya Sakamoto just got married couple days ago. She of course, was the singer behind Triangular, and the voice of Ranshe Mai.

http://www.jvcmusic.co.jp/flyingdog/-/Information/A008957.html#news

Her new husband is...

Kenichi Suzumura. We know him from Macross Zero as Shin Kudo and Gundam SEED DESTINY as Shinn Asuka.

So at the end, Lunamaria and Shinn were married... oh boy.

- Tak

Old 2011-08-13, 01:21   Link #2492
Westlo
Lets be reality

I prefer to think of it as Shiki and Mikiya! Kara no Kyoukai > GSD.....
Old 2011-08-13, 02:05   Link #2493
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

LOL Shinn/Lunamaria will NEVER make sense to me. XD

But kudos to the seiyuu couple!
Old 2011-08-13, 02:55   Link #2494
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by raile View Post
LOL Shinn/Lunamaria will NEVER make sense to me. XD
What doesn't make sense about Lunamaria coming onto the person who killed her sister, and the guy she was trying to sleep with for the first half of the series?
Old 2011-08-13, 10:01   Link #2495
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
What doesn't make sense about Lunamaria coming onto the person who killed her sister, and the guy she was trying to sleep with for the first half of the series?
But Lunamaria's sister was never killed... she eloped with Atty.

- Tak

Old 2011-08-13, 10:05   Link #2496
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

More like went with Athrun to betray ZAFT for no damn clear reason. XD

...And to think Athrun never saw her in that way to boot.

I really liked Suzumura as Shin...Macross Zero Shin, not GSD Shinn.
Old 2011-08-13, 10:23   Link #2497
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by raile View Post
I really liked Suzumura as Shin...Macross Zero Shin, not GSD Shinn.
Oh definitely, I respect Suzumura's Shin in ZERO. He had a goal, and he attained it even if it meant death.

- Tak

Old 2011-08-13, 12:08   Link #2498
wisteria233

The less that should be said on GSD and its horrible Hawke sisters the better (seriously one decides to go out with the guy who "killed" her sister, right after he did it, and the other betrays her country for a guy she barely knows).

But back on topic congratulations to Maaya Sakamoto I hope she has a happy life.
wisteria233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-13, 12:41   Link #2499
Natsuki Hyuga
(☞゚∀゚)☞ロンパアアアア!! 

Send a message via MSN to Natsuki Hyuga
Mu, I didn't think someone is going to post about Maaya-chan's marriage to SuzuKen here. Congratulations to Maaya-chan and SuzuKen!

And of course, the only reason I know of this beforehand was because I am a dork to SuzuKen. *whistles@stalkingnet*

What is this GSD shite? I prefer to think it's AerithxZack than LunamariaxShinn. Stuff it, it's my second beloved pairing ever in FF7!

Natsuki Hyuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-08-13, 14:04   Link #2500
Tak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsuki Hyuga View Post
Mu, I didn't think someone is going to post about Maaya-chan's marriage to SuzuKen here. Congratulations to Maaya-chan and SuzuKen!
Well, I used to like Sakamoto.

Then she proved to have quite an attitude...

- Tak

Tags
action, romance