AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-10-08, 15:03   Link #21
HandofFate

Interested in his family issues, not sure what his relation is to the 3 sisters.

From the brief flashbacks of his past, is it he snapped and beat his biological dad, and a family friend took him in and he never really fit in, or did he beat his adopted dad. Probably the former.

MC reminds a bit of Natsume, only with a nyanko-sensei to lift him up.
Old 2016-10-08, 15:33   Link #22
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Ep 01

I thought it was a pretty good premiere, and I think I will continue following it for now, however while the atmospherics and the rest do work pretty well they do not seem to "fit" with the world created in the manga.

Curiously I do remember places where moments like that do happen, but they are sort of like an extra ingredient in a salad intended to support an overriding taste created by an already existing blend of materials. This first episode felt like the extra ingredient was changed to the main one, and more than that has replaced the original overriding taste.

It is not "bad" per se, but it is a bit of a different take on the overall feel created by the manga for me. Even so, there was plenty to enjoy about the first ep, even if a part of me kinda prefers the world evoked by the source manga better.

So in any event - followed.
Old 2016-10-08, 16:02   Link #23
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

I didn't like it too much. I guess I just expected a different atmosphere, more naturalistic, while we had some strong expressionist vibes in the first half - followed by a jarring jump into silly comedic antics (WTF is up with the inner cat voices?). It certainly doesn't lack craft, but it seems to me like that's overwhelming the core premise of the story. Even without having read the manga it feels like who's doing the adaptation is sort of derailing it to their own ends rather than keep to its spirit.

Also, I find the way the mouths are drawn very distracting. Most of the time when someone is supposed to look serious/thoughtful they look disgusted instead due to those lines getting thicker at the border .

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-08, 16:56   Link #24
Xical
Phantom User

It looks like the opinions for sangatsu are very divided, as for me, I'm very satisfied with the result of the combo from Umino sensei and shaft, and that end illustration from Kentaro Miura, who better than him to make the first end card for sangatsu?
Old 2016-10-08, 17:27   Link #25
moodie

LET ME TALK ABOUT 3 GATSU NO LION

-First, the sound effects remind me soo much of SzS when the text come on the screen. Very reminiscent of old shaft.
-The intro was one of the best intros shaft has done. Yes the best. Such a great way to get into his mind and thoughts. Visually impressive.
-The CG objects blended with the 2d looking art is such a shaft thing. Even the water going down the drain and the bubbles. Good job
-The song that played for a good minute was nice. It worked and didnt feel like a filler insert just made to sell music. I see you aniplex.
-Blending shoji with his inner turmoil really made the episode feel intense. Great visuals that accompanied it.
-First episode gave us hints at whats to come and gave us the ever so slightest backstory.
-Ive seen 2 scenes where shaft utilizes the background change. When Hana goes out the background then back in. It felt like they were having fun with it. Some thing that Nisekoi used poorly and abused and even did too much in the BD fixes.
-Second time is when Grandpa was impressed with Momo's work. Only a circle of the frame was highlighted with the background change.
-Lets talk about the VA's. HanaKana actually didnt sound like nadeko and onodera for once thats a plus!
-The rest of the cast really fit their role. The cats tho! Really funny. This goes with the comment I had about the sound effects.
-The ending reminded me of Arakawa Under the Bridge with the episode preview having real world footage.

Overall a wonderful episode. Everything I could have dreamed for plus more! Some say this is tamed Shaft. I say this is Shaft being Shaft.

OP and ED are classic. Idc about other opinions.
moodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-08, 17:43   Link #26
Seihai
スマイリウム

I don't know the source and I had no knowledge or expectations. Shaft is being Shaft, alright. But not in a bad meaning! I really like the atmosphere overall, comedy skits included. The sisters are lovely and I find Rei very sympathetic. He reminds me a bit of Arima Kousei from Shigatsu btw. Also Bump of Chicken for both the OP & ED? Fuck yes.
Old 2016-10-08, 17:43   Link #27
James Rye

Always wanted to read the manga, always forgot about it. Looks like a series of loss and loneliness, hopefully it got lots of healing as well. The three sisters are lovely and the MC likeable in both his own dark and thorny world as well as letting it happen that said three sisters bring in sunshine and warmth in his life.
Old 2016-10-08, 19:25   Link #28
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

I liked it!

Was not expecting the cats to actually have inner voices as well
Old 2016-10-08, 20:06   Link #29
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I guess the water symbolism reflects not only his calm when playing shogi, but also the hidden currents of the sea representing his inner turmoil.

So yeah, right now, it really seems like a family drama in the sense that the owners of Mikazuki-dou will serve as his family in the midst of his problems. As it shows with the match, shogi will seem to take a backseat in favor of watching Rei's inner thoughts. That said, should I start learning what the pieces mean at least?
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.

Last edited by Flower; 2016-10-08 at 20:10. Reason: please do not discuss possible future content that might crop up in later episodes.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-08, 20:19   Link #30
grecefar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
I liked it!

Was not expecting the cats to actually have inner voices as well
they are one of the most funny characters in the manga, gotta love those cats.

spot on this first chapter, the animation loved it, seiyuu loved it, hell hina is more cute animated~
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-08, 20:27   Link #31
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Say wha? I tripped Flower's spoiler alarm? I don't even read the manga!
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Old 2016-10-08, 21:11   Link #32
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Let's get this out of the way first - This was not the best premiere episode so far for this 2016 Fall season. That said, it is a good solid premiere episode. Evidence of the manga's pedigree that I've read about. If the source material is good enough, it would be hard to do something bad if you closely follow the manga and its style.

This episode lays down the groundwork of what the show is about. There's a lot of water symbolism being used to reflect Rei. Calm on the surface but him falling deep within the depths with strong undercurrents. Will keep watching to see his life and how the family he meets up with frequently is keeping him engaged and bring out of his loneliness, despair and depression. There's a lot to work with to keep it interesting and deep.
leongsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-08, 21:14   Link #33
Wandering Soul

I really liked the atmosphere that they set. The comedy helped to create a contrast between how Rei acts in his regular life and how he is around the sisters. So far the characters off as pretty likable and I feel for Rei a bit.
Old 2016-10-08, 21:58   Link #34
moodie

newtype November

moodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-09, 01:31   Link #35
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

As a contrary view my opinion on SHAFT changed with this premier. They treated the material with enough respect not to go haywire with their typical animation habits but still making it obvious that it's a SHAFT production. Except maybe the saturated colors perhaps.

In any case I think the episode did the source well. I still think a different studio would have done better but I won't deny credit where credit is due.
MeoTwister5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-09, 02:16   Link #36
Maxulous
mono no aware

Finally an anime that truthfully depicts cats as the annoying little things they are.
Maxulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-09, 03:24   Link #37
Yamada II

Episode 1
It started off with some depressed kid playing shogi. The depressed kid had no family or anything. Next thing you know he's going to have dinner with some crazy sisters lol. I like how they suddenly throw in some comedy when you don't expect it. The comedy is so sudden at times I like it.

Rei has a rather mysterious back story to him. It felt like he killed his father or at the very least he wasn't on good terms with him before he died. And staying with these rather lively sisters gives him the familial feeling he is missing out on.

Some nice stuff here. The bump of chicken OP and ED were pretty cool. Gonna be staying for more here. Interested in Rei's background and what really happened with him to make him so depressed even though he's being paid more than a school teacher lol.
Yamada II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-09, 03:40   Link #38
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

1:

Man this slipped under my radar. The mangaka is the one who made Honey & Clover!? I'm so in. Premiere did not disappoint, this could be the dark horse of the season and maybe even year.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-10-09, 03:45   Link #39
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

This is one anime I'm going to step my foot down (or intensely agree to disagree) with people who didn't like it. Man that was a pretty solid premiere. It's not showy (I don't think the manga of Sangatsu no Lion is showy anyway) but you can clearly see SHAFT making an effort here!!

I'm honestly very sold!
Old 2016-10-09, 04:30   Link #40
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I forgot to mention this.
"Fighter" hyped me when I watched the official Sangatsu version video on Youtube and SHAFT did it justice with the ED sequence.

Tags
drama, seinen, shogi