AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2012-11-20, 03:16   Link #2361
tsunade666

I thought guys didn't exist in Sakiverse monster mahjong
Old 2012-11-20, 04:11   Link #2362
teja208
Critical fanboy

Aside from ranked 3rd of last year's individual, Satoha is quite a mysterious character. This chapter we saw kids call her sensei, then the man at the gate call her miss, and finally, Maga-chan had to remind her not to attend the match without disguising herself. So yeah, she must have some sort of secret identity.
teja208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-20, 04:24   Link #2363
The Green One

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
I thought guys didn't exist in Sakiverse monster mahjong
No they do, it's just that while girls don't wear underwear in the Sakiverse so they can develop freaky mahjong super powers, while the guys do wear underwear to develop their own freaky mahjong superpowers. Sadly that's less interesting so they don't get any attention.
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-20, 06:11   Link #2364
fansgirl

woa he's so old, why first male pro card is an old man.

Quote:
No they do, it's just that while girls don't wear underwear in the Sakiverse so they can develop freaky mahjong super powers, while the guys do wear underwear to develop their own freaky mahjong superpowers. Sadly that's less interesting so they don't get any attention.
thanks god in Sakiverse guys wear underwear, and I do agree
fansgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-20, 09:37   Link #2365
momonae

Quote:
Originally Posted by teja208 View Post
Aside from ranked 3rd of last year's individual, Satoha is quite a mysterious character. This chapter we saw kids call her sensei, then the man at the gate call her miss, and finally, Maga-chan had to remind her not to attend the match without disguising herself. So yeah, she must have some sort of secret identity.
She speaks like a tough guy in this chapter and doesn't act like a typical glasses-girl. And the guy called her "ojou", it's a vernacular way of saying "young lady" in shitamachi/downtown (maybe she is an edokko) or in a yakuza family. Megan questioned the way she looked (not wearing the meganekko getup) was alright and didn't mention disguising her. One reason I like this manga is that even if every character looks like a typcical moe manga/anime character they are not.
momonae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-20, 10:36   Link #2366
orangejuicetang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serperior View Post
I hope that the next chapter, Rinkai and Usuzan is finally introduced.

Also,

Spoiler for Achiga strong:
Which chapter is that picture from!?

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
orangejuicetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-20, 10:48   Link #2367
Marina2

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangejuicetang View Post
Which chapter is that picture from!?
It's a photoshoped picture.

Originally, those shadows are Usuzan team.

Last edited by Marina2; 2012-11-20 at 11:04.
Marina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-20, 11:15   Link #2368
orangejuicetang

awwww, got my hopes up

If a corrupt court will not behead an evil king, than the watchman should do it himself.
orangejuicetang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 00:15   Link #2369
The Green One

I wonder how Harue will confront trying to prep the girls to battle Kiyosumi in the finals. Might be interesting to see how the Achiga girls will discuss how to face their matchups in that fight. Data is rather limited though.
Old 2012-11-21, 00:52   Link #2370
Myssa Rei
Moderate Haruhiist

Send a message via ICQ to Myssa Rei Send a message via Yahoo to Myssa Rei
Both Kiyosumi are, ironically, working with limited data on each other. Do recall that both schools literally have no competitive records within the last five years, and many of the players -- barring Nodoka and Ako -- even have individual competitive records either. They're literally just going to base their strategy on whatever they can observe during each side of the Nationals. O
Old 2012-11-21, 01:11   Link #2371
The Green One

Actually Kiyosumi has their individuals records for Achiga to use. If anything it'll be Kiyosumi who's disadvantaged in the info department as they only have the prefectuals, this tournament, and Nodoka's memories of Ako, Kuro, and Shizu to work with.

Then again, maybe Ryuumonbuchi, Tsuruga, and Mihoko might come forward with what they know about Achiga since they practiced with them some.

Or maybe we'll all get thrown for a loop and it'll be Shindouji that comes to the finals instead of Achiga or Senriyama.

Nah, I doubt the author will be able to resist the "fated battle" that's been set up. It'd just be so anticlimatic, even if it would be a refreshing break from the normally expected.
Old 2012-11-21, 03:34   Link #2372
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

It's a shame that Nodoka wouldn't be able to play with any of her childhood friends even if they both got to final. Nodoka would be on the same table as Arata, right?

Von Himmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 03:49   Link #2373
Marina2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Von Himmel View Post
It's a shame that Nodoka wouldn't be able to play with any of her childhood friends even if they both got to final. Nodoka would be on the same table as Arata, right?
ํYeah, Arata doesn't have any relationship with Nodoka at all. Yet she get a chance to play with Nodoka.

You know, I have been thinking that when they (Achiga girls) decided a line-up for their team, they may expect Nodoka to be 1st or 3rd or 5th player as those are normally the positions that each school will put their best player....so, they put Kuro as 1st, Ako as 3rd and Shizuno as 5th in hope that one of them will get a chance to play with Nodoka. BUT.......Nodoka happens to be 4th player They probably not expected that there is someone stronger than Nodoka in Kiyosumi.

However, Kuro, Ako and Shizuno will put their souls in Arata for sure. Arata will be like:

"So, this girl is Kuro, Ako and Shizuno's target...., I will beat her for them! Prepare yourself Hamamura Nodoka!"

Last edited by Marina2; 2012-11-21 at 10:24. Reason: Edit spelling
Marina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 08:03   Link #2374
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
ํYeah, Arata doesn't have any relationship with Nodoka at all. Yet she get a chance to play with Nodoka.

You know, I have been thinking that when they (Achiga girls) decided a line-up for their team, they may expect Nodoka to be 1st or 3rd or 5th player as those are nomally the postions that each school will put their best player....so, they put Kuro as 1st, Ako as 3rd and Shizuno as 5th in hope that one of them will get a chance to play with Nodoka. BUT.......Nodoka happen to be 4th player They probably not expected that there is someone stronger than Nodoka in Kiyosumi.

However, Kuro, Ako and Shizuno will put their souls in Arata for sure. Arata will be like

"So, this girl is Kuro, Ako and Shizuno's target...., I will beat her for them! Prepare yourself Hamamura Nodoka!"
I'm pretty sure they knew Nodoka would be 4th since Achiga did so much research on Kiyosumi to the point that they battled all their opponents in the finals of the regional tournament. I'd say that Achiga prioritized having the perfect line-up over who battles Nodoka. It is pretty lol though that it's gonna be Arata who faces Nodoka even though she's the one who knows her the least.
Old 2012-11-21, 08:12   Link #2375
Felyndiira

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Green One View Post
Actually Kiyosumi has their individuals records for Achiga to use. If anything it'll be Kiyosumi who's disadvantaged in the info department as they only have the prefectuals, this tournament, and Nodoka's memories of Ako, Kuro, and Shizu to work with.
Yumi did give Hisa her collected data on all of the schools in the nationals, which would probably include Achiga as they were able to make it to the finals. Since she was able to figure out the Kuro sister's abilities using thi, it's not a stretch to assume that Hisa would at least know about the Matsumi sisters in the final match.

Ako's playstyle is one that's very obvious if you see a single one of her matches, and all of Kiyosumi except Saki was watching the semifinals. The only wildcards, then, are Arata (FunaQ had difficulty pinpointing her playstyle using only her prefect records) and Shizu, who is fully skill dependent and thus is on the same level of unpredictability as Nodoka.

I'd actually say that even without individual records, Kiyosumi has a pretty good grasp on three of the Achiga players with their current data. Given how unpredictable Kiyosumi is (not a single one of their ability users is 100% dependent on their ability; Maho, Nodoka, Hisa, and Saki are all unpredictable by nature, and even Yuuki has shown vast improvements over her records in the prefectorials whereas, say, Kuro abd Ako are still limited by their styles), I would almost assume that Kiyosumi has an advantage in knowing Achiga.
Felyndiira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 10:11   Link #2376
night_sentinel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post
I'm pretty sure they knew Nodoka would be 4th since Achiga did so much research on Kiyosumi to the point that they battled all their opponents in the finals of the regional tournament. I'd say that Achiga prioritized having the perfect line-up over who battles Nodoka. It is pretty lol though that it's gonna be Arata who faces Nodoka even though she's the one who knows her the least.
I don't think that Achiga can possibly know that Nodoka was playing the vice-captain position. Remember the team line-up was submitted before the prefecture tournament starts. Assuming that all prefecture tournaments starts roughly on the same day no team can know for sure what their rival team's line-up can be.

In this, I agree with Marina2's theory about Achiga guessing where Nodoka was going to be positioned and putting members that know of her in that position. Before fighting Ryuumobuchi, Achiga was under the impression that Nodoka is Kiyosumi's ace.

Remember, Shizuno asked Koromo who was curbstomping her at that time, "Did Nodoka beat you?" That simple statement reveals that Achiga at that time believes Nodoka was the strongest in Kiyosumi.

Besides that, another evidence was Koromo's answer that it wasn't Nonoka who beat her, but Kiyosumi's rinshan user and Achiga's subsequent confusion. Achiga has absolutely no clue what 'rinshan user' meant implying they haven't watched any of Kiyosumi's team matches yet.

If we look at Achiga's lineup closely, we notice that those who knew Nodoka personally was placed in a position where an ace player is usually placed.

Vanguard = Kuro
The vanguard position is the current fad of where an ace player was placed under the assumption that an ace would get lots of points and make it easier for the team. Out of the 3 that knew Nodoka, Kuro has the highest point getting points, when her power wasn't being blocked that is.

Lieutenant = Ako
The traditional position of the ace wherein an ace player can bolster a flagging team performance or help defend or further down the lead. Ako has the fastest and well skillful style of the Achiga so she should be a fit here since out of the 3 that knew Nodoka, she has the most situational/strategic awareness. Kuro didn't even notice that her win was arranged by Toki and Kirame and for some reason I have a feeling that Shizuno relies on GUTS more than strategy.

Captain = Shizuno
The captain position is the anchor position. It is a good place to put the ace since it ensures that no matter how far down you are someone is always around to do the comeback and if you're ahead, you can have the peace of mind that someone will defend those points in the end. Its also the most stressful position barring the vanguard. Shizuno, out of the 3 that knows Nodoka, is the better choice since her personality of being a "determined idiot (like most shounen heroes)" at least makes her immune to despair and stress.

As we can see, Achiga's line-up makes perfect sense under the the assumption that Nodoka is Kiyosumi's ace and Achiga want to meet up with her on mahjong table.

Unfortunately for Achiga, Nodoka isn't Kiyosumi's ace and she plays the vice-captain position. As the recent chapter shows vice-captain was a position rarely placed by the ace.

In fact, Shindouji and just one other school in the whole tournament put their ace in the vice-captain position. And in Shindouji's case it was more to take advantage of Marui and Himiko's ability.

So yeah.

Last edited by night_sentinel; 2012-11-21 at 10:26. Reason: spelling
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 10:21   Link #2377
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahelo View Post
Before winning their prefectural tournament, Achiga didn't give me the impression that they made prior research on other team outside Nara. Most part of chp 3/ep 3 seems to indicate this. For instance, when Shizu burst into the clubroom with newspaper telling everybody how Nodoka’s school made it into the national, Ako then commented on how she never heard of Kiyosumi, and that Kazekoshi is a more popular school in Nagano when it comes to Mahjong. Then there is the training camp, Shizu was amazed to know that someone in Kiyosumi, whom she thought was Nodoka, can even manage to beat someone as good as Koromo in which Koromo had to correct her that that person was Saki. Akado also didn't expect much out of the rest of Kiyosumi to top Ryuumonbuchi, so I doubt she bother making much research. Let alone their key players, I don't think they even know much about Kiyosumi at all aside from school where Nodoka now attend. Can't blame them though since before the team made it in the national, the only thing notable about Kiyosumi is Nodoka middle school accomplishment and her two lumps of fat.

EDIT: Ah, it looks like night_sentinel already got most of the point covered.

Double EDIT: Speaking of which, Akado said that Ako isn't fitting for club prez because she's cunning. Ironically, Hisa is even more cunning and a better prez so to say.

Last edited by teja208; 2012-11-21 at 11:01.
Old 2012-11-21, 11:12   Link #2378
night_sentinel

Don't worry about it teja208, more supporting data is always good.

On the Kiyosumi vs. Achiga debate... I think Kiyosumi is stronger than Achiga. Position wise, if we take Yuuki and Mako's improvement in consideration, then it is possible that every single Kiyosumi player is better than their Achiga counterpart. Of course, Achiga would probably put a fight and we don't know what the other 2 players in the table could do. But at the end of the day I think Kiyosumi is the stronger team.

On the data available to both teams...

As the Green one said Achiga has more statistics on Kiyosumi since Achiga didn't have individual records while Kiyosumi do. Every member of Kiyosumi participated in the individual match after all.

But, I agree on Felyndiira more on this matter. Besides, Kiyosumi members inherent unpredictability. I do wonder how much of those statistics on Kiyosumi back on the prefecture tournament is accurate.

Yuuki and Mako's statistics are now confirmed to be unreliable. Nodoka's stats might be reliable but that's kinda the hallmark of her play - 100% efficiency like a computer. On Hisa, we don't know how much she has improved since she had a crisis last match.

On Saki, where do I even start. Saki's data is ridiculously unreliable especially her individual record. Saki was not even trying on the first day. And on the second, half of her records were of her doing +/- zero.

In fact, if you just look at Kiyosumi's match results for their team battles - you can't even tell you who was the most dangerous of them is. Just to show how badly their score fluctuate, I'll list who among them has the greatest plus points and the greatest minus.

First battle :
Highest scorer : Yuuki + 49,600 (though Saki's score might be higher.)
Lowest scorer: Hisa +14,500

Prefecture finals :
Highest scorer
: Hisa +39,500
Lowest scorer Mako -19,500

Quarter finals:
Highest scorer : Mako +12,900
Lowest Scorer : Hisa - 15,100

Looking at Kiyosumi's battle result is lol worthy.

Last edited by night_sentinel; 2012-11-21 at 11:36. Reason: grammar
night_sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 11:54   Link #2379
King-Slayer

It was probably better for none of the 3 achiga girls that knew Nodoka face her. Could result in trying to hard or playing with emotion rather than logic, which could be a disaster.
King-Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-21, 12:44   Link #2380
teja208
Critical fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by King-Slayer View Post
It was probably better for none of the 3 achiga girls that knew Nodoka face her. Could result in trying to hard or playing with emotion rather than logic, which could be a disaster.
You mean something similar to when Touka faced her during the prefectural final? At least, Kuro would definitely set her eyes on a certain part.

IMO Shizu and Ako are pretty much better off with their respective positions. Shizu needs to prove herself worthy for Nodoka by defeating Saki and she's pretty much looking forward to it. As for Ako, I bet she can learn a thing or two from her match against Hisa, assuming that the latter is in her top form.

Tags
mahjong, nopan, seinen, sport, yuri