AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2013-02-13, 17:52   Link #1
Draelren

Looking for suggestions

So my fiance and I are looking for anime to watch. I am far more picky about what I like however. She is more into comedy herself, whereas I like realistic style drawings with a "slice of life" added into it.

My collection:
- Initial D
- Wangan Midnight
- Gundam Wing
- 08th MS Team
- RahXephon
- Wolf's Rain
- Golden Boy
- Tenchi Muyo
- Welcome to the NHK

Any suggestions to add to our collection? Thank you in advance!
Draelren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-13, 18:09   Link #2
jedinat

Check out Kurau Phantom Memory... has some slice of life aspects in addition to the science fiction/action.

For some comedy... Shinryaku! Ika Musume and Nichijou are pretty good. Light, episodic.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-14, 01:26   Link #3
Draelren

Kurau Phantom Memory looked good IMO, the other two didn't really appeal to me styling wise.
Draelren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-14, 01:38   Link #4
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draelren View Post
Kurau Phantom Memory looked good IMO, the other two didn't really appeal to me styling wise.
The latter were suggestions for your fiance I suppose, lol. I took the "whereas I" to mean you had separate requests.

Could you be a bit more specific about what you're looking for? Do you like action? SF? Fantasy? Or are you just looking for slice of life? How do you define "realistic"-- just no super-deformed characters/classic shoujo style drawings?
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-14, 08:06   Link #5
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'll start with Nodame Cantabile about two young adults attending a classical music conservatory in Tokyo. One of them is the handsome and talented but arrogant Chiaki Shinichi who wants to become a conductor like his idol Sebastien Viera. The other is the ditzy but equally talented Noda Megumi (or "Nodame" for short), a pianist who lives in the next-door apartment to Chiaki. This is a light-hearted romantic comedy that nevertheless ventures in more serious matters like dedication and professionalism. You can want it streamed with English dubbing or in the original Japanese with fansubs. I recommend the latter because the Japanese actors are first-rate, and Sony didn't bother to translate signage and the like in the dub.

Seirei no Moribito mixes a supernatural adventure with political intrigue and the occasional slice-of-life episode. It boasts a remarkable heroine, 30-year-old Balsa, a spearwielding bodyguard, who becomes tasked with protecting a young prince from assassination. Much more drama than comedy in this one.

Another dramatic possibility might be Monster. It has a variety of strong characters and an compelling plot. It's set in Germany and Eastern Europe in the immediate aftermath of the fall of the Berlin Wall. The main character is a Japanese neurosurgeon practicing in Germany who operates to save the life of a young boy who later becomes a serial killer.

Next, how about Chihayafuru, a story about a high-school girl who becomes obsessed with a obscure Japanese card game/sport called karuta. The first season is complete, while the second just began a few weeks ago. This show just won our AnimeSuki Choice Award for Best Series of 2012. There's a hint of romance in season one with perhaps a bit more on the horizon in the current season.

Finally if you have any interest in a high-quality intelligent supernatural horror show, I'll suggest "Bakeneko" and its sequel Mononoke.

There are a number of threads in this forum about things to watch together with a spouse, fiance, gf/bf, etc. Here are two for starters that came up from a search of this forum for "wife":
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=107734
http://forums.animesuki.com/showthread.php?t=114593
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote