AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-08-14, 01:59   Link #1
Raseru

Giants with devil fruit abilities?

I'd love to see that. Have the authors not thought of this or have I forgotten about something?

Or maybe they don't think the mugiwara crew is strong enough to take on such a task.

Imagine like a rock solid giant, sounds almost unbeatable.
Old 2006-08-14, 02:03   Link #2
Chuixupu
Shikachu

I wouldn't doubt that Eiichiro Oda has thought of it. But fact is, we haven't seen all that many giants, period. We may see a giant DF user in the future.
Old 2006-08-14, 02:14   Link #3
marvelB

Yeah, a giant DF user probably will come around... most likely whenever the crew gets to Elbaf.

And on a sorta related note, I'm wondering if we'll see a merman DF user at some point....
Old 2006-08-14, 02:28   Link #4
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB
And on a sorta related note, I'm wondering if we'll see a merman DF user at some point....
Considering that mermen like to live in the water, and Devil Fruit users cannot swim...

Nah.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Old 2006-08-14, 02:59   Link #5
Raseru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Considering that mermen like to live in the water, and Devil Fruit users cannot swim...

Nah.
Haha, good point
Old 2006-08-14, 03:21   Link #6
Ogata
Underling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raseru
Haha, good point
What about that Merman that Arlong use to be with? I forgot his name...isn't he one of the Shichibukai or just a wandere like White beard?
Old 2006-08-14, 03:34   Link #7
Slayerx

A giant DF user is not hard at all to see... it would be rather insane since Giants have insane power by nature alone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogata
What about that Merman that Arlong use to be with? I forgot his name...isn't he one of the Shichibukai or just a wandere like White beard?
Jimbei, he's a Shichibukai, and i think we can saftely assume that he also swims like other mermen

Mermen are already naturaly incredibly strong and the work best when they can take to the water... it doesn't make sence for tem to trade their kinship with water for a devil fruit power
Old 2006-08-14, 05:13   Link #8
Raseru

Not to mention, for giants, they could fall in pools and lakes and such, and chances are it wouldn't effect them cause they're so big that it'd only go up to their legs.

It seems like Luffy can stand water as long as he's not half way in or so. I wonder what would happen if he fuusen'd (balloon) to stay above the water.
Old 2006-08-14, 05:26   Link #9
Slayerx

Quote:
Not to mention, for giants, they could fall in pools and lakes and such, and chances are it wouldn't effect them cause they're so big that it'd only go up to their legs.
Well, that's fine if they like being stuck on a single island... i mean, once they start traveling out at sea, their size won't really save them from drowning in the ocean (except in shallow water)...

Quote:
It seems like Luffy can stand water as long as he's not half way in or so. I wonder what would happen if he fuusen'd (balloon) to stay above the water.
Luffy would be safe... I'm scetchy on details, but i believe it was said that the hammer/powerless effect of water kicks in when the DF user is half way under... Using fussen to stay ontop of the water would probably work since he wouldn't go more than a few inches under...
Old 2006-08-14, 06:14   Link #10
airsBlue

Send a message via MSN to airsBlue
considering there size maybe the giant can't gain DF abilites ..
well they already too strong without DF, also merman are strong without the need for DF.
Old 2006-08-14, 10:21   Link #11
marvelB

I really don't think that it would be all that far-fetched for there to be a merman DF user. Imagine if a really dumb one (like Hachi) ate a DF... then it would lead to a hilarious running gag of said merman jumping into the ocean to swim but always sinking to the bottom (since he's a merman, he still wouldn't have any trouble breathing underwater). I can easily imagine Oda doing something like that. XD
Old 2006-08-14, 12:19   Link #12
cheese4u
da big boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB
I really don't think that it would be all that far-fetched for there to be a merman DF user. Imagine if a really dumb one (like Hachi) ate a DF... then it would lead to a hilarious running gag of said merman jumping into the ocean to swim but always sinking to the bottom (since he's a merman, he still wouldn't have any trouble breathing underwater). I can easily imagine Oda doing something like that. XD
That's a good point, he may not be able to swim but it won't be dangerous to him because he can breathe underwater.
Old 2006-08-14, 15:49   Link #13
airsBlue

even though he can breathe underwater, he can't swim or do anything .. he will become like a rock at the bottom of the ocean until someone find him or he die from lack of food.
i doubt any merman will sacrifice a power for another power with disadvantages.
Old 2006-08-14, 16:05   Link #14
cheese4u
da big boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by airsBlue
even though he can breathe underwater, he can't swim or do anything .. he will become like a rock at the bottom of the ocean until someone find him or he die from lack of food.
i doubt any merman will sacrifice a power for another power with disadvantages.

Merman probably rarely fight under water because all the things to be conquered are above water. I'm sure the ultimate goal of every bad guy is to be the ruler of many if not all things. So it wouldn't surprise me at all if Jimbei ate a cursed fruit. You said you doubt any merman would sacrifice power for another power with disadvantages. Merman aren't invinsible, even Usopp beat a merman. Your telling me that a merman would rather fight with his hands and feet then have the ability such as turning someone into ice like Aokiji, or have gum gum powers like Luffy? You don't think there is one merman that has the power of a cursed fruit? Comeon we've seen guns and swords with the power of a cursed fruit. Why would a merman having the power of a cursed fruit be so farfetched.
Old 2006-08-14, 17:04   Link #15
I love waffles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by airsBlue
considering there size maybe the giant can't gain DF abilites ..
well they already too strong without DF, also merman are strong without the need for DF.
If a gun and a sword can get df abilites than anyone/thing can get df powers.
Old 2006-08-14, 17:43   Link #16
Slayerx

Quote:
So not much more than comical relief, kinda like that skypeia priest... ya i guess i can see that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese4u
Merman probably rarely fight under water because all the things to be conquered are above water. I'm sure the ultimate goal of every bad guy is to be the ruler of many if not all things. So it wouldn't surprise me at all if Jimbei ate a cursed fruit. You said you doubt any merman would sacrifice power for another power with disadvantages. Merman aren't invinsible, even Usopp beat a merman. Your telling me that a merman would rather fight with his hands and feet then have the ability such as turning someone into ice like Aokiji, or have gum gum powers like Luffy? You don't think there is one merman that has the power of a cursed fruit? Comeon we've seen guns and swords with the power of a cursed fruit. Why would a merman having the power of a cursed fruit be so farfetched.
Is it really all that rare to fight underwater? the grandline is moslty waters, and a lot of battle occurs out at sea; out there, the mermen gain a HUGE advantage due to their abilities in the water... Instead of relying on ship battles with cannons mermen can jsut swim quickly out towards the enemy ship and then either board if they want to capture it, or sink it from underneth with no way for the ship to defned itself... Out at sea a merman is possibly the worst nightmare of a DF user (after seastone that is)... A strong merman can easily sink the ship the DF user is standing on, and while it's underwater, there is little most DF users (heck most humans) could do to stop them... before they know it the DF user is heading for a watery grave...

I wouldn't be surprised if that's waht Jimbei(pirate) was feared for... With Shcikibukai level strength, he could sink ships with ease, and the ship's crew wouldn't be able to do anything to protect themselves... most DF users can't fight something underwater... and if Jimbei is a monster on land, he'll be a demon in the sea, so even most powerful humans wouldn't stand a chance if they tried to fight him in the water... Very few poeple are capable of fighting something like that, and Jimbei would loose that huge advantage if he ate a DF

The merman have a serious advatage when it comes to battling out at sea, it's hard to give that up... Sure everything that's worth conquering is on land, but most things worth conquering also relies heavily on the waters surrounding them... Control the water, and you can seriously weaken them; making the land battle even easier... not to mention, the best way to rule multiple islands is by controling the water between all of them...

Quote:
If a gun and a sword can get df abilites than anyone/thing can get df powers.
"can" does not translate to "would"
Old 2006-08-15, 00:11   Link #17
airsBlue

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese4u
Arnolg didn't have any DF power but he was planing on conquering the world .. but that is not imporant ... i think the merman have an island underwater where they live maybe even several ones, they can control the area under or above the water by blocking.
grandline mostly a water area so they have more advantage when fighting DF, and i doubt anyone would live far from water. even if they live in island above the water they will at least have a park like what arlong did.

and as u can see from when the WG called the Shichibukai, jumbie didn't go probably he was busy or even because he didn't like going out of the sea.

anyway if the question is if there any chance for them to have DF, yeah there is but i doubt that ... actually there is no need for them to have any.

also the real answer .. is if roger, shanks, mihowk and whitebeard don't have DF (i think they have) then i think the merman should be stronger than them.

also eating DF make u hammer in water, it also can mean that DF don't like water creatures so if any water creatures ate DF he wil explode or die ... it wasn't meant for them.
Old 2006-08-15, 00:15   Link #18
Raseru

Well it's not like luffy ate the devil fruit on purpose. It could happen, there is also a large amount of dumb mermans.

Plus if they got their hands on like an elemental one, they might consider. Imagine being made out of electricty, you could probably bring ships down with ease, not to mention you couldn't be pierced, you could hear peoples plots, etc.

being a merman is a big plus, but it in no way can surpass certain devil fruits
Old 2006-08-15, 01:00   Link #19
Slayerx

Quote:
Well it's not like luffy ate the devil fruit on purpose. It could happen, there is also a large amount of dumb mermans.
Well, if they're was one stupid enough to eat it... well... they're probably standed on the bottom of the ocean by now

Bob the merman: "yuck, that was some nasty tasting fruit, i think i'll go swim it off"

Quote:
Plus if they got their hands on like an elemental one, they might consider. Imagine being made out of electricty, you could probably bring ships down with ease, not to mention you couldn't be pierced, you could hear peoples plots, etc.

being a merman is a big plus, but it in no way can surpass certain devil fruits
key word there is "certain"... why? because there is no way to be "certain" what kind of power you'll get when you eat a devil fruit
Even normal humans take a moment to question weather or not to gamble with a devilfruit, but they don't have as much too loose from becoming hammers as mermen do
Old 2006-08-15, 08:08   Link #20
cheese4u
da big boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx
So not much more than comical relief, kinda like that skypeia priest... ya i guess i can see that...

Is it really all that rare to fight underwater? the grandline is moslty waters, and a lot of battle occurs out at sea; out there, the mermen gain a HUGE advantage due to their abilities in the water... Instead of relying on ship battles with cannons mermen can jsut swim quickly out towards the enemy ship and then either board if they want to capture it, or sink it from underneth with no way for the ship to defned itself... Out at sea a merman is possibly the worst nightmare of a DF user (after seastone that is)... A strong merman can easily sink the ship the DF user is standing on, and while it's underwater, there is little most DF users (heck most humans) could do to stop them... before they know it the DF user is heading for a watery grave...

I wouldn't be surprised if that's waht Jimbei(pirate) was feared for... With Shcikibukai level strength, he could sink ships with ease, and the ship's crew wouldn't be able to do anything to protect themselves... most DF users can't fight something underwater... and if Jimbei is a monster on land, he'll be a demon in the sea, so even most powerful humans wouldn't stand a chance if they tried to fight him in the water... Very few poeple are capable of fighting something like that, and Jimbei would loose that huge advantage if he ate a DF

The merman have a serious advatage when it comes to battling out at sea, it's hard to give that up... Sure everything that's worth conquering is on land, but most things worth conquering also relies heavily on the waters surrounding them... Control the water, and you can seriously weaken them; making the land battle even easier... not to mention, the best way to rule multiple islands is by controling the water between all of them...
Fantastic speech , but you still haven't answered the one question. Do you think there is not a single merman in the show that has the power of df? It's ridiculous to completely rule out that there wouldn't be just because merman swim. We've seen humans, animals, and even objects with power of the cursed fruit, but a merman wouldn't because they have a better advantage in the sea. What if the merman who ate the cursed fruit is a captain like Arlong, couldn't he send his men to sink ships instead of him going hisself? Oh wait, Arlong did do that when the navy came. You know why? Because if your a captain and a bad guy most of the time you don't get your hands dirty until everything else fails. And btw I never said it was rare to fight underwater, I just said everything to be conquered is above water so I don't see any reason why one merman who ate the cursed fruit would have to cling to underwater battles so much. Think of all the element type DF users. We've seen five I beleive. Think of how powerful they were when Luffy fought them. Just in case you missed the battle let me tell you how all these guys did in their first encounter with Luffy.

Smoker-owned Luffy
Crocodile-owned Luffy
Trace-never fought in the series but said to be stronger by Luffy
Eneru-most likely would've owned Luffy except for the fact that Luffy is immune to his lightning due to his DF powers.
Aokiji-owned Luffy

Ok, now let's see how our boy Arlong did with his amazing swimming powers.

Arlong-one of the only main villains killed by Luffy

So do you still think a merman would pass up even an elemental df power, because he doesn't want to lose the ability to "swim really fast?"

Quote:
"can" does not translate to "would"
You know what I meant. Stop splitting hairs with my statements.
Closed Thread