AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Asatte no Houkou

Notices

Old 2006-10-09, 08:46   Link #41
Skane
Anime Snark

Interesting show. It has definitely caught my interest.
Old 2006-10-09, 12:22   Link #42
martino
makes no files now

This can be moved into fansubs I guess since Lunar has released the first episode.

The plot looks very interesting. I'll certainly keep on watching this as the plot can turn in many very interesting ways...
Old 2006-10-09, 12:55   Link #43
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Amazing atmosphere, so melancholic, yet beautiful. I am so hooked. I guess I could have watched this without sub and still loved it, the characters face are expressive without having stupid exaggerated features. And a kid who does not behave like an idiot to look cuter but wants to be treated as an adult is something I'd like to see more often in anime.

Matrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-09, 19:51   Link #44
Sinestra
ショ ン (^^)
*IT Support

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via MSN to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
definetly caught my attention i read about it in the Sep issue of Newtype. I didnt expect it to be as good as it was. I think i will stay tuned for this i need a lighthearted anime after all the depressing ones iv seen latley. Did anyone else think Karada was a total hottie when she grew up
Old 2006-10-09, 20:13   Link #45
Srin Tuar
無謀

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Did anyone else think Karada was a total hottie when she grew up
Seconded.

Another question that popped into my mind is what happens to Shouko.
I guess since its summer, they wont have to worry about sending her to school.
(A nice break from all the shows set in schools anyway)

But having strange kids come out of nowhere can raise eyebrows, custody isues, etc.
Perhaps they will resolve this by having the transformation end at the end of the summer, as hinted by the OP.

*edit:
I just rewatched ep 1. The やくそくひょう that karada writes is soo cute, it still makes me all watery eyed.

Last edited by Srin Tuar; 2006-10-09 at 20:26.
Srin Tuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-09, 20:14   Link #46
Dark`
The Terror of Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
definetly caught my attention i read about it in the Sep issue of Newtype. I didnt expect it to be as good as it was. I think i will stay tuned for this i need a lighthearted anime after all the depressing ones iv seen latley. Did anyone else think Karada was a total hottie when she grew up
Oh yeah, was she ever. Especially in that skimpy little outfit...

But yeah, a surprising first episode. Honestly, reading summaries and the synopsis of the show really didn't do it justice. I mean, it seemed like a decent show from all that, but watching it really gave it something a little more. Looks like it's another fall anime for me to follow, on top of Death Note, D. Gray Man, Kujibiki Unbalance and Negima!?...not to mention those I'm involved in helping put out.
Dark` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-09, 21:27   Link #47
i0td

I loved the overall mood of the first episode. It was very beautiful throughout, the transformation at the end as well. And I have to say that I actually really liked how they did that scene. It was magical yes, but I'm glad it wasn't anything outrageous, or explicit for that matter. Sometimes you just need to keep that mysteriously romantic element hidden. In addition, it didn't break the mood that we got acquainted with, meaning everything flowed smoothly from start to finish. The pacing of the story so far is excellent. It may seem slow relative to other series, but it is a perfect complement to both the type of story we are introduced to and the accompanying atmosphere of the series.

Thanks Lunar for subbing.
i0td is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-09, 22:19   Link #48
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

It's directed by Katsushi Sakurabi, one of the few names I've cared to remember because he directed Shingetsutan Tsukihime. And with the unique story, I think this will be added to my 'going-all-the-way-anime' list.

OMG. JC STAFF. KATSUSHI SAKURABI. YEP.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-09, 23:18   Link #49
Busaiku Chama
爆発

Very great show.
I was kind of bummed by this season (not much stuff that I'm into, at least of what I've seen), but this caught me by surprise and I love it.
Old 2006-10-10, 02:04   Link #50
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

JC Staff seems to have an eye for good moe-drama anime, like Honey and Clover or Mahoraba. Now it's Asatte no Houkou.

The first episode covered the first 3 chapters of the manga, but they flipped around events a bit. They kept the atmosphere quite well though.

AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Maceart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-10, 02:11   Link #51
NeoSam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maceart View Post
JC Staff seems to have an eye for good moe-drama anime, like Honey and Clover or Mahoraba. Now it's Asatte no Houkou.
I love JC Staff, they also brought us the moe~ anime Shakugan no SHANA and Zero no Tsukaima.

JC Staff are now one of my favourite animation studios

Can't wait for the second episode to come out >.<
Old 2006-10-10, 02:43   Link #52
Kensuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam View Post
Can't wait for the second episode to come out >.<
Me too. Talk about cliff hanger end... funny to see how everyone will react to their new situation.
Spoiler:
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-10, 02:52   Link #53
Lilith
Your average fangirl

Regarding the language between the two siblings...

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who was surprised by the politeness between the two. I wonder if it's normal for a brother to call his little sister with the "-san" suffix? Perhaps only in certain sitiuations, like, if they're related from one parent side or not related at all or something. :O

Also, I wonder how old is Karada? She and Amino are in the same grade or just same school?
Old 2006-10-10, 05:14   Link #54
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Asatte no Houkou - 01 Summary (and some fanboying)

I ... am simply ... WOW, that was a great first episode. I want more. I want more. I want more.
Old 2006-10-10, 06:01   Link #55
NeoSam

Here's the cover of the first DVD:

Release day: 26/1/2007

And how about some moe~ moe~ phone cards (LOL)

Old 2006-10-10, 06:15   Link #56
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

You know, I don't know what to think of that. But, there's no question, I'm seriously intrigued.

I loved the way everything was presented. The art, the music and particular the deliberately slow pacing was spot-on. The characters seemed intriguing, not straightforward and certainly not cookie-cutter. And the focus seemed to be character and relationship driven, which is usually a step to getting my thumbs up more often than not. It very much looked like the sort of series that would take the right steps and do the right thing to get my thumbs up... until the plot twist.

I can't complain about the plot twist itself, since I don't know how it's going to turn out. It's not totally unique, but it's not the standard gender-bender crap, which is ok. No, my problem with the plot twist is the fact that, for the majority of the episode the plot seemed grounded in realism and then, bang: supernatural plot-twist. I hated it when they did it in Chevalier (in fact, I haven't seen an episode of that since... I will watch more of that eventually, just not atm) and I didn't totally approve of it when they did it here. I suppose I just like foreshadowing in these situations... hints earlier in the piece that things aren't going to be totally realistic and that the premise is going to have supernatural elements because it just irks me a little when they aren't, after my expectations had been build up otherwise.

Oh well, there's a lot they can do with this, given how interesting the characters are. I just hope they don't trivialize the whole thing and go down the trite road of aiming for cheap laughs at the characters struggling to come to terms with meaningless hurdles of coping with their new bodies, ala a Rob Schneider film. That would be a recipe for instant fail. But I am intrigued by this anime. Which is more than I can say about a lot of other titles this season, unfortunately.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-10, 06:22   Link #57
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorrow-K View Post
I just hope they don't trivialize the whole thing and go down the trite road of aiming for cheap laughs at the characters struggling to come to terms with meaningless hurdles of coping with their new bodies, ala a Rob Schneider film.
Maybe in episode 3 they'll become staplers!

Actually I can find all the non-supernatural drama I could possibly desire outside of the realm of anime. I am very glad to see a show that addresses more imaginative problems. Considering how real and well developed these characters are with only a single episode, I have faith that we'll see something interesting with how this change develops their personalities. I'm expecting it will be more like Tom Hanks than Rob Schneider.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-10, 06:23   Link #58
niwasatou
mind the gap
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to niwasatou
Wow. The first episode certainly was amazing.
I'll definitely watch this. Oh yes, I'll watch this. Karada was so moe~ with her white ribbons!
(Not to say that older Karada wasn't moe, mind you. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith
I'm glad I wasn't the only one who was surprised by the politeness between the two. I wonder if it's normal for a brother to call his little sister with the "-san" suffix? Perhaps only in certain sitiuations, like, if they're related from one parent side or not related at all or something. :O
Hmm, I thought it was because she doesn't want to be treated like a child, but maybe I'm wrong..
niwasatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-10, 06:30   Link #59
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa View Post
Maybe in episode 3 they'll become staplers!

Actually I can find all the non-supernatural drama I could possibly desire outside of the realm of anime. I am very glad to see a show that addresses more imaginative problems. Considering how real and well developed these characters are with only a single episode, I have faith that we'll see something interesting with how this change develops their personalities. I'm expecting it will be more like Tom Hanks than Rob Schneider.
Good, someone got it. You know, I'm almost embarrassed I made that comment now. Not even Kashimashi went down that road, and that wasn't exactly a great anime. This has done almost everything right after one episode and shown signs of an intriguing anime to come. It be a huge underestimate of the potential of this series to expect it to go down the easy no-brain path.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-10, 08:26   Link #60
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

The easy no-brain path reminds me of School Rumble Ni Gakki. YUCK.

I hope they don't do it that way ... I'd cry.

Tags
drama, fantasy, j.c. staff, romance, seinen, slice of life, supernatural