AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2008-04-02, 12:40   Link #1
musouka

Himitsu -Top Secret- The Revelation

I was surprised to see that this series has a complete lack of buzz here. Shimizu Reiko is one of my favorite mangaka, and I nearly keeled over in shock when I heard one of her series had been chosen to be animated. It's definitely my number one anticipated show this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by animeNfo
The ninth forensic lab of the National Research Institute of Police Science, called Dai Ku (the 9th), uses technology to reproduce images of when the victim was alive from memories residing in the brain to solve difficult cases. This is the story of Maki, the leader of Dai Ku, and Aoki, a newcomer.

Everyone has a secret in his mind. This anime shows the agonies of the investigators who have to know these secret unwillingly.
I think nearly every synopsis I've seen of the show/manga has made it seem slightly dry, so I can't blame people too much for letting it fall off their radar, but I think writing it off entirely is a mistake. It's more about the ramifications this power would create more than "murder mysteries", with a wonderful emphasis on character development.

One of the things I like best about the manga is the attention to detail. In the first story, for example, how certain people don't look the same as they do in photographs when dealing with the murder victim's memory--because of the way he saw them.

Hakusensha's Official Site - Free online preview of the first chapter here.
NTV's Official Site

Last edited by musouka; 2008-04-02 at 18:05. Reason: mistake in the url
musouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-02, 15:09   Link #2
BluWacky
尻の竜

Believe me, Himitsu isn't off my radar in the slightest - although it's probably not top of my list, it's definitely pretty high up there.

The problem as I see it is that there's been very little publicity for the anime and virtually no-one's read any of the manga (although plenty of people have probably read scans of Moon Child and Kaguya Hime at least). I'd hoped we might have some tiny screenshots or a glimpse of an advert by now - maybe something tacked on the end of the last episode of Nougami Neuro? - but we've got no visual or aural stimulation to interest people who haven't heard of the series before. In fact, out of all the anime starting in April, it's the ONLY one that I haven't seen a trailer for anywhere on the Net (excluding kid's shows and sequels, and most of those have trailers or adverts). Very curious!

Maybe once the show's actually started (and I'm sure someone will sub it in this day and age) there'll be a bit of buzz. Of course, if the show turns out to be rubbish then I guess it'll fall at the first hurdle; my biggest worry is the animation quality as Madhouse have FIVE new shows starting in April (admittedly Chii's Sweet Home probably isn't very resource-intensive, but Kaiba is likely to get all the artsy animators at Madhouse working on it and Alison and Lillia is likely to have a hefty wodge of cash behind it), but I'm sure that the story at least will prove interesting.

Last edited by BluWacky; 2008-04-02 at 15:54. Reason: A most curious observation.
BluWacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-02, 18:04   Link #3
musouka

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluWacky
The problem as I see it is that there's been very little publicity for the anime
I've noticed that too. Frankly, it's a little confounding. Six days before the first episode premieres and the official site doesn't even have character profiles? I'm really hoping this doesn't mean it's an afterthought in terms of budget and writing, but it's hard not to read it that way in light of, as you said, a complete lack of trailers and promotional material.

Plus that art they do have still makes me cringe a little every time I see it...
Old 2008-04-02, 22:16   Link #4
Zu Ra
✖ ǝʇ ɯıqnɾl ☆

The story seems really interesting , kind of surprised at the lack of buzz here at AS
Old 2008-04-02, 22:31   Link #5
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Not even Tomokazu Seki could generate interest in this title here. That's sad.

Oh well, maybe this isn't a high priority Madhouse title even from Madhouse's perspective. No trailer. No website update...
Old 2008-04-02, 23:17   Link #6
musouka

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Not even Tomokazu Seki could generate interest in this title here. That's sad.
Maybe if it was Fukuyama Jun...
Old 2008-04-03, 10:16   Link #7
sapphire-pyro
C.C. Loyalist

Finally a thread for this series YAY!

I love the manga I am so watching the anime xD
sapphire-pyro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-03, 10:20   Link #8
Westlo
Lets be reality

The character designs in the only image I've seen from the anime look horrible compared to the manga. I didn't really enjoy the first story in the manga but maybe it will come across better to me in an animated form. Tomokazu Seki is also a big plus
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-03, 11:51   Link #9
milo001

the manga seems boring to me.but i'll take a look at the anime.
milo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 10:17   Link #10
musouka

And finally. Four days before it's set to air, we get a decent homepage, with a picture that doesn't make me weep for Shimizu's artwork quite as much.
Old 2008-04-04, 15:50   Link #11
guess

I have read this author's several manga in the past but I have to say, this one is not good.
Spoiler for manga:
Because of this, I really can't say I will be following this show.
Old 2008-04-04, 18:02   Link #12
musouka

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
I have read this author's several manga in the past but I have to say, this one is not good.
Spoiler for manga:
First of all, Shimizu is a she. Second of all, the first chapter has nothing to do with the rest of the series.
Spoiler for first chapter:
Old 2008-04-04, 22:36   Link #13
guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka View Post
First of all, Shimizu is a she. Second of all, the first chapter has nothing to do with the rest of the series.
Spoiler:
Old 2008-04-05, 10:48   Link #14
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by musouka View Post
Spoiler:
Old 2008-04-05, 20:21   Link #15
musouka

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Spoiler:
Spoiler:

And, if you're reading this series for the mysteries then you kinda missed the point. I'm not sure how "ripped from the headlines" they are or not--I know I haven't seen any of them to my knowledge, but the overwelming focus is how the technology affects other people, especially the officers in charge of the investigations.

Spoiler for chapter two:
The murders are the stage for the story, but they're not the main event. I mean, in chapter three, the "who and how" was almost a total afterthought compared to "how Aoki is trying to cope".
Old 2008-04-06, 12:23   Link #16
sapphire-pyro
C.C. Loyalist

Few days to go before the anime airs xD Disappointing that the trailer is not up UNTIL NOW! -_- The manga's terrific, the anime'd better be decent T_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
Spoiler for manga:
Spoiler for uuummm:
Old 2008-04-08, 16:58   Link #17
musouka

I suppose with my expectations so high, there was no way I could avoid being somewhat dissappointed, but this was pretty much a hot mess.

Even though the original chapter provides a fine intro to the concept, the writers decided to go for mostly all new material for the first episode. Lacking any of Shimizu's charm and subtlety, they go for a yawner that would fit right in with any C-rate crime drama.

Spoiler for episode one:
Old 2008-04-08, 23:31   Link #18
sapphire-pyro
C.C. Loyalist

Saw the OP and episode one and . . . .

WHAT HAS THE ANIME DONE TO MAKI???!!!! HE LOOKS HELL BETTER IN THE MANGA!!!!! AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! ;_;
Old 2008-04-08, 23:51   Link #19
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Once again, I am so glad that I haven't read the manga. I found it quite enjoyable, but everything musouka wrote does ring true.

What year is the show set in? The rooms full of computers look like 1970.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-09, 06:00   Link #20
Fevvers
a regular van veen

As I found the manga lackluster at best (sorry to say, I thought the pacing and melodrama were atrocious), I might end up liking the anime given the right execution. But then again, from hearing some of the comments here, maybe not.
Fevvers is offline   Reply With Quote