AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-08-18, 06:59   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 596 (manga)

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Well, break's over, so it's time to get back to business! Right now the whole chapter's out in spoiler pics and there's a short summary:

-Chapter title is "SPECTRUM". Interestingly enough, the splash page features Luffy, Ace, AND a grown-up Sabo. Even more interesting is that Sabo's face isn't fully shown.....

-Basically, we see most of the crew resolving to get stronger. Nami's still studying weather at the sky island. Brooke decides that his weak point is when he leans at a 45-degree angle, so he changes it to 40 degrees instead (LOL ). Meanwhile, it seems that Robin decides to meet up with Dragon after all, and Franky's wearing a new tiger hide to cover his skin while beating up the marines. Finally, we have Fatsopp deciding to improve his sniping prowess as he trains under Hercules(un)......

So looks like we've pretty much got a training chapter here! Heh, I like how Oda's teasing us with that splash page (I'm sure there's quite a good reason why we don't see Sabo's face there....). Franky looks pretty awesome with that tiger skin. I also love Brooke singing "Bone to be wild" during his scene (I wonder how leaning at a different angle will make him stronger....). Nami studying weather is no surprise, but I find it sorta strange that Robin changed her mind about meeting Dragon (guess she'll meet with adult Sabo before Luffy does, then). Usopp deciding to step up his game is great too, of course (I guess this is how he'll drop his poundage). Interestingly enough, Zoro's the only one we didn't get focus on. Guess we'll see more of his wacky baboon antics next chapter.....

Anyway, full chapter should be out by later today (sloppy translation and all), so we shouldn't have much longer to wait......
Old 2010-08-18, 07:48   Link #2
mugenTaichou
Sanity, you say?

I so love this. Oda is pretty good with teasing stuff. So Sabo is somewhere there....

Old 2010-08-18, 08:02   Link #3
james0246

Only tilting 40 degrees will ensure that Brooke's musical attacks will come out at a different angle...that is, if he used an instrument when he leaned over .

All in all, fairly average chapter...so far...
Old 2010-08-18, 08:15   Link #4
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

i guess zoro's part must be the best since he gets his own chapter next week?
Old 2010-08-18, 08:24   Link #5
margafred
ლ(́◉◞౪◟ ◉ ლ )

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Franky looks pretty awesome with that tiger skin.
Spoiler for LOL:

Seriously i couldn't hold my breath anymore... that face is so wrong in so many @#$%^&*() ways.. anyone can easily think of him eating a Neko neko no mi model Tiger.
Old 2010-08-18, 08:51   Link #6
kakakka

Quote:
Interestingly enough, the splash page features Luffy, Ace, AND a grown-up Sabo. Even more interesting is that Sabo's face isn't fully shown.....
And that there is no "S" in Ace's tattoo.
Old 2010-08-18, 08:55   Link #7
james0246

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakakka View Post
And that there is no "S" in Ace's tattoo.
Yeah, the pictures is a "What-If", and really shouldn't be considered as proof of Sabo's exsistence .
Old 2010-08-18, 10:10   Link #8
marvelB

^I'm aware if the "corrected" tattoo and that it's a "what-if" scenario, but as I said before, I still think the fact that Sabo's face is hidden would indicate some sort of significance for the character......

Anyway, reading aohige's translation, I'm really pumped about this chapter now. I'm particularly excited about Franky and Usopp's scenes. So it turns out that Vegapunk had a second lab where he invented a bunch of weapons (including cyborgs..... so you know what that means ). Usopp's is great as well since he resolves to lose weight and buff up (I still kinda doubt he'll get muscles, though....). It also turns out the island has plants that have various special uses. However, I think the best part is when Usopp says that he'll become the true king of snipers for Luffy's sake.....

BTW, I was actually pretty interested in Robin's scene, too. It's pretty cool that she wants to train under Dragon. As for Nami..... it looks like she's gonna learn all the weather patterns of the New World (she even learns about that thunder island that Urouge's crew arrives at a couple chapters back). It'll be all the more interesting to see Zoro's training next chapter.....
Old 2010-08-18, 10:56   Link #9
Rainbowman

Quote:
-Chapter title is "SPECTRUM". Interestingly enough, the splash page features Luffy, Ace, AND a grown-up Sabo. Even more interesting is that Sabo's face isn't fully shown.....
How could we tell if that's a grown up Sabo if his face isn't fully shown?

Quote:
-Basically, we see most of the crew resolving to get stronger. Nami's still studying weather at the sky island. Brooke decides that his weak point is when he leans at a 45-degree angle, so he changes it to 40 degrees instead (LOL ). Meanwhile, it seems that Robin decides to meet up with Dragon after all, and Franky's wearing a new tiger hide to cover his skin while beating up the marines. Finally, we have Fatsopp deciding to improve his sniping prowess as he trains under Hercules(un)......
Basically I find it disappointing that all the members has to remain where they are for their training. I don't mind Nami getting stronger, but I bet she's still mad at Luffy for not coming to her rescue. If it were me I'd make her rescue my top priority (you definitely do NOT want to keep such a female waiting for so long especially if delays make it worse). On the other members: With Brook, I don't get how changing degrees would make him better. With Robin, I wonder what kind of things she would discuss with Dragon? With Franky, wearing that tiger skin sounds both hilarious and interesting. With the fat Usopp, I wonder how Hercules could help improve Usopp's sniping skills.

With next week, besides Zoro getting stronger I hope Rayleigh takes Luffy to a different island to hide in especially if Rayleigh plans to keep Boa Hancock from getting anywhere near Luffy. After what Shakky told Rayleigh about Boa Hancock, he better keep Luffy away from that love-sick hag.
Old 2010-08-18, 11:00   Link #10
Gin
*Artist

Is Sanji absent from this chapter as well?
Old 2010-08-18, 11:04   Link #11
seiji_kun

Oda was just to lazy to draw a full grown Sabo ... And while I do hope he stays dead, we'll see in time if Dragon did fish him out of the water.

Well fairly predictable chapter since I think almost everyone knew what was going to happen with Brooke, Robin, Nami, Franky and Ussop. Can't wait to see next week's chapter when it's Zoro and hopefully back to Luffy cause these developments didn't really had me sitting on the edge of my seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin View Post
Yeah but he had his part last week so that was to be expected.
Old 2010-08-18, 11:08   Link #12
paradox13
zzz

Send a message via MSN to paradox13
It will be funny if Sabo turned out dead after all and Oda was actually trolling us the whole time.
Old 2010-08-18, 11:53   Link #13
John D.

Reading the translations, the chapter is hilarious, from Brook's initial decision to overcome his 45 degrees limit in order to become stronger to Nami's manipulation of the poor old researchers to how Franky creates legends of burning monster in Balgimore....

That being said, the thing that caught my interest most is the Revolutionary meeting Robin is on her way to. Hopefully we'll catch a glimpse of Dragon and the RA leaders there, and find out a little more about the Revolutionary Army (and Dragon) before the potential time skip.
Old 2010-08-18, 13:44   Link #14
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
How could we tell if that's a grown up Sabo if his face isn't fully shown?

Y'mean aside from the fact that he's even wearing the exact same outfit that he wore as a kid in Luffy's flashback?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John D. View Post
That being said, the thing that caught my interest most is the Revolutionary meeting Robin is on her way to. Hopefully we'll catch a glimpse of Dragon and the RA leaders there, and find out a little more about the Revolutionary Army (and Dragon) before the potential time skip.

Yeah, I'm also looking forward to seeing the rebel commanders, though I kinda wouldn't be surprised if we didn't see them until after the timeskip. Still, I wonder how Dragon will help Robin become stronger (will she also learn to utilize Haki)....?

And man, I'm looking forward to Franky's new bounty more than ever after this chapter. First he nukes Vegapunk's (first) lab, then he freaks out a bunch of marines with his burning tiger monster disguise. BTW, it also makes a lot of sense for Vegapunk to have a "backup" lab (at least I'd have the same idea if I were a super-genius...). Heh, I guess this means we're gonna see Franky the Pacifista post-timeskip.....

So yeah, the only updates left are Zoro's and Luffy himself. I'm actually surprised that I'm so excited about this chapter because training arcs usually bore me to tears, no matter how good the series (Hunter x Hunter comes to mind here). I guess that just goes to show how awesome Oda is with his "mad storytellin' skillz".
Old 2010-08-18, 14:09   Link #15
james0246

^I haven't read any translations yet, but why is it expected that Dragon will help to make Robin stronger? Specifically, just from the spoiler above, I thought she was simply going to talk to Dragon, not necessarily seek help in becoming stronger, just look for information on the New World and the markers for the Lost History.

That being said, this isn't really a training arc, its more like a chapter or two of characters deciding to read books (considering that is literally what Nami, Franky, and Chopper are doing; and Robin, by seeking information, is doing somethign similar). Only Luffy, Zoro, Sanji and Ussop seem to actually be training (and then there is whatever Brooke is doing ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gin View Post
Sanji is in every chapter (and every manga) as so long as we hold him in our hearts...
Old 2010-08-18, 14:17   Link #16
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by james0246 View Post
^I haven't read any translations yet, but why is it expected that Dragon will help to make Robin stronger? Specifically, just from the spoiler above, I thought she was simply going to talk to Dragon, not necessarily seek help in becoming stronger, just look for information on the New World and the markers for the Lost History.

Straight from the bluebeard's mouth:

Quote:
Robin: (Luffy, if I leave myself under your father's wings in the turning tide of the world... I wonder if I can be a little stronger.
I've never felt this way before, wanting to be stronger for someone else...!)

In other words, we've got ourselves a little character development here. While searching for the lost history may be of great importance to her, Robin clearly says that she wants to become stronger for Luffy's sake. And if she wants Dragon to help her achieve that goal, well..... one can only guess as to how she will improve while under the guidance of another "D".....
Old 2010-08-18, 14:44   Link #17
james0246

^Gothcha. I still don't think "stronger" necessarily means physical in this case, but it is still cool that she is going to learn under Dragon...
Old 2010-08-18, 15:36   Link #18
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

has it ever been mentioned if Dragon is on the same level as the Yonkou?

good for Robin though either way...
Old 2010-08-18, 16:18   Link #19
John D.

Do you mean Dragon's personal fighting strength or the level of his military forces? How strong he is personally is up to speculation (though he was strong enough to tell Smoker to jog off in Loguetown), but in military terms I'd expect him to be around equal to a Yonkou (considering the revolution army is viewed as a very large threat by the World Goverment).
Old 2010-08-18, 21:47   Link #20
Ravenblitz
|・ω・`)

Send a message via MSN to Ravenblitz
so new power-ups from our crew from the past chapters, correct me if i'm wrong or lacking

Nami : Weather Ball, Knowledge about the New Worlds weathers
Sanji : New-kama Kempo, 99 variants of attack cuisine and some Gayish stuff
Usopp : muscular body pop greens has many uses dunno what for but...
Brooke : some 40 degree musical techniques and a new song LOL
Franky : Tiger uppercut... LOL i guess new weapon inventions, possibly new powerups to sunny courtesy of vegapunk
Chopper : body buildup training/monster mode , power up meds, possibly new medical knowledge
Robin : not mentioned yet but meeting with Dragon...
Zoro : dunno yet but possibly training with shichibukai Mihawk?
Luffy : dunno yet