AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-04-20, 14:09   Link #61
Shirobane
Haruhiism Worshipper

Well cost-efficiency wise, HD-DVD has the advantage over Blu-Ray in my mind, but as was said before (in some other thread, I forgot which) Otaku in Japan really don't give a damn about prices, they just want their content. Which leads me to believe that the disc format wars accodring to anime, will be based upon what HD media that the Otkau will be watching in 2k7/2k8 rather than what the world is watching at that time.
Old 2006-04-20, 14:22   Link #62
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by panzerfan
Japan and US to share region encoding on Blu-ray...

yea. Ur right about that. Although that still translate to getting Japanese release without the woes of being in another region.

There is a region 4: Null. That setting seems to be what the initial PS3's will be released at, not sure though.

really? dammn.

DVD's on the other hands have Europe and Japan as the same region, with the US of A has it's own special region of it's own.

I guess they wised up, that it's better to have Japan and the USA grouped together.

the good fortune we have had is now over, curse you blu-ray! *sob*

*gets ready to buy a HD-DVD player*

Old 2006-04-20, 14:25   Link #63
Adigard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirobane
Which leads me to believe that the disc format wars accodring to anime, will be based upon what HD media that the Otkau will be watching in 2k7/2k8 rather than what the world is watching at that time.
That's certainly plausable, and I think it was accurate in the past... but I wonder if it holds true in today's market. I don't know either way... I haven't done enough research on the notion to do anything more than blindly guess ^^

I seem to recall seeing Laser Disc anime releases long after the rest of the world stopped releasing media on Laser Disc... it'll be interesting to see if that holds true in the modern era of DVR's, BT downloads, and the rise of the internet. The Japanese anime fan certainly has the money to get his voice heard... the average JP limited edition DVD release holds a TON more extras than anything you'll ever see released in the US, although even those extras seem to be tapering off a bit in content/quality.

We'll probably have to wait a few years to see which way the market's going... but it should be interesting ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO
I guess they wised up, that it's better to have Japan and the USA grouped together. the good fortune we have had is now over, curse you blu-ray! *sob*

*gets ready to buy a HD-DVD player*
IF you buy a HD-DVD player, and Kyo-Ani does release a Blu-Ray ver. of Haruhi, you won't be able to watch it ^^

Honestly, if the HD wars end with Blu-Ray winning (no guarantee either way) the single region might be a really good selling point (for at least a small portion of the market {US Anime fans ^^}).
Old 2006-04-20, 14:56   Link #64
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adigard

IF you buy a HD-DVD player, and Kyo-Ani does release a Blu-Ray ver. of Haruhi, you won't be able to watch it ^^
I won't be able to watch it anyway.

<- Lives in the UK

So screw you Blu-Ray!

*shakes fist at Sony*

If HD-DVD loses the FormWar I, theres always FormWar II!!

Holographic Versitile Disc FTW!!!
Old 2006-04-20, 15:03   Link #65
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

The major issue however is not just with Blu-ray, but the whole issue surrounding HDMI. HDCP certification is what I am more concerned with now...

Sure we might have a next-gen machine that can play the disc, but you need either a Graphics card that is actually rated to support HDCP and a display that will do it to enjoy anything in hi-def 1080i. If there's no video card today that has this certification, it would invariably mean that all digital enthusiests must upgrade at 2k7 and toss out whatever investments they made on 2k6 regarding HD hardware. Not many displays out there today actually are rated with HDCP ...

and guess what? All major OEM or tier-1 are branding their products as HD ready. I saw at least 3 different hardware reviewers all pointing to how that ATi and Nvidia do not have HDCP certification even on their latest boards... not only that, the displays out there that's actually able to do 1080i are expensive and it's only recently that the displays could be said as 'certified HDCP compliant'...

tsk.

Behardware's article indicates how that a reduced resolution will be displayed (or nothing at all) if the HDCP compliance is not met if even 1 of the display elements fail to have the certification. I don't like the sound of it one bit.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Last edited by panzerfan; 2006-04-21 at 12:09.
Old 2006-04-20, 17:08   Link #66
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Getting a little off-topic, so I'll just go against the flow for a bit here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinny Riddle
Spoiler:
Spoiler for 15,498:
But really, Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu is the most talked-about anime of the spring season. Source
There's an interesting chart showing the relationships between how many time the anime was mentioned in Hatena (a popular search and blogging service) vs the number of posts about it in 2ch. I translated the ones near the top:

Animes near top left: niche anime (popular among animaniacs or hardcore otakus)
Animes near bottom right: mainstream anime (popular among more casual viewers)
Animes near top right: popular anime (popular among casual viewers and animaniacs alike)
Animes near bottom left: unpopular anime (not popular)

Notice the numbers aren't spaced out linearly either, Haruhi's post count in 2ch is actually more than double than that of Higurashi's.
Old 2006-04-20, 17:19   Link #67
eVaX
Haruhiist

Send a message via AIM to eVaX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
There's an interesting chart showing the relationships between how many time the anime was mentioned in Hatena (a popular search and blogging service) vs the number of posts about it in 2ch. I translated the ones near the top:
I've found my new wallpaper.
Old 2006-04-20, 18:09   Link #68
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

what? even better then her almighty?! You would replace our Haruhi with such debased worship of numerical idol?

BURN THE INFIDEL!

*sends little gifs of flames at eVaX*

buuurn...BUUUrrrNNN.....

Old 2006-04-20, 22:47   Link #69
Sushi-Y
湯音カワユス~
*Scanlator

Some new CDs...
===================
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu Insertion Song 「God knows・・・」/ Hirano Aya / Release Date: 2006/06/21 - ¥1,200 (Amazon)
- Special Sleeve Case
- 2 Original Drawing Case Jackets
Tracks:
+ Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu Insertion Song 「God knows・・・」/ Hirano Aya (Suzumiya Haruhi)
+ Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu Insertion Song 「Lost My Music」/ Hirano Aya (Suzumiya Haruhi)
+ Asahina Mikuru no Bouken Episode00 Theme Song 「Koi no Mikuru Densetsu」/ Gotou Yuuko (Asahina Mikuru)

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu Character Song/ Hirano Aya (Suzumiya Haruhi) / Release Date: 2006/07/05 - ¥1,200 (Amazon)
- Original Jacket Illustration
Tracks:
+ Suzumiya Haruhi Character Song
+ c/w 「Hare Hare Yukai」 (Suzumiya Haruhi ver.)

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu Character Song/ Chihara Minori (Nagato Yuki) / Release Date: 2006/07/05 - ¥1,200 (Amazon)
Tracks:
+ Nagato Yuki Character Song
+ c/w 「Hare Hare Yukai」 (Nagato Yuki ver.)

Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu Character Song/ Gotou Yuuko (Asahina Mikuru) / Release Date: 2006/07/05 - ¥1,200 (Amazon)
Tracks:
+ Asahina Mikuru Character Song
+ c/w 「Hare Hare Yukai」 (Asahina Mikuru ver.)

===================
I'm gonna skip the money-robbing comments and move on... Insertion songs? And two of them too. Ooh, I wonder where they might get used...

Last edited by Sushi-Y; 2006-04-21 at 06:53.
Old 2006-04-21, 23:22   Link #70
SkyDragon
Addicted To Anime

Wow!! This look like a pretty popular series. Is it any good? As of now, would you recommend it?
Old 2006-04-21, 23:56   Link #71
Adigard

As of ep3 the forums here have more posts than School Rumble, which has 29 eps, 2 OVA's, and a manga release.

In Japan, the Haruhi thread counts on 2chan are rapidly pushing F/SN out of top place... and F/SN is on ep16... Both shows seem to have well over 64,000 posts by fans.

If you really want to know what people think, I'd recommend looking at the polls on the indivual ep threads... although I'm sure one of the fanboys will come in and tell you all about the show.
Old 2006-04-22, 05:34   Link #72
mr.muffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDragon
Wow!! This look like a pretty popular series. Is it any good? As of now, would you recommend it?
Yep I would recommend it. But I would advise against reading the episode poll threads. The temptation to click the spoiler tags is just too great...

Plus for me I feel it's better if I watch a few epsiodes of a new anime first before reading others comments. That way I won't be influenced by other's views on the anime.
Old 2006-04-22, 09:42   Link #73
celcius
Aspiring but lazy

Quote:
In Japan, the Haruhi thread counts on 2chan are rapidly pushing F/SN out of top place... and F/SN is on ep16... Both shows seem to have well over 64,000 posts by fans.
Fans and bashers.
Quote:
If you really want to know what people think, I'd recommend looking at the polls on the indivual ep threads... although I'm sure one of the fanboys will come in and tell you all about the show.
That's not a very good idea though... From the word FANboy, you already know you're going to get a very biased opinion. ^^;

Anyway, I'd recommend it, because Haruhi is omnipotent. It's funny and chaotic. By the looks of upto the current episode, it looks like it's also going to have a deeper plot. And Haruhi is omnipotent.
Old 2006-04-22, 10:38   Link #74
Adigard

Well... that's why I recommended looking at the polls... not the threads themselves ^^

In a perfect world you'd just browse the different anime blogs on the web until you found a blogger who's opinion you trust (Memento is my primary trusted blog although I download most of the new anime and form my own opinion). If you don't have a trusted blog you could wander over to ANN and get their review of the newest season (YMMV). If you don't want to do either of those... just follow the forum hype in recommending what shows you download.

But if the 1800 posts here in the past 27 days doesn't already tell you what the forum goers here think of the thread, well... askiog what they think will always work as well ^^
Old 2006-04-22, 11:01   Link #75
NeoSam

Ok since this is the Q & A thread.

If someone asks for the covers of Volume 8 of the novel and the first volume of the new manga, here they are:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSam
Volume 8 of the seinen novel Suzumiya Haruhi will be released on 1/5/2006 (May 1st, 2006).

Here its cover:

Seinen novel

The first volume of the new Suzumiya Haruhi manga will be released on 26/4/2006.

Here its cover:

Serialized in: Shounen Ace
Covers were added with the other covers of the novel and manga in this post.
Old 2006-04-22, 17:16   Link #76
Mecha_Trueno
餓鬼に興味ない、俺の好みは年上の美女だ

Location: Shitty old London. They must've been on drugs when they built this place, WTF were they smoking!!!
does anyone know what the 'm' stands for on their uniform?
Old 2006-04-25, 20:46   Link #77
Wandering_Youth
lost in wonder forever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi-Y
Spoiler:
Ha, I totally thought it was some cheap special FX they did for the movie.

I have a question, the people who made Suzumiya Haruhi are the same people who did Shakugan no Shana?
Old 2006-04-25, 21:03   Link #78
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

the same character designer /illustrator. KyoAni did AIR and alot of ppl have called ep1 Haruhi as the KyoAni revision of Shana.

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2006-04-28, 23:24   Link #79
viper

Quickie question

Spoiler:
Old 2006-04-28, 23:26   Link #80
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper
Quickie question