AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-08-02, 11:56   Link #61
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

sigh... I'm *very* dubious of the dub idea, but I will say I didn't totally hate the effort with Lucky*Star so I won't auto-hate the idea of K-On! having a dub. Never really matters as I always flick to the Japanese track anyway.
Old 2010-08-02, 11:59   Link #62
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

I just hope they use natural voices. Not trying to do shitty high pitched ones that can annoy viewers.
Old 2010-08-02, 13:50   Link #63
Squawks
PSI you from behind

like the japanese do????
Old 2010-08-02, 15:10   Link #64
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks View Post
like the japanese do????
Windpipes that are actually smaller seem to carry it off better.... I suppose they could hire english VAs who are actually smaller with naturally higher-piped voices, but the voice talent population is very thin in the english dub industry. The real point is you do what seems natural for the language/culture or the personality. Some things just don't work in English just like other things don't quite work in Japanese.
Old 2010-08-02, 15:25   Link #65
Tsumugi~
"This guy are sick."

After seeing this:

I lost all my hopes T_T
Old 2010-08-02, 15:40   Link #66
hinakatbklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana-tan87 View Post
After seeing this:

I lost all my hopes T_T
Can't think of anyone else doing a better job. Sounds fine to me, but there is room for improvement if she hasn't already done the singing for the DVD's/Blue Rays yet.

But I hope she doesn't use that version of Don't say Lazy for the DVD's. That sounded alittle off to me. She's going to have to improve alot to come even close to the original.

Last edited by hinakatbklyn; 2010-08-02 at 15:51.
Old 2010-08-02, 15:41   Link #67
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana-tan87 View Post
After seeing this:

I lost all my hopes T_T
hey, its okay, shes not bad and shes better in the studio
Cristina is gonna be an AMAZING Mio and Stephanie is gonna be an AMAZING Yui, I have the utmost confidence in both of them
all though the Original Voice cast will forever be better, you can't beat the Japanese voices for K-on!!
The original video was put on Private, so i fond a diffrent one :P
Old 2010-08-02, 19:34   Link #68
Milu

I have faith in Steph as Yui.
Old 2010-08-02, 21:27   Link #69
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Wow cant wait for the dub one after here that but I wounder how many delay this is going to have
Old 2010-08-03, 12:23   Link #70
Squawks
PSI you from behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Windpipes that are actually smaller seem to carry it off better.... I suppose they could hire english VAs who are actually smaller with naturally higher-piped voices, but the voice talent population is very thin in the english dub industry. The real point is you do what seems natural for the language/culture or the personality. Some things just don't work in English just like other things don't quite work in Japanese.
How is this relevant to the sound someone makes really. One can find high pitch voices annoying and actresses from both countries do this so really, your point is that small windpipes produces less annoying volume?
Old 2010-08-03, 18:34   Link #71
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks View Post
How is this relevant to the sound someone makes really. One can find high pitch voices annoying and actresses from both countries do this so really, your point is that small windpipes produces less annoying volume?
It doesn't sound affected or "falsetto" when it actually comes from a small person. Western voice actresses, good ones like Tress Macneille who happens to be relatively small, can do some amazingly high-pitched character voices without sounding affected. Sadly, that isn't the bracket that most anime english dub voice actors are in.

But really, if high-pitched voices annoy you so much, you're in a very odd hobby since the culture it springs from is inherent with them. High-pitched voices are long considered feminine in Japan, one might as well visit Texas and complain about the drawl and pitching cadence.

Last edited by Vexx; 2010-08-03 at 21:20.
Old 2010-08-03, 22:12   Link #72
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
The real point is you do what seems natural for the language/culture or the personality. Some things just don't work in English just like other things don't quite work in Japanese.
This pretty much sums up my view. I seldom find high pitched voices annoying unless they pass some certain threshold. Considering I actually find Yui's OPs addictive and keep rewatching them, I would say that threshold is pretty high. I do, however, find that what sounds perfectly natural to me in Japanese can sound rather jarring in English.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
Old 2010-08-03, 22:24   Link #73
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
I just listened to Christina Vee's rendition of "Don't Say Lazy" and... it sounds awful.

But I don't think it sounds bad because of her voice.

I think it sounds bad because it sounds like she's singing it at a karaoke bar. Her voice sounds "live" and the instrumental track sounds "studio" which just plain sounds dissonant.

If they replace all the songs with English versions, they absolutely need to re-record the instrumental tracks and the vocals in studio and then mix them from scratch.

Because the way that sounds, it is pretty horrible.

Edit: She doesn't sound too bad singing "Fuwa Fuwa Time," either.

I think I'm more forgiving of this than I normally would be because the original songs are pretty awful to begin with.

Edit 2: I'm still pissed that the supposed "rock band" Light Music Club sings pretty horrible sugary J-Pop, instead of some good Japanese girl-rock in the vein of someone like Nanase Aikawa. I've got half a mind to splice up a lot of the live-playing footage from the series and set it all to "Midnight Blue." (link related) (also, wow the song's actual music video is pretty fail lmao)
Old 2010-12-30, 16:45   Link #74
Frizo
Say what?

I seriously hope they put it in English over here in the states. I also hope they do better than that half-bummed job that Animax did. It didn't really sound right. I have hope for this, and maybe the kids in America will realize that the stuff they are watching is crap, and Bandai will bring over more! Eh?
Old 2010-12-30, 16:53   Link #75
Goggen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frizo View Post
I seriously hope they put it in English over here in the states.
It's getting a dub, we've known that for while a while now...
Old 2010-12-30, 17:03   Link #76
Afternoon Tea
*Artist

any word when its gonna come out?
Old 2010-12-30, 17:22   Link #77
Goggen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnAwesomee View Post
any word when its gonna come out?
Nope...
Old 2010-12-31, 00:13   Link #78
trenton_dawn
Silt

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Edit 2: I'm still pissed that the supposed "rock band" Light Music Club sings pretty horrible sugary J-Pop, instead of some good Japanese girl-rock in the vein of someone like Nanase Aikawa. I've got half a mind to splice up a lot of the live-playing footage from the series and set it all to "Midnight Blue." (link related) (also, wow the song's actual music video is pretty fail lmao)
Er, where are you getting the idea that it's supposed to be rock music? I might be understanding it wrong, but the keion-bu of Light Music Club is more similar to the meaning of pop music?
Old 2010-12-31, 02:09   Link #79
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenton_dawn View Post
Er, where are you getting the idea that it's supposed to be rock music? I might be understanding it wrong, but the keion-bu of Light Music Club is more similar to the meaning of pop music?
It is, hence why it's called 'Light Music Club' and not 'Rock Music Club'.
Old 2010-12-31, 03:23   Link #80
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trenton_dawn View Post
While I feel the same way as you, it seems that the rock genre for HTT is official (the magazine scans and even Ritsu said it herself in HTT II Album's introduction track).

I remember seeing a music thread here in AnimeSuki talking about the difference in western and Japanese music. One of the popular opinion there is that the Japanese music tend to mix everything together while the western music tend to stay true to a certain genre.

besides, the name of the club might be "Light Music Club" but remember Sawako's band? Death Devil's genre is metal XD
Closed Thread