AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2022-06-22, 20:41   Link #41
stray
Classic Tsundere
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
And Obi-wan had no idea Luke was at risk when he decided to spare Vader, so that argument doesn't fly.
I dunno, we saw his Force OCD kick in last episode and remind him he left the oven on at Tatooine; he knew something was happening or else he wouldn't have flown straight to Owen and Baru's place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagdPanther View Post
Amongst a great many terrible decisions from TCW series.
For what it matters I think that was a pre-Disney decision.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-23, 01:33   Link #42
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Age: 37
I for one liked this episode, weird contrivances aside, and liked the entire series as a whole. Personally I hope they stop with Obi-Wan here because he finally found his sense of closure for his past with Anakin for the most part, and honestly any more attempts to tell a Kenobi story might just feel padded inconsequential to the entire timeline. As for him not killing Vader in that fantastic final fight, well, I chalk that up to having to maintain continuity more than anything, but they really should have done a better job showing why he didn't kill Vader anyway.

As for Reva, she wasn't that well liked even if you remove the standard internet racism and misogyny, so I doubt she'd be getting her own show any time soon. However we are getting an Echo series for the MCU TV shows so you never know.

As for Maul, well, consider the fact that many characters get brought back for nothing more than nostalgia and fanservice and end up pointless and hollow. Dave Filoni's decision to bring Maul back was great for me because rather than his previous one note badass appearance making a comeback just for nostalgia and fanservice, we ended up getting an entire backstory to incredibly tortured individual with the distinction of being one of the few active characters to be present in central events from TPM all the way to 3 years before ANH.

Culminating in probably my second favorite saber duel in the entire series, a duel that lasted only 3 strikes. Say what you will but Maul got comeback treatment that is light years away from what a lot of comeback characters get.

Edit - One thing I hope people notice is that when Obi-Wan breaks Vaders helmet and Vader's voice oscillates between Hayden and James Earl Jones, the lightsaber hues changes depending which voice is dominant. Blue for Hayden, Red for JEJ. That's a brilliant bit of cinematography.

Last edited by MeoTwister5; 2022-06-23 at 01:44.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-23, 02:37   Link #43
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
That he was able to disable Vader doesn't mean killing him would have been easy from there, plus Luke was still at risk. And Vader doesn't rule the Empire either, Palpatine/Sidious does.
It's still so much easier than fighting him at his peak (which Obi already did). Vader could barely stand & barely breathe at the time. Decapitating him will only take 3 slices at most for Obi Wan. Enough time to catch up with Luke which he ultimately did nothing in the end until Reva brought him back herself .

Like Kanon said, your argument don't really fly. It's reaching a bit too far.
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-23, 03:29   Link #44
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 44
From what I recall of the Jedi, killing Vader at that point would be against the Jedi Way. Vader wasn't a threat to Obi-wan anymore, and the Jedi aren't supposed to be killing people. Peace, calm, killing in defense, not attack. Much like it was against the Jedi War for Anakin to kill Count Dooku in Revenge of the Sith. A Jedi would have let him live at that point. Also why Mace's go at Palpatine when he was "too weak" was argued by Anakin as not being the Jedi Way. Yoda would probably have let any of them live as well....at least until they attacked again, than he might kill them in self-defense.

In the years between this series and when Luke is training with Yoda, it is possible they have had a change of perspective.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-23, 04:06   Link #45
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Age: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
From what I recall of the Jedi, killing Vader at that point would be against the Jedi Way. Vader wasn't a threat to Obi-wan anymore, and the Jedi aren't supposed to be killing people. Peace, calm, killing in defense, not attack. Much like it was against the Jedi War for Anakin to kill Count Dooku in Revenge of the Sith. A Jedi would have let him live at that point. Also why Mace's go at Palpatine when he was "too weak" was argued by Anakin as not being the Jedi Way. Yoda would probably have let any of them live as well....at least until they attacked again, than he might kill them in self-defense.

In the years between this series and when Luke is training with Yoda, it is possible they have had a change of perspective.
I would argue that this pacifism is one of the main reasons why the Jedi and ultimately the Republic fell. IIRC Luke's post Empire era Jedi were less pacifist.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-23, 05:31   Link #46
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Republic of California
Age: 44
Wouldn't it be the opposite though? The Jedi fell into the trap that was the Clone Wars by becoming Generals and warriors for the Republic, against their Jedi Ways, which lead to them being even more blind to the danger they were in. Aggression is of the Dark Side, and they walked right into it due to a duty to the Republic that they didn't need to have done. Even as the war neared its end and they found evidence that the Clone Army was at least partly a creation of the Sith, the Jedi stubbornly held on to the need to Win the War before figuring out about the Clones.
__________________
Dessler Soto, Banzai!
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-23, 07:10   Link #47
stray
Classic Tsundere
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
It's still so much easier than fighting him at his peak (which Obi already did). Vader could barely stand & barely breathe at the time. Decapitating him will only take 3 slices at most for Obi Wan. Enough time to catch up with Luke which he ultimately did nothing in the end until Reva brought him back herself .
The entire premise of the fight (and the conversation with Palpatine afterwards) is that he left himself vulnerable because he's got tunnel vision where Obi-Wan is concerned, and we've seen how capable he is purely defending with Reva. He tore open the refugee ship like it was a candy wrapper, too. I sort of get the Scott Evil logic but IMO its a stretch to believe that Obi-Wan could truly end it in like 3 hits... especially since Sith are basically zombies now.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-23, 08:31   Link #48
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
The entire premise of the fight (and the conversation with Palpatine afterwards) is that he left himself vulnerable because he's got tunnel vision where Obi-Wan is concerned, and we've seen how capable he is purely defending with Reva. He tore open the refugee ship like it was a candy wrapper, too. I sort of get the Scott Evil logic but IMO its a stretch to believe that Obi-Wan could truly end it in like 3 hits... especially since Sith are basically zombies now.
For a revived Obi Wan, it shouldn't take a lot to decapitate a man who is already struggling to breathe & stand. And yes, I still stand by my "3 slices of Obi's lightsaber to lop Vader's head off"-argument at that very moment, but Obi squandered it due to some misguided code or pity or other BS.
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-23, 19:15   Link #49
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Nazareth, PA
Age: 34
Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
For what it matters I think that was a pre-Disney decision.
Oh, I know. I had big problems with TCW. The pre-Disney era was definitely not all good. I recognize the old EU was hit-or-miss. I know TCW was super popular, but, man... it went downhill (to me) big time after the first couple seasons. Just really jumped the shark.
__________________
A good plan violently executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future. –General George S. Patton, Jr.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2022-06-28, 18:22   Link #50
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:55.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.