AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Guilty Crown

Notices

Old 2011-10-13, 15:44   Link #441
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

I didn't expect anything, since I didn't really look for details about this series, but suffice to say, the first episode was very strong to me.

Although there were a few too much stills, and Shuu being a tad too much (the punk scene was sort of meh but heh), GC has quite the budget, and while not showing insane finish like F/Z, it has very smooth animations when needed, but the aesthetism and the mood were really excellent.
Even Inori's sexy appearance gave me more stylish sense than blatant fanservice (thank god no "OBVIOUS JIGGLING" and other stuff of that caliber).
Of course, the series deserves a special mention for its musical scores, especially the song at the start. No idea if it is the opening or not, but it was really enchanting to say the least, and complimented quite well the mood.
The story wasn't anything revolutionnary or pretentious, but it has potential to lead to quite a blast in term of entertainment.

Probably one of the best first episodes I've watched recently. If production IG can keep it up, I will seriously consider this series as "must watch" along with F/Z.
Old 2011-10-13, 16:06   Link #442
Nerroth
NePoi!

There are some nice wallpapers/art pieces/etc on the official JP site; plus what I might guess to be the first of a series of 4koma strips!

(Any idea what it says?)
Old 2011-10-13, 16:07   Link #443
HighGuard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post

Of course, the series deserves a special mention for its musical scores, especially the song at the start. No idea if it is the opening or not, but it was really enchanting to say the least, and complimented quite well the mood.
I agree, especially on the enchanting part, I would love to know the name of that song plus hear it in full

Quote:
Probably one of the best first episodes I've watched recently. If production IG can keep it up, I will seriously consider this series as "must watch" along with F/Z.

Already a must watch for me!
HighGuard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 16:12   Link #444
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

So I figured I should make time in at least catching this and Un-Go on their air day, and let's just say that that wasn't a mistake at all.

The first thing to make note of is that the music in this show, be it the insert music of the actual BGM, is beautiful. That really sums it it up, every piece is just a pleasure to listen to, and they add a lot of substance to the scenes when they are played (well, except for the Gai scene, but I'll get to that ). Highest of praise here.

The second thing is the visuals. Obviously, being the first episode of a high concept otaku-aimed anime, it goes without saying that the opening episode would look great art and animation wise. But the thing I noticed about it was that from the start of the episode to the end, despite Inori's rather risqué get-up (especially during the music video at the start) was the rather tame fanservice. Rather, I expected it to be more blatant, but aside from the one Gainaxing, there wasn't one moment where I thought that it was out of place or unnatural, which is good since that was one of fears I had about this show being in this time slot.

The direction, as expected from the director, is fairly solid with a lot of emphasizes on dramatic effect. It's fairly tame compared to Death Note of HoTD, and it hadn't reached the ludicrous levels of those shows ...except for Gai's entry

Oh my god, Gai ... one letter away from Gar, huh? Or at least that's what the staff want us to think I get what they wanted to go with him, being the resident badass who kicks thugs assess as easy as breathing air, but the way the scene played out ... I'm sorry, but I laughed at the obvious attempt to sell me that Gai was the most awesome dude ever. Everything about the scene was overplayed, from the music (which was awesome, just not the application of it) the action (which had awesome choreography, but not when the camera was going a bit crazy there with the zooming in) and the transition to it and from it struck me as really hilarious.

Of course, I don't think that affected my enjoyment of the episode one bit, since there was a lot to like here other than the visuals and the audio. For starters, while I agree with the people saying that there is certainly a code geass vibe to the premier, I think that there is also more of a deeper subject as well other than the ''high school student fighting alongside a resistance''. The premise about how Japan is relaying on other countries for help after a crises, which ended up making it unable to function any longer as a nation does seem to show some promise (a possible nod to current events earlier this year?) ... of course, that's what I said about [C] as well, but I'm being optimistic and hoping they follow through with that plot thread.

If there was anything that I could say bothered me, I would say it was the pacing. I felt like the episode didn't allow me to at least take in what was going on or just jumped from one event to the next, much like Code Geass actually (which I suspect where the main source of actual comparison could be drawn) and the attempt to make everything dramatic didn't help. Still, while the actual events in the episode didn't appear as interesting, the hints about the state Japan is in, Shuu's attempts to break away from his unsocial behavior and with excellent production qualities on all sides makes this a must watch for me.

(on a separate note, the VA cast was also amazing. Yuichi Nakamura did in fact make Gai sound like a badass, despite how the scene played out, and what little I heard from Hanakana as Hotwheels was impressive as well (I almost thought that it was Ami Koshimizu for the first second going by how rough her voice was). Ai Kayano showed great range as Inori, and I think her soft spoken voice had won me over by the end. Same goes with Yuki Kaji as Shuu, but I will say that I think I need some more time till he wins me over)

7.5/10 for the first episode.
Quote:
Originally Posted by creb View Post
I wonder if it's the wheel-chair girl in the one robot/mecha we saw on the rebel side.
She most certainly was.
Old 2011-10-13, 16:15   Link #445
j4c06

Well, I just watched this back to back with the 1st ep. of Code Geass.
Lelouch wins hands down. Pacing, immersion, everything.

And what is this fashion of sticking a hand into the lady's chest? First Dantalian, now this...
j4c06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 16:18   Link #446
Nosauz

Probably one of the best looking shows this season, next to mawaru, I mean the animation quality is top notch, and unlike Fate/Zero the characters are actually moving. Overall I think this season has quite a few quality shows and some that are a little lacking, this is definitely in the quality group, sure you can say the premise is similar to CG, but really I felt like there were enough interesting things such as the A New Hope scene, on top of the summoning which was pretty boss. For the most part I don't really love this genre, it's really hit or miss with me, but holy crap this is definitely a hit.
Nosauz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 16:21   Link #447
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4c06 View Post
Well, I just watched this back to back with the 1st ep. of Code Geass.
Lelouch wins hands down. Pacing, immersion, everything.
I disagree. I actually think that the pacing is about same, being very fast and getting a lot done in the first episode. That said, I don't think we should bring Code Geass into this much. Yes, the vibe is there, but there clearly going with something different here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by j4c06 View Post
And what is this fashion of sticking a hand into the lady's chest? First Dantalian, now this...
Pulling swords out of high school girls boobs was around by 1995 dude.
Old 2011-10-13, 16:23   Link #448
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Great music. A good look. Some promising characters and a promising situation. But still confused and just beginning to develop.

Kaji Yuuki was good. And Kayano Ai appears to be the real deal.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Kaoru Chujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 16:25   Link #449
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

animation looks crazy! can't wait to watch this one.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 16:32   Link #450
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerroth View Post
the first of a series of 4koma strips!

(Any idea what it says?)
I guess it is a rice cooker after all ?

Oh, and this just came to me after watching the ending again, but the Ending card was really cool looking, and I like how the staff are sending announcements using them. Really nice usage for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
And Kayano Ai appears to be the real deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
This, and only this.
I think I might end up adding her along side Yuuki Aoi and Itou Kanae as my current favorite female VA's thanks to this role.
Old 2011-10-13, 16:47   Link #451
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
Everything about the scene was overplayed, from the music (which was awesome, just not the application of it) the action (which had awesome choreography, but not when the camera was going a bit crazy there with the zooming in) and the transition to it and from it struck me as really hilarious.
I fully agree with your observations,especialy on how the Gai intro scene reflects Araki's style.
Except I absolutly love it,especially the use of music,and look forward to more because scenes like that are definatly one thing I look forward to when I watch a Akari anime,and like you said that was still quite tame by his standards.

This anime in one word:blockbuster.
Old 2011-10-13, 17:03   Link #452
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Hmm ... I kinda like the feel of the setting in this one. I agree the soundtrack is quite nice - even "haunting" in a modern synthesized way (if that makes sense), and very effective at times.

Quite an interesting start ... not enough for me to unreservedly add it to the "committed watch" list, but it is enough for the "tentative watch" list.

Hmph ... two more added today. Where will I find the time for the shows this season?
Old 2011-10-13, 17:13   Link #453
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
I fully agree with your observations,especialy on how the Gai intro scene reflects Araki's style.
I think thats the one scene that really summarized what Araki is all about is the end of it. Heck, even when Shuu turns around and we switch to his point of view to see Tsugumi, literally, in our face, and the music stops for that one second ... that's really his trademark, no doubt about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Except I absolutely love it
Well, I wouldn't say I absolutely love it, but I want to be clear that I did like the scene. Just that the effect ended up being more hilarious than awesome, but every component of the action was pretty excellent on it's own.
Old 2011-10-13, 17:25   Link #454
SuzushinaYuriko
SHSL Lurker

I thought the premise was a bit cliched, but it was still an awesome episode. The art is just gorgeous and the music is really good.

By the way, does anyone know the second song in PV2? I've fallen in love with it. Is it the opening of the show?
Old 2011-10-13, 17:34   Link #455
Kunagisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukirosuzuka View Post
I thought the premise was a bit cliched
More cliche the better really. The most engaging writing take the most generic elements and modify them in ways that people don't recognize they're really just following a rather simple story with common character types ... which most writers can't really pull off but for me those premises set up greater potential than totally insane setting.

I hope they keep the fanservice at this current level. All the impact-->orgasm scenes for the female pilots are hilarious (more coming in the preview), and Inori is pretty much eye candy with no character atm, but I'm fine with those.
Kunagisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 17:59   Link #456
desrtsku
Nympholept

Well, I'd say it was a good start : smooth animation (I expected some over the top Aniplex style animation but it was still acceptable), good looking art and the best point is (as everyone else noticed) the BGM (That's Ryo for you). And all of that was arranged with our mastermind Araki's percussive style = WOW!!!
I'm really looking forward to more awesomeness from this show
Old 2011-10-13, 17:59   Link #457
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

the first episode was good, and the story i get the vibe is gonna be one of those minfucks, and that can only end beign totally awesome or terrybly awful ,but for what it looks like it migth be the first one.
Old 2011-10-13, 18:07   Link #458
hero147

I was actually a bit disappointed, considering the hype it go before the series even started.
hero147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-13, 18:10   Link #459
Raiga
tl;dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerroth View Post
There are some nice wallpapers/art pieces/etc on the official JP site; plus what I might guess to be the first of a series of 4koma strips!

(Any idea what it says?)
*grumble*

"Oh? Are you hungry?"

"Would you like some onigi..."

*pulls out rice*

"Huh?! That thing doubles as a rice cooker?!"

"And over an open flame?!"
Old 2011-10-13, 18:22   Link #460
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by desrtsku View Post
the BGM (That's Ryo for you).
Ryo's doing the insert songs but the BGM is being done by Sawano Hiroyuki.

Tags
action, noitamina, production_ig