Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-04-13, 15:43   Link #1
Wali
Irate King

Manga Suggestions (dark)

I've been roaming around looking for manga for a while and had little luck, so I need some help. I've got a thing for the darker mangas out there.

I've read...

Berserk
Gantz
Trigun
Strain
Offered
Vagabond
King of Wolves
Samurai Deeper Kyo
Get Backers
3x3 Eyes
One Piece
Hunter x Hunter

That's a good deal of the stuff I've read, I have seen Elfen Lied although I've avoided the manga (since I plan to watch the anime again when I get bored). So hopefully this has been enough information to let you know what I prefer.

Nothing is too sick for me, just so you know. So don't censor your results because somethings insane.
Old 2006-04-13, 17:13   Link #2
SmartChick
Future Billionaire

Send a message via AIM to SmartChick
Have you ever read Death Note? My brother and I really enjoy that manga and has become very popular with a lot of people.

Heres a summary:
Shinigami own notebooks called “Death Notes” which are used as killing devices. Whoever’s name they write down in a death note will die within 40 seconds. Shinigami Ryuku accidentally dropped his Death Note in the human world where it’s found by honor high school student Raito. With the death note actually having directions in it for its use, Raito discovers he now has the power to discreetly kill people, and with this new power he plans to change the world in his ideal world by killing off criminals. Eventually the governments of the countries around the world notice the unusual amounts of deaths of their criminals, and figure out someone is behind them, but they have no way of discovering it themselves. That’s when they hire L, a master detective, to find out who is behind the murders.

Hope that helps
Old 2006-04-13, 17:13   Link #3
Mousuke

I'm not too well-versed in manga, but I do read Bleach and Trigun, so maybe my two cents worth will help...^_~

Have you read Deathnote yet? It's pretty popular, yes, but I like it a lot...

Taimashin is interesting too

~
Old 2006-04-13, 18:26   Link #4
jedinat

I started reading Angel Sanctuary the other day. That's pretty dark and interesting. I've also read most of Blame!, which is a very dark manga with really awesome art.
Old 2006-04-13, 20:24   Link #5
Fighter Volk
Thanks sakurabatou @ LJ

If you like really intense and amazing stories, I'd give Monster, 20th Century Boys, and Pluto a look. They are all by my favorite mangaka, Urasawa Naoki, and all are undeniably dark. They have really complicated but absolutely amazing stories. To enjoy them, you need to be the thinker type, so if you aren't I'd stay away, but if you are, they'll probably become the best things you have ever read.

Monster is licensed. It is finished, the last volume being Volume 18.

20th Century Boys is also licensed, but it's still ongoing in Japan. The latest volume released was Volume 21. It's slowly drawing to a close, though.

Pluto is the only unlicensed one of the three, and it is being scanlated by Mangascreener. The third volume just came out in Japan, though Pluto's volumes come out much slower; the chapters are monthly as opposed to the above two's biweekly chapters.
Old 2006-04-13, 20:33   Link #6
Kata

I say these two from my pesonal experiance.

Battle Royale - Violence, death, no real happy ending here. 42 classmates forced to kill eachother.
Monster - This is more of dark thriller type of story, about a doctor who sees ghosts or something (I just stared this one, looks very promising)
Old 2006-04-13, 21:40   Link #7
stretch87
Anime Addict

I second Death Note. this manga is really messed up
Old 2006-04-13, 22:36   Link #8
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Quote:
Monster - This is more of dark thriller type of story, about a doctor who sees ghosts or something (I just stared this one, looks very promising)
... where did you get the impression that he sees ghost though?

On the dark manga side, I second the Urasawa's works like Monster, 20th Century Boys, Pluto and the like. They are really well made.... now if only 20th Century Boys got animated someday...
Old 2006-04-14, 13:45   Link #9
jedinat

I just read a relatively short manga (4 volumes) called Anne Freaks. It begins with the main character burying his mom's body. A girl shows up out of nowhere and tells him he's not doing it right. She tells him not to worry and that she'll help him remove all the traces.
The girl is a killer without remorse and he ends up following her (falling in love with her). The manga was pretty good... but yeah, all the main characters are the "bad guys" lol. But they mostly have reason for how they turned out. The protagonist is kind of funny... he'll hit a guy over the head with a metal bar while looking all nervous and apologizing.
Old 2006-04-14, 15:21   Link #10
Yotsuba
芸術は爆発だ!

Death Note is one of the only manga I actually collect the tankubon for, so reccomended.

Monster,
Kuroshiya Ichi (REALLY disgusting, but good) are both good, too.
Old 2006-04-16, 08:40   Link #11
Wali
Irate King

Thanks for all the suggestions. It appears I forgot a few mangas I've read, such as Death Note and Bleach.

Luckily for me, I'm the thinker type, so I'll check out all the titles you guys have recommended. Once again, thanks.
Old 2006-04-17, 12:19   Link #12
Soka-chan

You might try Sanctuary.Same scrptwriter and drawer as Strain, but better.Trust me.

Also, Battle Royale: violence hard psichological stuff, sex and ecchi and good characters and storyline(though it becomaes more flipant by the end)
Closed Thread