AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-12-19, 16:45   Link #1061
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuopidget View Post
Isn't that how some of the other Adachi manga ended (getting together/confession at the very last chapter)? Though I must say Aoba held out for a long, long time. SO TSUN AOBA SO TSUN!
Well this is my first experience with an Adachi work... So I wouldn't know.
Old 2009-12-19, 20:11   Link #1062
LusterFlare
Lost.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I wouldn't really be happy for Kou and Aoba to finally get together and then have the manga end. That's too cheap. So hopefully 160 isn't the last chapter.
Hmm, I have a feeling it will end when Koshien begins. Stadium packed with fans, the huge Aoba poster behind centerfield, Akaishi as catcher, and Kou getting ready to throw his first pitch on the mound; Wakaba's dream come true. Woo .
Old 2009-12-19, 21:47   Link #1063
Johnny
Working the bags...

I'm curious whether or not the birthday list will just be left out in the cold? There's what two more items to go and if they end everything now that will be the case. He did make it a point to keep are attention on it as the story went along. It be a shame to just let it go...
Old 2009-12-20, 01:05   Link #1064
leongsh
Daijoubu!

It definitely needs another 10 chapters (= 1 volume) for an epilogue.
Old 2009-12-20, 01:17   Link #1065
DanielSong39

Why do I get the feeling that the next half inning will mark the end of the story?

Oh well, it was a good run for Koh and I hope Seishuu will do well in Koshien (and hopefully find more pitchers in the meantime!). Wakaba's dream will come true as Aoba will come down to center field to celebrate the team's big victory.
Old 2009-12-20, 01:19   Link #1066
poko-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by leongsh View Post
That would be great!
Old 2009-12-20, 13:34   Link #1067
The Rumblefish
Hurray for Takako Shimura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
I'm curious whether or not the birthday list will just be left out in the cold? There's what two more items to go and if they end everything now that will be the case. He did make it a point to keep are attention on it as the story went along. It be a shame to just let it go...
Only the last gift is important: the wedding. I think it will either be resolved in dialogue, or we'll get a time jump on the day of the wedding (that's my bet!).

Quote:
The element that goes into the favor of one more volume is the "season" gimmick, and the fact there is a lot to explain about the list, the different potential couples etc.

But 10 chapters to unfold after the climax... Unless my memory is playing tricks on me, Adachi has never done such a thing before. Sometimes the romantic interests hook up way before the ending ; usually this happens when the romantic subplot is not very important in the story (which is not the case here). Adachi has never spent much time on the ending. He usually ends at the climax or allows only one chapter for the epilogue.

Not saying it is impossible, but given that Adachi is now playing the unexpected diary+flashbacks card in the middle of the most important match, it is far more believable that he'll end on this volume (in five chapters). How he spends these five chapters is left to anyone's guess, though.
Old 2009-12-20, 20:03   Link #1068
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rumblefish View Post
The element that goes into the favor of one more volume is the "season" gimmick, and the fact there is a lot to explain about the list, the different potential couples etc.

But 10 chapters to unfold after the climax... Unless my memory is playing tricks on me, Adachi has never done such a thing before. Sometimes the romantic interests hook up way before the ending ; usually this happens when the romantic subplot is not very important in the story (which is not the case here). Adachi has never spent much time on the ending. He usually ends at the climax or allows only one chapter for the epilogue.
That's assuming the end of the baseball match is the climax of Cross Game. If the climax of the manga isn't the end of the baseball match, Adachi has done it before - Touch shows the way as it ran for another 2 volumes after the end of the baseball match.

Quote:
Not saying it is impossible, but given that Adachi is now playing the unexpected diary+flashbacks card in the middle of the most important match, it is far more believable that he'll end on this volume (in five chapters). How he spends these five chapters is left to anyone's guess, though.
That's the key. How is he going to spend the next 5 chapters?
Old 2009-12-20, 20:03   Link #1069
PeterI

Quote:
Originally Posted by LusterFlare View Post
Hmm, I have a feeling it will end when Koshien begins. Stadium packed with fans, the huge Aoba poster behind centerfield, Akaishi as catcher, and Kou getting ready to throw his first pitch on the mound; Wakaba's dream come true. Woo .
I will feel seriously cheated if Aoba doesn't appear in person as CF.
Old 2009-12-20, 20:35   Link #1070
The Rumblefish

Quote:
That's assuming the end of the baseball match is the climax of Cross Game. If the climax of the manga isn't the end of the baseball match, Adachi has done it before - Touch shows the way as it ran for another 2 volumes after the end of the baseball match.
I cannot really develop on Touch for fear of spoiling people but, to remain vague, the key of Touch is what happens in chapter 256. There is only one chapter after that. The baseball match you mention is not as important as in Cross Game because it does not directly resolve many plot points.

From my view, the key of Cross Game is whether Kô fulfills Aoba's and Wakaba's childhood dreams. Wakaba wished to see the ones she loved competing in Kôshien, and this will be fulfilled if the current match is won (remember: Wakaba never said anything about winning Kôshien). Aoba's dream is the 160km/h throw, which Kô apparently promised to deliver today, from the little info she gave us with her elusive monologues.

It would be very tough for the story to offer any meaningful story arc after such accomplishments. That why I think we'll get only one or two chapters after this match ends. Unless Adachi goes for a shocking "bad" ending, Kô will fulfill the two girls' dreams (and get Ichiyo married by the same occasion). The only thing left will be to get a proper confession scene (which might be a flashback and might be shown before the end of the match) and see how the "list" subplot is concluded (assuming Adachi did not forget about it).
Old 2009-12-20, 21:40   Link #1071
leongsh
Daijoubu!

Quote:
I cannot really develop on Touch for fear of spoiling people but, to remain vague, the key of Touch is what happens in chapter 256. There is only one chapter after that. The baseball match you mention is not as important as in Cross Game because it does not directly resolve many plot points.
That baseball match in Touch does resolve most of the plot points was a major climax save one - that one last fundamental point which was then resolved in chapter 256. To ignore what the end of that baseball match meant is to a big chunk of plot points raised like why that match needed to be won.

Quote:
From my view, the key of Cross Game is whether Kô fulfills Aoba's and Wakaba's childhood dreams. Wakaba wished to see the ones she loved competing in Kôshien, and this will be fulfilled if the current match is won (remember: Wakaba never said anything about winning Kôshien). Aoba's dream is the 160km/h throw, which Kô apparently promised to deliver today, from the little info she gave us with her elusive monologues.

It would be very tough for the story to offer any meaningful story arc after such accomplishments. That why I think we'll get only one or two chapters after this match ends. Unless Adachi goes for a shocking "bad" ending, Kô will fulfill the two girls' dreams (and get Ichiyo married by the same occasion). The only thing left will be to get a proper confession scene (which might be a flashback and might be shown before the end of the match) and see how the "list" subplot is concluded (assuming Adachi did not forget about it).
They may not be any further plot points to be resolved but there is scope for what happens after - where does Kou go from there, Aoba's potential and involvement in the national team in her final year of high school, the conclusion of that birthday list and what will Kou will do with the items collected, Akaishi-Akane, etc.
Old 2009-12-21, 08:05   Link #1072
Tri-ring

Spoiler for Chapter 155 Key word:
Old 2009-12-21, 08:56   Link #1073
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Oh, I don't know about that. The whole batting thing was pretty emotional, for me. On the other hand, I cannot wait to see the whole thing animated.

Old 2009-12-21, 09:26   Link #1074
The Rumblefish

I am sure the story would be more pleasant to follow for Tri-ring and others if we were not interrupted so frequently in the recent months. I loved the token scene.

Quote:
That baseball match in Touch does resolve most of the plot points was a major climax save one - that one last fundamental point which was then resolved in chapter 256.
Well, I respectfully disagree. This would be a discussion for the Touch thread but I assume You and I have a different understanding of these scenes and a very different appreciation of the key message behind Touch.
Old 2009-12-21, 09:52   Link #1075
poko-kun

Quote:
That's the key. How is he going to spend the next 5 chapters?
1 chapter and take 4 weeks break, then 1 chapter and another 4 weeks break...

(masochism?)
Old 2009-12-22, 00:09   Link #1076
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by poko-kun View Post
1 chapter and take 4 weeks break, then 1 chapter and another 4 weeks break...

(masochism?)
Yup, according to the last page he is taking another break coming back January 20th, 2010 8th edition of Shonen Sunday.
Old 2009-12-22, 14:56   Link #1077
typhonsentra

.... I give up.
Old 2009-12-23, 02:04   Link #1078
DanielSong39

I know Adachi should be above criticism, but this is freakin' ridiculous.
Old 2009-12-23, 05:24   Link #1079
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

What, the breaks? Keep in mind the old man is putting out two series at once, which is more than lots of younger mangakas are ever able to do - hell, some cannot even output 20 pages a month, on a regular basis...

Old 2009-12-23, 06:11   Link #1080
Johnny
Working the bags...

I don't mind the wait, but on a weekly basis the dialogue really isn't that much compared to others. It's a typesetter's wet dream...
Closed Thread

Tags
mitsuru adachi, shounen