AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2006-07-12, 16:50   Link #61
Tofusensei

Send a message via AIM to Tofusensei
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Last year I thought that the party was a bit too big and noisy, but it was fun. I'll certainly see you again.
Hi!

Yeah, we're going to attempt to rectify the loudness problem by getting 2 suites this year. One will be the all-out, balls-to-the-wall party suite, the other will be the mellow, relaxed, watch some anime, sip some sake, and enjoy life suite. Unfortunately, for this to work (financially), we need to recruit just a few more people to stay with us, which is what I am doing posting on here.

Look forward to seeing you again, as always

-Tofu
Tofusensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-12, 17:05   Link #62
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

That's a good idea. Something similar happened (informally) last year of course. In the smaller room to the left of the party suite a bunch of us hung out and chatted while sipping sake and enjoyed life.

It'll be nice to have a larger room with more people to enjoy the laid back atmosphere. That will make it a lot more like it was two years ago. So, which room gets the karoke machine? (Not that I'll be using it much, just because it was fun to watch others.)

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2006-07-12 at 17:24.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-12, 17:19   Link #63
Draneor
Aesop's Fox

Although I’m a regular attendee of Otakon and veteran fansubber, I’ve never actually attended the fansubbing panel (not, of course, that anyone would know me outside my group but that's the way I like it). Just out of curiosity, what topics does the panel cover and who is on it? Would the panel be interesting to older fansubbers or is it more designed for those who know nothing about it? I suppose I should go at least once just to support the scene--provided that it doesn’t conflict with any Kawasumi-related event, which I doubt it will.
Draneor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-12, 17:32   Link #64
Tofusensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draneor
Although I’m a regular attendee of Otakon and veteran fansubber, I’ve never actually attended the fansubbing panel (not, of course, that anyone would know me outside my group but that's the way I like it). Just out of curiosity, what topics does the panel cover and who is on it? Would the panel be interesting to older fansubbers or is it more designed for those who know nothing about it? I suppose I should go at least once just to support the scene--provided that it doesn’t conflict with any Kawasumi-related event, which I doubt it will.
We usually begin under the guise of doing a fansub demo and then evolve into a Q&A session. Usually the crowd is a mix of good folks who know quite a bit about the scene and since it's usually late at night, people are usually in a pretty good mood, so that's the real fun of the event. Usually the discussion is great and we have to call it off or it'll drag over to the next panel (even at a whopping 2 hrs long).

This year maybe we'll try to tackle the issue of RL vs. fansubbing :X That should spark some good debate.

-Tofu
Old 2006-07-12, 18:06   Link #65
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draneor
Would the panel be interesting to older fansubbers or is it more designed for those who know nothing about it?
Older subbers usually form a peanut gallery somewhere in the middle of the audiance and amuse themselves with what is being said on stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofusensei
We usually begin under the guise of doing a fansub demo and then evolve into a Q&A session.
Translation: They have lots of technical issues and its always a great disaster. Always amusing to see/hear how badly it goes.
Quote:
This year maybe we'll try to tackle the issue of RL vs. fansubbing :X That should spark some good debate.

-Tofu
Suggestion for the panel: Ban questions about encoding. (Especially the h.264 vs xvid one.) Those always start the encoders into hour long rants that bore the audiance to death.

Comment on about staying with Tofu: If you like parties/booze/staying up late, you will probably love staying with him. If you don't like alcohol, its usually okay anyway just to talk with people. If you like to get sleep, I refer you to itsatrap.net.

And I actually am currently not planning on going as the con sucked incredibly last year.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-12, 18:25   Link #66
DryFire
Panda Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoab
Suggestion for the panel: Ban questions about encoding. (Especially the h.264 vs xvid one.) Those always start the encoders into hour long rants that bore the audiance to death.

Suggestion: don't let the encoders speak at all
DryFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-12, 19:38   Link #67
xat
*Fansubber

Great. I'll be there. I'm expecting things to be as crowded as they were last year.
xat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-12, 21:24   Link #68
Starks
I see what you did there!
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Starks
I might go for 1 day. Baltimore is pretty close to College Park.

If I do go, I pray that there will be at-door registrations left.
Old 2006-07-12, 21:39   Link #69
Moiraine
High Priestess of DB
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofusensei
Yes.
Yes, it should.

*will be at the panel*
*glares*
Moiraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-12, 23:26   Link #70
exedore
Zentradi Archivist

I'll be returning to Otakon again this year, but sadly won't be able to make the fansubbing panel.

Why?

Because one of my group's panels, the impossible to put down "I Can't Believe You Haven't Seen This!!!" will be running simultaneously in the next panel room over (Panel 2...which is ironically smaller than 3 but bigger than 1). Come by to see the anime that time, advertisers, and Japan have forgotten about. This is our third year running this panel at Otakon, and as always, we will be presenting an all-new lineup of titles for the audience's amusement.

We're also running a second panel on Sunday at noon - "The Frugal Otaku". Come by to learn how to find affordable DVDs (that aren't bootlegs), merchandise, and more.

And, last but not least, a selection of #anime-classic titles have been requested by Otakon Video Ops. All of the requested titles are being presented on straight-from-R2DVD/LD DVDRs, with convention friendly subtitle placement. Most of our stuff will be running in the oldskool room, though some of it may end up in the family/children friendly area (especially if we get the scripts we've been waiting on for three months....).

I hope to see y'all at the Party at least. Tofu throws wild and crazy ones.
exedore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-12, 23:27   Link #71
exedore
Zentradi Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starks
If I do go, I pray that there will be at-door registrations left.
Just a heads up, You'll be buying a 3 day membership regardless of how many days you're actually there for.
Old 2006-07-13, 00:39   Link #72
Starks
*Scanlator

(I've always wanted to attend Otakon ever since I snuck in during the final hours in 2004. It was pure coincidence that Johns Hopkins canceled the college tour for a group I was traveling with and we went to the Inner Harbor instead. I had no idea Otakon was going on until I saw the mayhem downtown.)

Things I need to do in order to attend Otakon 2006.

1. Pick a day and stick with it. (Most likely Friday afternoon until close)
2. Find a cheap train/bus route for the short ride to and from Baltimore. (Or hitch a ride with a friend)
3. See if co-worker is interested in accompanying me. (He's a big D&D/Magic fan and I did catch him humming "The Real Folk Blues" once at work.)
4. Take a day-off from my part-time job.
5. Register

BTW, who is on the panel and how long will it be?

Last edited by Starks; 2006-07-13 at 00:58.
Starks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-13, 01:31   Link #73
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Is there a good reason that you aren't going to advance register? It would really suck to get there and be told that they are already sold out.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-13, 01:45   Link #74
Starks
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSanninWa
Is there a good reason that you aren't going to advance register? It would really suck to get there and be told that they are already sold out.
I'll be deciding over the next few days whether or not I will pre-register.

EDIT: Pre-regged

Last edited by Starks; 2006-07-13 at 16:17.
Starks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-13, 20:29   Link #75
Tofusensei

I look forward to seeing you all there!

Just for the record, we do still have plenty of room available if any people, or groups of people, want to stay with us. We will have 2 luxury suites (hot tubs, all that jazz).

You don't have to be a fansubber, but of course it will get you brownie points

Let me know.

-Tofu
Old 2006-07-13, 21:00   Link #76
Starks
*Scanlator

We should make a list of all known groups being represented...
Old 2006-07-17, 21:42   Link #77
aquastar831
AQS-Anime

Send a message via AIM to aquastar831 Send a message via MSN to aquastar831
I'm going to Otakon also, but only for one day since I don't have a hotel room and my car isn't exactly fuel efficient, though I'm considering using the train from Union Station in DC to get here. I'll probably be going on Sat. with a friend of mine.
aquastar831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-18, 06:25   Link #78
exedore
Zentradi Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquastar831
I'm going to Otakon also, but only for one day since I don't have a hotel room and my car isn't exactly fuel efficient, though I'm considering using the train from Union Station in DC to get here. I'll probably be going on Sat. with a friend of mine.
Just be aware that you have to take the Amtrak train and not the MARC, as it doesn't run on weekends. It's about 1.5 miles from Penn Station to the BCC, and the easiest way to get there is by foot (walk straight down Charles St. and hang a right) or cab (shouldn't be more than $5-8 and you can split it with your friend). IIRC there's also a bus that will take you down St. Paul, but the weekend bus schedules aren't so hot.
Old 2006-07-18, 09:24   Link #79
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by exedore
Just be aware that you have to take the Amtrak train and not the MARC, as it doesn't run on weekends. It's about 1.5 miles from Penn Station to the BCC, and the easiest way to get there is by foot (walk straight down Charles St. and hang a right) or cab (shouldn't be more than $5-8 and you can split it with your friend). IIRC there's also a bus that will take you down St. Paul, but the weekend bus schedules aren't so hot.
Walking between Penn and BCC is highly not recommended unless you are a large group with nothing expensive looking. You can also take the light rail from Penn to the BCC and it will cost you about $2.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-07-18, 13:04   Link #80
H_I
Local wino!!

Send a message via AIM to H_I Send a message via MSN to H_I
I have lurked around this forum for a few years now. Picking up different tricks of the trade. And enjoying some very interesting conversations. The Time has come to finally join. Maryland is a couple of Hours away from NY. I Guess I can make the trip. But Gas Is a "MF".

Maybe there will be a booth for us Distro guys..LMAO
H_I is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
conventions, otakon