AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2018-06-30, 15:14   Link #5941
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

This World Cup will be long remembered not only because of the large amounts of own goals, penalty shots, and last minute goals awarded, as well as controversial decisions coming from the VAR, but also due that in this day marked the farewell and good-bye to two aces:
- Lionel Messi for Argentina.
- and Cristiano Ronaldo for Portugal.

Uruguay 2 - 1 Portugal.

The match Uruguay vs Portugal during the first half was played dull and bland, and the Uruguayans pretty much scored the first one by chance. However, it wasn't until Portugal netted the equalizer in the second half that both teams awoke and from there the game turned out full of adrenaline and exciting, at least for about 25 minutes after the equalizer.
It was good to see the Uruguayans being cautious not to leave Cristiano alone for him to get any chances at dealing damage in their goal area. Moreover, Gavani for Uruguay brilliantly led his team to victory with his second goal in the same match.

First quarter-finals game will be Uruguay vs France.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-06-30, 16:51   Link #5942
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido View Post
- and Cristiano Ronaldo for Portugal.
Considering how obsessive he is with keeping his body in shape I wouldn't categorically rule out him playing in 2022, despite being 37 then...
Old 2018-07-01, 00:20   Link #5943
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
I'd be more confident in France if they keep playing with the same panache they did, just with less defensive slipups.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-01, 02:11   Link #5944
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I'd be more confident in France if they keep playing with the same panache they did, just with less defensive slipups.
I think Deschamps is stifling the team with his overly careful style. He should've put more emphasis on possession-oriented ball. Now you have a team that has been centred onto defensive counter-football, but can they still play good defense when they are forced into a possession-type of football?
Old 2018-07-01, 11:55   Link #5945
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Russia defeats Spain and goes to quarter-finals.

So, basically, the Russian strategy became an endurance game to resist all the way from after scoring the equalizer to the penalty shootout and paid-off with Spain, eventually, wearing themselves down at extra time.

Just in one match Ignashevich fell hard from that own goal in order to rise redeeming himself by scoring his penalty shot at the shootouts.

However, the true star of the match was the Russian goalkeeper, Igor Akinfeev. I mean when Spain shot its last penalty I thought Aspas blew away the ball, however, the video repetition clearly showed how the ball bounce off from Akinfeev's foot as if kicked it away.

Spain 1 - 1 Russia
Penalties (3 - 4)
Old 2018-07-01, 12:20   Link #5946
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Highlight of the match:

"I'm late for school! Watch out! Senpai!"

Out of principle, I am still rooting for my team. But deep inside, after seeing how that Russian campaign is savage for the big boys, I am hoping for Belgium to win, for the best Belgian joke ever.
Old 2018-07-01, 15:56   Link #5947
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Another eighth finals match that got resolved in the penalty shootout.

Unlike the game Spain vs Russia, both the Croatian and Danish teams played evenly in the field from regular to extra time. Neither of them conceding terrain from the other as well as pressuring each other back to their side of the field.

Likely, the focus this match will be remembered for would be Croatia keeping on the suspense factor after Modric failed the penalty shot three minutes before extra time had run out, that could have spared the Croatians further anxiety.

Nevertheless, both teams had to resolve the score in the penalty shootouts which became a contest between Sukovich vs Schmeichel. Both teams failed and scored equally with Modric redeeming himself for the previous shot he failed at extra time.

At the end, Sukovich rose while Schmeichel fell in the shootouts. That's how the penalty shootouts must be full of drama, adrenaline, anguish, and with both teams playing the same level.

Croatia 1 - 1 Denmark
Penalties (3 - 2)

Second quarter-finals match: Russia vs. Croatia.

Last edited by Guido; 2018-07-01 at 21:46.
Old 2018-07-02, 14:25   Link #5948
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Japan beating Belgium at the moment. This World Cup is just full of surprises.

[EDIT]

I think I jinxed it...

Last edited by Haak; 2018-07-02 at 14:41.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-02, 14:41   Link #5949
SidVicious
Anime addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Japan beating Belgium at the moment. This World Cup is just full of surprises.
It's 2-2 now.
Old 2018-07-02, 14:53   Link #5950
SidVicious
Anime addict

It's done. Japan lost.
Old 2018-07-02, 14:59   Link #5951
James Rye

Man, Japan had it. They probably should have played way more defensively after that 2:0, but at least it was a very enjoyable game to watch. Unlike that Spain vs Russia game.
Old 2018-07-02, 15:44   Link #5952
Kakurin
大佐

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rye View Post
Man, Japan had it. They probably should have played way more defensively after that 2:0, but at least it was a very enjoyable game to watch. Unlike that Spain vs Russia game.
Absolutely. I've seen quite a few people praising Russia for the spirit and effort they showed, but I just don't see how they deserved to advance based on that alone. The Russians played for penalties from the get-go. They didn't even try on counters. That match was more about the Spanish passivity than what the Russians did.

Japan today was quite different. Sure, they played defensive, but they regularly mixed in some good possessions with the ball. They played as offensive as a team could have, facing such an overwhelming favourite. I also don't agree that they should've played more defensive. Japan's problems were mainly twofold. One is bad goalkeeping. Kawashima's defence against the corner prior to the 1:2 was pitiful. Such a ball needs to be punched far out of the danger zone. Two is simply the physical disadvantage. Every high cross into the penalty area was high danger since the Belgians were effectively a head's length taller than the Japanese. Only the 3:2 was bad defensive awareness by the Japanese. You must never allow a goal as a result of a counterattack following a corner that was intercepted by the goalkeeper. If somebody would've just positioned himself in front of Courtois after he caught the ball this counter would've never happened.
Old 2018-07-02, 15:44   Link #5953
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Having little interest in soccer and not being in the mood to watch the telly this evening, I practically had a minute-by-minute summary of what was going on just listening to the expletives, moans of disappointment and squeals of excitement emanating from my neighbor's house (they left their doors and windows wide open due to the sweltering heat). Then I heard the big vocal explosion and now all I hear are car horns in the streets. :-/

...And my mother was actually rooting for Japan, hoping that a loss would put an early end to all this soccer hoopla.

But well, congrats to the Red Devils, I guess.
Old 2018-07-02, 17:57   Link #5954
Toukairin
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Rye View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakurin View Post
Absolutely. I've seen quite a few people praising Russia for the spirit and effort they showed, but I just don't see how they deserved to advance based on that alone. The Russians played for penalties from the get-go. They didn't even try on counters. That match was more about the Spanish passivity than what the Russians did.
It really hurts badly, guys. When Japan went 2-0 up, I only wished that the Samurai Blue applied some lessons from that 3-4 defeat against Italy in the 2013 Confederations Cup after Japan led... 2-0. Sure, the match was very enjoyable, but it definitely is not exactly a good match from a coach's point of view. When you're up by 2 goals against a dangerous opponent, you have to keep frustrating your opponents. It is part of a learning process that should have reached a more advanced stage by now for Japan.

Yeah, Spain were very passive while Russia did nothing. But as you probably saw a lot of football like I do, how you get through to the next round matters very little when you have reached single elimination matches. It's either you do or you don't, especially when Japan were so close of creating one of the biggest upsets in recent World Cup history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakurin View Post
Japan today was quite different. Sure, they played defensive, but they regularly mixed in some good possessions with the ball. They played as offensive as a team could have, facing such an overwhelming favourite. I also don't agree that they should've played more defensive. Japan's problems were mainly twofold. One is bad goalkeeping. Kawashima's defence against the corner prior to the 1:2 was pitiful. Such a ball needs to be punched far out of the danger zone. Two is simply the physical disadvantage. Every high cross into the penalty area was high danger since the Belgians were effectively a head's length taller than the Japanese. Only the 3:2 was bad defensive awareness by the Japanese. You must never allow a goal as a result of a counterattack following a corner that was intercepted by the goalkeeper. If somebody would've just positioned himself in front of Courtois after he caught the ball this counter would've never happened.
Where I think Japan went wrong is that they were not drilled to park the bus when they should have been drilled. Anybody can talk about physical (dis)advantage, but there is also positional advantage to take into consideration. On the 1-2 goal, I agree that Kawashima did poorly, but I was expecting the Japanese defender to close down quicker on Verthongen regardless of how unlikely his shot would have gone in. On the 2-2 goal, positional defending is something that the players should have learned time and time again. Just clog the middle, always.

In the first half, I told my friend that Japan were defending a little bit like how Portugal defended against France in the Euro final. For some reason, I saw none of that after Japan scored 2 goals.

On the last goal, I was more furious about why Japan did not pull 6 or 7 players back into a defensive position against possible counterattacks. The thing that Belgium dreaded most, except for losing the match, was to take the match into extra time. If Japan held the line, Belgium would have burned all energy reserves they needed against Brazil.

When I think of how Japan crumbled, I can only think of the match in which France led 3-1 against West Germany in Sevilla (1982) before they got scored on twice and finally lost on penalties. I wasn't born back then, but older folks told me how it felt for the French back then. Today's result is as close as you can get to that extremely cruel moment.

Now that it is over, I only hope there is a future Japan head coach somewhere (Japanese or foreign, it doesn't matter) who saw today's match and who will drill Japan to play a very tight defensive game when needed to. That was how Aimé Jacquet was able to break the curse of Sevilla 1982 and then win the World Cup at last.
Toukairin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-03, 00:34   Link #5955
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Been hearing news from AP/AFP that Messi fans who are upset about Argentina's losses decided to off themselves.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-03, 15:53   Link #5956
SidVicious
Anime addict

Colombia is done. England won.
Old 2018-07-03, 15:54   Link #5957
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

We finally broke the curse.
Old 2018-07-03, 16:03   Link #5958
Sakuratsuki

I will call this Euro cup 2018 from this day on. And I can't really congratulate England because they didn't deserve it. Whoever made the decision to choose this referee needs to be called out on that. Because that was clearly favoritism that he was doing trough the match.

A disputable penalty, clear corner not given, horrible decisions and many more things.
Old 2018-07-03, 16:27   Link #5959
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakuratsuki View Post
I will call this Euro cup 2018 from this day on.
Euro & South America Cup to be pedanticprecise.
Old 2018-07-03, 16:32   Link #5960
Sakuratsuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
Euro & South America Cup to be pedanticprecise.
Nope, Euro cup 2018. South American teams playing horrible this world cup. Although perhaps a little bit of South America because Brazil is doing quite good so far.

Tags
football, soccer