AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-02-09, 07:31   Link #121
Asrialys

VA? You mean actor? Yeah, it's a totally different person. "Kyon" said that she was reconfigured or something. The first one probably returned to Japan or something. Or caught that flu that's everywhere. lol
Old 2007-02-09, 07:46   Link #122
Noppapana
> Haruhiist <

Send a message via MSN to Noppapana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asrialys View Post
VA? You mean actor? Yeah, it's a totally different person. "Kyon" said that she was reconfigured or something. The first one probably returned to Japan or something. Or caught that flu that's everywhere. lol
ooow i thought that the actors in the vid are the voice actors
Old 2007-02-09, 07:56   Link #123
Asrialys

They're more like random people. Maybe from Kadokawa. lol The biggest question mark is Patricia Lee. But whatever. They're only there to represent the ASOS Brigade.
Old 2007-02-09, 10:30   Link #124
typhonsentra

I was hope Wahlgren would get Haruhi, but I am still happy with the selections, especially Bosch as Koizumi.... so long as he stops mispronouncing the names.
Old 2007-02-09, 12:37   Link #125
Asrialys

I'll watch the dubs through, but I'll be cringing every time they mispronounce names, like they did with Haruhi's name in those voice actor polls.

"Ha-Rhu-Hi?"
Old 2007-02-09, 13:09   Link #126
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

I'm surprisingly pleased with the cast. The only ones I have questions marks about are Stephanie Sheh, as I don't quite recall her work from Eureka 7 (I only watched one episode); Michelle Ruff (never saw Chobits in English); and Bridget Hoffman (never saw any of her English roles, either). Everything else looks good. I especially like their choices for Tsuruya and Kyon. Also, lol for sugar-sweet Belldandy playing a psychopath

It's beginning to look like I was worried over nothing. I won't be completely relaxed until I actually hear the dub, though, as a bad voice director can FUBAR even an all-star cast.
Old 2007-02-09, 13:21   Link #127
LumpOfCole
I work with computers.

Send a message via AIM to LumpOfCole
heres to hoping for smoked cheese voice outtake
Old 2007-02-09, 13:22   Link #128
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
You may not heard enough roles from Stephanie Sheh, but have you heard enough roles from Jennifer Sekiguchi (yes, I'm implying that those two are the same person)?
Old 2007-02-09, 13:26   Link #129
dkellis
illusion control
*Author

Send a message via ICQ to dkellis Send a message via AIM to dkellis Send a message via MSN to dkellis
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
Also, lol for sugar-sweet Belldandy playing a psychopath
I've not heard any English dubs of the AMG movie (mostly because I never got the chance to), but I do hope that the sugary-sweet remains. One of the best parts of Ryouko's character, to me, is that she sounds so sweet and polite and happy and life-is-good... even when brandishing a combat knife murderously.

If it's like her KOS-MOS role (which I have heard), though, it'd probably be a major mistake in direction.
Old 2007-02-09, 23:39   Link #130
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Wow. I don't know if I could possibly be happier with the dub choices for SHnY. It's like a Who's Who of non-affiliated English VAs. The only thing missing is Steven Blum, but he could still turn up somewhere (Tanaguchi, maybe?).

Wendee Lee as Haruhi Suzumiya. This one surprised me. I thought she would have actually been best for Tsuruyu-san, and that Kari Wahlgren actually put forth the best "audition" on the asosbrigade website, but Ms. Lee isn't the most prolific female voice actress of all time for nothing, and she's carried the female lead on a pantheon-class anime (and pantheon-class dub) before, on Bebop. I'd expect something similar to her Tatsuki role from Bleach in this role, with maybe a little Faye Valentine indignation at times. I am very interested to see how she pulls off Live A Live.

Stephanie Sheh as Mikuru Asahina. She's definitely a rising star in the English dub world, with recent success in Eureka 7 and Bleach, and put forth easily the best--er--performance in the asosbrigade Mikuru auditions. While those auditions caught some heat for their notable lack of "voice" acting, I think they were a wonderful test example, as that type of acting is usually much more difficult to pull off than normal conversation or shounen-style action. Case-in-point is Winry's VA (whose name escapes me) in FMA. While she inarguably did a great job in most of that role, her acting as young Winry, especially in the flashback regarding the news from Ishbal, was weak, as her voice was basically the same, despite the large difference in age, and that unfortunately colored my opinion of those scenes. Similarly, if Mikuru's VA pulls off the normal acting, but tanks on the cos-raping (which there is a lot of), wouldn't it detract from the show? As for the "normal acting," Ms. Sheh has proven herself in her previous roles, especially FLCL's Mamimi (as Jennifer Sekiguchi--yes they are the same person), but I would expect something closer to Eureka for this role.

Michelle Ruff as Nagato Yuki. Easily the best at lack of emotion in the asosbrigade "auditions" for Yuki, and did fairly well at not sounding "too" robotic. While I haven't seen Chobits, I did read the manga and have seen some trailers, so I imagine her role as Chi would sound similar. Ironically for this role, Ms. Ruff has probably the best vocal range of any of the other actors cast, except maybe...

Crispin Freeman as Kyon. The no-brainer of no-brainers. This is like casting Pierce Brosnan as James Bond. His voice acting talent is indisputable, and his voice is as close to a perfect match to Tomokazu Sugita as you're coing to get on a gaijin. 'Nuff said. Again, I haven't seen Chobits, but for Kyon I expect some kind of happy medium between his S-Cry-Ed (Straight Cougar) and GitS (Togusa) roles, quite possibly his two best.

Jonny Yong Bosch as Koizumi Itsuki. I was bound to be disappointed for this role, no matter who they chose to play it, once it was evident that Ocean wouldn't be handling the voice acting. Simply put, Kirby Morrow (Inuyasha's Miroku) was born for this role, in much the same way as Freeman was for Kyon. Still, Bosch is a top-tier VA, if a little over-exposed right now, and turned in the second best asosbrigade "audition" (after Freeman, surprisingly). Also, he has an amazing ability to differentiate his roles through emotion alone. There's no mistaking Jonny Yong Bosch playing a role, as they're all basically the same voice (adjusting for age, as he showed on Eureka 7) but the different emotional flavor he puts into each role allows him to make them easily distinguishable from each other. I don't know how well that's going to work for the emotionally camouflaged Itsuki, but it does mean I can't really expect this performance to match one of his previous ones. Does need to work on his name pronunciation, though.

Bridget Hoffman as Ryoko Asakura. This one I know little about, as I've only seen the AMG movie once, and all I remember from it is Mary Elizabeth McGlynn (the Major from GitS) as Urd-sama (epic) and Steven Blum as the bad guy (perfect as always). Guess I've got another reason to pick up the DVD now, although no one ever manages to impress me as Belldandy other than Kikuko Inoue as the original. You just can't improve on perfection. I've got the Love Hina DVD box set at home, though, so I might as well take a listen to the English dub, although her voice for Shinobu should be very different. And dkellis is right in that her Belldandy voice should be in full effect here, from start to epic finish, to get the role right.

Kari Wahlgren as Tsuruya-san. Oh man. This could be the most important role of them all, and make or break the entire dub depending on how they handle her. I have complete faith in Ms. Wahlgren to turn in a stellar performance as directed, but it's the "as directed" that worries me. Anime characters with weird vocal mannerisms tend to be difficult to translate well, and are often disasterous when poorly regionalized (see ADV's version of Himeko from PPD!). The only times I can remember it being done well were with Ed in Cowboy Bebop (still the weakest dub performance in the series) and Haruko on FLCL, which does make me feel better about this being done well. I expect the director to try to pull some of that FLCL role out of Ms. Wahlgren, but they need to be careful to make sure she comes across as eccentric and not psychotically insane.

All in all, I've got a good feeling about this. **crosses fingers**
Old 2007-02-10, 13:57   Link #131
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Dub director Eric Sherman posted this on the AnimeonDVD.com forums:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Sherman

Hi! It's all been just as surprising to me!!! Including how AWFUL I am in this video... YUCK!! Anyway.... What I really wanted to say was that there is another surprise we have for you. Anyone interested in seeing the very first clips from the first few episodes that we're recording RIGHT NOW? You'll get to see several - and see the show reviewed -- on the new "AnimeTV" anime review video podcast that goes up NEXT THURSDAY (2/15)!! I hope you'll all check it out AND PLEASE LET US KNOW WHAT YOU THINK!!!!!!!

Eric P. Sherman
Secondary Director to Ultra Director Haruhi Suzumiya
Bang Zoom! Entertainment Eric P. Sherman
Bang Zoom! Entertainment, Inc.
www.bangzoomentertainment.com
Old 2007-02-11, 19:12   Link #132
Animexcel

I'm not sure how Wendy Lee will do as Haruhi. I do think she can pull off the singing, not the dialogue.
Old 2007-02-11, 20:09   Link #133
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

What do you think the fan reaction would be if they dubbed God Knows? And conversely, what do you think the reaction of the first-time viewer would be if they saw it switch from English to Japanese in that scene if they didn't dub the songs?

Meh . . . I guess we can always fall back on the excuse that Haruhi just wants to be unpredictable, lol.

I confess I don't know that much about Wendee Lee's voice acting abilities, although she seems to be recieving the most amount of discussion from fans, and for good reason I'd assume.
Old 2007-02-11, 20:31   Link #134
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirrinus View Post
What do you think the fan reaction would be if they dubbed God Knows? And conversely, what do you think the reaction of the first-time viewer would be if they saw it switch from English to Japanese in that scene if they didn't dub the songs?

Meh . . . I guess we can always fall back on the excuse that Haruhi just wants to be unpredictable, lol.

I confess I don't know that much about Wendee Lee's voice acting abilities, although she seems to be recieving the most amount of discussion from fans, and for good reason I'd assume.
Two words: Faye Valentine.

Other roles you can find here courtesy of Anime News Network's Anime Encyclopedia!

If she can play Ryoko from Real Bout High School, then she can pull off Haruhi!

Old 2007-02-11, 21:19   Link #135
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

To be honest, I never really watched much of the English dub of Cowboy Bebob. Only saw like 2 or 3 episodes, and that was a long time ago.
Old 2007-02-12, 22:26   Link #136
GyroidFanatic

Quote:

It's not that rare for anime.

*remembers Sakura Saku insert in Love Hina*
Old 2007-02-14, 02:42   Link #137
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
To be honest, I never really watched much of the English dub of Cowboy Bebob. Only saw like 2 or 3 episodes, and that was a long time ago.
That's a shame. Cowboy Bebop is widely regarded as one of the best English dubs ever, if not the best. I know for a lot of people that's not saying much, but it is really an excellent dub. Heck, even people who don't like English dubs like the Bebop dub. Some even--gasp!--prefer it.

Of course, one of the reasons why it worked out so well is because the story is very American in feel (which makes me feel good about the upcoming Black Lagoon dub). Since Haruhi isn't, I don't think it'll ever really approach Bebop in popularity over here. For one thing, there's not enough action for the Adult Swim crowd. Secondly, it looks too "high schoollish" for some of the snobbier American fans, who will also be turned off by the (well-deserved for once) hype. And finally, it'll lose the "high school anime" fans fairly quickly (halfway through Episode 00, for some) as it's not formulaic or soapy enough. To all of which I say, "Their loss." The dub should still be great, though.
Old 2007-02-14, 14:02   Link #138
darkchibi07

Send a message via AIM to darkchibi07 Send a message via MSN to darkchibi07
Just a reminder, AnimeTV is going to premiere TOMORROW! They will show clips of the English dub of Haruhi Suzumiya as well as said so in this press release:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/pres...emieres-feb-15

Whew, good thing they decided to release it on YouTube as well.
Old 2007-02-15, 23:37   Link #139
Mirrinus
Bemused Scholar

A sample of some scenes dubbed in English can be found in AnimeTV's review of Haruhi Suzumiya:

http://www.goanimetv.com/watch_animetv/index.php
Old 2007-02-16, 00:45   Link #140
Asrialys

Haha, pretty neat. The "Mikuru Beam" was done nicely. LOL Shamisen...
Closed Thread