AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-07-27, 03:56   Link #61
Nork22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pen3 View Post
You are thinking of History Channel 5 years ago, now it is all Ancient Aliens, Pawn Stars and Swamp People. Well they aren't as bad as NatGeo TV though. Their magazine is still great, but the TV is on a whole new path.
Heh... admittedly I don't watch a lot of TV these days, so yeah it's the closet thing I can associate with.
Old 2016-07-30, 08:37   Link #62
Dop
Mmmm....

Spoiler for Ep4:
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-07-30, 17:20   Link #63
Yamada II

Episode 4

Weakest episode so far. I really preferred their style where Mari goes into the past and we see how the scientist accomplished what they did and then those stuff about the past which are not seen in the present etc. Here Mari didn't see Volta make that cell he was known for and on top of that we get some crappie development that Mari's dad is some time traveling hero who changes the past to make things right. (kinda reminds me of that cartoon, Time Squad, which did the same thing lol). Really not liking this development. Mari did experience a war first hand as Austrian soldiers were forcefully taking things away from citizens for the war and one of Volta's students was shot in front of her. That was interesting. But the part about Eiji being a time traveling hero was kinda unnecessary I think. They should just stick to having Mari learn things by going into the past and showing the scientists accomplish their feat. Also, Volta was one hell of a magician, making a moe moe girl appear out of nowhere. Would be pretty hilarious if they show something like some history books mentioning stuff like this which happened because of Mari.
Yamada II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-06, 17:05   Link #64
Yamada II

Episode 5

So this time Waka goes to meet the scientist in the past along with Mari. And they meet Faraday, the electromagnetism guy. Faraday wasn't educated which is something quite surprising since I had assumed that most scientists discovering stuff related to physics or whatever would at least know what maths is. Faraday completed the electromagnetism experiment which Sir Davy and his friend failed at. And his thesis got accepted which pissed off Davy because he took it as this illiterate bastard taking credit for something he did. Faraday is trying out stuff even though he isn't as literate as most scientists out there. His lack of acquaintance with maths isn't stopping him. But Davy saying those things to him will probably dishearten him a bit after which he'll find his resolve next week based on the next episode title.

The people after Hayase's experiment don't know what exactly he was doing. They think that he's just transporting stuff from here to there whereas the man is actually doing time travel. The apple came back rotten because it spent some days out in some unknown time period in some unknown land. And now those guys are paying a visit to the Hayase residence.

Lol when Mari told Faraday that she made the kite for Franklin's experiment. A moe girl played such an important role. We also got that bit about the girls' short leg revealing skirts being looked at with disgust. Mrs Davy considered the two girls immoral or whatever for such short skirts. And only one person can be transported at once without the system overloading so one of them was sent back. Now Waka is alone in 19th century London with some illiterate dude who looks hot and plays with electricity and magnets lol.

What I want from this show is more focus on the scientists and their troubles rather than Hayase's troubles with whatever person. The latter part really isn't getting me good while the former is pretty neatly done.
Old 2016-08-12, 19:18   Link #65
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Did anyone else notice that in episode six Faraday has a book with the name "Vincent Law" on the cover? I'm not sure what it's supposed to mean, but it was funny. (Don't read too far down that page if you've never seen Ergo Proxy and want to avoid spoilers.)

I've tried to find the timestamp, but I gave up because it's just a frame or two in the 22 minutes.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-13, 17:11   Link #66
Yamada II

Episode 6

So Waka is alone and lets out her anger on poor Faraday. Meanwhile, Mari finally remembers that she had to tell Shun to press that triangular button. One thing's for sure here, they are in no mood of explaining how the time travel thing works here. They synchronized the past with the future so now time passes by at the same time in both periods. One thing bugging me here though is what view do they get to see from that clock? The view constantly changes as if there's some camera over there giving them different shots. At one point they see things from Waka's point of view and immediately after they get a view of Waka. Well, not like the other stuff here is making much sense.

Faraday doesn't lose hope even though Sir Davy is out there trying his level best to get Faraday kicked out on charges of plagiarism. It was pretty cool of them to show Faraday doing an experiment for the first time. He already made a current carrying wire move with a magnet nearby so he tries to produce current with a wire and magnet. And he fails in this first attempt. Previously they only showed the successful experiments of the scientists so it was nice to see a failed experiment. Now onto Morse. He probably was the guy behind the Morse code or something.
Old 2016-08-13, 18:26   Link #67
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamada II View Post
Now onto Morse. He probably was the guy behind the Morse code or something.
He invented the telegraph which, of course, required a method to code letters into the dots and dashes. Within the theme of the show, the telegraph relied on electromagnetism.

Morse was also quite a well-respected portrait painter. That's why he's shown in front of an easel in the OP.
Old 2016-08-14, 16:48   Link #68
chaos_animagic

ep 6, this time the girls didn't really "help" in the science.

more or less the Dad did the actual push on the science.

All Waka did was going crazy emo on things from beginning to the end.

Also, looks like they can now pick the Scientists they want to head to. Not sure if they're gonna be skipping some of them or not, or still go in Chronological order or back and forth style, lol.
chaos_animagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-20, 19:28   Link #69
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

What's up with Mari's father? Why doesn't he want to go back home and eat his wife's delicious patisserie and help Mari with her school work? If Mari can commute between the present and the past, why can't oto-san? I'm even more concerned about the image of fatherhood this show portrays to kids than I was about the emphasis on Western invention.

He's not as weird as Misaki's mother in Angelic Layer, but just as remote.

And, please, can we stop with supposed "romantic" ties between Shun and Mari? He's what, a decade older than her?

She must have done better in school as time goes on considering that the book mentions her as the head of some scientific agency in the future.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2016-08-20 at 20:51.
Old 2016-08-20, 19:42   Link #70
Yamada II

Episode 7

So Shun has discovered how to work this time traveling machine and he sends Mari into the past and then sends her seven or so years ahead. And here we have Mr. Eiji messing.around with important historical people and then having to make up for his mistakes. Don't nekoing mess with them in the first place dammit!

The book wasn't written by Eiji – it came from the future during one of his experiments. And in that book it is written that Professor Shun does something sugoi in the field of time travel and Mari also does something cool related to whatever Shun does. So the book could have been sent by Shun during the time travel experiments by Eiji. And it could be here so that Mari learns stuff and then go on to make those big contributions similar to how Eiji is travelling through time to help those scientists do their scientific job.
Old 2016-08-21, 06:00   Link #71
Router25
World Connector. I think

I think Mari was the inspiration for Shun to invent time travel.
I also thinking of Shun as a girl during the moment he was cheering up Mari with Waka doing a seiyuu reference joke.
Old 2016-08-27, 16:58   Link #72
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Ah, the mandatory beach episode! Waka seems to have inherited her mother's physical assets.

I was wondering at the beginning of the trip whether Waka's mother was married given her behavior. Waka's mother sure fell hard for rich-bad-guy-san's charms, but then she announced she had a husband. I don't recall seeing Waka's father anywhere along the way before, but I might have missed him.

Waka's first job now is to hold Rika-chan really tight and tell her that everything is okay, that she and Mari have both disappeared before, and they both came back fine. I also think the time has come for the two girls and Shun to talk about what has been happening. Do they think they've done something wrong? Do they think Hikari doesn't know how weird her husband is, and that traveling though time is just something he'd do? (That question seems to have been answered definitively this episode.) Whatever their reasoning the kids need to talk to Mari's mother. First, though, they've got to get out of the clutches of rich-bad-guy-san.

In case it wasn't 100% obvious, Bell has to board the train to attend the 1876 World's Fair and demonstrate the telephone. It was a sensation and took off because of that event. Bell's pursuit of a patent for the telephone tells me he saw it as more central to his life than the presentation here suggests. We'll see how they portray Edison, who was not always a nice man in his business dealings. (During the war over DC vs AC current, Edison claimed about his AC competitor George Westinghouse, "Just as certain as death, Westinghouse will kill a customer within six months after he puts in a system of any size. He has got a new thing and it will require a great deal of experimenting to get it working practically.")

Tomatsu Haruka again shines as Mari's mother. She does these smart, sprightly roles so well. And who else would you pick for Waka's mother but Inoue Kikuko, with her over-forty yet "ever-seventeen" voice?

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2016-08-27 at 21:53.
Old 2016-08-27, 21:25   Link #73
Yamada II

Episode 8

So they all go to the beach just because. And they meet Mikage over there. He's a sly sonuvabitch and is doing whatever he's doing to keep them busy and to get on their good side. And thanks to Rika's timely juice spilling, the important book wasn't stolen by Mikage's secretary. Good job, Rika.

Mari doesn't time travel until the last minute of the episode. It's all Eiji in the past with Bell helping him get on the train to tell the world about the telephone. And Mari goes back in time in her swimsuit. Everyone will surely be losing their minds lol.
Old 2016-08-28, 12:02   Link #74
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Episode 8

So they all go to the beach just because. And they meet Mikage over there. He's a sly sonuvabitch and is doing whatever he's doing to keep them busy and to get on their good side. And thanks to Rika's timely juice spilling, the important book wasn't stolen by Mikage's secretary. Good job, Rika.

Mari doesn't time travel until the last minute of the episode. It's all Eiji in the past with Bell helping him get on the train to tell the world about the telephone. And Mari goes back in time in her swimsuit. Everyone will surely be losing their minds lol.
Indeed. In the time she jumped to, I'm pretty sure even prostitutes wouldn't wear that sort of outfit. There will be incredible outrage at her wearing such terribly vulgar clothes. They've addressed this a few times, but I seriously believe that these people have deliberately and drastically understated how people would react to that sort of outfit. They'd better make some note of just how much the Victorian period detested nudity here, because as I said in reality they'd call her a harlot and reproach her for walking around in such inappropriate attire. This is especially true since at that time period prostitutes were a very major social concern.

EDIT: 9th episode:
Sure enough, they toned the reaction down drastically. People responded to her scandalous outfit, but realistically there would have been shock and outrage at the sight I believe, and instead they just turned up their nose and walked away. Too bad. Would be funny, though, if this results in the history books being rewritten to say that Bell almost failed to meet with the judges because he was caught with a fallen woman.

Last edited by BWTraveller; 2016-09-02 at 20:02.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-09-03, 17:15   Link #75
Yamada II

Episode 9

So no one lost their minds over Mari's mizugi except for that one woman and even her reaction was toned down. I expected more people reacting to her skin revealing outfit. The reaction from that one woman could have been worse if she was wearing a bikini lol.

So Akira finds out about this time traveling stuff and to make things worse, the compass just had to stop working right now lol. Shun goes into the past to meet Bell, show him some cool stuff and bring back Mari. And things end with Mari being barred from time traveling. Well at least Akira got to talk to her husband again. And said husband should have really explained to Mari who Mikage is. Now we will have Hertz-san next week.
Old 2016-09-04, 18:37   Link #76
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Spoiler for Shun x Mari:
I liked this week's Quick Science about fiber optics. I had forgotten that the photons bounce around inside the fiber. I'm 66 years old, and I've thought about light off and on all my life. I still can't get my head around the wave/particle duality of electromagnetic radiation. I understand the theory more or less, but it's beyond my intuitive ken. I can't see either the waves or the particles. I "just see."
Old 2016-09-10, 21:30   Link #77
Yamada II

Episode 10

So Mikage busts into Eiji's lab and has Akira drop by too. And Mari disobeys her okaa-san by time traveling because she was worried that her father could also be in a situation similar to her when her compass malfunctioned. And thanks to her going to meet the dying Hertz, Mikage got access to the hidden room in the basement. Good going Mari. Now Mikage can take away all the time traveling machinery home or whatever and can also time travel.

Eiji had Hertz know that his research is going to have a lot of uses in the future. Lol Hertz was like "what kind of sorcery is this" when Eiji was taking his picture and sending it to the tablet in the next room. Now we'll have Thomas Edison next week.
Old 2016-09-11, 11:03   Link #78
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Hertz's condition was not caused, as the anime might have led you to believe, by exposure to cathode rays but by an obscure disease called granulomatosis with polyangiitis that affects the renal and pulmonary systems among others. Hertz died at just 36. Elizabeth never remarried, and his kawaii daughters Johanna and Mathilde both never married leaving Hertz without heirs. All three women lived well into the twentieth century with Mathilde dying in 1975 after a significant career in biology.

The name "Hertz" is now used to indicate what was called one "cycle per second" in a wave when I was growing up. House current alternates at 60 Hz in the US and 50 Hz in Europe. Wifi radios send signals that oscillate at billions of Hertz.

Quote:
And Mari disobeys her okaa-san by time traveling.... And thanks to her going to meet the dying Hertz, Mikage got access to the hidden room in the basement. Good going Mari.
Worse, Mari really played no role in the story about Hertz other than to help with dinner and hold up the tablet. (OK, she figured out Johanna might be out looking for plants.) Mari assuaged her own fears about her father, but for what?

I'm not sure Mari's time traveling had anything to do with Mikage finding the basement room. I figured he extorted it from one of the captives. They were all there already when Mari arrived. Also Mikage was wearing a miniature version of the compass; I don't recall seeing that before.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2016-09-11 at 17:44.
Old 2016-09-11, 16:25   Link #79
Yamada II

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I'm not sure Mari's time traveling had anything to do with Mikage finding the basement room. I figured he extorted it from one of the captives. They were all there already when Mari arrived. Also Mikage was wearing a miniature version of the compass; I don't recall seeing that before.
The basement room only opens up whenever someone time travels (in this case mostly Mari). That has been shown a number of times before. The only person in the lab other than Mikage and his friends was Mari's mother. And she most likely doesn't know how to open that room. Waka was taken in as a captive after Mari went to Hertz's time when she was sneaking around the lab. The room opened up because of Mari going to the past. Even if they try to force anyone to spill the beans, only Shun possibly knows how to open that room. Akira came in only once and this is out of Waka's league. And Shun came in after Waka was taken in which means after the room opened up.

And Mikage probably got the compass from someone over there like Akira or Shun after capturing them.
Old 2016-09-11, 17:43   Link #80
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
The room opened up because of Mari going to the past.
I guess that makes sense. I admit I don't recall hearing exactly how the mechanism that opens the basement room works.

Mikage's compass looked much smaller than Mari's or Shun's. It's almost like a piece of jewelry and appears unique.

Tags
educational, time travel