Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-11-20, 09:58   Link #401
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
What a pleasure to be watching an anime that gets better as it goes along. Professional writing. Interesting characters. Inga (Toyosaki Aki) is terrific. And so is Kaishou (Miki Shinichirou).
Don't forget Kazamori! I've fallen in love with that character and her voice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
I went to see Episode 0 in the theaters tonight.

(Part of my job, I guess, but I paid for the ticket ).

I think the story is pretty dang crucial... It explains completely where Shinjurou and Inga came from and what happened, and also how he came to become a detective and help out/antagonize Kaishou.

Spoiler for major points only:

Spoiler for plot of episode 0, major spoilers:
That sounds crucial indeed. I didn't think the storyline of that movie would be so relevant. I wonder what they were thinking, releasing this only in theaters...
Old 2011-11-20, 11:00   Link #402
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
That sounds crucial indeed. I didn't think the storyline of that movie would be so relevant. I wonder what they were thinking, releasing this only in theaters...
It dovetails completely into the current episode with Kaishou's comments about "one truth". Almost like he knew who was behind it.

As to what they were thinking.. Make more money off these viewers!
Old 2011-11-20, 11:09   Link #403
LKK

Does anyone know how long (timewise) episode 0 is?

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-20, 12:29   Link #404
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miketyson View Post
Quarkboy: I thought of one more question about ep 0, and I don't think the question needs spoilering, so here goes:

Is there anything in ep 0 that explains why Shinjurou is so good at detective work? Does he just have a knack for it? Do his experiences in ep 0 give him a deeper insight into human nature and he uses that? Is it left unaddressed?

I'm really curious, because in the main series he seems phenomenally brilliant and clever with his deductive reasoning, but the background you described doesn't seem to address that at all.
Not addressed. The movie does take place 2 years before episode 1, though, so maybe he wasn't actually such a great detective at first but got better since he constantly had to feed Inga souls.

Actually if I had to hypothesize, maybe at first he totally abused Inga's hax question ability to solve mysteries at first and slowly developed his intuition over the past 2 years.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-20, 12:34   Link #405
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
It dovetails completely into the current episode with Kaishou's comments about "one truth". Almost like he knew who was behind it.

As to what they were thinking.. Make more money off these viewers!
I overheard some people talking after the movie basically saying "How are people supposed to understand the series without seeing this?" and the other one responded "I guess they want people to have to buy the blu-rays...".

FYI, the theater I went to only had about 40-50 people in it (1/4-1/6th full), even though it was the 9 PM showing on Saturday night (opening day).

I went to see it in one of the theaters that was probably the least popular (Fuchu city), although it's only playing on night showings (7:30 PM+), and only at 10 theaters or so total in the entire country, and only for 2 weeks.

Note that even though it was 50 minutes the ticket cost the same as a normal movie late show (1200 yen).
Sam Pinansky
Old 2011-11-20, 12:55   Link #406
miketyson

Thanks again for the information, Quarkboy, and your theory's certainly a good one. And I agree with the people you talked to at the theater: the information in your summary changes a lot of how I interpret what's been happening in the story so far. "Is there only one truth?", indeed.
miketyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-21, 15:11   Link #407
amasposu

Lots of story development in this episode 6. This episode shows that although Kaishou is a well-respected individual, he is far from perfect; he even commits adultery. I'm very curious who the two people are at the end of the episode and whether they will play a significant role in the story.

5 episodes left. =(
amasposu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-21, 15:44   Link #408
wm4

Quote:
Originally Posted by poisui View Post
Lots of story development in this episode 6. This episode shows that although Kaishou is a well-respected individual, he is far from perfect; he even commits adultery.
5 episodes left. =(
Kaishou as a tyrant in his area as he always is, but he shouldn't deserve a bad name
for something he didn't do, such as adultery.

I hope it have more seasons later.
wm4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-21, 18:46   Link #409
amasposu

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm4 View Post
Kaishou as a tyrant in his area as he always is, but he shouldn't deserve a bad name
for something he didn't do, such as adultery.

I hope it have more seasons later.
What are you talking about? He did commit adultery.
Old 2011-11-21, 18:54   Link #410
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
What are you talking about? He did commit adultery.
And I have to echo wm4...where are you getting this from?

As someone mentioned before, the 'affair' thread was a red herring.

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-21, 19:53   Link #411
amasposu

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
And I have to echo wm4...where are you getting this from?

As someone mentioned before, the 'affair' thread was a red herring.
I'm using Doki's translation so I don't know how the other subgroups went about this episode.

The episode is very subtle about it but the three pieces of evidence are:

#1) Shinjuurou says to Kaishou: "So you covered up the evidence of child abuse, and as a result, the children's lives were... the same way you covered up your own crime."

The "your own crime" that Shinjuurou talks about is referring to Kaishou's adultery. There really is nothing else "the crime" can be referring to, except for adultery.

#2) Kaishou's response to #1: "After people experience love a number of times, aside from realizing how boring it truly is, they realize they are really none the wiser. As a result, they become unable to live without love."

If Kaishou had not commit the "crime" that Shinjuurou talked about. Kaishou could have defended himself. But he didn't.

Also, notice that Kaishou's response to Shinjuurou's comment is related "love." If Shinjuurou was talking about a crime that is not adultery, then it would make no sense for Kaishou to suddenly bring up the subject of love. Deductively, the love that Kaishou talks about and the "crime" that Shinjuurou talks about are the same thing. It is adultery. Had Kaishou and Takako not commit adultery, there also would be no reason for Kaishou to respond to Shinjuurou the way he did in #2. "They become unable to live without love" is likely a confession of how weak he and Takako were when they committed adultery together.

#3) Yajima Takako is sleeping on a different side.

This is self-explanatory. If Takako hadn't been sleeping with Kaishou or some other guy, she wouldn't suddenly sleep on the other side of the bed.
Old 2011-11-21, 20:19   Link #412
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
The episode is very subtle about it but the three pieces of evidence are:

#1) Shinjuurou says to Kaishou: "So you covered up the evidence of child abuse, and as a result, the children's lives were... the same way you covered up your own crime."

The "your own crime" that Shinjuurou talks about is referring to Kaishou's adultery. There really is nothing else "the crime" can be referring to, except for adultery.
I may well be mistaken, but adultery is not a crime (犯罪) but a sin/indiscretion (つみ) in Japan - i.e. the term you'd use in Japanese (and in English!) is different. My feeling is that the crime (or crimes - Japanese doesn't differentiate between singular and plural) Shinjuurou is referring to is a separate matter - possibly the fact that Kaishou constructs lies to cover up inconvenient truths, possibly something more sinister that we haven't found out yet.

Also, Shinjuurou's incomplete sentence: "as a result, the children's lives were..." => lost and buried? or something similar. At this point, Shinjuurou thought that the children were dead. IMHO, he assumed that Kaishou covered up their deaths to protect Takako (and Yajima's reputation).

Quote:
#2) Kaishou's response to #1: "After people experience love a number of times, aside from realizing how boring it truly is, they realize they are really none the wiser. As a result, they become unable to live without love."

If Kaishou had not commit the "crime" that Shinjuurou talked about. Kaishou could have defended himself. But he didn't.

Also, notice that Kaishou's response to Shinjuurou's comment is related "love." If Shinjuurou was talking about a crime that is not adultery, then it would make no sense for Kaishou to suddenly bring up the subject of love. Deductively, the love that Kaishou talks about and the "crime" that Shinjuurou talks about are the same thing. It is adultery. Had Kaishou and Takako not commit adultery, there also would be no reason for Kaishou to respond to Shinjuurou the way he did in #2. "They become unable to live without love" is likely a confession of how weak he and Takako were when they committed adultery together.
Kaishou is talking about it in rather general terms. I personally believe that he was talking about Takako in this instance, about how she was unable to go on without her husband beside her loving her.

As for Kaishou not defending himself.

#1 As noted above, I don't think he and Shinjurou were referring to the supposed adultery.
#2 Even if they had been, would you believe someone who simply tells you "No, I wasn't"? IMHO, the reveal of the kids, along with Kouyama's explanation, told Shinjuurou everything he needed to know about the situation.

Quote:
#3) Yajima Takako is sleeping on a different side.

This is self-explanatory. If Takako hadn't been sleeping with Kaishou or some other guy, she wouldn't suddenly sleep on the other side of the bed.
Her husband had been gone for three years - i.e. there was no one on that side of the bed anymore. She was going crazy. Might it just be possible that her habit changed because of these two facts?

======

As Kaishou says at the end: "Is there always one truth?"

edit: Good heavens. What's the point of telling me that something 'doesn't make sense' anonymously if you're not even going to discuss it?

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2011-12-03 at 17:25.
Old 2011-11-21, 20:45   Link #413
amasposu

Unlike my post, which is based on deduction, yours is entirely speculation. It lacks credibility. Sorry. I don't buy any of what you say.
Old 2011-11-21, 22:54   Link #414
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Unlike my post, which is based on deduction, yours is entirely speculation. It lacks credibility. Sorry. I don't buy any of what you say.
Which is PRECISELY the point that this series is trying to make, IMHO. That what people 'deduce' based on the evidence they 'perceive' isn't necessarily the truth. Or 'the only truth'.

Ever heard of postmodernism?

Anyway, I'm happy to wait til more is revealed. But I think your so-called 'evidence' that Kaishou was having an affair with Takako is rather thin as well, since you're basing it all on dialogue that isn't actually specific enough.

===

Oh, and about the "hanzai" (犯罪) vs. "tsumi" (罪) issue: my dictionary tells me that "hanzai" is basically what we'd call a "criminal offense" in the West. So unless "adultery" is a criminal offense in the Japan of UN-GO, I strongly contest your first piece of 'evidence' and half of what you said supports your second piece of 'evidence'.

- Patrick Stokes

Last edited by karice67; 2011-11-21 at 23:16.
Old 2011-11-21, 23:28   Link #415
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Calm down, everyone. Let's all agree on one thing at least:

Clearly Kaishou is hitting his head maid.

Anything other than that is pure speculation .
Sam Pinansky
Old 2011-11-22, 21:01   Link #416
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
Calm down, everyone. Let's all agree on one thing at least:

Clearly Kaishou is hitting his head maid.

Anything other than that is pure speculation .
Did what I wrote come across as being really forceful? I didn't intend it to be...

LOL. I'll buy that.

- Patrick Stokes

Old 2011-11-24, 12:53   Link #417
konart

Spoiler for made my day:
Old 2011-11-24, 13:37   Link #418
miketyson

EP7: Wow, very interesting episode, 100% not what I expected from the preview. Just make sure to watch past the credits.

Spoiler for speculation:

Last edited by miketyson; 2011-11-24 at 13:51. Reason: Added some thoughts.
miketyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-24, 15:35   Link #419
DezoPenguin
Beta by Accident
*Author

Wow, my mind is completely screwed now. I can only assume that...

Spoiler for References Quarkboy's earlier Ep. 0 spoilers:
DezoPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-24, 15:50   Link #420
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

All the clues needed to understand exactly what's going on are in the episode if you look very closely. Or you can cheat and look at the next episode preview .
Sam Pinansky

Tags
aikawa, bones, mizushima, noitamina