AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2009-09-28, 03:00   Link #981
KLGChaos
The Shermain

New rankings are up and MB is bottom five again. I guess people aren't fans of Medaka being a hypocrite about following rules by refusing to change her uniform to the normal school uniform. Not even Onigase helped.

The next chapter should be the very beginning of the Unzen arc, so we'll see where it goes from there. Chapter 18 may end up getting it out of the bottom five, but I think the others may drive it further down... unless seeing Medaka in her underwear for 19 and 20 actually does something. Either that, or the pure ridiculousness of what happened with drive it further down. :P
Old 2009-09-28, 09:05   Link #982
Key Board
Carbon

I think Nisio Isin really misjudged the target audience

Medaka isn't a hated character per say.... she's just incredibly hard to relate and root for

In fact, I find myself rooting for Unzen. There's something wrong here.
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-28, 11:33   Link #983
Jourdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Board View Post
I think Nisio Isin really misjudged the target audience

Medaka isn't a hated character per say.... she's just incredibly hard to relate and root for

In fact, I find myself rooting for Unzen. There's something wrong here.
Touche, i felt that way a few times too...he's so desperate pulling off tricks and traps and busting out trump cards while she just rages and stops them all..i hate that sort of thing even in normal shonen.
Jourdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-28, 14:11   Link #984
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
Well that relates to our tendency to root for the underdog, and at this moment, Unzen is the underdog.
Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-28, 14:16   Link #985
KLGChaos
The Shermain

I think in Medaka Box EVERYONE'S the underdog.

As you said, people tend to root for them. I know I always do. I prefer Luigi to Mario, I like to see sidekicks get their due in American comics, etc, etc. I even rooted for Onigase.

With Medaka never being on the losing end, it definitely takes so much away. Tvtropes.com said it right when they described God Mode Sues as boring.

As for Unzen, what I like about him is that he's an entertaining character at least. He's the only person who's brought any amount of character development into the manga and though I don't agree with his world views, at least he's fun to have around.
Old 2009-09-28, 14:24   Link #986
Cinocard

Quote:
With Medaka never being on the losing end
May be...not yet. We can only hope.

But obviously, we can like Unzen as a villain, but it's hard to like Medaka as a protagonist. I don't care about her anymore, I just hope that when this arc is finally over, Unzen will still be a villain, for Christ's sake.

But it's amusing how this topic actually accumulates posts even faster than Rosario+Vampire, lmao.

Last edited by Cinocard; 2009-09-28 at 14:43.
Cinocard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-28, 14:41   Link #987
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

I've always liked Medaka as a character. I'm not gonna fault her for being the most hardcore thing in existence, and she's the main character, so she gets bonus points for that. I've never liked the little brat. The only remark the swimmer chick had about him summed up by feelings pretty well. "What's with this mischievous kid? I don't think his actions are cute at all." Even if he's being shown more and more as an underdog now, his initial appearance and actions marked him as a villain, and not a classy one, so I didn't like him.

Now, Medaka as a manga . . . let's just say I wish things had followed the one shot premise a little more.
DJ Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-28, 15:01   Link #988
Nvis
Where are the good animes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinocard View Post
But it's amusing how this topic actually accumulates posts even faster than Rosario+Vampire, lmao.
Now that Air Gear is on hiatus, I need that weekly dose of manga badly.

And someone needs to explain to me how R+V got so popular nowadays. I read it, but it's kinda 'meh' to me now.
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-28, 21:00   Link #989
shaolinx
Kani Fascination

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvis View Post
Now that Air Gear is on hiatus, I need that weekly dose of manga badly.

And someone needs to explain to me how R+V got so popular nowadays. I read it, but it's kinda 'meh' to me now.
It was pretty funny at times, and pretty good overall at being a harem/ecchi series. The characters are cute, theres a storyline, and the main character is not a wimp. Not much you can ask for more in a harem manga.

But somehow the novelty just died off for me though. There are mangas out there that are able to recapture my attention time and time again after 5-6 of reading hiatus but R+V cant seem to do that.

I am afraid that will be the same with Medaka box, which is why I will be holding off until the manga is finished or canceled to continue reading.

/me still has hopes for Medaka Box.
shaolinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-28, 22:44   Link #990
Kurosu
KORA!!
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Kurosu
lol, take a look at the awesome cover for the first volume:

Kurosu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 00:16   Link #991
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosu View Post

And the 2nd cover will feature Medaka behind a small Zenkichi, holding a leash.... or it'll just leave him out entirely.

After all, his importance to the story has dropped to zero ever since the Akune arc.
Old 2009-09-29, 00:17   Link #992
Nvis

Quote:

^
Medaka looks old in that pic.

I kinda prefered the magazine pic on the first pg of this thread.
Old 2009-09-29, 00:22   Link #993
Jourdal

Quote:

This pic is misleading lol...making it appear that there's 2 main characters.
Jourdal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 00:38   Link #994
Dark Mage

The cover is misleading making the readers think Zenkichi is someone important in the manga, when in reality, its all Medaka and little else
Old 2009-09-29, 00:43   Link #995
Nvis

Well, it is focused on him like the first 5+ chapters. And he's even the narrator(?).

Almost 1000 posts in this thread. Who will be the lucky 1000th poster?
Old 2009-09-29, 01:09   Link #996
Darknemo2000

Send a message via AIM to Darknemo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Mage View Post
The cover is misleading making the readers think Zenkichi is someone important in the manga, when in reality, its all Medaka and little else
Not really. Zen was a main character in the beginning, his role started dropping with Akune's arc until his fall ended up him being a lap-dog and faithfully providing info on how awesome Medaka is while wagging his tail in amazement...

But since the first volume consists mostly from ch 7-8 (maybe even 9) it does make sense to put him on the cover next to Medaka. If this would be second volume cover then we could blame the manga cover to be misleading, but in the beginning he was a main character.

I am rooting for Unzen as well. And I dont even like the guy. I just dislike him less than Medaka.
Darknemo2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 01:18   Link #997
Zwei
Natural Born Killer
*Graphic Designer

Weird. This manga has a H-doujinshi called "Fuku Kaichou no Asai Jijou". And even there, she has to be the dominant one.
Old 2009-09-29, 03:22   Link #998
OctoberFlames

Oh look, now she's dragging an entire portion of the school building around with her.

Reading this manga is like watching a train wreck in slow motion.
OctoberFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 08:50   Link #999
KLGChaos
The Shermain

Chapter is fully up now.

Only good thing about the chapter is that it looks like Zen might finally do something next chapter to stop her from killing Unzen.

A few weeks ago when this whole explosion things first started, I made a couple predictions. One, ended with Medaka being hurt and everyone saving her. This didn't happen, obviously, though it would have been nice to see.

The second prediction I wrote had Medaka surviving without a scratch and the others getting hurt, sending her into a rage, which was spot on. The second part of the prediction had Zen coming in to stop her from finishing Unzen off, which if his words this chapter are any indication, might also come true.

Sort of predictable, but at least it'll give Zen some semblance of being needed... once every several years when she goes ballistic. He'll probably fade into the background again after that, though.

I also noticed she said that it was a battle between Justice and "her way of doing things", which just sounds somewhat arrogant to me. As if it wasn't a fight between Justice without morals and morals without Justice, but more a battle between Justice without morals and a tyrant trying to control people into doing things "her way". Makes me want to root for Unzen even more.

And all this talk about being a demon, beast, etc. It'd be fine if that were the case, but it feels like the author is completely beating around the bush in explaining Medaka's strength because he still wants to pass her off as human. If she's some demon in human skin, than just say so.

Most importantly, if everyone just forgives her and says it's normal for her to tear down half the school, I'll seriously be wondering what the hell is going on with this manga. The only explanation for that kind of rampant, ridiculous stupidity is if it's all in Medaka's deranged head.

Last edited by KLGChaos; 2009-09-29 at 09:04.
KLGChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-09-29, 09:28   Link #1000
Wrath88
Kissing...

KLGChaos, you obviously haven't seen some of the other series where there's this trope about the student council wielding insane amounts of power :P. Most recent one I can recall is Sora wo Kakeru Shoujo, where the SC opposes a government police force.

Just accept it as comedy, albeit a not very good one.

Tags
action, comedy, harem, nishio, romance, shounen, student council