Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2015-06-27, 13:42   Link #861
frodonk
Master of Killing Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by steam fish View Post
how come yukino still didnt give her chocolate to hachiman even at the end lol
Because she can't decide whether to break the dynamics of the group and do something she decided by herself for once, or let everything be and maintain the status quo. Even until the end she still chose to keep the status quo before bat8man interrupted her.

Oh all the things left unsaid in this episode, I'll admit I didn't get all of them and had to get a cheat sheet to make the episode clear.

Ugh I've never wanted an s3 for something so badly. I was perfectly content thinking at the end of s1 that 8man and yukino would continually and eternally trade barbs against each other inside that classroom, but then this season happened. I hope fervently that the last volumes that are to be released be adapted into a s3, even if it's unlikely to happen.

I don't even care about the best girl at this point (obviously it's christmas cake sensei), I just want things to wrap up properly in anime form.

I'm giving this series a 11/10 just because I saw 8man crying.
frodonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-27, 14:39   Link #862
ChampDream
Alive

Well I didn't expect that. I was really ok with it, now I wish for S3.
Old 2015-06-27, 15:24   Link #863
Wandering Soul

Overall I liked this season and that was quite the cliffhanger to end on. My only real problem with this season was that there was too much drama and not enough humor.

I also liked Iroha a lot even though I was sure I wouldn't like her. Yui is still best girl to me though.
Old 2015-06-27, 17:03   Link #864
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

This cliffhanger of an “ending” reminds me of other good rom-com that ended just as hanging in its second season as Oegairu Zoku, Haganai Next. It will be painfully long before we see the 3rd season of both series (heck, how many years has it been since Haganai Next and there’s still no 3rd season on sight). And there’s always the (high) possibility that we will never get the elusive 3rd season (Full Metal Panic! & Spice and Wolf, I’m still waiting hopelessly for you T-T).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
"Yukinoshita leaving her future in someone else's hands is absolutely unacceptable... Yukinoshita ought to solve her problems herself."

Sore FUCKING Aru! I'm seething with so much anger (I seriously wanted to smash my monitor when Yukinoshita repeated to Haruno, word for word, what Hachiman thought they should do) that I need to sleep it over, but THANK YOU Hachiman for saying the things that I've been raging on for the past few episodes.
But wasn’t 8man continued by thinking “Yukinoshita Yukino is a strong girl....That’s the ideal I had forced onto you.” So it could be that Yukino is really not as strong as we first thought. Now that she have someones to somewhat depend on, she slowly reveals some of her weaknesses that we didn’t see when she was still “by herself”.
Old 2015-06-27, 17:05   Link #865
Mercury
:c

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one above all View Post
Overall I liked this season and that was quite the cliffhanger to end on. My only real problem with this season was that there was too much drama and not enough humor.

I also liked Iroha a lot even though I was sure I wouldn't like her. Yui is still best girl to me though.
Yeah I know right. It only really had drama... Then it ended with a cliffhanger.
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-27, 17:07   Link #866
monster

Wait, is that it for this season? 13 episodes and I still don't understand what is going on. People are speaking words but nothing seems to have been said throughout the entire season, especially in this episode. What is the conflict/drama all about?
monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-27, 17:31   Link #867
zztop

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Wait, is that it for this season? 13 episodes and I still don't understand what is going on. People are speaking words but nothing seems to have been said throughout the entire season, especially in this episode. What is the conflict/drama all about?
From what I hear, this episode covers content from the still-unpublished Vol 11 of the novels. The anime covered all the available published volumes.

The question now is if there will still be enough hype for another anime season once author Watari Wataru has written the end of the Snafu saga (he says he'll be moving the story towards the ending now).
zztop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-27, 17:32   Link #868
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one above all View Post
My only real problem with this season was that there was too much drama and not enough humor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudie View Post
Yeah I know right. It only really had drama...
Well, this is “My Teenage Romantic-Comedy Gone Wrong” after all. It’s in the title .

Also, if the author is really serious about developing this story and bring it to satisfying conclusion, there's really nowhere to go aside from "more drama". In fact, there is a good example of stagnant romantic-comedy airing at the same time. It's called Nisekoi. It's full of sweet moments and comedy but the story itself is stuck and doesn't go anywhere. I don't think Watari want to go there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
This series’ specialty is characters not saying what they feel clearly or out loud (like some real Japanese out there) and relies heavily on implication and reference. And it demands the audience to “fill in the blanks” to understand. It's not the easiest thing to do (especially if we don't know Japanese and their culture) but I think the main conflict here boils down to “something genuine” that Hachiman wants. Can they still maintain their “threesome” friendship if they’re being honest and acted based on their feelings? And how can they help Yukino with her issues? All that jazz.
Old 2015-06-27, 17:53   Link #869
HandofFate

Yui is a great friend
Old 2015-06-27, 18:22   Link #870
Arya

What with that cliffhanger? Damn, I liked this second season a lot, my only complain is that it just scratched Yukino surface and only these last, what, two or three episodes, and then when she was right to make her request, ending of the season
Surely I'm glad since I was able to fully appreciate Yui since at first I considered her not really interesting and just there.

Back on the episode itself, I'm confused as usual by the way, it had already from the moment it started to snow that feeling of the end. So also the request of a date all three together already sounded like the last time they could have enjoyed together.
So, basically Yui bluffed all the time with yukino about having planned her confession to hikki, to the point Yukino left them alone thinking that was the right spot Yui had in mind (and the scene tagged along), to push her over the line making her think that the end was right around the corner, and then she instead did the exact opposite, telling her that the answer to her problem, not her alone, but of all of them, would have been just "thanking" Hikki instead of confessing. And then asking her if she'd agree with it.
So, let me ask this, where is the genuineness Hikki has been looking for in this resolution?

But, and then, don't be angry at me for what I'm gonna say I have nothing against Yui, also doesn't the deal implies also Yukino's backing off on her feelings for hikki? Is it here where the cruel comment was referring to? Mixed together with having pushed "the strong" (<- read, at her lowest point) Yukino thinking to be on the verge to lose everything for then give her a "better" option, or the only option given the set up? Is it truly that what is happened?
Having as a side dish Hikki being forced to step in saying no in her place, as a sort of confirmation to Yui about her fears, fears being the reason why she did it in the first place?
EDIT: Or either was all that to get Hikki stepping in and so get her answer?

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.

Last edited by Arya; 2015-06-27 at 18:32.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-27, 18:56   Link #871
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

I'm going to be honest. I think the show is interesting, and somewhat enjoyable... but I've heard that the student council arc was phenomenal or absolutely amazing... and that this season was supposed to be like absolutely amazing or really touching...

I honestly didn't see it as something that good. It was fine, but definitely nothing special (IMO). I give it a solid 10/10 (since I basically give anything I like a 10), but it's NO masterpiece.

I don't get why people say this series is so good... and that is after I account for the things that are unsaid. In the end, this series just talks a little bit about what it is to socialize, but really just barely scratches the surface. It isn't generic. It's nice. It's awkward and plays that aspect nicely, but I don't think it says very much that is actually meaningful. It just puts a lot of pathos into the way it says things. But that doesn't make me actually think very much of it.

Favorite Game Series: #0 The legend of heroes (everything but especially ZERO/AO) #1 Zero escape series. #2 Persona series. #3 Pokemon. #4 Bravely Default series. ; #5 Ace Attorney (including the spin-offs); #6 Legend of Zelda. #7 Dragon Quest (including the spin-offs)

Favorite Anime: Castle in the Sky (why is this so underrated ) Gankutsuou; Railgun S; Little Witch Academia (one of the most philosophically interesting/deep shows that I've seen, while also being the single most feel good of feel good shows that I have ever seen; literally the weirdest combination ever); Kill la Kill (because it saved anime )
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-27, 19:00   Link #872
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
EDIT: Or either was all that to get Hikki stepping in and so get her answer?
It was all Yui's keikaku, and it was doori in the end.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-27, 19:23   Link #873
NeutralZero

That was painful to watch...
esp for Yui...
but Hikki's interjection in that scene makes it looks like he's choosing Yukino over her and like an inderect rejection...
NeutralZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-27, 19:46   Link #874
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
I'm going to be honest. I think the show is interesting, and somewhat enjoyable... but I've heard that the student council arc was phenomenal or absolutely amazing... and that this season was supposed to be like absolutely amazing or really touching...

I honestly didn't see it as something that good. It was fine, but definitely nothing special (IMO). I give it a solid 10/10 (since I basically give anything I like a 10), but it's NO masterpiece.

I don't get why people say this series is so good... and that is after I account for the things that are unsaid. In the end, this series just talks a little bit about what it is to socialize, but really just barely scratches the surface. It isn't generic. It's nice. It's awkward and plays that aspect nicely, but I don't think it says very much that is actually meaningful. It just puts a lot of pathos into the way it says things. But that doesn't make me actually think very much of it.
I think the degree of your appreciation & investment depends on how much you can relate to and understand some characters or some situations in this series. Also, this series is more addressing the "flaw of (Japanese) everyday social-relationship" more than anything. After all, we get the POV of a socially-awkward rottenly-cynical boy with his “distorted” view of society with hilarious descriptions (like him prefer to be a bear and other silly stuffs like that). But surprisingly (to many people who saw it for the first time) some of his descriptions actually hold water and speaks volumes about the society as we know it (teenaage-Japanese society in particular). One example, some people don’t mind (and even hold onto) a very shallow relationship with others as long as they have “friends” to talk to or a group to hang out with. After all, not everyone is blessed with BFFs that understand and know you inside out. This is contrary to, for example, many (shounen) anime out there which over-glorified friendship as “teh greatest bond evahhh!!!” and actually addresses the nature of people's friendship in real life.

As for those who said that the anime (both seasons) is phenomenal or absolutely amazing, well they might’ve said what they genuinely feel, but again it really depends on each person’s investement and understanding of the story. All that said, there are also those who like to exaggerate like crazy. In that case, you should take what they said with a grain of salt .

I myself never feel that this series is an absolute masterpiece, but I think it passes the “great” and “very good” standard easily due to its content.
Old 2015-06-27, 19:49   Link #875
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

After sleeping over it, I think the underlying motivation of Yui's speech about herself being a selfish person who plays dirty, as well as wanting the three of them to stay the same way forever was motivated by the increasing closeness between Yukino and Hachiman. She was present at the infirmary scene (which she didn't interrupt) and at the bowl-dropping scene during the Valentine's Day baking (which she helped to diffuse the tension).

She might also have felt that as Yukino and Hachiman got closer, her place in the trio was slowly getting edged away, which is a fairly common social occurrence when a duo within a trio starts getting closer, causing the third member to feel left out. All of this meant that she would eventually lose both her friendship with Yukino and her currently one-sided romantic relationship with Hachiman.

She called herself selfish because staying the same way forever would mean that the gap between Yukino and Hachiman would be frozen, allowing her to maintain her relationships with both of them, even though that might not be the best outcome for Yukino and/or Hachiman.

Of course, it's possible that the speech was simply an act by Yui to try and bait Hachiman and spur him to action, but my current view is that Yui was probably serious about wanting to maintain the status quo, and that the club would have indeed remained at that stage had Hachiman not intervened.

Overall, all that's confirmed so far regarding the relationships among the trio is unfortunately not substantially greater than what we already know:
1. Yui definitely has romantic feelings for Hachiman but also greatly values her friendship with Yukino.
2. Yukino may or may not have romantic feelings for Hachiman (she herself may not know whether or not she does) and also values her friendship with Yui.
3. Hachiman does not return Yui's feelings at this point, and his view on Yukino is unknown. He definitely does not want the status quo.

Goeben Alaska Hood Albacore Archerfish

Lexington Hornet Taihou Ranger Surcouf

Wichita Houston Sirius Yuubari Brooklyn

Ikazuchi Hibiki Aviere Akizuki Suzutsuki

frivolity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-27, 20:13   Link #876
HandofFate

I was surprised Hikki got so excited about the sharks and stuff.
I think that's the most excited we seen him.
Old 2015-06-27, 20:24   Link #877
steam fish

that scene when hachiman went to yukino after the penguins, could it be seen as him choosing yukino over yui?
steam fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2015-06-27, 21:07   Link #878
Soliloquy
絶対領域に嵌り過ぎた。

That was unexpectedly emotional. Still this episode makes me like Yui more how open she is.
Old 2015-06-27, 21:18   Link #879
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Hachiman really need to make up his bloody mind

5/10 something seems to be missing
Old 2015-06-27, 21:43   Link #880
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
This series’ specialty is characters not saying what they feel clearly or out loud (like some real Japanese out there) and relies heavily on implication and reference. And it demands the audience to “fill in the blanks” to understand. It's not the easiest thing to do (especially if we don't know Japanese and their culture) but I think the main conflict here boils down to “something genuine” that Hachiman wants. Can they still maintain their “threesome” friendship if they’re being honest and acted based on their feelings? And how can they help Yukino with her issues? All that jazz.
I think I get that, it's just that I don't remember the previous season being this frustrating to watch. It's like watching people interacting with each other based on some unspoken secret they won't tell you and so the drama that ensues feels so jarring because you don't really get why it's happening.

The worst part is the whole deal with Yukino's sister. She's so annoying this season, but I can't fully appreciate even that reaction when I don't really understand why she's acting the way she does.
monster is offline   Reply With Quote