AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-01-27, 19:46   Link #401
ImperialFlameGod8190

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMT View Post
So it turns out to be much more fun to rage-watch this show so ... In this episode of the World's Most Incompetent Ghostbusters!

An All-You-Can-Eat Barbecue Buffet gets eaten out of business!
Hoover Girl gets stolen by goblins!
Butt-monkey also gets stolen by goblins!
Annoying Pervert Fairy gets Tai Chi Tits stolen by goblins!
Headphones Girl says a prayer: "Heavenly Father, if you're there ... please, please let them all get killed."
A miracle occurs, and everything is worse, because everybody lives better!

So this is what happens if your cast has zero common sense. Pedophile van Weird looking bus that turns up during the witching hour? Get right on board! Roofies Food served by Pedobear goblins? Eat that shit up! Go in with a mission to not eat the food, because you know that the food is actually full of roofies? Get peer-pressured into eating it anyway! Yes, I know that this episode is meant to showcase Hoover Girl and her craptastic home life; but they surely could've done it in a way where one isn't tempted to go "Wait ... isn't Butt-monkey a walking encyclopedia? Surely, he would've thought of tales like Hansel and Gretel? Right?" Also, having Hoover Girl decide to shake her wish-fulfillment fantasy just because Butt-Monkey told her that her sister might possibly come back home one of these days, maybe (but only if Hoover Girl promises to be good); and make put up with her overbearing, overcontrolling parents bearable again ... seems awfully contrived. Then again, this is fiction, so the power of a persuasive speech can't be discounted.

Setting aside the pants-on-fire idiocy displayed by the cast for a moment, this is yet another ridiculously pretty episode full of lots of excellent little animation moments. There is a neat reference to Tamako Market buried in the episode. Saori Hayami also puts in a good performance this episode. Finally, the episode is improved greatly by the lack of obnoxious fanservice.

Also, the world Hoover Girl and Butt-monkey find themselves in near the end of the episode looks an awful lot like The Desert from the Discworld series. Especially since crossing it to be with the fairies in Fairy-world would mean that Hoover Girl dies in this one.
Its hard to disagree with you that this show is bad and the lack of competence is amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one above all View Post
That was a nice episode. Wasn't as humor oriented or fan service filled as previous episodes. but considering this episode was supposed to be more emotional that's a good thing.

Got to find out why Reina is so attached to Mai and found out a little more about Haruhiko's family. In the end Reina decided to tough it off and try to see her human untied again one day instead of running away with her phantom parents. If she left she would be turning her back on her parents just like her sister did.
See it was a nice episode but again nice wont work. This is a series thats begging for that turning point moment but its yet to find it and it seems as though it wont find it.

Im the current vice-general of the DxD Army (aka the translators army.
We support translators efforts and i do not tolerate impatience by people waiting for translations

https://www.fanfiction.net/u/6980252/ This is my fanfiction page i have 6 stories to check out if you guys are interested
ImperialFlameGod8190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-27, 20:31   Link #402
SeaDoor

On a slightly side topic...
I wondering if the animation staff is making some visual mistakes with Ruru. Re-watched the episodes with the sound off and just watched the scenes with her in it. The animation team seems to be forcing her to occupy more of the frame and using severe perspective shifts and rapid character movement to do so. I am wondering if they are not coming very close to the same mistakes made with Jar-Jar. At this point, Ru-Ru is only an annoying speech pattern away.
SeaDoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-27, 20:53   Link #403
Shlugo

So as I though Reina had a strained relationship with her parents, and Phantoms showed up in response for that.

Well this explains why she looks up to Mai so much.

Come on Haruhiko, the first rule while being spirited away is to not eat any food you are offered. That's basics.

Everyone sure was happy when Mai showed up.

Oh god, getting thrown head first into a toilet must suck.

I like that the Phantoms actually were as nice as they seemed. Goes along with the idea that phantoms aren't an existence that should be feared.

And all it took was a bit of courage to repair their relations.

Pretty good episode even though there was no fight and Mai fondling herself. Maybe now Reina will stop feeling like the third wheel.
Shlugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-27, 22:29   Link #404
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Reina's bunny family is just awesome they just keep adding family members

Mai and Reina looked cute in bunny ears
Old 2016-01-28, 02:41   Link #405
novalysis

This is actually the first genuinely good episode, that drew me into the scenario and the world. It's here that Reina actually becomes a real character, not a cluster of tropes and jokes and fanservice excuses. One with histories, very recognizably human motivations, pathos, regrets and actual depth. Best of all, it's a phantom that preys on the innermost demons and yearnings of the cast. It's an episode whose writing quality will not out of place of an average second half Hibike Euphonium episode.

But what concerns me here, is that this story apparently is anime original, and not part of the light novel. I'm not sure whether this is a one episode wonder, or whether the original source material actually improves from here on out too, with corresponding improvements in story-telling quality. Then again, Kyo-ani is quite famous for rearranging its' source material, and going in sharply different directions, sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worse - they did this for Chuunibyou and Tamako Market for example.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-28, 03:22   Link #406
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Earlier posts state that Reina's background may be canon but was handled in an anime-original matter.

Anyway, as said by many, it's another decent episode which focuses on family, not only of Reina but also of Haruhiko. I always had this hunch that Reina is suffering from discrimination related to her special ability, and I wasn't that far off. Fortunately, after all of the painful stuff Reina had to endure, she manages to move forward and find a new family she can call her own in Haruhiko's club.

So far, the club is complete, but there's Little Miss AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA that may need decent company.

Quote:
I wondering if the animation staff is making some visual mistakes with Ruru. Re-watched the episodes with the sound off and just watched the scenes with her in it. The animation team seems to be forcing her to occupy more of the frame and using severe perspective shifts and rapid character movement to do so. I am wondering if they are not coming very close to the same mistakes made with Jar-Jar. At this point, Ru-Ru is only an annoying speech pattern away.
Apparently, Ruru exists to divert most of the exposition that Haruhiko does in the LNs to another character.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-28, 05:58   Link #407
Arya

It was a nice episode. The show is still unfocused and I don't see the direction it's trying to go. Sure dedicating an episode to each character in one of those narrative approaches that degrade a show at my eyes. But since I have no big expectations from this show and I don't see any big plot yet it's not a big deal.
I'll watch it for the cuteness. And Reina's escapist family was over-cute, the whole situation was cute and a bit sad.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-28, 11:59   Link #408
Hakuro
Banned

Looks like a koito episode this time - I'm expecting more hate incoming -.

Hakuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-28, 15:54   Link #409
Yamada II

Episode 4
Wtf was that phantom made world though lol. Reina went there unintentionally, Haruhiko followed and got hypnotised unintentionally, Mai went in and thanks to that sexy little phantom always flying about, she got hypnotised too. Nice.

So we see Reina's family problem – her parents don't like her phantom eating ability and don't want her involved with any phantom stuff which is why she kept her joining the club a secret. Her onee-chan left home after getting fed up with the parent's.

The way her problem was solved though, kinda felt a bit off. I mean, a few minutes ago we were told that her parents are super strict in this regard, next thing we know they're totally cool with Reina joining that club. They didn't give an explanation on what exactly did Reina say that gave her permission to continue the club. I mea, they didn't just give her permission just like that – they obviously put up some resistance and Reina tried to convince her and succeeded. They should have shown all that or at least told us that. Unless this is hinting towards something which could be used later on.

Anyway, nice episode – focus of this was family and it did it somewhat nicely.
Yamada II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-28, 17:56   Link #410
Ultima_Rasengan05
Version 3.0

Another good episode from the world of Musaigen. I'm really curious as to why Reina is having family problems. She did hinted about her having phantom powers and how her parents don't really condone that type of ability. And plus her sister running away probably had to do with the growing problems in her family as well. I wonder if her sister also has phantom powers. I'm leaning more towards that Reina is a phantom herself and she's just trying her best to fit in with the world she's in with Mai and Haruhiko.

That phantom bus ride was a funny one. Still makes me wonder if phantoms could be a manifestation of some people's imagination. Like with episode 3's two phantom friends of Mai. I mean that phantom world that Haruhiko, Reina, and Mai were transferred to, it was an ideal world where Reina had a happy family and there were no worries. Still having those Clannad undertones for Reina's situation.

Koito still seems distant from the group, but is slowly inching her way into the club more now. I wonder what's her backstory within all of this. Maybe she has a similar problem like Reina. But instead of family, its society and she gets bashed for having phantom powers.
Ultima_Rasengan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-29, 01:34   Link #411
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Oh a Reina episode? Man that was boring for me. Doesn't help that her solving her family situation was not only anti-climactic, but also happened offscreen. Still pushing forward towards the next episode through, but this is by far the weakest episode.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-29, 01:57   Link #412
GMT
Orthodox Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamada II View Post
The way her problem was solved though, kinda felt a bit off. I mean, a few minutes ago we were told that her parents are super strict in this regard, next thing we know they're totally cool with Reina joining that club. They didn't give an explanation on what exactly did Reina say that gave her permission to continue the club. I mea, they didn't just give her permission just like that – they obviously put up some resistance and Reina tried to convince her and succeeded. They should have shown all that or at least told us that. Unless this is hinting towards something which could be used later on.
That was an absolute facepalm moment right there. Hoover Girl is so fed up with the fact that her parents are such hard-asses that she cheerfully lets herself get stolen by goblins who tempt her with the illusion of an idyllic family life. And then, at the end of the episode, her hard-ass parents who harbor such hatred for all things phantom ... say "Oh? You've secretly joined a phantom hunting club in school and you hadn't told us because you know how much we fracking hate phantoms? And your involvement in this club nearly got you stolen by phantoms forever? Awesome! You can totally stay in that club!"

It renders the entire goddamned episode meaningless. It says that Hoover Girl was willing to throw her life away over what was apparently a trivial misunderstanding. Especially since all she had to do was talk to her parents (in spite of this huge buildup on how inflexible they are,) and it turns out they fold like a cheap tent in the face of back-talk. And with all that, she still ends the episode reminiscing wistfully about the child-stealing goblins.
Old 2016-01-29, 02:28   Link #413
rladls2121

I really feel satisfied watching the ending after this episode.
Reina's big sister, I wonder if this isn't the end?

Koito looks just too cool for me.
And next episode is actually i have been waiting for.
rladls2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-29, 04:03   Link #414
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Hoover Girl is so fed up with the fact that her parents are such hard-asses that she cheerfully lets herself get stolen by goblins who tempt her with the illusion of an idyllic family life. And then, at the end of the episode, her hard-ass parents who harbor such hatred for all things phantom ... say "Oh? You've secretly joined a phantom hunting club in school and you hadn't told us because you know how much we fracking hate phantoms? And your involvement in this club nearly got you stolen by phantoms forever? Awesome! You can totally stay in that club!"

It renders the entire goddamned episode meaningless.
Reina most likely did not divulge anything about the school club being an anti-Phantom one, and for a good reason. Her parents don't want her to associate with those "filthy creatures" so it would be a ticket out of the school (and her only haven) if she would be entirely honest about it.

But then again, the entire discussion between Reina and her parents were left to the imagination, so it's all speculation.

Quote:
It says that Hoover Girl was willing to throw her life away over what was apparently a trivial misunderstanding. Especially since all she had to do was talk to her parents (in spite of this huge buildup on how inflexible they are,) and it turns out they fold like a cheap tent in the face of back-talk.
Except that we're not sure if Reina had talked against her parents before. We all know, however that her elder sister was pissed to the point of leaving her home, and Reina suddenly showing this resolve that she hasn't shown as a typically reserved young girl probably made the parents reconsider something. It was at that point where the parents had to weigh their strict rules against the possibility of losing the only daughter they had within their presence.

Basically, Reina knows that her parents are shit and her parents know that they had to watch over their "only daughter" no matter what, but they need to make a compromise for sake of a more important thing: FAMILY, which was what Haruhiko started rambling about at the beginning of the episode.

Quote:
And with all that, she still ends the episode reminiscing wistfully about the child-stealing goblins.
Well, they were better parents in a way. You can't deny that.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-29, 07:00   Link #415
Yamada II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
But then again, the entire discussion between Reina and her parents were left to the imagination, so it's all speculation.
This is exactly what our gripe is. They showed Reina's parents to be strict especially when it came to phantoms – they didn't like phantoms and also didn't like their daughter's phantom eating power. Reina kept her joining the club a secret out of fear of being transferred to another school. They showed Reina's problem and the solution to that issue, but they didn't show how that was solved. The viewer can speculate anything – to us, this kinda looks like they gave her permission just like that and Reina was afraid for nothing and like GMT said, it kinda renders most of the episode meaningless in a way. Sure they got their point about the importance of family and all that neko through, but the problem they chose wasn't something worth wasting time on. It is possible that they use this thing later on, but as of now, the way they treated this problem in the end just doesn't sit right.
Yamada II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-29, 07:38   Link #416
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Sure they got their point about the importance of family and all that neko through, but the problem they chose wasn't something worth wasting time on. It is possible that they use this thing later on, but as of now, the way they treated this problem in the end just doesn't sit right.
How Reina problem solved feels like a problem that forcibly solved while its still unsolved in the source material.

Sure there's way to raise it again like Reina is actually lying to her parents by saying that club activities isn't Phantom-related so she could get a pass.
Still, I do understand that KyoAni need to expand some matters from source material to met the number of episodes, but to execute it like this (saying that her family compromise after how strict they are after their older daughter leaving)? Really?
Tactics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-29, 14:02   Link #417
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

the only thing I feel unfulfilled is that they don't show how Reina solved her family issue

anyway.. Bunny Phantom family is the best
When Reina go "Onii-chan" to Haruhiko and "Onee-chan" to Mai are golden moments
feels quite sad when Haruhiko got thrown because he hugged Reina.. Romance route is still far away

I enjoyed this episode.. probably because of the beautiful and well-detailed animation
This made me like Reina more and more
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-29, 19:26   Link #418
Altima of the Gates
Casting a spell on you...
*Graphic Designer

Location: Where there are no mallets or tentacles.... and the female cast of Tenjou Tenge is mine, all mine!
Send a message via AIM to Altima of the Gates Send a message via MSN to Altima of the Gates Send a message via Yahoo to Altima of the Gates
Quote:
This is exactly what our gripe is. They showed Reina's parents to be strict especially when it came to phantoms – they didn't like phantoms and also didn't like their daughter's phantom eating power. Reina kept her joining the club a secret out of fear of being transferred to another school. They showed Reina's problem and the solution to that issue, but they didn't show how that was solved. The viewer can speculate anything – to us, this kinda looks like they gave her permission just like that and Reina was afraid for nothing and like GMT said, it kinda renders most of the episode meaningless in a way. Sure they got their point about the importance of family and all that neko through, but the problem they chose wasn't something worth wasting time on. It is possible that they use this thing later on, but as of now, the way they treated this problem in the end just doesn't sit right.
The problem wasn't solved though, given she still wants to see the Phantom parents again, it's safe to assume that this was a compromise, as the conversation implied. It's not that her parents changed their minds about Phantoms, it's that she talked to them and she just mentions that she can indulge in the club. Nowhere does it say her family problems are fixed. If they were, why would she say she wants to see fakes if she can all of a sudden have the family she always wanted right here?
Altima of the Gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-29, 19:33   Link #419
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImperialFlameGod8190 View Post
Its hard to disagree with you that this show is bad and the lack of competence is amazing.

See it was a nice episode but again nice wont work. This is a series thats begging for that turning point moment but its yet to find it and it seems as though it wont find it.
I actually just started this show and I like it. I like how shameless it is. It looks decently pretty. The ost is decently good. The characters are sufficiently stupider than I've seen before. So it's original.

Who said I had to like good quality shows? This is stupid enough to the point where I find it fun to watch.

The idea is interesting, but completely nonsensical, but since this is so shameless anyway, I'll just watch this and enjoy it.

The OP of the show basically gives you pretty good insight into what this show is supposed to be. Just listen to each beat and you already understand clearly. Every time sometime intense happens (a beat) it'll be fanservice at best, and failed fanservice at worst.

Anyway, that's how I feel. I don't hate watching it, since I don't mind generic stuff that's done well some degree of quality. So... yeah.

Favorite Game Series: #0 The legend of heroes (everything but especially ZERO/AO) #1 Zero escape series. #2 Persona series. #3 Pokemon. #4 Bravely Default series. ; #5 Ace Attorney (including the spin-offs); #6 Legend of Zelda. #7 Dragon Quest (including the spin-offs)

Favorite Anime: Castle in the Sky (why is this so underrated ) Gankutsuou; Railgun S; Little Witch Academia (one of the most philosophically interesting/deep shows that I've seen, while also being the single most feel good of feel good shows that I have ever seen; literally the weirdest combination ever); Kill la Kill (because it saved anime )
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-01-30, 02:47   Link #420
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

Boobies Boobies Boobies Boobies Boobies Boobies who needs competence Boobies Boobies Boobies Boobies Boobies
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
harem, special powers