AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

Old 2014-03-31, 16:51   Link #81
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Macross colonies are individual political entities, each probably adhere to the basic NUNS constitution but certainly each with their own quirks. Cybernetics was never a big issue, nor were there arguments about cybernetics vs naturals (the NUNS had done far more controversial things in the past). There aren't any colonies that reject a cybernetically augmented individual (save for availability for augmentation), but there are colonies & planets that reject natural-sized Zentradi.

- Tak
I'm pretty sure that Frontier had a ban on implants or something. Could be remembering wrong, nonetheless a good reason to rewatch the series
squaresphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-31, 17:32   Link #82
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Frontier doesn't ban cybernetic enhancements or cybernetically augmented individuals. However, it does outlaw the process of achieving them. For example, you can get implants at the Galaxy Fleet and still enter Frontier without a fuss, but you won't be able to get further implants in Frontier.

Banning cybernetics outright is going to piss off a lot of the Zentradi, which at present time, still outnumber humanity by a very staggering margin.

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-31, 18:13   Link #83
Darthtabby

If it's a brand new story then we should expect a new valkyrie design due to merchandising considerations. If its a remake then we'll probably just get an updated VF-1.

Personally, I'd rather not see something like the YF-29 given a prominent role. It's kind of overpowered and I'm not overly keen on the wing mounted engines and dorsal gun turret. The dorsal gun turret is actually kind of cool but more traditional configurations make for cooler dogfight scenes (seriously, how are you supposed to do a good "bandit on your six!" type sequence if you've got a high powered gun turret which can just blow them away?).

I wouldn't mind a bit less emphasis on a central love triangle this time around but that doesn't mean I don't want the show to focus on the characters and their relationships. Memorable characters make for a memorable show.

Also, I'd like it if they resolve the triangle in series this time around without needing an alternate continuity movie to bring closure. I love the Frontier TV series, but Alto's failure to state a clear choice in the love triangle weakened the series as a whole and his storyline in particular.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-31, 18:25   Link #84
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

There will probably be a VF based on the F-35.
Old 2014-03-31, 18:36   Link #85
Frontier

I wonder if it would be designated as the VF-35 then, or as the VF-32 to acknowledge how old Macross is?

The last new Valkyrie was the YF-30, so any new model should be in that number range .
Old 2014-03-31, 18:38   Link #86
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
If it's a brand new story then we should expect a new valkyrie design due to merchandising considerations. If its a remake then we'll probably just get an updated VF-1.

Personally, I'd rather not see something like the YF-29 given a prominent role. It's kind of overpowered and I'm not overly keen on the wing mounted engines and dorsal gun turret. The dorsal gun turret is actually kind of cool but more traditional configurations make for cooler dogfight scenes (seriously, how are you supposed to do a good "bandit on your six!" type sequence if you've got a high powered gun turret which can just blow them away?).

I wouldn't mind a bit less emphasis on a central love triangle this time around but that doesn't mean I don't want the show to focus on the characters and their relationships. Memorable characters make for a memorable show.

Also, I'd like it if they resolve the triangle in series this time around without needing an alternate continuity movie to bring closure. I love the Frontier TV series, but Alto's failure to state a clear choice in the love triangle weakened the series as a whole and his storyline in particular.
Well he made his choice in movies. Even if events are different characters are same so I belive he in then end went for Sheryl (well, he made same choice even before ...in certain way)
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-31, 19:53   Link #87
Gravitas Free Zone

Several models have had the head lasers usable as rear-firing weaponry, so the turret isn't totally necessary on a production VF-29 for that reason, but the main thing is that aesthetically the YF-29's turret was still a big lump (a streamlined flat lump, but still a lump) on the back of the fighter. In a casual perusal of images online, it seems that displaying the -29 without the turret is more common.

F-35 basis for a Valk: I think SF has beaten reality pretty thoroughly into the ground by now. Maybe a new model will be more streamlined and have the smoothbody low-RCS look now that the F-117/VF-17(1)'s faceted look is out of date, but a mere transforming V/STOL airplane is so... 1982.

Editorial: Besides, the F-35 is kinda boring to look at. Whatever practical flaws the Boeing JSF proposal had, at least the chin-mounted intake and delta configuration had a certain uniqueness.
Gravitas Free Zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-31, 21:08   Link #88
Darthtabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzen12 View Post
Well he made his choice in movies. Even if events are different characters are same so I belive he in then end went for Sheryl (well, he made same choice even before ...in certain way)
There are a couple issues with Alto not stating his choice outright in the TV series. First of all, the love triangle was given a lot of attention in marketing for the series. Secondly, in the lead up to the finale Alto admitted he had been pretending not to notice certain things and started to act more decisive. But the ending failed to offer a clear follow through to this development and many fans were left with the impression that Alto was dense and indecisive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Knackwurst View Post
Several models have had the head lasers usable as rear-firing weaponry, so the turret isn't totally necessary on a production VF-29 for that reason, but the main thing is that aesthetically the YF-29's turret was still a big lump (a streamlined flat lump, but still a lump) on the back of the fighter. In a casual perusal of images online, it seems that displaying the -29 without the turret is more common.
The head guns that can fire to the rear I don't have as much of a problem with. They weren't portrayed as a serious deterrent to pursuers the two times I can remember them being used in that fashion in Frontier.
Darthtabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-03-31, 22:16   Link #89
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

Any hoo, Kawamori has a thing about not using "hero" units for frontline adoption. Remember the YF designation is for prototypes. In all likelihood the Shinsei/LAI created the YF-29 as a test bed for future tech and possibly a high performance spec op fighter.

It's smart business sense, the VF-25 is a solid performer with lower price point for front line deployment. The eventual YF-29 mass production model could be aimed at the "premium" customer.

As far as the design, I'm would guess that they'll go with originals rather than model after existing ones. The F22/F35 actually looks pretty boring compared to the VF-25
Old 2014-03-31, 22:25   Link #90
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
New Macross series. Fuck yea! A Kawamori series that won't look like turd since 2006.
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-01, 01:06   Link #91
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthtabby View Post
They put way too much emphasis on the love triangle to not deliver any sort of ending for it. If they had cut back 10% of the focus it got and spent that time on other areas it would've been a much better series.

If you're going to go all in on one aspect, you have to deliver on it.

Also hopefully this Macross has some fucking worthwhile foes for the cast, the varja (are they even called varja? I can't remember and I don't really care to look it up if I got it wrong) sucked period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
New Macross series. Fuck yea! A Kawamori series that won't look like turd since 2006.
What are you talking about? This is the first Kawamori series since Macross Frontier
Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-01, 03:19   Link #92
Suzuku
(`・⊝・´)/\(`・⊝・´)

Hard to believe it's been 6 years since Frontier.
Old 2014-04-01, 04:34   Link #93
Pocari_Sweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
What are you talking about? This is the first Kawamori series since Macross Frontier
I see what you did there.

Btw, I was two years off, Frontier came out in 2008 not 2006. Guess it wasn't as old as I thought .
Old 2014-04-01, 04:36   Link #94
Tenzen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
They put way too much emphasis on the love triangle to not deliver any sort of ending for it. If they had cut back 10% of the focus it got and spent that time on other areas it would've been a much better series.

If you're going to go all in on one aspect, you have to deliver on it.
It migh be better series, but it wouldn't be Macross. Romance is it's gimmick from times SDFM. Put it away and you get just gundam with better mechas, story and characters.
Tenzen12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-01, 04:41   Link #95
Pocari_Sweat

Rather than story per se, with the exception of Macross 7 which I will despise the day I die, I've always like the atmosphere, world and culture of the Macross universe and there's usually some characters from each series in the franchise (with the exception of Macross 7 again) which I like a lot.

Gundam? Well... I don't want to go to offtopic with that but I pretty much have no attachment in that franchise. I liked Zeta the most by default (because of Char) then probably the Unicorn OVAs after that. Otherwise, don't really care.
Old 2014-04-01, 04:51   Link #96
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
mecha-wise, Macross franchise gets the edge for me, as they felt more plausible sci-fi war machines than that other franchise. It did help that Macross got aired in a period of my childhood when I was gushing about Cold War-era fighters, like the F14, F15 and the MiG-31. Also YF-19 Master Race. Dem Forward Swept Wings <3
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-01, 07:30   Link #97
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
mecha-wise, Macross franchise gets the edge for me, as they felt more plausible sci-fi war machines than that other franchise. It did help that Macross got aired in a period of my childhood when I was gushing about Cold War-era fighters, like the F14, F15 and the MiG-31. Also YF-19 Master Race. Dem Forward Swept Wings <3
Actually, when it comes to giant humanoid mechas used for battles, no series is more plausible than the others. I remember reading a number of studies about the “realistic-ness” of having big humanoid mecha in actual battles (or at least scientific people’s take on it, fleeting or detailed). They said that using humanoid mecha provides you nothing but liability, even more so with transformable mechas. In simpler words, you'll be a sitting duck for the enemy. Unless you’re using a giant bio-mecha (like the EVAs in Evangelion which doesn’t really limited to the law of physics due to its alien-origin inner component or basic substance) or a humanoid mecha powered by magic (like the ones in Rayearth).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
Gundam? Well... I don't want to go to offtopic with that but I pretty much have no attachment in that franchise. I liked Zeta the most by default (because of Char) then probably the Unicorn OVAs after that. Otherwise, don't really care.
Good news, Sunrise is making a big project which is four-episode OVAs detailing about Char’s (and his sister’s) past life called Gundam The Origin. And if you love Char G, you should watch the first Gundam series (if you haven't done it already). That’s where Char shines the most.
Old 2014-04-01, 08:08   Link #98
Lenneth4

Send a message via MSN to Lenneth4
I think char shines the most in CCA , that ending is just fucking legendary/unique crazy mystique shit and his political talk , you can see that Ithekro sig stole his style haha (i loved 2199 remake , dont bully me)
Lenneth4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-04-01, 09:10   Link #99
squaresphere
Macross Lifer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Actually, when it comes to giant humanoid mechas used for battles, no series is more plausible than the others. I remember reading a number of studies about the “realistic-ness” of having big humanoid mecha in actual battles (or at least scientific people’s take on it, fleeting or detailed). They said that using humanoid mecha provides you nothing but liability, even more so with transformable mechas. In simpler words, you'll be a sitting duck for the enemy. Unless you’re using a giant bio-mecha (like the EVAs in Evangelion which doesn’t really limited to the law of physics due to its alien-origin inner component or basic substance) or a humanoid mecha powered by magic (like the ones in Rayearth).
I'd disagree with that. The whole point of having the battleroid mode in macross was SPECIFICALLY to board and possibly take over zentradi ships.
There are few animated instances, but the roid mode (or dedicated destroids) are ideal when you have to root out entrenched "giant class" forces that have holed up in objectives that need to be taken over instead of destroyed. (the very brief use of destroids with flame throwers clearing out vajra infestation on frontier comes to mind). Also, Macross pilots have learned that the roid mode is best applied in urban combat where buildings provide cover which also reduces the range of combat.

The deployment of Valkyries is generally akin to calvary/spec ops when fighting in atmosphere. While destroids and other grounded forces can create and hold battle lines, Valkyries are used to create air superiority, flank, provide support and bolster lines as need via hot dropping in. Of course that's all different if the fight is in space, where destroids are redesignated to defensive mobile gun platforms and Valkyries/Ghosts are used used in main line roles.

Last edited by squaresphere; 2014-04-01 at 09:12. Reason: calvary clarification
Old 2014-04-01, 09:32   Link #100
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by squaresphere View Post
I'd disagree with that. The whole point of having the battleroid mode in macross was SPECIFICALLY to board and possibly take over zentradi ships.
There are few animated instances, but the roid mode (or dedicated destroids) are ideal when you have to root out entrenched "giant class" forces that have holed up in objectives that need to be taken over instead of destroyed. (the very brief use of destroids with flame throwers clearing out vajra infestation on frontier comes to mind). Also, Macross pilots have learned that the roid mode is best applied in urban combat where buildings provide cover which also reduces the range of combat.
Actually, that’s pretty much the case in almost every series from Real-Robot genre like Patlabor, Full Metal Panic, Muv-Luv, Gunparade March, etc. But I’m not talking about the functionality of the Batrroid (aka. humanoid form). I’m talking about the plausiblity of using a giant humanoid mecha in real battle at all based on physics and engineering which quite a number of scholars has said that it’s silly in and of itself. I’m not only talking about Macross, but a slew of other Real-Robot series. Even Kalinin (a character from Full Metal Panic!) once said in the show something like this (paraphrase) “The existence of humanoid Arm Slaves (the giant robot term in the series) is really baffling. They look straight out of science fiction and shouldn’t exist if not for the mysterious Black Technology”. So there you have it. One of the main characters in one prominent mecha series even admitting that using giant humanoid mecha for any battle is pretty much silly (hence the need of suspension-of-disbelief from the audience to enjoy this particular genre).