AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-07-25, 03:13   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 675 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread Guidelines
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Well, the break's over (for now), AND we've got Aohige and T bringing out spoilers this week! Let's see what happens next:

-Chapter title is "The name is Shinokuni". As for the new ministory, it does indeed seem to center around Caribou, as this chapter involves him terrorizing innocent mermaids once again.

-Caesar's slave children are begging for candy, and he tells them that it's in the Biscuit Room. He then has his men lock the door, just as one of the kids regains their senses, remembers Nami and Usopp's warnings, and is now willing to escape. Meanwhile, Nami has regained consciousness due to being in Sanji's stronger body, and wakes up Usopp.

-It's revealed that Law made a deal with Caesar that involves the shichibukai trading hearts with Monet, though the former's heart is currently in Vergo's hands. It also turns out that Monet shapeshifted and was stalking Law under his nose, which is why CC is aware of his treachery. It seems the scientist returns to the lab and punches Law's heart (unsure if this means Vergo's still around, though). Smoker's heart is in the scientist's hands, as well. Monet then says that she prepared the video cameras for the new experiment.....

-Criminals from all over the world are watching the video footage, which first shows a huge piece of candy lying in the middle of the icy half of the island. We then shift to the hot side of the island, where Smiley (the slime) is still reforming himself. Caesar explains that the slime itself is the poison gas bomb "H2S". Apparently, the previous incarnation of the bomb could weaken people, but didn't kill them instantly. However, all the new slime has to do now is eat giant food and it will become a deadly weapon of mass destruction. And thus, Caesar has decided to dub the weapon "Shinokuni" (or Land of Death). During the speech, Zoro's group, who are still running from the slime, come across the giant candy and some of Caesar's men. The servants are meant to be sacrifices for CC's experiment, though he pretends to look out for their well-being. However, as soon as Smiley appears, he just eats the giant candy and seems to be ignoring his master's orders.....

Heh, so we've already got signs that the poison salamander is going to betray CC. Though I do fine it interesting to learn that Law and Monet traded hearts. I wonder where Happy Harpy's heart is being contained, in that case? And I'm also still unsure if Vergo is in the same room as CC when he returns to the lab, or he went to hide. Guess I'll wait until the full chapter's release before I make any corrections on that part.....

I also wonder how Caribou's story will go down. Apparently, he's kidnapping mermaids again, but I highly doubt that guys like jinbei are going to sit idly by and let him do as he pleases. So maybe this ministory will involve him escaping the island so he can deliver the info of Shirahoshi's secret to that info broker he was talking about a while back.....

-

Last edited by marvelB; 2012-07-25 at 09:20.
Old 2012-07-25, 06:46   Link #2
ronin myael
lost ronin

so i guess now we know why law suddenly fell "ill" when he saw vergo, the guy had his heart! but why exchange hearts with monet when he could have exchanged hearts with ceasar himself? he was that desperate that he was willing to risk it?
Old 2012-07-25, 07:00   Link #3
james0246

The whole "exchange hearts" thing seems a little silly, but otherwise okay chapter. Not much happened, but it was still good development overall.
Old 2012-07-25, 07:22   Link #4
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I don't get why Law traded his heart for Monet's either. It's not like Ceaser cares about his subordinates, so having Monet's heart doesn't give Law any kind of leverage against him. He totally screwed himself. He must have been really desperate to get his hands on... whatever it is he wants.

Monet has a shape-shifting power? Kind of confused about that line.
Old 2012-07-25, 08:22   Link #5
Kafriel
Senior Guest

From what I gather, Law was hoping to use the possession of Monet's heart to exert a degree of influence on her without forcibly making her his ally. Too bad she didn't care as much. The odd part is that Law was definitely aware of her ability, whatever it is, when he asked her to follow him, so how did she stalk him without being spotted? Heartless Law is in quite a pickle, he can do nothing until Vergo is taken care of - which will be pretty hard, considering he holds Law hostage in any case.

So, the chapter goes from real serious, what with the giant kids, imprisonment and massive B.O.W.s to cookie jokes (which was curiously funny) and smiley rampage? Well, that works...so far
Old 2012-07-25, 08:49   Link #6
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I don't get why Law traded his heart for Monet's either. It's not like Ceaser cares about his subordinates, so having Monet's heart doesn't give Law any kind of leverage against him. He totally screwed himself. He must have been really desperate to get his hands on... whatever it is he wants.

Interesting that you mention this, because Aohige mentions in the spoiler thread that CC implies that Law is actually STRONGER than him (though I think the current chapter translation implies the opposite). So the heart exchange thing pretty much IS insurance in case Law betrayed him (which he most certainly did).....

Anyways, fun chapter. I'm loving those new goofy expressions from CC. In fact, he's pretty much becoming the most expressive OP villain since Moria. And is it just me, or does one of the NW pirates shown this chapter sorta look like Basil Hawkins with a cowboy hat.....?

And yeah, looks like Vergo's in cahoots with CC after all. The fact that he's in possession of Law's heart instantly explains how he made Law collapse when he first appeared. Though I'm now wondering where exactly Law is keeping Monet's heart (BTW, I found it rather odd how easily she agreed to give up such a vital organ in the first place)....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Monet has a shape-shifting power? Kind of confused about that line.
Well, the translated chapter even mentions that she transformed in order to keep tabs on Law, so this definitely implies that she has some sort of Zoan power (whether or not it's related to her harpy form is still unclear, though).....
Old 2012-07-25, 11:56   Link #7
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Law being critically weakened when confronting Vergo makes a lot of sense now. Whatever it is that Law wants, it must be absolutely imperative that he gets it if he had to sacrifice his heart. And if CC has to resort to stealing Law's heart as an "ace in the hole" in case anything goes wrong, it means that under normal circumstances Law is very much a big threat to him (and presumably, Vergo as well).

Interesting development in this chapter.
Old 2012-07-25, 14:03   Link #8
janipani

not much ever happens, since One Piece always splits all over the place, but pace is still quite enjoyable.

Let's see if this turns in to heart stealing game

-Best anime was made in 80s-
Old 2012-07-25, 14:10   Link #9
itachi-san314

not really a big fan of the heart stealings... i thought it made much more sense for vergo to have some sort of gravity ability which would be a good counter to law's ability. it also would have explained the food on his face to a degree. this development actually undermines vergo's coolness, since he didnt really do anything himself to pin down law, he was just carrying around his heart... i dunno. doesn't really do it for me
Old 2012-07-25, 14:13   Link #10
janipani

^ aaa true.. Now we don't know how strong Vergo really is, since he just used cheap tricks...

-Best anime was made in 80s-
Old 2012-07-25, 14:17   Link #11
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdeal000 View Post
^That...if she's Zoan then she could transform in a complete bird, a smaller one capable of tracking Law. And harpy is just the human+animal form.

I think a bird (even if it's small) would be a little too conspicuous in a location like Punk Hazard. My guess is that she can transform into something else entirely separate from a bird. I mean heck, Monet could even be an amoeba zoan for all we know!

BTW, kinda unrelated, but the cover for volume 67 has been revealed:

Spoiler:

Nice! So we've got Kinemon, Monet, AND CC in color (at least in his gas form as far as the last one is concerned). But there's a couple things I find odd here: First, Law isn't on the cover for some reason (unless Oda's saving an epic pic of him for the NEXT volume's cover), and.... do I see human legs on Monet's harpy form?! I find that odd since the past chapters showed her legs were talons. Either this is a mistake on Oda's part, or we just got another hint that the harpy body is indeed her zoan form (meaning I'd have to disregard my above joke about her being an amoeba woman)......

Also, I suppose some of you may be wondering about that One Piece White book I mentioned a few threads back. Well..... it turns out that the book focuses on the anime version, so it doesn't look like we can expect any new manga info, unfortunately. But on the flipside, volume 67 is released next week, which of course means the possibility of some sweet SBS info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
not really a big fan of the heart stealings... i thought it made much more sense for vergo to have some sort of gravity ability which would be a good counter to law's ability. it also would have explained the food on his face to a degree. this development actually undermines vergo's coolness, since he didnt really do anything himself to pin down law, he was just carrying around his heart... i dunno. doesn't really do it for me

Dunno about you, but I think the mere fact that CC entrusted the heart to Vergo in the first place has a lot of significance. And besides, it wouldn't make sense for him to have a gravity-based ability when that power was already taken by Blackbeard, don't you think?
Old 2012-07-25, 15:00   Link #12
Rainbowman

The main highlight for me is that the slime is mentioned as the weapon of destruction. Does the H2S mean 2 parts Hydrogen 1 part Sulfur?

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post

Spoiler:

Nice! So we've got Kinemon, Monet, AND CC in color (at least in his gas form as far as the last one is concerned). But there's a couple things I find odd here: First, Law isn't on the cover for some reason (unless Oda's saving an epic pic of him for the NEXT volume's cover), and.... do I see human legs on Monet's harpy form?! I find that odd since the past chapters showed her legs were talons. Either this is a mistake on Oda's part, or we just got another hint that the harpy body is indeed her zoan form (meaning I'd have to disregard my above joke about her being an amoeba woman)......
I don't like how the cover shows the 4 switched bodies of Luffy's crew. No doubt the next cover will have Nami in Sanji's body. How long can Nami's current injustice go on?

Quote:
Also, I suppose some of you may be wondering about that One Piece White book I mentioned a few threads back. Well..... it turns out that the book focuses on the anime version, so it doesn't look like we can expect any new manga info, unfortunately. But on the flipside, volume 67 is released next week, which of course means the possibility of some sweet SBS info.
If book White focuses on the anime, I bet we'll get info on some anime filler arcs and non-canon characters including Chameleone which I hope will be in a filler arc preceding One Piece film Z.
Old 2012-07-25, 15:50   Link #13
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

it was kinda disappointing chapter. i blame partly because of there is breaks before and after this chapter.

Quote:
i like tashigi and smoker pose. they are surprisingly look badass even if their heart is change (or maybe because of that)

Old 2012-07-25, 15:50   Link #14
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Dunno about you, but I think the mere fact that CC entrusted the heart to Vergo in the first place has a lot of significance. And besides, it wouldn't make sense for him to have a gravity-based ability when that power was already taken by Blackbeard, don't you think?
itachi-san314 may have been alluding to Vergo having some kind of telekinetic ability. But even if Vergo didn't do anything himself to put down Law, that doesn't undermine his fearsome reputation/fighting ability (he was given possession of Law's heart by CC after all, as you said). All this shows is how formidable Law is in his own right (as he should be since he's a shichibukai).
Old 2012-07-25, 15:51   Link #15
Slayerx

Quote:

Spoiler:

My complaint is smoker, namely tashigi inside of smoker... she's making herself look too cool in his body when she never acts cool in smoker's body. She should be more in character like everyone else who swicthed

Also about Monet if you look at a manga pic of her
Spoiler for image:

You can see that her talons actually start below the midpoint of her shin, to close to where her human ankles might be; so the volume pic is actually cutting her off right before the talons... granted looking at that manga pic in this context i can't help but think that her human thighs are actually a little long; before i did not mind since i assumed her legs were ALL bird and not just the bottom portion
Old 2012-07-25, 16:42   Link #16
Randrak42
ANEGO Worshiper

Quote:
Spoiler:
I'm sorry but this cover has something many LuffyxNami supporters have dreamed about for years! (Not really but whatever)
An Oda drawn image that proves Nami is in love with Luffy.

Any fact that counters this will easily be disregarded by the LuMi fans.
Old 2012-07-25, 17:03   Link #17
Kakashi_Yamato_Iruka

so law had to give his heart....
hehe..slimey ignored caesar
Old 2012-07-26, 02:07   Link #18
itachi-san314

Quote:
Dunno about you, but I think the mere fact that CC entrusted the heart to Vergo in the first place has a lot of significance.
I'm sure it does, it's just not interesting yet. at least not to me. I just hope that Law had a secret plan for allowing his heart to fall into enemy hands aside from what we know already.

Quote:
And besides, it wouldn't make sense for him to have a gravity-based ability when that power was already taken by Blackbeard, don't you think?
well yea i didnt really mean like the darkness fruit with the black hole ability. that's a bit much for a character like vergo. i meant something like altering his own density to the point of having a strong gravitational pull as a side effect? just an idea, but obviously not the case in this situation at least.
Old 2012-07-26, 09:35   Link #19
marvelB

Quote:
Originally Posted by itachi-san314 View Post
well yea i didnt really mean like the darkness fruit with the black hole ability. that's a bit much for a character like vergo. i meant something like altering his own density to the point of having a strong gravitational pull as a side effect? just an idea, but obviously not the case in this situation at least.

The whole "altering weight" power was already taken by Ms. Valentine, though. And technically, the power you had in mind for Vergo should be feasible in Teach's case as well, since he now has both gravity AND earthquake powers. I'm also unsure about telekinesis like BDK mentioned before, since I think that sort of strikes me as something that could be achieved without the aid of a devil fruit (after all, excluding haki users, we've actually seen non-DF users who had powerful hypnotic abilities like Ms. Goldenweek (and even Jango to some extent)).

But still, just because he didn't weaken Law with his own abilities doesn't mean that Vergo isn't dangerous in his own right, as was already mentioned. The dude's a VA-level marine who ALSO doubles as a close confident of Doflamingo's. It would be flat-out insane to think that he'd be a pushover at this point.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randrak42 View Post
I'm sorry but this cover has something many LuffyxNami supporters have dreamed about for years! (Not really but whatever)
An Oda drawn image that proves Nami is in love with Luffy.

You know, now that you brought this up, this makes me curious: I wonder how many LawxMonet doujins are going to pop up now due to the combined effect of this heart-trading business and their brief interaction before Vergo's arrival?

Lastly.... this is a bit random, but seeing as Smiley gets stronger by consuming candy, I think it would've be the most awesome thing ever if Smiley got his ultimate power-up when CC feeds him some super-sized Chick-O-Sticks. Again, I know this sounds random, but I was snacking on some last night when this thought suddenly popped in my head, and I just couldn't help but voice it!
Old 2012-07-26, 15:10   Link #20
grey_1960
Annie Leonhart

Chapter 675
Okay chapter. Now there is Luffy's crew and the alliance, Smoker and G-5 Marines, Blob, Ceaser and Vergo team up. It is a four way death match by the looks of it. Ceaser is turning out to be a huge coward. He sounds like the weakest out of Luffy, Law, Smoker, and Vergo.
Closed Thread