AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you think physical attractiveness greatly impact a person's life?
Yes. 82 68.91%
No. 5 4.20%
Maybe. 23 19.33%
We choose our on destiny, we can do whatever we want no matter what! 9 7.56%
Voters: 119. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-04, 17:12   Link #61
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kusa-San View Post
No it's not that. A girl who don't like to be like that but is like that because she don't want to be isolated is a girl who has not a strong will. But a girl who is happy like that has (maybe) a strong will.
I didn't want to be misunderstood since my post was not clear enough. Whatever the person's choices, if that person is happy and doesn't hurt other people in any way, there's nothing to criticize about.
Old 2009-06-04, 17:12   Link #62
Showtime

We human beings naturally find ourselves drawn to attractiveness, and we judge them accordingly,

...until you see how they carry themselves through life. Then you stop noticing their physical attractiveness and begin to see them for who they are.
Old 2009-06-04, 17:23   Link #63
Kusa-San
I'll end it before April.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woopzilla View Post
I think it's just a mix up of terms you want to use to describe it. It would be discrimination to pick a person based on looks, not prejudice. .
Just to clarify something here. It's not a discrimination. Yes I prefer good looking people over bad one but I will not apply a specific treatment for them. It's clearly a "plus" but the most impotant for me it's the character and who they are.
Old 2009-06-04, 17:33   Link #64
Woopzilla
Desensitized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolipopo View Post
Ah, if it is just a matter of strictly defining words, then i give up. My point is, that when someone prefers good looking people over bad looking people as it was stated, then you cannot really say before "i do not mind appearance." Because you do mind appearance when later in the sentence you pretty much state this. But anyway, i am done with it. I am not gonna play freedictionary.com anymore.
Well sorry, but I wasn't trying to play 'freedictionary.com'. That's a bit rude.

I was just trying to point out that it's stating that he doesn't think any less of people due to looks, followed by a pretty no-brainer statement that people like the look of attractive people. I mean... don't we all?

Quote:
Just to clarify something here. It's not a discrimination. Yes I prefer good looking people over bad one but I will not apply a specific treatment for them. It's clearly a "plus" but the most impotant for me it's the character and who they are.
Yea, while explaining things I was kind of imagining this 'two people in a room, who do you pick first to talk to?' kind of situation where a decision needed to be made.
Old 2009-06-04, 17:39   Link #65
Lolipopo
Srsly ?
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woopzilla View Post
Well sorry, but I wasn't trying to play 'freedictionary.com'. That's a bit rude.

I was just trying to point out that it's stating that he doesn't think any less of people due to looks, followed by a pretty no-brainer statement that people like the look of attractive people. I mean... don't we all?
I was referring to myself, when did i say "you"? Hmm.
And no thank you, do not impose your views on me in-directly.

Old 2009-06-04, 17:47   Link #66
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Seeing this love triangle between narona, kusa and lolipopo going on here, lol.
Seems to be getting somewhat personal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolipopo View Post
Why would i fight against it for example? Just because i am pretty do i have to prove that i am not looking for 843043 boyfriends a month? No. If people want to think that i fit the society stereotyping, they can feel free to. Those people that will think that, are people that i will never meet anyway. The opinion that matters, is of the people you value. And they know who you really are.
Yes, on a personal note, but it must be annoying for some pretty, peroxide, busty blondes out there who wanna get a law degree now, right?
It's great to think 'meh, people can think whatever', until said 'people' have a stake in your future be it through an interview for a job, for an important school or an audition.
Kusa is right in terms of anyone who falls in the extremes of being pretty or below 'average norm' within a society gets a hard time, after all, oddities always grab attention.
(Unless it's somewhere like London where we seem to be unfazed by most.
Too many crazy pple on the tube)

- Joking aside, our bodies are our fronts to each other.
They are our physical CV's to each other, we cross people everyday in the streets, we observe, we made instant judgements and we react.
Because there are so many people, we use stereotypes to simply make a quick summary on the shallowest level, which serves to be handy.
Not accurate and more often than not we adhere to negativity than positivity, but handy and then if a person wants to go further, then yes, talk to someone, step into the next level.

As someone mentioned with the nature example, birds with the brightest feathers tend to attract their mates easier.
We're naturally drawn to attractive and pleasant things and that includes people and naturally repel against anything that makes us uneasy.
The level and degrees depends on per individual based on what they've been exposed to, but it makes it a 'yes' given for the question.
Those with general 'good looks', will find their lives with people flocking to them a little more than those 'without', hence i try to take most good looking men with a pinch of salt.
Maybe, just maybe, they're not a shallow bastard who just treats women as objects.
Not only does physical attractiveness affect those on the receiving end, it also affects "us" on the giving end too.

What do you about it and the attitude you have will determine how pleasant life will become, but it as long as there are people, it'll always affect your stance in society at various periods over your life.

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Old 2009-06-04, 17:59   Link #67
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
It's the same about video games. A girl who plays and loves video games ---> A girl who is not pretty.
Fortunately, that myth is so broken at this point I can only laugh at the occasional idiot I encounter who still thinks that. (Kind of like the MMO-idiots who cannot comprehend the idea that girls might be playing the game and that they might be playing male or female avatars. Half of our LAN party friends are attractive females... not just okay, but really damn cute.

They're all L4D fans, FPS, Rock Band, MMOs. One plays a male goblin squig herder on Warhammer "because she likes squeezing innards to make her squigs dance".
Old 2009-06-04, 18:12   Link #68
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambino009 View Post
Of course... the goal for most is to find some one who appeals to them physically.. and with the characteristics that are to their liking.

When it comes down to it.. it's usually sacrificing one for the other when the top can't be found.. then the person will settle for the next best thing.

People have a hard time.. openly admitting that they want a physically attractive partner.. so they'll say something like.. as long as they make me happy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
As someone mentioned with the nature example, birds with the brightest feathers tend to attract their mates easier.
We're naturally drawn to attractive and pleasant things and that includes people and naturally repel against anything that makes us uneasy.
I agree with the two posts that I quoted.

As a staff member of a clinic, I tend to be more helpful to good looking patients.
Such as performing more lengthy tests and asking them more questions. It's because good looking people brighten up my day in a good way, they remind me that life is good and that the next day is worth looking forward to.

Of course, it does not mean that I give bad looking people a rushed or poor treatment. I attend to them in a regular manner.

*voted yes on the poll

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2009-06-04 at 18:36.
Old 2009-06-04, 18:19   Link #69
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
They're all L4D fans, FPS, Rock Band, MMOs. One plays a male goblin squig herder on Warhammer "because she likes squeezing innards to make her squigs dance".
About girls in general, while the stereotype that kusa-san was talking about tend to happen less and less often, there's still the one that girls don't play to some videogames genres.

I guess there's some truth since for example, given what Nintendo said, the wii and DS consoles (and their games) are quite popular among the female players. And there are a lot of games that "might" appeal to girls on those consoles.

But besides those games, they can also like FPS, MMORPG, or like in my case, MGS, War3, Diablo, Punch Out, and GH
Old 2009-06-04, 20:39   Link #70
cheyannew
PolyPerson!

Quote:
Fortunately, that myth is so broken at this point I can only laugh at the occasional idiot I encounter who still thinks that. (Kind of like the MMO-idiots who cannot comprehend the idea that girls might be playing the game and that they might be playing male or female avatars. Half of our LAN party friends are attractive females... not just okay, but really damn cute.

As a fellow gamer woman AND squig herder, I concur entirely
Back in the days of MajorMud and EQ, female gamers were a rare sight, but (ugh hate to say it) thanks to availability of thigns like WoW and FFX women are getting more into gaming....

As for physical attractiveness playing a part in things, it does; you could have 2 candidates for a job, SAME CV same experience same everything.
One is an overweight mousey-haired schoolmarm looking woman, the other is a curvy, vivacious looking blonde. GENERALLY, and it's a sad statement of fact, people are going to naturally lean towards the more attractive one. No one is saying it's right, but that IS how the world works, and I've seen it countless times when we'd interview people and half of the upper management was deciding on looks rather than talent. I was lucky enough to not go through that as my boss was gay LOL But still.....

RIFT | Division | Side 7 Art Archive
Old 2009-06-04, 22:09   Link #71
Mauru

As I was reading all the fighting from three people in this thread I have to say this.

Actually attractive people do have negative stereotyping on them.

Examples taken straight from the social psychology textbook:

"People who are beautiful are usually seen as "good", but attractiveness is also associated with a few negative assumptions. For example, beautiful women are sometimes perceived as vain and materialistic, Also, handsome male political candidates are more likely to be elected than unattractive ones (My Comment: This means Obama was more handsome than McCain?) but an attractive female candidate is not helped by her appearance. Possibly being "too feminine" is assumed to be inappropriate for someone in a legislative, judicial, or executive position, although being "too masculine" is OK"

There were other negative stereotyping for attractive women but I don’t remember then now, something about people thinking she will be more likely to cheat on a partner? Something like that.

Quote:
As a staff member of a clinic, I tend to be more helpful to good looking patients.
Such as performing more lengthy tests and asking them more questions. It's because good looking people brighten up my day in a good way, they remind me that life is good and that the next day is worth looking forward to.

Of course, it does not mean that I give bad looking people a rushed or poor treatment. I attend to them in a regular manner.
This makes me think that some people have more worth than others...

This makes me depressed...
Old 2009-06-04, 22:38   Link #72
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
One is an overweight mousey-haired schoolmarm looking woman, the other is a curvy, vivacious looking blonde. GENERALLY, and it's a sad statement of fact, people are going to naturally lean towards the more attractive one.
What keeps that from being a done deal is that taste varies? Blondes don't get my attention (though neither does the other choice). In my case, they'd have to actually meet potential performance metrics.

But you're right in that if they were equally qualified, a lot of people (women included) would tend to choose the blonde, especially if they lacked candidate processing training. Its another reason to have a *PANEL* of people interviewing a candidate. Very bad move to have only one person conduct an interview.
Old 2009-06-04, 23:04   Link #73
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Quote:
What keeps that from being a done deal is that taste varies? Blondes don't get my attention (though neither does the other choice). In my case, they'd have to actually meet potential performance metrics.

But you're right in that if they were equally qualified, a lot of people (women included) would tend to choose the blonde, especially if they lacked candidate processing training. Its another reason to have a *PANEL* of people interviewing a candidate. Very bad move to have only one person conduct an interview.
Even then Vexx, if a person isn't seen to fit the overall 'look' of the company, be it 1 person or a panel of 3-5 idiots, the decision is likely to be the same.
Customer comes in, sees attractive woman on the reception desk, feels at ease and then continues on with his business with the company perhaps a in slight better mood.
(Bring on the office scandals, lol)

Many now state:
"We do equal opportunity and hire everyone regardless of race, age, sexual orientation" etc
Which many do, but that number against the mass, one can only wonder how many corporations and companies faithfully adhere to it

PS: I can't help but think you have an innate shut down system to blondes by the way.
Not that you'd not give them a chance, but at first glance methinks you'd need to hunt around for the salt shaker first before adding that pinch

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
Old 2009-06-04, 23:11   Link #74
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
PS: I can't help but think you have an innate shut down system to blondes by the way.
Not that you'd not give them a chance, but at first glance methinks you'd need to hunt around for the salt shaker first before adding that pinch
I grew up in Texas where if you shake a tree you're armpit deep in them so its rare that I even glance. I certainly admit my radar alarm goes off for certain other types (not that I'm in any position to actually do more than say "... wow" ).
Old 2009-06-04, 23:23   Link #75
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Quote:
I grew up in Texas where if you shake a tree you're armpit deep in them so its rare that I even glance. I certainly admit my radar alarm goes off for certain other types (not that I'm in any position to actually do more than say "... wow" ).
Well that's a given to all of us.
We each have certain types of people we consider attractive or find that we're naturally drawn to, but yes in your case, the missus wouldn't appreciate more than the "... wow" xD
(ok, i better go sit on the fence again for a spell, before i get too carried away) >.>

Old 2009-06-04, 23:47   Link #76
Showtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauru View Post
This makes me think that some people have more worth than others...

This makes me depressed...
Well, of course people generally treat good-looking people better than others.

Good-looking men and women turn heads more often than average-looking people, no?
Old 2009-06-05, 00:08   Link #77
npcomplete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
There are some beautiful people in Slovakia
... Really?
Old 2009-06-05, 01:08   Link #78
Theowne
耳をすませば

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddo-kun View Post

*voted yes on the poll
Even I didn't think it went this far. So now people's health is being compromised because of individuals being biased towards attractiveness. Of course, it is random chance that one individual is more attractive than the other, but now their health will be affected due to it. It's not really much different than race or gender discrimination, when you think about it.

It's too much to ask that people who pay the same taxes/insurance be given equal treatment.

That's the world.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Old 2009-06-05, 01:49   Link #79
LeoXiao
思想工作

I think that the inequalities between pretty and ugly aren't significant enough of a problem to be compared to something like racial discrimination.
Old 2009-06-05, 02:17   Link #80
Throne Invader
Protecting the Throne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liddo-kun View Post

*voted yes on the poll
Wow. It's surprising that there are people who work in the medical field who treat good looking patients better than average or below average looking people. Just like Theowne, things like this concerning the medical field never, as in never dawned on me. But then, if good people do brighten your day and make you look forward to life with a happy cheerful smile in your heart, then I guess that part is ok. I'm not condemning you or being a thought police but if you know that you do tend to treat good looking people with more care, then you should all the more treat all the others like that. This was kind of funny

It's time to start letting her make her own decisions. - Mom's dermatologist~
Closed Thread