Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2004-10-11, 07:18   Link #1
furigana
Eurekaaaaaa!!!

Cutey Honey - Original series

Ep.1 of the original Cutie (Cutey?) Honey has been released!!! And a dvd version no less! I've been trying to find the original series since instantly falling in love with Re: Cutie Honey, and now it's here.... if only my torrent dl speed was faster....

and I really want to thank sailor spork productions (nice name btw : )) for doing this
Old 2004-10-11, 15:47   Link #2
ultrataro

Cutey Honey

Pretty cool to see. It's something of a piece of anime history. Of course being from the 70's, the animation is pretty dated & rough, but you can see where the character & color designs come from. And the music is pretty groovy, heh. Aparently what would be called fanservice now kind of got this series in trouble & I heard it was pulled early because of it. Guess Go Nagai was a pioneer!
Old 2004-10-11, 17:34   Link #3
furigana
Eurekaaaaaa!!!

Ok, watched the first episode. Yes, the animation is dated, but I can live with it. Some of the character designs were... in search of a better word, funny --

Spoiler:

It's fun to learn the background story from the original source and see the origins of fanservice, though. And despite it being old, the entertainment value is IMO still pretty high.
Old 2004-10-11, 17:35   Link #4
Ialdaboth

Quote:
Originally Posted by furigana
Ep.1 of the original Cutie (Cutey?) Honey has been released!!! And a dvd version no less!
Look like someone bought the beautiful Japanese DVD released earlier this year...

Was I the only one to think episode 2 of Re: sucked ?
Less fun, more fanservice (and less imaginative), less gifted director : not Re best episode, so far.

At last episode 3 trailer was much more promising.
Old 2004-10-11, 20:51   Link #5
brand
Deadly Ninja of Doom!

I love 70's anime don't ask me why. I really enjoyed Cutie Honey, it was just so freaking groovy.

I liked the second ep of Re: Cutie Honey but not as much as the first but I still thought it was a soild ep.
Old 2004-10-12, 13:59   Link #6
OldSchoolFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrataro
Pretty cool to see. It's something of a piece of anime history. Of course being from the 70's, the animation is pretty dated & rough, but you can see where the character & color designs come from. And the music is pretty groovy, heh. Aparently what would be called fanservice now kind of got this series in trouble & I heard it was pulled early because of it. Guess Go Nagai was a pioneer!
I especially enjoy the background designs myself, with their solid and flat range but a wide pallate of colors used, sorta mimicks a kind of "paint-by-numbers" look.

I've seen this series some years back from a VHS copy of an LD release put out years earlier, and it's nice to see a cleaned version of this one, though one thing I do remember seeing from my copy was a preview for episode 1 that's not on this digisub.
Old 2004-10-12, 14:12   Link #7
JoeStoppable
I'm Unstoppable

Send a message via AIM to JoeStoppable
I'm and old school anime watcher. So cutey honey is nothing new to me. I liked it, even though the characters designs were off the wall and not what most people of today like to see. I think thats why I liked it. Cause of the fact that its no regular anime.

Its actually far from a regular anime. I have seen most of the series. I wanna see the live action but I have no clue where to get it or download it. So if anyone knows hit me up.

But about the "Original Series" I guess if you wanna blast from the past you should watch it. Not exactly as exciting or as funny as the new animes of today. But its still good to watch it.
Old 2004-10-12, 14:36   Link #8
Ialdaboth

I second JoeStoppable : the original TV series was really good.
I would really like to see it again, on a European or US DVD edition. ^^

You can find the movie on YesAsia
Old 2004-10-19, 13:01   Link #9
Rebochan
Clubbing

Just watched episode 2. This is a series that were it not 30 years old I would probably hate. But because of it's place as an anime classic, it's got just enough leeway to be campy fun.

Thought I'd point out if the subber hangs around here - the artist of the statue was actually (at least according to the English on the statue) "Pecasso." The subtitle when Honey says it reads "Pekas." They would sound the same spoken, so that's probably where the confusion came from.

I plan on continuing to watch this zany little show. If nothing else, I'll be able to say I've watched it.
Old 2004-10-19, 16:22   Link #10
ultrataro

Oh, thanks for pointing that out! I actually edited an old script. That totally passed me by, details like that often get by. i didn't investigate closer. I also missed the Academy sign in the first ep.
And yay, they're going to be screening Cutie Honey live action movie here! Get to see it on big screen subtitled!
& about Re:Cutie Honey, I think I actually liked ep 2 better, we get to see more character development.
Anyway, enjoy!
Old 2004-10-21, 12:22   Link #11
Apterous
Cutie Honey Fansubber
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Apterous
Wahhh, sorry about that, we'll pay more attention... to the details...

Out of curiosity, who is interested in seeing Cutey Honey Flash, the 90's shoujo version that took over Sailor Moon's time slot? I'm not saying we have the resources, but if there's interest, I can start capturing the existing VHS fansubs and attempting to recruit people to help translate the remaining... (counts) 13 eps.

And for anyone who wants to know, it was "Cutey Honey" until the R2 DVD's came out, which had "Cutie Honey" plastered all over them. I'm taking that to be an official romanization. A few people have asked about that.
Old 2004-10-21, 12:30   Link #12
Ialdaboth

Out of curiosity, as you say, I'm interested. :lol:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apterous
And for anyone who wants to know, it was "Cutey Honey" until the R2 DVD's came out, which had "Cutie Honey" plastered all over them. I'm taking that to be an official romanization. A few people have asked about that.
Aaah, OK...
It's true that we were a lot people wondering about that.
Old 2004-10-21, 14:14   Link #13
Apterous
Cutie Honey Fansubber
*Fansubber

Send a message via MSN to Apterous
Heh... I think I'll put up a scan or picture from the packaging on Sailor Spork's website later. Also, someone has told me they could provide scripts for a few of the later eps, so I only really need a translator for... 8-9 eps. It may actually be harder to find raws at this point (I don't have the budget to buy DVD's for CH '73 and Flash)... this seems like a do-able project. I guess I'll post in the help-wanted section, I'm kinda getting off-topic posting this here...
Old 2004-10-21, 16:34   Link #14
furigana
Eurekaaaaaa!!!

I'd be interested in Cutey Honey F too.
I'm really enjoying what has been released of the original series so far, even if it is an old series.
Old 2004-10-21, 16:48   Link #15
dragon_shiryu

does anyone know where can i download these serieīs? i downloaded the first and the second eps. but thatīs it. and the second itīs in RAW
Old 2004-10-21, 17:30   Link #16
RyuHayabusa

Send a message via AIM to RyuHayabusa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apterous
Wahhh, sorry about that, we'll pay more attention... to the details...

Out of curiosity, who is interested in seeing Cutey Honey Flash, the 90's shoujo version that took over Sailor Moon's time slot? I'm not saying we have the resources, but if there's interest, I can start capturing the existing VHS fansubs and attempting to recruit people to help translate the remaining... (counts) 13 eps.

I wouldn't mind seeing the Cutey Honey F series. I've been interested in watching that as well. I hope you can do it. Are you also going to get the live action movie and fansub it when it comes out in december?
Old 2004-10-21, 17:58   Link #17
Rebochan
Clubbing

I'd love to get a look at the shoujo version. Since so much of the Sailor Moon staff moved on to work on that series, it should be quite entertaining to spot the similarities.

Thanks for addressing the "Pecasso" thing. To be honest, the english word on the statue goes by so fast I had to pause it to double-check. I can see why it would be easy to miss.
Old 2004-10-21, 22:39   Link #18
Renaissance Otaku
Shadow Member

Send a message via AIM to Renaissance Otaku Send a message via MSN to Renaissance Otaku Send a message via Yahoo to Renaissance Otaku
There is a vhs rip of Flash foating around. It looks awful though. Shame that it took 31 years for this to get subbbed.
Old 2004-10-21, 23:20   Link #19
andromeda

I think its fabulous that the folks at Spork are doing the original Cutie Honey! (Honey is by far my favourite "magical girl") I'd love to see Cutie Honey F subbed as well (but I wonder if its owned by ADV. In 2001 they bought something that they referred to as " Cutey Honey TV (Brand New) AX Announcement 07/05/2001" (copied from animeondvd's studio directory page on ADV), its listed as an unscheduled title). Anyone able to solve the mystery of this phantom Cutie Honey series that was licensed and never developed?
Old 2004-10-22, 00:53   Link #20
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebochan
I'd love to get a look at the shoujo version. Since so much of the Sailor Moon staff moved on to work on that series, it should be quite entertaining to spot the similarities.
I didn't see many similarities, but Cutie Honey F was very well done. Their expertise shows even though the style is a bit different.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
Closed Thread

Tags
action, ecchi